Stepping stones
[html]

OOC: whee fun!

WC: 431

Niro’s whole experience in Cour des Miracles had been surreal. Out of the two months he’d been there, he had not once had to fight, steal, sneak, hide, or otherwise do anything untrustworthy the whole time. Well he did have to sneak through the forest once or twice to get a good look at some birds, but that wasn’t what he meant in his minds eye. This place made him feel good. Home is where he was and he was going to actually help. He’d patched the roof in the hotel, where he had found a leak, an easy fix of course, he wasn’t even sure anyone had noticed it, but his real work would begin soon. He was putting out his trap now. He didn’t like it so early, but reading a little more on the birds he was to catch their seasons were all sporadic, he had put out his trap, since the trap was so large and he didn’t have the materials for another right now he had to settle with the one trap he had, but then again, he didn’t have more than two cages. So he was happy in small ways.

He was whistling to himself as he moved along the grass, it wasn’t hard to spot the trap and he sauntered up to it, looking inside he sighed. No catch. The rabbit he’d caught the other day was still hopping around… maybe it was a little big for the hawks to get? He contemplated and figured he’d get one of the barn rats to replace the rabbit. He started checking his structure making sure it was sound before disappointedly walking away from it. He didn’t know how he would handle a wild bird anyway with their sharp talons and beaks. Well he’d figure that out when he got to that point for now, all he had was a towel he’d found in his room and it was hanging over his shoulder loosely. He knew that it was better to blind the bird before picking it up, for some reason it would always calm them. He rubbed the pouch that was at his side… his new addition would be coming soon anyway, he reassured himself. Then he’d have his hands full just feeding the little thing, and once it was old enough teaching it to hunt and take care of itself as well as the members of the pack, not in full of course. It was a cool day but warm enough for him to enjoy it so he was heading slowly back to the hotel.

<style>
.niro-b02 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.niro-b02 b {color:#FEA300;}
.niro-b02 {background-color:#030400; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010apr/niro2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 325px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7B8641; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.niro-b02-border {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; }
.niro-b02-separator{width:350px; border-bottom:1px dotted #F6BF2E; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

There was little Anann knew about her new home. She had met so few of her packmates so far. They seemed to be fairly spread out through out the pack lands. It was quite the change from the colony she had grown up in. She could appreciate this much quiter life though. For it was solitude she had saught back home. Though she was rarely ever truly alone. Her dark horse a near constant companion. While perhaps not always in sight he never lurked to far away. Never out of the reach of sharp whistle or howl. It was going from a life full of responsibility and duty to one nearly void of both. At least on the scale that Anann was used to. She had trouble finding ways to fill her day as it was still far too cold for her to start tanning or even making the large vats she would need for soaking the skins. Until the ground thawed she wouldn't beable to start any of the pottery or work on the foundation for her cabin.

The tides had turned since her recent trip south, however. Having met up with an old friend she had picked up something she had left behind when she came north. A few things were items she had requested he try to find for her. Being a trader, her friend had come through and Anann now had a set of Hardwood Sabres. Perfectly weighted and balanced to match the two steel blades she used. She had not wanted to dull the blade of her swords with practice. While she practice stance and breathing, she had not struck an object with a blade in a long time. Now she scanned the pack land, looking for a worthy opponent. Her eyes scanned high above the ground. Searching for a birch tree that failed to bud with new life. Trunk straigt and void of lower limbs. The bark peeled away, evidence there was no life left in the old tree. Having found such a tree. Anann took her stance. The wooden blade in her left hand slightly longer than the one in her right. Clack. Clack. Cla-Clack. Clack. Dodging a series of unseen counter-attacks she repeated the process.

<style type="text/css">
.anann004 b {font-weight:bold; color:#83a3d3; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:1px; }
.anann004ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#475466; text-align:right;}
.anann004 p {text-indent:px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.anann004 {margin:0 auto; width:365px; background-color:#eaebff; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... 6a-001.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #475466; padding: 0px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#475466; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: I was gonna reply to this last night and forgot, oh well >.<

WC: 359

Clack

Clack

Clack

Niro heard something in the distance. He swiveled his ears to where the sound was coming from, it was a little behind him… has that been going on? When did it start? He turned his head to see an old dead tree he didn’t pay attention to as he passed by, and saw something behind it moving rapidly. It couldn’t have been a bird, although woodpeckers were partial to just finding trees to make their homes this wasn’t ahme for one and whatever it was wasn’t a woodpecker, it was too slow. And it sounded as it it was wood hitting wood. He cautiously moved to where he could get a better view.

To his surprise he saw another wolf, with what looked like wooden swords. An art that Niro didn’t really dive into, although what this wolf was doing really did look like fun. He watched as she moved around dodging something he couldn’t see, was there something there, or some kind of practice session? He wasn’t sure, but interrupting her would mean making her stop and she looked rather good at what she was doing. He knew good and well that she couldn’t have been fighting anything on the tree unless it was some kind of bug that was spitting at her… or a snake but with the way she moved he was sure it would be dead without his help. So he just stood there as she whacked on the tree, he made no movement to pretend he wasn’t there but none saying he was either, not for a good few minutes. He cleared his throat, and spoke.
I’m no swordsman, but that’s some handy work.

He said, of course he was telling the truth, that was much better than he could do with a sword, although he couldn’t tell her if she was the best swordsman, he rarely saw anyone handling a sword before and even then he couldn’t say much about any of the others, fighting was not an interest of him. But learning wouldn’t be so bad he wasn’t sure how much time he would have for something like that.

<style>
.niro-b02 {background-color:#030400; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010apr/niro2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 325px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7B8641; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.niro-b02-separator{width:350px; border-bottom:1px dotted #F6BF2E; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

There was nothing left in the world. Nothing but the amber hued fem and her blades. Her mind was focused. On her stance. The placement of her feet as she dodged imaginary attacks and as she pushed forward to assault the tree with another volley of blows. One her breathing as she swung the hardwood swords arcing gracefully through the air and struck against the aged trunk. On the vibration the flowed from her hand and through her arms and shoulders on impact. Nothing else matter. There was nothing else.

Even though the fight was far from real Anann could still feel the blood race through her veins. The excitement. In her mind's eye the tree was a much livelier opponent. Anann did not know whom or where to seek for a sparring partner of flesh and blood. One the could dodge and parry. And perhaps offer a challenge. She hoped there would be opportunity for such a thing. She could not imagine being the only one in the region to wield such a weapon.

Time was of little consequence. Her mind to preoccupied to note its passage. Apparently so much so that she also failed to a snort off in the timber. A signal from her horse that she was no longer alone. Instead she was ignorant to the presence of her pack mate until his voice broke threw the barrier, shattering the private little world she had escaped to. Peering around the tree, now completely bare of its shedding bark where the wooden blade had shattered the parchment like covering. Oh, hello there. Her tone sharing in the surprise at his sudden appearance. Sudden to her at least. The alabaster young man's interesting hair holding her gaze. She had never seen anyone wear their hair in a stiff ridge atop their head. How did he get it to stay like that? How long have you been there? Curious how long she had been being watched without her knowing. Unaccustomed to being snuck up on. Her gaze focused more on his face now, rather than above it.

<style type="text/css">
.anann003 b {font-weight:bold; color:#8fb5b6; letter-spacing:1px; }
.anann003ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#c7dadb; text-align:right;}
.anann003 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.anann003 {margin:0 auto; width:347px; background-color:#000200; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ann003.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #aebabb; padding: 200px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#aebabb; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 306

He smiled at her when she finally noticed him, and worded her greetings. She looked at his Mohawk, something he rarely noticed these days except in the morning when he could feel the invisible wolves looking at his bed head until he fixed it up.

Only a few minutes, really, you seemed at peace, but I would rather you know I was here really.

He said looking at the swords in her hands, they were quite interesting, although he was never interested in fighting. The only kind of fighting he liked was the hunting kind of fighting. Maybe it was because of the books he read in Orin’s stash when they were in Florida, that he didn’t care too much about it. The hero always won, he wasn’t the one to take books too seriously but there were times that he seemed it was right to do so.

