Salty Air and Wishful Thinking
[html]

Long post; wanted to respond to everything! Also, if this does start to turn more violent, I would prefer if we let Jordyn give her input first since this was originally her AW thread. Smile

There was something more going on here that Shiloh was ignorant of, having been in Nova Scotia for only a short week or so. Her first trip outside of the wooded territory of her new pack led her to this nasty encounter; that had to be a sign for something, and she had to swallow her heart as it threatened to claw its way up into her throat. Already the threat of Dawnrunners slowly drew nearer; now she had to deal with something like this? This spleenish mutt was either psychotic or was on a mission of some sort, and she was afraid in either case.

For all her innocent glances and good-natured smiles, however, the white she-wolf did not betray her fear. She had spent far too long being afraid of everything, every speck of dirt that landed on her fur, every enemy lurking in the shadows. She needed to be strong for the Stormbringers and for Vinátta, and damned if she was going to sit idly while this unnamed brute mocked her and the girl so close to her precious home.

The man shifted into his optime form, and Shiloh had half a mind to grab the girl and run off. In fact, it was only cold curiosity that kept her from leaving during those vulnerable minutes, and more than once she considered attacking him while his bones and muscles rearranged. Wearing a smile sweet as sunshine, she imagined just what she wanted to do.

The wolf approached, and Shiloh was quick to reach for the dog’s hand to pull her back and a little closer to herself. She wasn’t sure how well she’d be able to defend both of them, and she normally cared little for strangers, but they both needed an ally right now. She fought hard to keep her disgust from showing as the grey wolf drawled on, mocking the girl and her hunt for her family; the dog responded heatedly but childishly.

“I wouldn’t worry,” Shiloh whispered to her, her eyes not straying from the male even as she kept her voice very low. “He can talk all he wants about his little mountain, but there’s vast territory here; your family might have sheltered with one of the southern packs. I just found my family, after all.”

His words about her filth brought her attention completely toward him again, and she smiled curiously; it wasn’t hard to look confused about his meaning when she truly was. “What exactly do you know of my pack?” she asked. “I don’t like to think we’re filthy, anyway,” she said, tittering a laugh. “The territory around here is so beautiful and wooded by the lake.”

For each of her retorts he seemed to have another biting statement, and she shrugged her shoulders when he spoke of “courting weakness.” Some of the friendliness slipped from her words as she replied, speaking bluntly how she felt this time. “As far as I’ve learned, dear sir, regardless of their individual strength, making friends is far more valuable than making enemies; the more friends you have, the more are on your side, after all.” It was about as close to an open threat as she would reply with, although his was relatively out there.

When he spoke of a puppy king, her blue eyes momentarily narrowed. This was about her brother, about Vinátta, and more than the ravings of a racist, unkempt old wolf. She’d heard that the other pack was settled close, but she didn’t know that the others intended anything violent; this would likely be news to Saul.

“Sweetheart,” Shiloh said to the dog girl, “let’s find a new place to play that instrument of yours, okay?” Her hand reached for her arm again, hoping to grasp it firmly but gently and tug her back from the deranged wolf. She shot a smile in his direction, a last one that was sweet only in the way of subtle poisons. “As for you, sir, if you truly think your alpha would accept the responsibility of a prisoner and all that entails, you are welcome to try.”

+684

<style type="text/css">
.shflow2-fb b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff; letter-spacing:-.5px; text-shadow:#565931 1px 1px 2px;}
.shflow2-fb .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:3px; text-align:center;}
.shflow2-fb .line {width:410px; border-bottom:1px solid #fff; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
.shflow2-fb p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.shflow2-fb {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#c7cf71; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Ka9xi.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #565931; padding:310px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#565931; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread