Salty Air and Wishful Thinking
[html]

Probably my last post for the thread! Smile

It was certainly not the first time that Shiloh had heard threats, but she’d never heard anyone so full of hate toward someone they didn’t know. It frightened her, even if she swallowed the fright for the sake of the dog girl, who she touched softly with a hand as support. When the mangy wolf spoke of how his collective—what a strange word—had been turned away after peace offerings, however, she had to stifle a harsh laugh.

“My dear sir,” the Vináttan replied, “I am afraid I’m not inclined to believe you. You say that you come in peace, but you threaten this child with such violence? Your definition of friendship must be very different in your…Sangi’lak collective.” The words fell clipped from her tongue, and her mind worked behind her deceptively half-shut blue eyes. She was a bit biased, of course, to think that her brother wouldn’t be haughty, but she couldn’t understand Saul having anything but bad things to say to a group that promoted the capture and mutilation of innocent passersby. If they were enemies, then, it was right for them to be; Sangi’lak must be the bad guys just as the Dawnrunners were, although for a reason more fresh and justified than an old blood feud. If his words about the dog hides weren’t just a bluff, then they must truly be evil and must truly be named the enemy.

The wolf chuckled then threw his head back with a call, at which point Shiloh nearly panicked before judging the distances between their borders. Vinátta was close by, and unless there were members of his pack out and about, they could reach the safety of their home. She wrinkled her lips back into an ugly, silent snarl, baring her sharp teeth, before Jordyn reached for her paw. Not hesitating, Shiloh broke out into a run alongside her.

“Run until you reach my pack borders, the pine forest,” she said between heavy breaths, ears tilted back to listen for the approach of the male. “If they chase us there, they’re evil and suicidal.” She freed her hand from the other’s grasp, urging her with a sharp bark to quicken her pace; she wanted to stay between Jordyn and the grey brute. While she didn’t have her staff, she had enough basic training to earn the girl some time.

Shiloh didn’t know where she found the breath while she ran, but she managed to hurl a cry in the direction of Vinátta—calling to her brother, to Niernan and Bran, to let them know that they were coming and in possible need of help.

+437

<style type="text/css">
.shflow2-fb b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff; letter-spacing:-.5px; text-shadow:#565931 1px 1px 2px;}
.shflow2-fb .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:3px; text-align:center;}
.shflow2-fb .line {width:410px; border-bottom:1px solid #fff; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
.shflow2-fb p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.shflow2-fb {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#c7cf71; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Ka9xi.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #565931; padding:310px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#565931; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread