caught in this tangled maze
[html]

for liliana (wc: 514)

Yesterday, Theodoric had spent a fairly significant period of time in the stables looking after his two ponies. He went with the pretense of grooming the sweet mare and her standoffish mate, but really he had gone for the equines’ quiet company. Armed with sweet treats and plenty of patience, he had groomed both ponies until the dapples in their hide shone. Suthen had even allowed Theodoric to plait her mane and tail into neat braids. Duncan, however, had stamped his hooves warningly when Theo began to do more than comb the knots out of his mane. He took the hint, and left the proud stallion’s hair unbound.

The several horses housed in the AniWaya stables generated a fair amount of body heat. But the stable had been built with the tribe’s growth in mind, and there were many open stalls. Theodoric had found, therefore, that he grew rather chilled during the hours he spent at the stable, despite the exercise of grooming. Granted, he didn’t have the highest tolerance for cold, but he imagined that if he had gotten chilly with a significant amount of movement that the horses, especially the old and the young, would get cold standing around all day.

So Theodoric returned to the stables today, a small pouch of treats laced to his belt and a measuring cord in hand. The thin rope was knotted at even intervals along its length and was a handy tool for estimation. Theodoric really didn’t know what he was doing – he wasn’t much of a tailor and he certainly had never attempted to make blankets for horses before. He figured he could estimate the amount of cloth needed today and start weaving, and perhaps another of the tribe could help with the final product.

Since both of his ponies were about the same size, Theodoric chose the more mild-mannered Suthen for the project. She stood patiently in the stable hallway, contentedly nibbling on the sweets her luperci had brought while the grayscale Gatlvksa measured her from withers to hooves and mane to tail. The dappled mare cooperated brilliantly and the process took only a few minutes. After returning her to her stall, Theodoric was at a loss. He really wanted to make blankets for all of the horses in the stable, or at least the ones that looked like they had thinner winter coats. Since arriving in AniWaya, he really hadn’t done anything to benefit the pack in general, and he was eager to be of use.

But Theodoric was inexperienced with equines larger than his two fourteen-hand ponies, and, frankly, the larger horses intimidated him. Even if he was comfortable with horses, those in the stable belonged to other tribe members, and he wouldn’t handle them without permission. Of course, he could wait around the stables and try to catch each member individually, but that would take and waste time. He would much rather get a good idea of how much cloth he needed and start right away. Theodoric sighed softly and remained outside his mare’s stall, hesitating and indecisive.

<style type="text/css">
.theocastles b {font-weight:bold; color:#7B866E; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.theocastles-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.theocastles p {text-indent:15px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.theocastles {margin:0 auto; width:456px; background-color:#E1E9EB; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... oscots.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #80ADB3; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#79AAB1; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
#shawsep {background-color:#020101; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... itable.png); background-position: bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px solid #611d20; width:375px; margin:auto;}
#shawsep b {color:#b91c17;}
#shawsep i {color:#c66a67;}
#shawsep p {line-height:14px; font-family:georgia, cambria, serif; color:#d0bfa0; text-align:justify;}
</style>

+2

Liliana was already in the vicinity, except she was out in the meadows, tending to the cows which just needed to be taken out to graze, but one she-cow was being a pain and wouldn’t move into the paddock that she kept them in when outside… she grumbled at her, feeling that this was not a good day to have a stubborn cow have her way with Liliana. She growled and snapped her teeth at the animal, though it made her move, it seemed Lili’s thread was not well taken. It took her a good fifteen minutes to get just the one cow in, the other three were not even watching but already at work at what was left of the summers grass that had been there… Liliana knew that she would have to make a new area so they could go in that one and the grass would be allowed to grow again… but that was for a later date, now she’d have to clean their stalls since they were out. She entered the stables only to find another wolf occupying it, and it happened to be Theo, he was measuring the young mare pony for something and he pulled her in and was looking at the stall as though he was looking through it to see one of the horses on the other side.

Theodoric, it is good to see you again!