I don’t know much about sword fighting though, I was quite entranced by your practice.

He said, he wasn’t lying, normally things like this would pass him by, but it looked as if it was some kind of artistic style rather than it be a blade going into something to kill it. He wondered if he could do something like that as an art style.

<style>
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

The amber hued fem panted lightly. A broad smile placed open her open maw. Her tongue hanging slightly from her jaws. She had been enjoying herself greatly. Visualizing the foes from sparring matches of long ago. I was rather enjoying myself. It had been a long time since I'd been able to practice more than just stances and breathing. I just recently got theses," She said raising the blades in her hands. "I did want to dull my steel blades with simple practice. These hardwood blades can still take a lot of abuse." Anann's swords, but the steel and wooden versions were luperci creates. Inspired by the human relics left behind, but dwarfed them in comparison. Her blades were crafted for the larger luperci hands and strength. "I'm Anann, by the way. It's nice to meet you." Nearly forgetting she had yet to properly introduce herself.

Dark brown orbs gave her gave these newly found pack mate a once over. It was now the leather satchel strapped to him that caught her eye. It was odd, and seemed to be hold something against him, as she could see no opening on the outside of it. Oddly noting the towel over his shoulder as well. Wondering briefly what he was up to. "Too bad you don't know how to sword fight, I'd love to have a living, breathing sparring partner. She pointed a blade towards the pouch strapped to his leg. "What's that? If you don't mind me asking. Curiosity getting the best of her. "And what's the towel for? Is there a hot spring here? She asked excitedly. A bath sounded wonderful, but it was still far too chilly to be dipping into just any ol' body of water. And she could think of no other reason for toting a towel around.

<style type="text/css">
.anann003ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#c7dadb; text-align:right;}
.anann003 {margin:0 auto; width:347px; background-color:#000200; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ann003.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #aebabb; padding: 200px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#aebabb; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 436

He looked at the swords she showed him, they were nice looking, definitely better than using normal sticks, he looked up at her and asked;

Mind if I hold one?

He was interested more in the craftsmanship it took to make the wooden sword than the actual feel and heft of it. He was more of a builder than he was a killer, although he did love the hunt. That was the sport he lived for. She did have a good reason for not wanting to use her steel. Seel was good and all but better used when in actual need.

It is a pleasure to meet you my name is Niro

He smiled at Anann, he loved meeting new people and she looked like she was a little newer than he was. He saw her eyes move down to his pouch and then back up, he looked down wondering if he had his hand on his strap again pulling at the string, he had made it an accidental habit to pull at the string of the sling.

Nah only type of fighting I like to do is the type that gets me my food. Although I wouldn’t mind a few self defense tricks. I only know what I learned off the street from down south.

He said, and that wasn’t much considering it was hit and run and much of the time there was no way to make it out of the hit. When she asked about the sling he smiled proudly, and lifted it enough to where she could see the egg snuggled insie the pouch. It wasn’t a really small one but it wasn’t massive either. It was grey speckled and smooth to the touch. When she mentioned the towel and the hot springs he laughed.

I know nothing of a hot spring around here, there might be one, but this towel is for a raptor, I was checking my trap. Birds don’t squirm around so much if they are blinded, and less injuries.

He said, he wndered how that would sound to someone who knew nothing about birds.

I’m trying to catch falcons or hawks to train to help us hunt. They have great eye sight and are exceptional hunters and trackers. If I can train them they can spot some food on a hunt, and even hunt sme stuff for us!

He said, although he knew perfectly well that the birds wouldn’t keep any sane wolf from hunting, it was easier to have one to help around at least. Well that’s what he thought, he wasn’t sure about the other wolves.

<style>
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

congrats on spotlight soul!!!<3

Quickly flipping on the blade in her right hand end for end. Anann gripped the sword by its wooden blade to the young man. "These are no human relic either. Made by our kind. Fit the hand much better than any human sword ever would." She smiled broadly. Despite what she thought about the ruling class in her prior home, she was still proud of the craftsmanship that was produced there. The Tosawi people made many quality products. Some inspired by human relics sure, but built for luperci use. "Perfectly weighted and balanced to match my steel blades." Okay, so she was bragging slightly, but she was quite proud of her swords and no one yet had taken interest in her skill. Not that anyone had really been given the opportunity to do so.

