not so easy to forgive, harder to forget
[html]<style type="text/css">
.fracture b {font-weight:bold; color:#fef47e; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.fracture p {text-indent:25px;padding:5px 10px;margin:0px;}
.fracture {width:400px;border:1px solid #c3702e;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... cture1.png);background-position:top center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-top:275px;background-color:#432e1e;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:"Trebuchet MS", tahoma, sans-serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#c3702e;}
</style>

Would you be opposed to dating this to the 9th? <333 wc:454

Trekking through the lands for days at a time was something that Ehno was quite familiar with, and even rather fond of. This particular trip, however, was not one that he had been enjoying for a number of reasons. Primary among them was the snow. Forever a lover of warm climates, the Italian wolf liked the snow only for its beauty, not for its icy sting when exposed to it for too long. But the Marino had put off this journey long enough, and had to endure the freezing temperatures that were left in the wake of the previous month's blizzard. The reason behind this journey was also one of the factors contributing to his displeasure--he was unsure of how this encounter would turn out, or if it was even a wise decision to make.

Ehno had camped out within the concrete jungle of Halifax the previous morning, taking the time within his momentary shelter to weigh his options. He had traveled all the way out here, but still the hesitation plagued him. Ever since learning of Naniko's return to these lands months ago, part of him had wanted to seek her out. The brawl he'd gotten into with her supposed "companion" had put a stop to that at the time, and after he'd crawled back to Crimson Dreams to recover, he began to second guess himself. There were so many things he wanted to confront her about, but just as many that he wondered might be best left unsaid. It only created a torrent of mixed thoughts and feelings that were tiresome to sort through. He had finally worked up the courage to seek her out, and while he sat within an old, hollowed out building in Halifax, he figured that if he had come this far, he might as well go all the way.

It had taken some searching, as he had no clue as to the whereabouts of the new pack aside from the fact that it was somewhere out east, but the Marino eventually stumbled upon a familiar scent marking as evening approached. He came to an immediate halt upon finding it, eyes surveying the lands warily. There was no mistaking Naniko's scent there on the borders, and to his extreme displeasure, he found himself recognizing the scent of the male he had tussled with there as well. A very faint growl bubbled in his chest at the memory, but he tried to calm himself after a moment. It would do him no good to get himself worked up already. There would be plenty of time for that soon. He steeled his nerves and tilted his head back to howl, calling for Naniko herself. There was no turning back now.

[/html]
[html]

She can tell him that Harlowe died. :x Sure <33

A familiar voice had caught her attention, and the wolfess found herself padding quickly toward the borderlands. She stayed in her optime form primarily now and it was with two feet that she walked to the stretch of land that separated her pack from the surrounding world. She was slightly anxious to meet the wolf who had called for her, unsure of his reason for visiting her. Had he heard of Harlowe's death and come to blame her for corrupting him?

Harlowe had attacked her other son Scorpius and then had tried to attack Eris and Larkspur's pups right in front of her. That was the day that he had died; Larkspur had taken him out before he could reach the young pups and cause any harm to them. She had left the body to Eris to bury, trusting the female to do the right thing with it, and had gone to tell Scorpius and the other D'Angelos what had happened.

She approached the figure at the borders slowly, hand coming up to grip her gris-gris for reassurance. "It's been a while" Her voice came somewhat formally, unsure of why he had come. She wasn't wary of him, simply puzzled by his appearance here. "I didn't know if I'd ever see you again" Jade eyes rested on the form of the other, tail flickering a little behind her. She was happy to see him, whether he had come with good or bad news.

Word Count →

<style>
.nani-t98 .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; }
.nani-t98 p {padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.nani-t98 .wordcount {color:#591000; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; margin:2px 10px; border-top:1px dotted #591000; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase;}
.nani-t98 b {color:#591000; letter-spacing:0px; font-family:times new roman, times, serif; font-size:14px; }
.nani-t98 {background-color:#D6B172; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011feb/nanipill.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#1B0500; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:160px 0px 10px 0px; }
.nani-t98-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Yeah. o: wc:360

Silence weighed heavily around him in the moments after his call faded and he stood waiting for any sort of appearance or response. Amber-gold eyes calmly examined the mountainous region before him, though within his anxiety was beginning to build. The Marino man was completely unsure of what to expect. Things had been odd between them before Naniko had simply disappeared, and it had not left a positive impression on the Dreamer. That, combined with the insufferable company the woman apparently kept nowadays, made him wary. If the snowy woman felt much the same way, it was likely that this encounter would not be a very pleasant one.

