Christmas Den
[html]

out of character text

Davyn sighed in satisfaction. He had searched all of Phoenix Valley to find the perfect spot. After all, winter had her grasp on the lands, and a home would be wonderful. Leaves didn't provide the best of warmth, Davyn had come to find out.

The spot was simple, within scent distance of the lakes, underneath a towering oak. At the moment, the branches were bare of anything except the drops of clinging ice. He pawed carefully at the ground; it gave, surprising considering the icy hold that winter had had on the valley the last couple of nights. So he threw himself into his work, digging furiously in his lupus form, a vague idea of what he wanted his den to look like forming in his head.

The den would be deep, and would be wide. In time, there would be a system of rooms, but at the moment Davyn just wanted to get it started.

<style type="text/css">
.davynsnow b {font-weight:bold; color:#021F2B; letter-spacing:1px; }
.davynsnow .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.davynsnow p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.davynsnow {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#EAEEF9; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/i5bp0h.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 238px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC goes here!

The Pundit remained in her quadrupedal form during long treks across Phoenix Valley for two reasons. One, she found it much eaiser to ignore the cold seeping in through her thin coat; and two, she was better able to cover long distances in her feral form. Her lean legs carried her across the frostbitten, cold terrain with some ease. She shivered slightly as she stopped, breathing in the coolness of the air and watching her breath seep out of her mouth in foggy forms.

The winter did not fascinate her. Indeed, she did not prefer the monochrome coloration of the world during winter, although her gray scale coat did complement it. If it weren't for her vibrant lime green eyes, she would meld in perfectly with this monochromatic scheme. Geneva did not tarry long. She was not of a mind to seek solitude today. Instead, she longed for the company of some of her pack members.

She did not have long to wait, as she soon spotted Davyn, a newer member, scoping out the beginnings of a den. With exuberance that was somewhat different from her usual calm and collected nature, she approached at a lope and halted less than gracefully, the breath tumbling out of her mouth in the form of quiet laughter. When she regained her breath, she spoke, "Would you like some help, Davyn?"

[/html]
[html]

Word count 300

He had to admit that when the female approached him, he was so deeply involved with his frantic digging that he found himself flying out of his skin. Davyn jumped back, landing rather awkwardly in the pile of dirt that he had already dug up. And to make matters worse, it seemed she was laughing. Now, he couldn't tell if she was laughing at him or at her less than graceful halt beside him, but he could only expect the worst.

Stuttering, he replied. "Certainly, milady, help would be greatly appreciated..." He noticed that she was out of breath, and had to ask, being the gentleman that he was. "Do you need a moment to rest, milady?" He brushed the soil away, leaving a fairly clean spot for her to sit, if she so wished. There would be no chance of him leaving the lady with no choice but to stand; that was horrendously rude, and against the teachings of his family.

The winter started to seep through his coat, as he was standing still, and Davyn shivered slightly. He turned back to his digging, going at it a little less frantically. "If you like, you could start digging about five or six feet from the other side of the tree. I'm trying to make the den to form around the tree, so that the roots create the roof..." His paws were beginning to ache, but there was no way he would stop before nightfall. The sooner he completed the den, Davyn knew, the sooner he could begin to focus on his studies of the Valley and its’ occupants. He had art to do, stories to tell, and not nearly enough time to collect the materials needed to complete his tasks. He shook his head, hard, refocusing on his digging.

<style type="text/css">
.davynsnow .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.davynsnow {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#EAEEF9; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/i5bp0h.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 238px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC goes here!

Geneva noticed that Davyn was chivalrous. Also, his style of speech intrigued her. It vaguely reminded her of things she had read, although when she reached for titles of tomes she was grasping at straws. Truthfully, she had not had much time to herself to read or record her thoughts during the latter half of this year. Since Pripyat's birth, her priorities had changed entirely, and her central focus was not gaining new knowledge, per se, but being present for every moment, and alert to everything around her.

"I am fine, thank you," the gray female said, politely declining his offered seat. It was very sweet of him, but she was able to regain a normal pattern of breathing within a moment. She was not even that winded - but her excitement at finding him in the distance had sparked a sudden interest in sprinting to close the distance between them. She hadn't been able to prepare herself for it, but she was glad to have found him.