Niro pulled back an edge of the sling that held the egg close to his fur. To Anann it appeared huge. Larger than any egg she could recall seeing. Though she didn't exactly go poking around in the nest of raptors to see what their eggs looked like. "That's a pretty big egg. What breed of bird is that?" She was impressed. It was bold undertaking, carrying for an egg and the hatchling it produced would be quite time consuming she imagined. "OH! I see, that makes sense." She said as he explained the towel. "I was really hoping there might be a hot spring. I'd love a bath and its just been too cold yet." She laughed realizing how her question must have seemed odd.

Anann herself knew nothing of birds of prey or how one would go about communicating with one and training one. Horses were easy for her. She had grown up around them, nearly raised by one as it were. She had no doubt though training the birds could be done as Niro said. She had read very little about falconers in her studies back home, but she had never heard of a wolf attempting such a feat. "It sounds amazing. Although I have no idea how you could go about taming a wild bird." Anann imagined it would take a significant amount of trust and respect between the two predators for them to work together. "You intend to training your hatchling too?" She asked, though she figured the only answer was yes. She found the idea very intriguing indeed.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 575

OOC: Thanks!!!

Niro could hear the pride in her eyes as she handed over the wooden sword. And she was quite pleased with it. He didn’t blame her the wood was as solid as it could be, heafy, a fine piece of work, except for some knicks from use it was smooth, he checked its weight, although she said it was specified to the sword she had, it was heavier than what he would want to carry, but was that because he never handled a sword? He weighed it in his mind, the wood itself was suppose to be lighter than this. But it was a bit heavier in fact. He pondered the thought as he handed it back

How is it weighed down? That wood is good but not normally that heavy is it?

He asked, he wasn’t a wood expert he only knew enough to carve and build with it. This was an art to which he couldn’t use. Then he beamed with pride of his own when she asked about the egg remarking the size of it. It was hell to get out of that nest on the cliff he thought.

It is a golden eagle, I found the nest by the cliffs over the water. I got lucky with it, my favorite birds happen to be the golden eagle.

Then he smiled at her mistake about the towel and let her finish with her comments and questions. He hoped there would be a hot spring from what he was told summer didn’t get much warmer than this.

I hope there is a hot spring around here too, I’ll make sure to find you if I encounter one! I’m excited about catching a bird, if I do catch one I know good and well it’ll take me at least six months to have it fully trained, but I’m not pushing it! The first idea you get is, you aren’t taming a bird your are befriending it, making it a partner, showing it that if it works it gets what it desires most. Food. But the trust factor will be the hardest of all I think, and yes my hatchling will be trained and honed to the hunt as well. Although I honestly think he’ll be the only one that gets the freedom he’d desire.

He said, that thought hurt him a little, he’ll do as much as he can for the birds but he’s still have to tether them just like the horses when they aren’t doing business, he knew if trained right they would stay with whoever is in charge, and that would be the whole pack over the birds. He wondered if he was getting himself in more than he actually could handle?

It is like taming your horse over there. Patience, care, although birds are twice as skittish and hate loud noice. So nickering and whistling are out of the question until they get use to things. But the training is sort of like a horse except with a flesh eating beak.

He went on, he laughed at his second part, although he treated it as a joke he hoped he’d get few bites or scratches from the birds. He felt like a teacher now, and it didn’t feel like he should be one, rather an awkwardness to the air when he got his scholar face on, but he was so excited about this whole project he couldn’t help it

<style>
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

you're new avatar is awesome!

As Niro looked at one hardwood blade, Anann slipped the other under the belt on her hips. Her hand rested on the hilt of the sword in a casual manner. The tall woman was glad to his interest in the craftsmanship. Not all creatures appreciated such things. Anann could do very little with wood herself. She could make a handle for an axe or a frame to stretch leather, but that's as far as her skill went. "It's weighted with a metal I think. Perhaps silver. I don't know the details of how it's made to be honest." Taking her blade back from Niro she placed it on the other hip.

