not meant for breath
[html]
OOC here: I will admit that I cried when I wrote this.

When J’adore had finally come to Sky’s home during the blizzard, Valinta was beyond thankful. She’d thrown herself forcefully into his arms and held him with all her might, not wanting him out of her sight during such a dangerous time. The pangs she had felt when the storm started increased, and when she mentioned them to Sky, Valinta was told that she was about to give birth.

She had screamed, and yelled until she thought her throat was bleeding and her voice was hoarse. Valinta squeezed J’adore’s hands tightly when the contractions came, and the kind man never once said anything about, just muttering soothing things into her ear.

It had been long and painful for the small female, who had never once given birth. But Valinta finally carried the spoils after all the hours and all the pain. A little girl, a daughter for Valinta and J’adore. She was so small with her bright white fur. Her little paws occasionally kneaded against Valinta’s chest as she suckled.

The baby was beautiful. A pure white little miracle, she was. Miracles were glorious. The child was glorious.

That had been what Valinta mumbled deliriously upon seeing her baby for the first time. The little one seemed strong to her, healthy, and Valinta didn’t understand Sky and J’adore’s worried looks.

Those were a few hours ago, and now the ebony-furred female lay curled around the little pup in a comforting circle.

The child hadn’t yet opened her eyes, something that Valinta had expected. The little girl’s fur was soft and clean, due to Sky and Valinta’s diligence towards her.
Valinta’s eyelids fluttered closed as she felt the drowsiness from her birth and the stress sink in, sleep becoming a beckoning siren’s call. The new mother succumbed and fell asleep.

In her dreams, Valinta was in a large clearing. A small pool that glowed with slightly luminescence was near the edge. A tall and slim white wolf sat next to it, and she flicked her tail in greeting.

Slowly stepping forward, Valinta looked down to four paws. She was, for some unknown reason, in Lupus form. Shrugging furry shoulders, Valinta ignored it and walked to the other woman.

It was a long time before one of them spoke. Finally, the albino broke the silence. “I’m Gloria.” She said softly. “Gloria Inkfur. But when I became your father’s mate, I became Gloria Ptofski.” She smiled warmly as she looked Valinta up and down, the smile combating with her cold and thick Russian accent.

“I am your mother, little one.” Gloria murmured, and Valinta stepped forward and felt safe and warm as Gloria’s head rested on hers.

“Mama!” the black female cried as she buried her nose in Gloria’s vividly contrasting white fur. She smelled of milk and snow and contentment. Like love.

Mothers were supposed to smell like that, weren’t they?

“Come and look here, little one.” Gloria said gently, and they turned towards the pool. The glow seemed to pulsate to Valinta, and her mother nudged her shoulder with her nose.

“What do you see?” she asked. “Everyone sees something different here.” She smiled and looked at Valinta. “I cannot see anything but a pool, as I lack the life that you have.” Her smile slipped away, and the pink eyes held an insurmountable amount of sadness in them, and the smile came back again.

Valinta looked down into the waters, and saw herself. “I see… Me. Older.” She tilted her head and then saw other things.

“And… J’adore. And a lot of little boys. And a girl.” She looked up and Gloria nodded.
“Good, little one. That’s good.” She whispered to her child.

She was such and innocent soul, and her innocence came at a price. Valinta didn’t know many things about the world, or her family. It would make it that easier for things to happen to her, and she mightn’t realize how horrible they would be.

But Gloria would stand strong by her child until her spirit faded away with the rest of them, the intense multitude of mothers and sisters and daughters that stood by their family.

Only the females, though, because if they stood by the males, then they would corrode. They would turn into monsters. Nightmarish beasts that would corrupt and kill the females.

‘T was a horrible thing that happened to some, but it did happen. And only the gods could forgive those that broke the ancient law of Gloria’s family.

Valinta stared deeply into the pool.

“I don’t see my new daughter anywhere in this.” She said softly. Gloria sighed, and then nosed Valinta’s shoulders.

“When you need me, I’ll come to you when you sleep. But now, little one… You need to be with your child, and your lover. Go home, little one.” Gloria whispered, and dissipated in a soft breeze. Her voice still whispered to Valinta, as the female awoke.

Sitting up groggily, she looked at the baby. She was an albino like her grandmother.

Valinta decided to call her Gloria in honor of that. She softly licked the baby’s forehead, and then froze as she realized something.

Gloria wasn’t breathing. Eyes wide, heart beating at a frantic pace, Valinta cradled the dead child in her arms, and felt hot tears slip through her fur.

“No… God, no… Why?” she sobbed softly, her voice a mere whisper against the wind.

“…Why?” she asked, choking on tears, holding the incarnation of her hopes and dreams, dead, to her chest.

Valinta Speaks

<style type="text/css">
.Valinta b {font-weight:normal; color:#d38870; letter-spacing:.5px; }
.Valintaooc {text-align:left;font-style:italic; padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;color:#fff;}
.Valinta p {text-indent:25px; padding:1px 10px 1px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Valinta {margin:0 auto; width:440px; background-color:#000; background-image:url(http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46 ... ntatab.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px double #fff; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#fff; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
</style>[/html]