Companion Complications
Ok I have a character who cannot speak due to an unfortunate accident of... him talking back and having his tongue removed, now I want him to have a companion that can speak high speech, I had originally planned for it to be a Ferret but I was told they would not be able to speak high speech at all, so I am in need of assistance. Orion is a very submisive dog *no wolf ancestry in him* so having a large carnivore is out of the question, and don't really see him having a bird that can talk either, and though I may have to go with it, I do not wish for him to have a cat companion either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what type of companion Orion might have that would work with him to translate what he says? (he knows a form of sign language)
I know that there was a red fox here once that could speak high speech - they're close enough to canines so that they can speak the High Speech, but not close enough to be considered a real dog. I think that red foxes and arctic foxes are native to Nova Scotia. ^^

If you don't like that idea and wish to go with the bird idea instead, corvids (ravens and crows) have extremely adept vocal cords and can speak and repeat lines in English; I'm sure one of them would be able to speak High Speech. :3
Not looking for a dog type companion, and Orion is from Greece and will be bringing his companion with him.
Here are some animals native to Greece and the Greece area that may be able to speak High Speech:

- Rat: Rats are actually quite intelligent, and can solve a variety of complex problems. I think they would be able to speak some High Speech.

- African Grey Parrot: African Grey Parrots are among the most intelligent bird species in the world; they have been proven to have the ability to understand and speak English, and several have solved mathematical problems such as adding and subtracting, and have carried out full conversations with even humans.

- Bat: I'm not sure if you'd want a bat, or if they're high enough on the food chain to speak High Speech, but they may.

- Common Genet: A common genet is like a civet; it's more intelligent than a ferret, but has the same qualities, and comes in lots of stripey patterns! Big Grin

Hope that helped!
Might I suggest a rat (Rattos rattus), brown hare (Lepus europaeus) or a bat (Rhinolphus ferrumeguinum)? All of the indigenous to Greece.

If you are looking for a more interesting companion you could try a viper (Vipera berus) or a Greek tortoise (Testudo hermanni). With a little imagination and a background story I suppose any of these could learn high speech.

EDIT: Agh. Sunny you stole my 'deas! xD
On the topic of what animal could speak high speech or not, I think perhaps the parrot is the better choice, since it has the ability to speak such a wide variety of sounds Smile this does sound like something the SA might have to look at though, because I am a little dim and don't really understand the whole high-speech/low-speech thing Tongue
Here are some ideas, although the same trouble of what the SA would allow to use highspeech applies as with all the others:

[html]
"
Wild animals indigenous to Greece include boar, bear, wild cat, brown squirrel, jackal, fox, deer, and wolf. A rare white goat is found in Crete. There are 358 species of birds in Greece, two-thirds of them migratory. Among the birds of prey are the golden and imperial eagle, the vulture, and several species of falcons. Other indigenous varieties of birds are the hawk, owl, pelican, pheasant, partridge, woodcock and nightingale."
[/html]
PELICAN O_O Do eeeet
you guys have crazy Ideas, I have talked with Kiri about it, and will bring in ferret (was somewhat approved for it... must have goooood reason for it though hahaha) at start and then find NPC fox or dog or wolf that will help translate for him later on depending on how his life goes when he joins so here's hoping.