Anann's soft smile broadened as she listened to man talk about the birds. It was obviously a topic he loved. He spoke passionately about it and his face held so much enthusiasm. Anann nodded. Agreeing with Niro that it was partnership one must make with the birds. Not an act of domination. "I'm sure the principles are quite the same and horses I can understand. Though I would be interested in learning about the birds sometime. Perhaps once you have a few?" Anann learned best by doing. Although first she would want to watch Niro work with his birds. "Have you trained many birds already?"

Anann realized suddenly that Niro would more than likely need her skill as a leather crafter. "I make and work with leather. If you want I could make you some gloves Or maybe even some other protective gear. Not to mention tethers for the birds." She offered. It was good to see her skills were needed here. And glad it was leather crafting and not the swordsmanship that made her useful. "I haven't gotten set up to make new leather yet. But I do have some leather ready to go." It wouldn't be too much longer and Anann would soon be able to start working on making large basins to soak the skins in. But first she still needed to finish her house.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: thanks I love it too Big Grin

He smiled when Anann seemed interested in his project, it made the whole thing more worth it.

I’ll be sure to find you once I have a few trained

He said sincerely although at her next question, Niro’s face dimmed. Would he have loved to train birds, but knowing this was a new life for him, a way to start over he smiled again, and shook his head no

Best time to start is now I suppose. I am just having trapping problems but once that’s done and over with I’ll be good as gold.

The mention of leather perked Niro back up to his full and utmost happy attention ever. He love working with his hands, and something like leather crafting would be just up his ally, he’d already learned how to cure a hide and make it into leather, that’s how he made his pouch but he’d never learned how to sew leather together to make it into anything more than something really simple.

Could you really? Gloves would be a blessing, I know those talons could be a bit much for my fur but I know I have to work with what I have, do you think you could teach me some? I know a little about leathermaking, I taught myself, I made the sling around my shoulder, it isn’t the best but it does its business, but I’d love to have something else to work with.

He said with enthusiasm, he was smiling and his hand rubed on the leather pouch he’d made. He was loving this place more and more.

<style>
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

<3

The young man's enthusiasm and excitement had a contagious nature to it. As both wolves now had broad grins across their maws as they talked about their individual skills. "I'd love that. It sounds very interesting, and the advantage of eyes in the sky would be amazing." Aside from the hunting advantage, Anann could not ignore the tactical advantage if the Miracles pack ever found itself in the situation of war. While it was not something Anann hoped for, she could not help but think of way to prepare for such a thing. It was simply her nature.

Niro's face suddenly changed. Anann worried her question had hit a nerve. He seemed rather young and Anann had figured he probably didn't have too much experience. Anann had been about ready to offer words of encouragement, when the smile came back to Niro's face. Anann instead just nodded, adding "Just remember patience. I'm sure there will be..frustrations, just don't let them get you down." Giving Niro a wink. He seemed determined and confident. She reckoned he would achieve his goal.

Leather too, seemed to peak the mans interest. Anann chuckled lightly at his eager attitude. "Sure thing. Gloves would be fairly easy. Anything more clothing like though and I'd probably have to go beg Strelien for help. He lives in the hotel, have you met him?" A small trickle of laughter again escaped her maw. "I suppose I could teach you. Leather working as well as some of those defense moves you mentioned earlier. If your interested. Though I can't teach you all my trade secrets or what use will I be?" Her tail swayed steadily behind her. "What about the horses? Have you learned to ride or have any interest in it?" She knew it was something that suited everyone. It was also not a task the young man would to undertake while he still carried his egg around. She highly doubted he would risk falling off a horse and possibly ending the life growing in the spherical shell.

<style type="text/css">
.anann004 b {font-weight:bold; color:#83a3d3; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:1px; }
.anann004ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#475466; text-align:right;}
.anann004 {margin:0 auto; width:365px; background-color:#eaebff; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... 6a-001.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #475466; padding: 0px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#475466; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 323

The main reason is for the sky advantage, since we hunt things bigger than the birds, but they can help in other ways

he hadn’t thought about wars or anything. He was thinking along the lines of smaller game and also messages between packs, that would be slightly more difficult thought but if he could implement it, things would probably be different. When she went back to the leatherwork talk, he was stuck on it. He was so happy he would get to be taught how to do better with leatherworking he wanted to leap with pure joy. But he surpressed the need and answered instead

No I have not met him yet but I’ll make it a priority to when I have the chance!

His life was going to be full of excitement, and wonder, the days were sure to go by too fast for him now because he’ll have a lot to do. The blood drained from his face at the mention of a horse, he was not terrified of them, he didn’t mind touching them or patting them but riding them? He never gave it a thought before. He knew others did that was ok with him but he wasn’t so sure about himself being on the back of a horse.

I… think we should take it one step at a time, horses are cool and all but maybe a lesson now might be too much for me.

He said nervously, he was interested in the thought but he doubted he’d be a very good horsewolf. He’d figure it out later, maybe if he got bored.

Although the defense lessons wouldn’t be so bad.

He didn’t want to be vulnerable anymore, since he was when he was in florida, he learned some things or he wouldn’t be alive today, but if someone was willing to teach him something he didn’t already know he’d be up for it any day.

<style>
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

I'll be honest I got real excited when I first read Niro's profile. I had had the idea in the back of my head that Anann might find a redtail with a broken wing at some point before I even brought her to souls. Niro is quite the catalyst to that idea!

She loved the idea of training the birds. While she couldn't help but think of the war time advantage she could also see the other advantages as well. Spotting and tracking large game was one. Even the prospect of the bird even hunting smaller prey would be significant reason enough for the attempt. The companionship and bonds that would have to be formed with the bird would also be beneficial. Even if only to Niro himself. "oh I'm sure it'll help out the pack in numerous ways! Have many of the others seemed interested? Anann figured he raptors would be much like the horses. Few would depend on them, making them a core part of there life. While others would not see the sense in the birds at all. There would always be those somewhere in the middle though. Anann didn't know exactly where she would fit. She would just have to wait and she how she got along with the birds herself.

It seemed Niro was definitely not one for the horses. The wide look in his eyes as she mentioned a riding lesson was enough to tell her it wasn't for him. Not yet at least. "Its best not to ride if your not comfortable with the idea. Like your birds, its not something everyone enjoys. You have to want it." There were horses in the stables that anyone would be capable of riding, no matter the skill. Horses like the pale stallion Ruri rode would hardly be affected by the nervousness of a novice ride. "If you're ever interested the offer stands. Heath or I either one would be more than happy to help." She added casually, not wanting him to feel pressured to try. "It would be nice if you'd stop by the stables to pick up your gloves, it shouldn't take long to put them together. I'm there most mornings." She looked to his hands trying to gauge there size. Anann was quite large for a woman and his hands appeared to be fairly close to hers in length. Though being a man his were probably thicker. She held up her own hand fingers slightly spread. "Mind matching up. If you hands are much larger than mine I'll need you to come by sooner so I can cut the leather to the right size or if you wanted them to be your first leather lesson." She felt a bit out of shape to be giving fighting lessons, although it was unlikely anyone else would think so. Perhaps she wasn't as muscled and toned as she had been when she left the Midwest, but she was still in shape. She just wasn't back at her peak yet.

<style type="text/css">
.anann003 b {font-weight:bold; color:#8fbbb5b6; letter-spacing:1px; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/ ... /Niro2.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat; padding-bottom:60px; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; line-height:13px; ">

OOC: Haha well you could always still find one, cause Niro's learning how to take care of them and that also means being a birdy vet ^^

WC: 317

----------------

So far everyone who’s seen it seems interested, well except for little Amaranth she just thinks it’s weird. But Rurik helped me out with building the trap for the other birds I’m going to be training.

