[J] I'm on a loose train now
OOC: Brilliant, cheers Big Grin I might have my eye on an AW already but I'll pop into the info thread too ;D

IC:
As the barely rehearsed spiel rolled off Everly's tongue she tried to imbue the words with confidence. Some of her doubts still made their way to her features: the odd creasing of her forehead, a furrowed eyebrow or the flick of a large ear. Her modest skills had been used with some success on her relatives and herself, but would they be valuable here? She had no frame of reference to gauge how the meeting was progressing. All she had to use as yardsticks were Ulilohi's expressions and movements. A nod could mean several things, as could a smile. Although the larger female was patient and likeable, one of Everly's rich brown paws found itself kneading the ground lightly, a completely subconscious movement which only ceased when the Aniwayan posed another question.

It had been many months since a younger Everly Skyfall had departed her place of birth but the memories still felt as fresh as unmarked snow. Well, not entirely – the colours were a little bit faded, the voices a little more muffled, but the feelings hadn't become less potent over time. A brother lost to violence; parents lost to weakness and age. A home overtaken by sadness.

A sigh emerged from downturned lips. ”My parents were already getting old when I was born. We kept ourselves to ourselves mostly, only ever wanted a peaceful life. Our neighbours started poaching off our land and when something had to be done they had numbers on their side. My brother went off to fight, I tried to go with him but I found myself back home with a lump on my head, sick family to nurse and a harsh winter up ahead.” The images seemed to be getting fuzzier now, and Ev had to blink her dandelion yellow eyes a few times to confirm with herself that they hadn't started producing tears. ”Father died a year later and Mother followed. Then there was just me and a whole lot of memories I wanted to go away.” Anger had crept into the loner's voice, making it shake slightly, but she exhaled slowly and straightened up a little. ”I saw my brother's face for the first time in a year, just in my own head, and I decided to outrun the memories.” Everly's voice, by the end, was threatening to crack again. She grinned sheepishly, tail held low. ”Obviously that worked a treat.”

(400 words)

Messages In This Thread