The Calm before the Storm
[html]

Word Count →

Augustus turned his head with hers trying to force her to meet his gaze. His fangs retreated a bit, though his muzzle remained wrinkled in a silent snarl. When she murmured the name it only solidified her guilt. The only consolation he had was that she hadn't lied to him, and the name was a spot on match to the one the wolfdog supplied him with. "Yes the two-legged mutt." The behemoth snarled. "And don't worry, my dear, I chased him off." A slight smirk curled his muzzle then, "he won't be coming back." Augustus was quite pleased with himself, not that the wolfdog had challenged him, but he'd been armed, even with his weapons the behemoth must have looked rather imposing. It gave him some sort of satisfaction that he could instill in others that sort of fear, while at other times it served only to annoy him, like those rare occurrences when he was actually trying to help.

He remembered that day with Zalen and Titania, he remembered it vividly and his eyes wandered. This was the very same pool where it happened. The irony of the situation caused his pelt to bristle a bit more. It was unsettling. That day for the first time he'd wanted to challenge his Alpha. Though he'd quickly submitted, he never trusted Zalen fully again, not like he had before, and the sable's male's every word, every move Augustus analyzed with great scrutiny. If he tried again, he would be at the mercy of the behemoth's fangs. A low growl rumbled through him at the thought and he stepped forward until his forepaws were on either side of his mate's shoulders. He buried his muzzle into her scruff roughly sniffing to ensure that his scent was still mingled unmistakably with hers, that his claim was still as fresh as they day they'd became mates.

Her words caused another grown to bubble forth. "I doubt that half-breed had balls enough to trespass, Ciara. Where I found him he was barely within scent range." Augustus snorted and backed away from her, beginning to pace to and fro as he did often when he was trying to control his temper. Her soft words called his attention again. "Damn right, I'm angry, but this only makes it worse. You should have told me once you returned. I shouldn't have had to find out from a- a stranger!" Alister's words angered him further as he'd pleaded for him to go easy on her, trying to make it seem like it was his fault, but she was the one who had disobeyed.

"I can't let what happened to Tharin happen to you, Epsilon or no." He shuddered again to think of it, the scars, his broken leg, the missing ear. That couldn't happen to his Ciara. "You belong to me, Ciara. And I won't let you get hurt. I won't." The behemoth had so few friends, and no kin here to speak of, save Ciara, and if something happened to her he'd be alone once again. Just as he had when they'd found his brother's broken body limp in the snow. He paused in his pacing and turned his head away as his yellow gaze softened, and refused to look at her.

<style>
.augwolf {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/8CTKy.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#f7fbff; width:500px; margin:0px auto; text-align: justify; padding:345px 0px 5px 0px; color:#858484; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:16px; border:1px solid #858484;}
.augwolf b {color:#785634; text-shadow:#858484 1px 1px 2px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.augwolf p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.augwolf p.ooc {font-style:italic;}
.augwolf .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #785634; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread