take this to your grave
[html]Congrats on Spotlight Soul! Big Grin

http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/snake.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:130px; padding-left:15px; padding-right:15px; padding-bottom:10px;">

Snake couldn’t say that either treasure hunting nor swimming were his favorite things to do—he barely knew how to do either. He had never really been around water, as New Haven had the remnants of a plumbing system and wells to drink from, and he had traveled with his parents mostly inland, and had never really wanted to go swimming just for fun. And treasure hunting, well. It wasn’t exactly the first thing he wanted to do when he had nothing else to occupy himself. He generally thought it a pretty wasteful pastime—what were the chances that you would actually find something?

Of course he wouldn’t tell his opinions to Daisuke, as he didn’t want to be the wolf’s buzz-kill. At the moment, the golden-furred canid was keeping pace with him, though he was moving in a way that wasn’t common when walking. Snake watched with a dull interest, though he didn’t make a deal out of it. At the question on if he could play one or not, Snake shook his head. “No. I tried to play my father’s banjo once, though. I don’t think I’m very musical.” It was weird, seeing as though both of his parents were. Sometimes things like that didn’t get passed through the genes.

As for reading, that was a different matter. His mom hadn’t known how to read until she met Laurel, who had tutored her wherever he could. Then this general teaching had trickled down to Snake. “A little bit, yeah.” He paused before continuing, “I can’t read a book or anything, but I can get the gist of signs and such. That’s how I found out that store back there—the sign said “pawn”, so I guessed it was a pawn shop and had a lot of weird stuff in it.” He looked to Daisuke, this time with interest. “I guess there wasn’t stuff like that were you’re from?” He had heard snippets about where Daisuke originated from (an island, he remembered), but he hadn’t been very intrigued until now.

Eventually, Snake got a hunch and started down another side-street. After a few more dozen yards, he saw something that might be what they were looking for. They were now in what was downtown Halifax, and a store had a sign over it that had the letters “MUS” in it. Those were the only letters he could distinguish, though—the rest of the sign was gone, from rain or otherwise. There was a treble clef next to the first letters. “Looks promising,” he said, walking to the doors of the store. They were not boarded, but he waited for Daisuke nonetheless. He thought it might be kind of rude, just barging in there without the general consent of his companion.

In the meanwhile, Snake tried to look through the front window. He couldn’t see much through the grime, but he could see a front desk, made of glass, with many strange objects in it. On the far wall he could see other things, dark shapes, but he couldn’t make them out—it just looked like a big gallimaufry.

table credit goes to sie
[/html]

Messages In This Thread