He said, he reminisced the day he and Rurik built the trap, it was a good day, one he was sure to remember his life, (and if he didn’t he was sure that Orin would come find his journal, making sure he was writing in it and read it to him.) he’d taught Rurik a little something about putting together a trap (or even a cage, it was basic principal), and Rurik taught him how to fish, he loved how being in a pack had its ways of teaching, and learning, being in a pack was the best thing Orin could have thought of. He smiled nervously as the conversation went back to the horses and nodded. He didn’t mind being near them, their smell was unusual, but to sit on one made him rather nervous. He wasn’t sure how well he could do at sitting on a horse and actually staying on but she didn’t press the matter. Which relieved him, maybe after his bird was grown he’d try to actually get on a horse. At her request and explanation he nodded,

I’d love for it to be my first lesson.

He said, he hesitated about touching the other wolf, not because he didn’t like to touch others, he just never had, well not anyone but his sister or parents who were now gone. He held his hand up to hers, he was a bit taller than her, but his hands were only slightly longer, and of course thicker too, he waited for her to look it over, he didn’t want to pull back too soon, although just having his hand near hers kinda made him feel rather strange.

[/html]
300+
[html]

and just for reference...a pattern for the gloves. I was kinda vague, so they can work inside or outside.

It was good to hear that there was plenty of interest in Niro's project. The names mentioned were new to her, obviously members of their pack she had yet to meet. "I'm afraid I don't know who Amaranth and Rurik are. I'm fairly new to the pack. Though I have been here for over a month so I suppose that is little excuse." Anann wondered what kind of trap one used for catching birds. One that would leave the birds unharmed at that. Since it was unlikely he would want to risk injuring the birds while catching them. A question for another time perhaps.

"Well if you have the time, we could head to the stables and get started on your gloves. It's a short walk." She figured it was as easy to do it now as to try and arrange another time that they could get together for the task. He was eager to get started catching and training his birds and the gloves would make the task much safer, if not easier. "Right now all my leather and things are at the stables, until I can get my home built." Anann had a dislike for human buildings. Particularly the relatively low ceilings and doorways. She could stand without crouching, but that was about the extent of it.

As they headed towards the stable, the black stallion did not wait for them. The dark beast headed off at a trot, leaving the two canines to themselves. Anann was glad for the fact that he did not watch over her constantly anymore. They were both settling into their new home. "So what got you interested in birds? She asked, just trying to make conversation for their trip. Once they arrived at the stables Anann headed to the tack room, retrieving one of the duffel bags she had traveled with. Filled mostly with leather, rolled in bundles and a few scraps folded up. There were a few pouches as well, holding needles of both bone and steel. As well as a large spool of thin cord. Opening one pouch, contain vine charcoal for marking the pattern on the leather.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 312

OOC also assuming that she has yet to open the bag, just tell me if I made a mistake and I shall reword it ^^

Oh well I’m sure you’ll meet them soon, they are nice wolves.

He said, feeling bad, knowing she was new and he’d assumed she knew who he was talking about. But she seemed to shrug it off herself and mentioned working on the leather now, he grinned brightly, it was nice to know someone who didn’t want to postpone work when it could just be done simply quickly. It would be nice to have a pair of gloves to use with the birds, that way he wouldn’t have any unnecessary scars. He listened as she explained about her things then building her a house! Wow, that was some project

If you need any help with that, I’d be glad to help you out, I’m good with my hands, and well building things is a hobby of mine.

he watched as the horse trotted ahead of them and looked at Anann questioningly, but she didn’t seem worried that the horse would run off so he supposed it would stay around the territory. Her question caught him off guard, he’d almost forgotten what had really gotten him into birds.