Liliana said in a happy tone, since she was glad to see him again, though she didn’t want him thinking she was spying on him for anything. She wasn’t but she felt so since she’d watched Theo measuring the pony without letting him know she was there. She moved closer so that he could see her a bit, forgetting about her own chore of cleaning out the cow pens, though it would be a quick job and didn’t need to be done right away.

[/html]
[html]

I have to be back at work soon and this post is a little rushed D: Let me know if something doesn't make sense? (wc: 290)

The answers to Theodoric’s questions were solved by the appearance of Liliana. Who better to help with his project than the Nadie Tadita herself? “A pleasure to see you too, Liliana! How have you been?” He returned her salutation warmly, and went over to where she stood. Other than the winter ceremonies, he hadn’t seen much of the horsewoman since the day she’d greeted him at the borders. Which was a shame, because he had enjoyed her company and advice.

“Say, do you know anything about making horse blankets?” He went ahead and brought up the purpose of his visit to the stable today. New projects always invigorated him, and the Gatlvska was eager to put his loom to work. He went on to explain, “I was in here grooming Duncan and Suthen the other day, and noticed that it can get quite chilly. I mean, it is winter and all. Anyway, I didn’t see any blankets in the supply room, and I’d like to try to make some.” A saddle blanket was a simple thing, just a rectangle with padding. A blanket for warmth was a different matter, because something that fit poorly would be more of a hindrance than a help.

He could, of course, just churn out a bunch of fabric with roughly the right weave and then go from there. Theodoric, however, liked to have a plan before proceeding with the actual weaving. Otherwise, he had found, the weaver ended up wasting fabric and doing a lot of wasted work in the process. No, much better to have a plan first. “I was just measuring Suthen, to get an idea where to start. I’ve no idea for some of the horses though… they’re so much bigger.”

<style type="text/css">
.theocastles-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.theocastles {margin:0 auto; width:456px; background-color:#E1E9EB; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... oscots.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #80ADB3; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#79AAB1; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
#shawsep {background-color:#020101; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... itable.png); background-position: bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px solid #611d20; width:375px; margin:auto;}
#shawsep p {line-height:14px; font-family:georgia, cambria, serif; color:#d0bfa0; text-align:justify;}
</style>

WC: 232 OOC: Smile

she was happy to hear Theo’s replies. And smiled at him.

things have actually been wonderful. I hope you find yourself in the same position.

She said happily. His question made her shake her head, no she didn’t know anything about sewing or weaving or … any craftsmanship. She shook her head sadly.

I’m afraid the only thing I know is how to train horses really.

She said, thinking about what he said… he was right they were low on blankets, all they really had were saddle blankets and they were assigned to horses, those were running out as well.

Well… I can always help you, if you want to measure the horses I don’t see a problem in doing so. They are all different sizes though.

she said, pointing first to her horse, and then anther one, a stallion that was in a closer stall that was much bigger.

I have memorized the hands they are, but I don’t know if you go by that in your measurements. Wante me to pull out the stallion?

She asked pointing to the huge horse. she wondered if he did know something about it , he did show her his beautiful weavings, and maybe she could learn a little about it. That would be good for her, to have a different hobby especially in the midsts of winter when things weren’t so hard.

Table by Marit

[/html]
[html]

(wc: 334)

Theodoric didn’t know the specifics of Liliana’s joy, but he supported the notion that good things ought to happen to good people. Only rarely was this actually the case, but he smiled in return nevertheless. “I’ve been well, thank you.” And it was true, things had been going well for Theodoric. His hut was warm and homey in the winter cold; his looms were set up and he was weaving again. Having the owl kept him going outside often to hunt, and the ponies were a joy to spoil. Theodoric hadn’t yet made any fast friends, but he now had several friendly acquaintances, which was enough for the moment.

He wasn’t surprised that Liliana’s knowledge was more catered to the training of horses than the outfitting of them. “I’d appreciated whatever help you’re willing to give me,” he replied gratefully. Even though she didn’t know exactly how to make blankets, her knowledge of how horses were put together would be necessary to come up with a usable pattern. Theodoric was a weaver, not a tailor – he could sew, but only if he knew very clearly what he was trying to make. Liliana could help with that, if she was willing to give him a hand.