She assumed the position he indicated and paced herself against him. This was not something she was familiar with doing. Most of her life, she had lived in human structures. However, she had had to dig a den or two in order to survive frigid nights after she had become separated from her family nearly three years ago. "What is the first thing you will do in your new home?" the lady asked curiously. It was strangely satisfying to think that Davyn would be living in a place constructed mostly on his own. Geneva had never thought of living in a den exclusively, but perhaps one day it would be something to try.

[/html]
[html]

3+

He had been thinking quite a lot the last few days of what he would do when the den was completed. Davyn realized that most of the other wolves chose to live in cabins on the packlands. However, the den appealed more to him than a cabin would, although sturdy walls would have been useful with hanging up his art and plotting stories out. But he could do without all those things, since he would rather build his home, making it uniquely his.

Davyn shrugged. "In all honesty, I truly have no idea what I shall do in my new home. I have a picture in my head, of what it will look like when we are done digging, but the muses refuse to show me what it will be like when I take the first step over the thresh-hold..." He paused in his digging, meeting her eyes boldly. "I'd like to find someone to share all this with, but my main priority is to find some writing materials to begin writing again. I miss it. A lot. And the Valley has many stories to tell." Davyn knew that some of the stories would take some work to get to, but he wanted to know all of them, both the good and bad tales that this Valley held.

Davyn took to digging again, his silver head already partially underground. He positioned his head so that they could continue their stimulating conversation. This female was kind, polite. He could tell she had a hard time placing his accent and his mannerisms, but he wanted to learn about where she had come from, how she had come to the Valley, and who else he could learn the history of this place from...without getting his head ripped off.

"Would you be so kind, milady, as to tell me more about this place? I am a writer by trade, and would like to record the history of the Valley and its' occupants..."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC goes here!

Geneva appreciated Davyn's honesty. She could sense his excitement, although it was mellow, much like his nature. There was a calm tranquility, perhaps a self-assuredness, that marked the way he spoke. Geneva knew better than others that still waters could run deep. She felt that this definitely applied to her new pack mate.

"You will find someone - a friend, or something more. When I came here, I didn't think I would. Sometimes that sort of thing or creature just sneaks up on you, breaks down all your defenses without your noticing, and suddenly becomes a huge part of your life." Geneva had never expected to love Jefferson. But she had felt compelled to delve deeper into their connection. The rest was history, as they were together now, and even more tightly bound together due to their son.

He seemed genuinely interested in their conversation, and she was glad. It was a pleasant distraction. Her paws continued to displace the frozen over earth, seeking the softer soil below. She had made decent progress by her estimation, and so she divided her attention between their labor and conversation. "Phoenix Valley was founded by three wolves; Iskata, Hel, and Deuce. They divided the leadership into three different positions, which were Matriarch, Warrior, and Shaman. They came together to form the pack in the summer months, two years ago."

Geneva was able to put part of her muzzle into the dirt. She was not able to smell the rich scent of the earth, but her calloused paws reveled in the softness of the earth. She continued to part the earth in earnest. As they continued, she was certain that he would reside within his own dwelling without much of a wait. "Jefferson has been around the longest of us, I believe. Since almost the the formation of the pack. I believe he arrived in early autumn, two years ago. I'll ask him to speak with you about it; he may speak about it at a packing meeting as well." She was glad that there was someone who wanted to preserve the pack's history. She would have done it personally, if she had more time, but she was more involved in the present day to dwell upon the past.

[/html]
[html]

wc 330

Davyn enjoyed the scent of the earth floating through the air. It smelled of the seasons that had passed, and of seasons to come. His favorite season was spring, with the earth giving birth to all new organisms, the air smelling fresh and clean. The earth of winter smelled...hmm...almost sad. Memories pressed at the back of his mind, but they were dim, foggy, seen through a curtain of sorts.

He nodded his head. "I thank you for the grace of your optimism, milady. I certainly hope to have a family of my own one day. But I know that it will all come in due time." Davyn had a feeling, but he wasn't sure how to interpret it just yet. He hoped, of course he hoped, but only time and the fates could govern what would come.