Finally the silence gave way, nearby footsteps catching the male’s attention. His ears perked slightly and his eyes traveled across the horizon to the source of the sound. Slowly, she appeared, and he studied her with silent amber eyes as she came to a halt. As he quietly watched her, arms crossed over his chest, he realized that some part of him was pleased to see that she hadn’t changed dramatically since he had last seen her. Yet that hardly meant that he should let his guard down as easy as that—he knew better than anyone that appearances could be deceiving.

She was the first to speak, her words ringing through the air with a slight formality that was unfamiliar to him. “Indeed,” he said, with the briefest of nods. He sought out familiar jade eyes as she continued, ears flickering in idle response to the words. Despite the slight formality of her speech, the slight twitch of her tail gave him some insight to how she was feeling. It was certainly not the hostility he had half-expected to be greeted with. The display helped him rid himself of some of the tension that had been plaguing him, and his arms dropped back to his sides in a much more casual position. “Frankly, I didn’t think I’d see you ever again either, considering how you just seemed to vanish.” The accented words were not delivered in a harsh manner, simply in a neutral, matter-of-fact tone that held the unspoken question: why?

[/html]
[html]

She couldn't change her lifestyle or pack even if she had wanted to. Some things about the female had changed since her days in Crimson Dreams or Phoenix Valley, turning slightly more sinister. She was still the same wolf, yes, but there were some things about her that were different. As a rule she accepted anyone who came to her doors regardless of their past, allowing them sanctuary. It was what the cult pack had done for her.

"That's what I meant. I wasn't sure if I'd come back. Looks like I did..." She trailed off. "This pack is my life now. I found some members of my family and a few other vagabonds and started it up. Things are going well." The female wasn't sure what to say now other than what she had been thinking from the beginning; "Why'd you come here?"

<style type="text/css">
.nani22 {width:400px; background-image:url('http://www.ghostecho.net/souls/ana/naniko.png'); background-position:bottom center; background-color:#AFC4CC; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid black;}
.nani222 {padding:10px 10px 85px 10px; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#384F57; line-height:15px; text-align:justify;}
.nani22 b {color:#476571;}
.nani22 p {text-indent:39px; margin:0px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc:309

The woman went on to clarify that she hadn’t been at all certain that she would return to this region. It still left Ehno wondering what had motivated her to leave in the first place, and why it had been so important that she left without a word. The Marino had his own theories, but he kept them to himself for the moment; it hardly seemed the right time to be throwing suspicions around. He remained silent as Naniko briefly spoke of her family and the pack she had started up. “Yes, I’ve met one of your… vagabonds once before.” He couldn’t prevent the disdain that seeped into his words as he thought of his tussle with the other man. He brought his hand up and lightly brushed his fingers against his scarred up shoulder, a silent explanation of just how well that meeting had gone.

Then came the question he expected would be thrown his way eventually, yet as he opened his mouth to answer, he found reason eluding him. After a beat, he forced himself to find the words, which tumbled into the air in a much less confident manner than he would have preferred. “I… I heard that you were back. I guess I needed to see for myself.” That was certainly part of it yes, as were the various questions he expected to get vague answers to and the tense conversations that would likely follow. Thinking of touchy subjects reminded the Marino of one particular topic he knew they would need to discuss. “And Harlowe. We need to have a talk about him.” A hard edge came to his words as soon as the boy's name was spoken. Ehno had no idea where their twisted son may have run off to, but he needed to be certain that Naniko knew of what lows he had stooped to.

[/html]
[html]

Nani goes all spiritual now...

"Well...I'm not sure who it was that you met, but you don't sound too happy about it" As long as trouble didn't come knocking at her door as a result of it, the female generally didn't put her nose into her pack members' business. What they did on their own time to their own bodies...the risks they took...none of those things concerned her. She wasn't a controlling leader, ruling with simple and practical laws.

"And I see. Well...here I am." It seemed that there was something important that he wished to speak to her about, or someone important. Harlowe. She swallowed quickly and looked at the ground for a moment; when she had left the boy had been whole...or so she had thought. But it now appeared that some kind of demon had taken hold of him while she had been away, some twisted power that had turned her boy against even the members of his own family.