“I might be able to adapt the measurements we take today into hand sizes later, but I’ll have to start with something I’m more used to first.” That was a good idea though, he could just make blankets for a specific hand size instead of custom fitting each blanket; which would be a lot easier for him. The blankets wouldn’t fit perfectly, but they would fit well enough to keep the equine warm. “The stallion would be great,” Theodoric replied eagerly, pulling out the measuring cord and the small book he kept notes in. “And maybe Grace as well? That way we will have a nice range of sizes.” He thought he remembered the name of Liliana’s mare correctly, but he wasn’t sure. Ah well, he’d find out soon enough.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

OOC: Smile

She was excited now. Something new to do, even possibly learn something, and he seemed interested in the hands notion, which sounded like it would help him in the long run.

Alright I’ll get the stallion first, no need to really have horses scattered about.

She said as she headed over to the large stallion’s stall. She took the halter he was wearing and pulled him from the small enclosed room. She would get to see what he did to measure the horses. Was it some kind of secret technology? She wasn’t sure he had his back to her when he was measuring his pony so whatever he was using to measure her, was out of her eyesight. She was sure she’d get to see it now, especially since this horse was so much more massive than Theo’s own little pony.

So you can remember the measurements in your head?

She asked curiously. If he did he must have a good memory, though she had a pretty good one herself, mostly because she was use to memorizing as many things as she could. The stallion nickered unsure what was going on. He was not use to being pulled out of his stall and not going outside. Liliana patted him reassuringly, letting the horse know that it would be just fine.

Table by Marit

[/html]
[html]

<3

Large horses always made him nervous for a reason he could never quite fully explain. Perhaps he had experienced a close call with a large cart horse as a child, or perhaps he was merely more comfortable around the sturdy highland pony breeds that were common in the hills around Edinburgh. Or perhaps he was nervous that an oversize hoof would find a way to tread on delicate luperci toes. Whatever the reason the unease was very real, although Theodoric carefully hid it behind a professional's calm mask. Liliana being there helped too -- he trusted her ability with the horses as much as he distrusted his own.

Theodoric nodded in agreement and stood back so she would have room to bring the stallion out of his stall. "Yes and no," he replied in response to her question. "I hold the numbers in my head while I'm taking the measurements. Once I'm done, I write them down." Truthfully, he wrote the numbers down as a temporary aide, because once he began to work with the dimensions on a daily basis they would be ingrained in his memory bank. On the other hand, it was always good to have raw data if the initial plans didn't pan out.

Subsequently, the Gatlvska provided a demonstration. He carefully but quickly measured the stallion from whither to hoof, mane to tail, and around the girth. Theo muttered the numbers under his breath as he wrapped up the cord and then pulled out a small notepad he used for just such an occasion. He wrote down the measurements with a pencil nub, although what were legible notes to him would likely appear as chicken scratches to another. "'kay, I've got what I need for him," he said finally, gesturing to the stallion. Notepad still in hand, he offered to Liliana for inspection -- once the stallion was safely back in his stall, of course.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

WC: 236 OOC: Smile

Liliana watched him as he worked and answered her questions. She felt envy sweep through her as he answered. He could write. She thought that soon she really should head out and get payment for her trade with Skye and get reading lessons, maybe even hopefully learn to write. It wasn’t long before he took out a book and started writing in it telling her that he was done. She took the horse’s halter and pulled him back in his stall. She turned around to see that he was holding the book out for her to look at. She slowly took it not sure why he did this and looked at the foreign markings wondering if she really should know what all this meant. Finally she gave it back.

I’m afraid that I don’t really know how to read anything.

She said embarrassed by the words she spoke… she normally wasn’t so embarrassed but with the increasing literate wolves that came to the tribe it seemed like she should know these things. once she gave the book back to the man she turned to get Grace. She didn’t want him to see how embarrassed that she was for not knowing such things. she only knew how to take care of herself in the wild as well as take care of a horse and train it, much more out of that and she tended to get confused.

Table by Marit

[/html]