He paused in his digging, sorting things out in his head. "Were there any alliances made? What happened to the females?" Davyn's voice drifted off, and he shook his head in embarrassment. "I beg pardon, milady, I do not mean to overwhelm you with my questions. In actuality, my curiosity is the overwhelming factor."

By now, his hole had gotten considerably deeper, and he started to curve his digging to the side, in order to wrap around the tree. He dimly thought to himself that it was a good thing that he wasn't claustrophobic, otherwise the construction of this den would have never commenced. Davyn would not have minded living in one of the cabins built on the packlands, but the image of his den in his mind screamed of his personality. In his mind, Davyn saw a roaring fire built off to the side, against the wall. A table stood next to the fire, covered in paper and ink spots, while a mattress lay on the opposite side of the den, close to the floor. Davyn hoped he would be able to find some usable furnishings when he went scrounging in Halifax.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: Not too late for a third person is it?

Ty gave a small shiver as he walked, the breeze today actually touching the flesh underneath Ty's coat. The cheery ruffian made his way through the snowy Valley at a slow, steady pace. He was still groggy from sleeping the whole day, but now it was time for him to get out and explore the Valley again. His eyes scanned the white wonderland that was the Valley in search of the other wolves, any wolf for that matter. Of course, during winter most wolves were hiding in their cabins or dens, trying to keep warm and survive off of whatever leftover foods they had caught during the fall, but Ty could assume that like him, not all wolves were entirely prepared for winter.

That's when in the distance Ty caught sight of someone digging in the distance, and not long the scent of someone familiar followed. The scent of Geneva wafted into Ty's nose, bringing a smile to his face. It had been far too long since he talked to Geneva, but he could smell another wolf nearby, and it didn't smell like Jefferson like he had suspected, no, the other wolf smelled...new, like someone he hadn't met before. He was intrigued, so he made his way to the flying dirt and debris that was the two wolves digging.

Ty eventually got within distance to Geneva and Davyn to see what they were really digging for. He could already tell it was to build a den, judging by the digging pattern and the attempt to hollow out the whole. He plopped himself down by the edge and spoke to the two wolves. "Digging a den huh? Seems a little late in the season to start...would either of you two want some help?"

<style type="text/css">
.tysunset b {font-weight:bold; color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:1px; }
.tysunset .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.tysunset p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.tysunset {margin:0px auto; width:399px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/9vblmc.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 235px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#B8B8B8; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Not at all. Smile wc 308

Davyn by nature was not a very defensive wolf, and so when the other male approached, he wagged his tail and paused in his digging. The other male was scarred badly, but Davyn could tell that he was a kind soul. His multi colored eyes held sadness, and a bitterness that Davyn associated with the personality of a warrior who had seen his fair share of battles, had seen too much death. Even one death was too much, in Davyn’s opinion, but he admired the male for the skills that were so obviously apparent.

"By all means, good sir, it would be greatly appreciated. We can use all the help offered. I'm hoping to get this done as soon as possible, so as to be in before the birds disappear." Davyn knew that the day the birds went into hiding was the day a bad storm would hit, and he could feel it was not long in coming.

Davyn took a step back from his pile of dirt, backing out of the hole he had managed to create in the short time he had been digging. The den was coming along nicely; Davyn had hopes that it would be done in just a few short days. He bowed carefully to the male, showing the classic respect that ran deep in his veins. "I am Davyn Nefae. I can only guess that you are one of my packmates. It’s an honor to meet you, sir." He turned his head, only to sneeze; a fragment of leaf had found its way up his nose, and his eyes crossed as a massive sneezing fit overcame him.

“Beg pardon, sir.” His voice rasped from the sneezing, and he shook his head to rid himself of the troublesome leaf once and for all. He coughed, and then turned to his task once more.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Hi Adam!

Geneva could definitely relate to Davyn’s curious nature. Her own curiosity had often led her to question things. In fact, it had been curious acting as the driving force that had brought her to Phoenix Valley in the first place. Aside from the knowledge that Phoenix Valley had once been Anu’s home, Geneva had also been curious about the packs surrounding Crimson Dreams, where she had been living at the time. The first time she had laid eyes on Jefferson, she had been wandering the edges of the territory in an attempt to make a map.