"There was something wrong with him. I should have begged him to come with me..I am protected from some ill luck by the gris-gris that I wear around my neck, but he had no such protection. He has died, Ehno...he attacked my son Scorpius and then an innocent pup right before my own eyes. He was killed by Larkspur, a distant relative of mine, for attacking his daughter." She broke the news, trying to keep her voice even. "I believe that he was possessed by evil. He was such a quiet and loving pup when he was young"

<style type="text/css">
.nani22 {width:400px; background-image:url('http://www.ghostecho.net/souls/ana/naniko.png'); background-position:bottom center; background-color:#AFC4CC; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid black;}
.nani222 {padding:10px 10px 85px 10px; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#384F57; line-height:15px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc:421

Ehno had a scathing remark in return to her comment, but he wisely forced himself to bite his tongue. He had plenty to say about the behaviors she apparently allowed within her pack, especially from someone who appeared to be leading beside her, if the territorial scents were anything to go by. He knew that it would take the conversation down into the wrong direction, and they had more important things to discuss for the moment. There was no need to start bickering over this when they could revisit it later, when the more imperative topics had been dealt with. So the Marino kept his mouth shut, though he couldn't prevent the frown that snaked its way to his features.

Naniko delved right into the topic of Harlowe, and quickly revealed that she knew just how terrible their once quiet boy had become. He had attacked pups, in the presence of his mother. He was struck down for his actions. Killed. There were names, Scorpius and Larkspur, but Ehno could do nothing more with them right now than file them away for later. His son was dead. Deserving of such a fate, but still gone. No naive hope of salvaging the silent pup he had raised. She spoke of protection from ill-luck, something the boy apparently didn't have. The only thing Ehno believed in was Fate and her fickle ways, though he supposed he could imagine there being spirits in nature all around them.

He wasn't so convinced that it had been all due to the possession of a malevolent spirit, but the boy was certainly evil, that much was for certain. Had been evil. The boy was no more. "Dead," he muttered, mostly to himself. He knew that Harlowe would have had to been dealt with, but he hadn't expected it to happen already, to have felt so final. His hands clenched into fists, and amber eyes suddenly shifted toward the ground. "His corruption went farther than that. He... he hurt Rio," he said, finally bringing his gaze up to meet her emerald eyes. He couldn't bring himself to say it, and it suddenly felt like a mistake to have mentioned it at all. He'd wanted to tell Naniko exactly how twisted their boy had become, but she clearly already knew the truth of that. It felt almost cruel to continue speaking about it, but she deserved to know. And if their timid daughter was ever to return, it would probably be best that her mother understood what had happened to her.

[/html]
[html]

He had news of his own regarding Harlowe. She hadn't been certain of how he would take the news of the boy's death, and she wondered if she shouldn't have come to him with it sooner. He had made the effort to travel to Anathema to tell her this now, though, something that she was grateful for. "Thank you for coming to tell me this...I have been very busy with the pack and unable to leave the lands for the most part. I should have come to you sooner."

She pondered what he could possibly mean by hurt, though. "He hurt Scorpius by pushing him into the fire. My son now has scars that have made it so that his handsome face will never look the same. I didn't believe the boy at the time, because I didn't know that Harlowe had been as bad as he was. But afterward I apologized to the pup. It wasn't his fault." She frowned more deeply. "But that is why she has not come? I did not expect loyalty from the pups after I left...but I had not heard a thing about her. She should know that he is dead, should she return...that she has nothing to fear. What did he do to her?"

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc: 362

It hadn’t even occurred to Ehno to consider how long their son had been dead when Naniko shared the news. Part of him was so resigned to thinking that it would be the inevitable conclusion, that he wasn’t wholly surprised by the news. If there was no escaping that fate, what difference did it make if the monstrous boy had been struck down months ago or days ago? The D’Angelo woman confessed that she should have come to him sooner, and Ehno simply shook his head. “I should have come sooner myself. Maybe we could have done something, if I had.” Only after admitting that did Ehno consider the possibility that, had either of them moved faster, maybe Harlowe could have been salvaged. That was when the first pangs of grief struck the Dreamer. There was the simple fact that their misguided boy was gone, and no matter how terrible he had become, he was still their son. Some small part of him still wanted to mourn, and forget about the tense and hostile feelings that had led him here in the first place.

But Harlowe wasn’t the only child of theirs that needed discussing. Nani continued on to speak more of Harlowe’s actions, briefly mentioning the other pups before questioning what happened to Rio. There was that name, Scorpius, again. Her son. He didn’t know what to think of that, but there were too many swirling thoughts within his head for him to dwell on it for long. “Caprica disappeared shortly after you left. We assumed she had run off to find you, but I take it that wasn’t true.” Amber gaze sought out any indication of confirmation or denial from her. “I haven’t seen Lucia for many months. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was gone too. And Rio…” He paused, taking a deep breath. He was putting this off. Why was this so difficult for him to say? Because saying it out loud might as well be admitting that they had failed their children. “He raped her. Haven found her, took her in. But she ran off not long after,” he said, fists clenching and unclenching as he spoke.