I think I was really young when I first saw a hawk catching a rabbit. The sight of it was just amazing, seeing the bird swoop down from ahead, and snatch it as if it was a twig. My mom thought my interest was not good for a pup, though, but I knew I was destined to be close to birds

He waited outside for her, he didn’t mind working in the stables, but it was a nice cool day and it wasn’t as smelly, so working outside was probably best, and watched as she came out with the bag full of stuff, he perked is ears up curious as to what was inside, and waited for her to open it and show him

<style>
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

Anann set the leather duffel back on the ground. Opening the bag she pulled a roll of leather. Laying it flat on the ground unrolled she continued to pull more things from the bag. The spool of cord for threading and a pouch of needles. Along with the pouch of vine charcoal and a bit of scrap leather for making the thumb part of the gloves. She laid everything out before she began to explain how they would start."Okay, first we are going to mark the pattern for the gloves on the leather. I don't keep any pattern stencils, so we will just trace your hand." She held up her own hand to help explain. Tucking her thumb in and against her palm. We wont trace the thump for the main body of the glove. Just the fingers, palm, and wrist. I assume you want your gloves to almost to the elbow?" It would be wise to protect the tendons in the arm for the sharp talons of the bird she assumed. So long as the large cuffs wouldn't get in his way. They would be cut separately though. "The front and back of the glove will be one piece. Folding on the side of your first finger and thumb. I'll explain the thumb later. First we will just want to trace your hand palm up and palm down. Leave about an inch between your hand the line you trace. Any questions?" She asked as she held out a piece of the charcoal for him to use. Since he had wanted to learn she figured she would let him do as much of it as he wished to. "Also make a small mark to mark the location of your wrist. It will help us put the thumb in the correct location." She add almost forgetting the small step.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 367

Niro watched as Anann pulled out the tools to make and stitch the leather together, and kept his ears up, perked, listening to her as she showed him what he should do and paid special attention. He nodded when she asked if he wanted it elbow length, which certainly would be best when working with the large birds. When she handed him the charcoal he took it with apprehensive hands and knelt on the ground putting his hand on the leather she supplied, noting it was cured much nicer than he’d been able to do. He slowly moved the charcoal around his hand, estimating the inch Anann had told him to give, and pulled his hand away, seeing the missing thumb and grinned.

It looks so strange without a thumb.

He said, then remembering he had to make a notch for his wrist he put his hand back and made the note of where the wrist started on both sides of the leather. He looked up at Anann and hoped he was doing it right, as he sat back up and put the charcoal down. He wasn’t the best when it came to drawing things out, but he thought he did pretty good. And knowing he’d get better if he did something like that often, tracing or what not. He only cared that it looked like a hand….without a thumb.

I hope that’s ok, now what?

he asked excitedly, wagging his tail a little, absolutely thrilled at this learning experience. He knew he was proud of himself for getting this far, and he’d probably have to give his sister another huge thank you for getting him to come with her, or he wouldn’t be learning all of this stuff now. And he was sure to replace the leather that Anann was letting him use for his gloves. He was sure to hunt up something soon enough. He didn’t want to get something for nothing, if that happened well he’d feel like he was a mooch and nothing more. He’ll think about repayment later but now he was in the process of learning how to make something extra nice that would help him in the long run.

<style>
</style>[/html]
300+
[html]

some slight pp let me know if you have a problem with anything.

Anann was glad that Niro was eager to take on the task himself for the most part. Not that she would have minded making the gloves for him. She watched as he traced the first half, nodding approve of the space he left between his hand and the charcoal he worked with. "It does look silly and the thumb is the trickiest part." She helped get his hand properly paced for the other side. His lines were straight and steady. "Looks good. You seems you have a pretty steady hand." she commented as she checked his work a second time.

She pulled the small blade from its sheath that was strapped to her thigh. Strelein was the only other that had yet to see the blade. The blade was obsidian strapped to its wooden handle. The glass like rock was razor sharp. Leather work was its main use, defensive its second. "Just cut one side first and we will fold it over and make sure it lines up properly before you cut the rest. Then you can use the one as a stencil for the other. Cut to the outside of you line. It is much easier to cut extra off later than to try and add more." In fact it was more likely the would be forced to redo it all if it was cut too small.

When he had the first part of the glove completely cut free she stopped him. "Lets make sure we have a large enough pattern before we start the next." She showed him how to roughly fit the glove by wrapping it around his hand and pinching the edges together to make sure it was large enough to fit comfortably and still having enough for the seam. She had to help him with the finger as one set of hands could hardly keep the unsown glove together. Once they were sure they were the right size she let Niro start working on the second.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]