Greet the Evening
[html]
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1467/valtable.png) top center no-repeat; background-color: #486c49;">

Afternoon light filtered down through the boughs of pines, interlaced overhead. The air smelled fresh, spiced with the aroma of the evergreens and other forest flora. Valtiere had been travelling hard for several days - ever since he'd gotten wind of this pack. The pack that called this territory home, Sangi'lak, was home to Marecks if rumor was to be believed. It wasn't much to go on, but it was the closest thing to a lead he'd found since departing his previous pack. Loanaru... will I find you here? Searching for his old leader's daughter was the reason he'd been allowed to leave in the first place, although in truth he had more personal motives for his journey. The clan just hadn't felt like home after his mentor's passing, and although their lifestyle appealed to him, he'd hungered for something else... new horizons, a chance to truly find himself, and then make that self into something greater.

New scents joined those of the woodland, and new sounds - he was drawing close to the border. Crouching nest to a small gurgling river, the lithe male placed his pack of supplies carefully on a boulder and lowered himself into the water. His non-stop journey had had him traveling dusty paths under a hot sun, and sleeping on the bare earth most nights, with only a minimal camp set up. His fur smelled of campfire and traveling, and the grime and dust of his journey left him looking a bit bedraggled. Relishing in the cool water, he cleaned himself, first tending to his pelt, and then setting to work on his long, raven-hued hair. He combed through its length with dexterous fingers, patiently working out tangles and debris until it flowed long and smooth. If this truly was the pack he sought, it would not do to seek acceptance looking like a vagabond with no sense of hygiene.

His bath finished, he sat on a riverside stone, letting the warm sun dry him. The musical sound of the water flowing over smooth rock washed over him, and his thoughts drifted to how far he had come. The journey had taken several months, and he'd never seen or heard any trace of the girl Loanaru, who he sought. Val was the kind of individual who felt refreshed and recharged from spending time alone - he'd seen some amazing country on his way here. He'd found some supplies for trading, or fixing things, too - the leather bag beside him held scraps of metal, a few rabbit pelts, and a precious coil of copper wire, among other things. Still, a creature naturally inclined to pack life could only live alone for so long without suffering some decay of spirit, and it had been a long journey. Whether or not she's here... I think I might just stay, if this place is anything like I hope it will be, he thought to himself.

The sun had slipped behind the great, looming peak that seemed to guard over the territory. Feeling a chill on the evening breeze, Valtiere at last tied back his long hair with a strip of leather and gathered up his pack. Slinging it over his shoulder, he set off down the path, toward the border, feeling ready for whatever lay ahead. "Hello?" He called out when he reached it, standing, uncertain how long it would take someone to find him here. I don't want to trespass, he thought. After another moment, a ringing howl rose from his throat, echoing across the landscape in greeting and query.

Word Count: 594
Form: Optime
Walk "Talk!" Think

[/html]

Messages In This Thread