[/html]
[html]

"It's alright. Like I said...there was something deeply wrong with him. He seemed normal except for those episodes...bouts of insanity. He probably got it from my side of the family. But don't blame yourself. You didn't even know that I was back, yet." It was just as equally her fault, the fact that they hadn't seen each other. She had been busy, but she could have made time for reconnecting with him. "The pack that Selene and I were living in fell apart just before we left, so she may still be out there looking if she is..." She said in regards to Caprica. She wasn't sure where the spunky girl could have gotten off to, otherwise. "Or perhaps she is just looking for her own way in the world. She'll come back in time, I feel"

The news about Rio shocked and surprised her. "I don't understand why he would do something so evil...but now I don't know if there is anything that can be done to fix it. Or if it can ever be fixed. I hope that she comes back, that she does seek me or you out so that we can talk to her and try and help. I can try, anyway. It's not an easy thing to get over...or come back from." She said. It had taken a lot before she had learned to trust anyone again after what Conri had done to her. "I just hope that she does choose to come home. Lucia, too."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc: 321

He shouldn’t blame himself, she said. Ehno wished that it could be that easy. With all that had happened, he knew that he could hardly convince himself otherwise. Naniko’s words on the subject of their daughter came from her own experience with such trauma, he knew. If anyone was aware of what Rio must be going through, it would be her mother. He recognized the truth in her words, feeling suddenly powerless. There was still nothing Ehno could do to change what had happened, or help the girl get over it any easier. “I hope she’s alright,” he said. And within those words was the unspoken desire that the wounded girl would return to them. While their family situation was far from ideal and likely never would be, considering the tensions still harboured by the Marino, he felt that she would be better off with those who loved her. If only her sisters were around as well to provide their support.

He knew he shouldn’t worry about them. Ehno himself had been unable to resist the allure of travel during his youth, using his ventures to learn and shape who he had become. His girls could handle themselves. Hadn’t they already proved that after their mother left, and they remained behind in the Valley pack? Harlowe had been the only thing complicating that, it seemed, and there would be no more trouble from him. The thought had a bitter tang to it. He nodded in agreement as she expressed her wish that their daughters would come home. A beat laughter, he found himself releasing a short, self-deprecating laugh. “I can’t help but worry for them. I shouldn’t, they’re grown wolves. They can take care of themselves. But there it is.” He shook his head. Hell, with all that had gone on in their lives and what splendid role-models the two of them had been, he supposed he couldn’t really blame himself.

[/html]
[html]

End with your post?

"Me too." She wished that things could be different, that she could have been there to protect her daughter from the evils of Harlowe...but a wolf couldn't be in two places at once. She hadn't realized how twisted the boy had been or that there had been any issue with him at all until the incident with Scorpius and then with Larkspur's child. Now the problem was taken care of.

"I hope that they'll come back. Things are stable now...I'm stable now. I could support them and be with them if they did. I will let you know if I see any of the girls...will you do the same?" She inquired. Ehno didn't owe her anything, but she hoped that he would do this one small thing for her. "Also, if you are ever passing through or need sanctuary in the mountain..let me know."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Shooore!

He was a bit apprehensive to imagine his daughters within the same borders as the violent, dark-furred Anathema member he had scuffled with before. But he would have to allow himself to trust that Naniko would allow no harm to come to them, should they one day join her here. Her previous flighty behavior almost made him question her claims of stability, but Ehno had to consider that she seemed at her best while at the head of a pack. Perhaps it gave her purpose here, which she did not have while living in the Valley. Perhaps she really would stay. He nodded. “I will.”

Her offer of sanctuary caught him by surprise, but the show of friendliness did well to relieve Ehno of some more of his tension. “Thank you, Naniko.” He paused, glancing back over his shoulder and staring into the distance as if he could see home from here. The Marino turned back to face her after a moment, amber eyes seeking out her emerald gaze. “I suppose I should probably be on my way. Perhaps I will stop by to visit another time.” It seemed best to him to leave this conversation on the optimistic note it had turned to, rather than unnecessarily dredge up further foul thoughts and topics. There would be other opportunities, should it come to that. For now, he would leave well enough alone.

[/html]