”I do not know what happened to Hel, but I believe that Deuce and her mate left the pack for their own reasons. Iskata stayed until she became unable to lead due to an injury. Eventually, she died under unusual circumstances. I only know what I’ve been able to glean here and there.” Geneva paused for a moment to redouble her digging efforts. As she had been recounting what she knew, she had stopped digging. After several moments, she felt satisfactorily caught up and decided to speak again. ”Jefferson was very close to Iskata; he cared very much for her.” It was sad to think that her mate had lost someone he considered to be his one true friend at one point. He had also been close to DaVinci, and the male had disappeared. She knew that it hurt to lose those close to him, since close friends were few and far between for her mate. It was a fight just to get him to let his guard down in the first place.

Before she could collect other thoughts, Ty appeared. Geneva abandoned her digging site for a moment to greet him. She had not seen the wayward male in months and months; it seemed like it had been an eternity really. She bumped her shoulder against his affectionately before returning to her site. ”I had heard you returned. I am so happy to see you!” she said with enthusiasm. Davyn accepted his help and Geneva concentrated on getting more done as the males exchanged pleasantries.

The subleader raised her eyes as a thought struck her. ”Ty is Iskata’s grandson, and the son of DaVinci.” The information seemed pertinent to the topic that they had been discussing before. It struck her that so many in the pack were interconnected. She had arrived as a stranger here, but now she had a family of her own. As Davyn uncovered the story of Phoenix Valley, she hoped that he would see how wonderfully interconnected they all had become, united by this pack.

”The sooner we get your home set up, the better,” Geneva agreed. It would be good to have Ty’s strength behind them. As a team, she was certain that they would be able to accomplish much more. ”I would love to visit you here, once you are settled, Davyn,” Geneva remarked as she bent down and curved her body, now able to fit her form into the hole that she had been working on. It was endlessly intriguing to consider that Davyn would reside in a place that he had shaped practically on his own.

[/html]

WC 517
[html]

Hi!

Ty gave a hearty laugh as he shoulder bumped right back, a little rougher than Geneva probably expected. "It's good to see you too, you old gal, it's good to see your still holding up!" He said with with a grin, passing her and diving right into the hole. Before Ty got to explain himself, Geneva was already explaining who he was, the grandson of one of the founders, and the son of a leader. With Davyn's implication that he was a packmate, Ty couldn't help but blurt out. "Damn right, on both accounts!" Grinning all the way through as he found a fresh spot for him to dig before driving his claws into the ground. "The pleasure is all mine Davyn, always good to meet another contributing member."

It was good for Ty to finally get a sense of kinship with at least one of the new packmates, and what better way to do that than to help him make his home? He nodded in agreement as he shuffled some dirt out of the hole. "I wouldn't mind visiting either, from what I can tell by the shaping, you already have most of this planned out." He commented. From what he could guess by the wolf's manner of speaking, his politeness and gentlemanly manner, he was a diplomatic manner. "And as for bird hunting, take my advice, fowl is not what you want to hunt now." He sniffed around at the ground before sending his claws into the dirt once more. "Naw, now you should just be hunting the animals who are as late on hibernation as you are, squirrels, rabbits, foxes, even deer and elk are still wandering about, but don't hunt those unless you got a good portion of the pack together, if all you're hunting is birds, you'll go hungry."

As soon as Ty gave his two cents, he remained silent for a spell, focusing on the digging for a second before continuing the conversation. He wanted to ask Geneva how she was doing, how the pack had carried since he left, but he wasn't in the mood to share his side of the story, where he was or what had happened to him, though the fact he was missing half his tail said enough. So he turned his attention to Davyn, offering some friendly chatter to the gentleman as they worked. "So, where you from, buddy?" He asked the wolf. "You certainly seem to be one of the more eloquent wolves, judging by your manner 'o speech."

<style type="text/css">
.tysunset b {font-weight:bold; color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:1px; }
.tysunset .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.tysunset p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.tysunset {margin:0px auto; width:399px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/9vblmc.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 235px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#B8B8B8; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]