The Memory Remains
(not titled up yet but still apart of DDM again yay)

The behemoth, stood overlooking his once grand shop, the winter storm and the elements afterwards had not been to kind the remains. Saluce sat in silence overlooking it all, wondering if he had the will and energy to rebuild it. The structure was pretty much gone, the tools inside where fine except for maybe some rust or dirt covering them but otherwise it was pretty clear that he’d have to find another place to call home for his shop. He had visited his old home a day ago, finding it pleasantly empty, and he claimed it once again as his. The old two story house was probably one of the bigger homes around except for well, that thought still hurt him.

He had walked to Conor’s old home as well, seeing it dilapidated, run down and empty. So much of his fond memories revolved around this area, where the two where within walking distance. Saluce had been tempted to just light a match and watch it burn, it seemed to only represent the betrayal he had performed on Dahlia. But he didn’t because in the end he wasn’t much better. He had only just returned, and it didn’t seem fitting to label his once leader a coward. But still it didn’t ease it all, there should have been puppies, adults coming and going and the steady echo of conversation going on at Conor’s old place. None of that remained, in the end it was a lesson, nothing ever stayed the same. It was also why he didn’t fault Nayru for her distance; he had left when she needed him most, and gone without a word, even if at that time he didn’t remember her. But surely he could have stayed and tried, how could he have easily forgotten them all too some stupid accident, and now here he was rebuilding not only his shop, but his reputation, and Nayru’s trust. It would be a long road but if everything went well he hoped he could help her now when she needed him.

Saluce turned and mounted his horse, today his armor and Weapon where left at his home, much to the delight of Charlemagne. He even pranced a little in a rare sign of happiness for the beast. A gentle pat was given to him to urge him forward as he left the remains of his shop, unsaid to Charlemagne, there would be labor in his future and Saluce knew without a shadow of a doubt he’d detest it as much as he detested children.
ooc;; i assume this is set before the pack meeting?

Spring was beginning to wash over the lands, pushing flowers from the earth in agonising slowness. Saul had taken a keener interest in the flowers now that he knew what he wished to do with his life- he still had to seek Nayru out and ask her permission but he was pretty determined. He'd already helped the alpha female in healing her head and his latest patient was well on her way to recovery. Wretch was able to talk now, even if her leg was still healing. Saul had taken to moving her outside on the grass by his home on the river, making sure she ate enough and got enough fresh air. Siku was helping too and often spoke with the little creamy pup with bright emerald eyes. It was odd, but anyone from the outside might assume she was the room-mates' pup- white fur and green eyes, a perfect cross between Saul and Siku. She wasnt however, despite Saul's growing care for her.

Strong muscles stretched under his skin as he moved away from the river. A large bucket collected river water for him to bathe the little puppy in. She was getting better and Saul was happy about this. He could understand Gideon's wish to keep the two puppies he'd found before Saul had arrived. Wretch was flourishing under his hands and Saul wanted to extend that to the rest of Dahlia. And the fact that the flowers were beginning to show through was a good thing for him- he was going to have a busy summer collecting plants for winter treatments. If Nayru allowed him the co-rank of course. He planned on seeking her out shortly and had left Wretch under Siku's watch for now.

Thudding strides on all four took him up from his riverside cabin towards Wolfville. He knew Nayru wouldn't be here, her greenhouse was towards the Ethereal Eclipse. But he wanted to go back to the town, to visit the old house. Eclipse had gone missing since her father had and Saul hadnt seen Bris in a long long time. Ascher and Shiloh were gone too and Saul felt in the moment he lay eyes on the destroyed house that he was very alone. Gideon was still here, thank God. But he was the only one left and he didnt seem to be around a lot. Fat tears welled in Saul's eyes as he thought about his family- gone. He approached the house at a slow meander now, unwilling to look at it. He thought he head something and took a deep breath. A familiar but impossible scent filled his nostrils. With eyes full of tears he didnt see the man on his horse for a moment.

"Saluce..."

He called out, knowing he wouldnt get an answer. The grey man was long gone after the snowstorm, just like everyone else. Shoulders drooped, Saul turned back to the house, trying to fill himself with happier memories of family long gone.
(no this takes place during the date it was posted, Saluce didn't rejoin until after the pack thread)

For now Saluce was larger than life, he held the impressive physique to challenge even the most determined foes, he had single handedly killed a mountain lion, even challenged a bear, along with having slain many foes in his homeland. All those physical gifts still would never make up for the mental instability that plagued him, he’d never know peace, never be able to rest, and most likely would die young from worry then he would in glorious combat. His shop in disarray disappointed him, he had hoped when his memories had returned that Saul would have rebuilt it. If he considered Nayru a Daughter of his, Saul would most likely be considered a son. Even though he had not sired any children, the fruits of his labor where here in Dahlia. If his path was to be a father figure, that symbol of stern discipline and undying love then his life wouldn’t be wasted. But since their race grew old quickly, his two surrogate children had grown up so amazingly fast that even he had problems accepting them as adults and deserving of his trust and reliance.

Saluce was already keenly aware of who was visiting the home he had just left. For a few moments he sat high atop the horse observing the male, unsure if it was Saul. It had been a long time since the two of them had visited, right after he broke things off with Layla. And now he was unsure of the person he was looking at. The young boy had grown into an impressive man, and Saluce knew, just like he did with Nayru that the soul of this man was strong. Dahlia was indeed in good hands, and that meant he could be freed to take on different tasks. Bris and Eclipse needed to be found, and most of all he’d have to go seek out Conor, and if he had succumbed to some devil of his mind then it should be him who brought Conor eternal relief.

Finally the horse turned and moved toward the man who was showing a bit way to emotion for the stern man’s liking.

“You should really dry those tears, Ghosts have a tendency to return, and if they don’t then they weren’t worth much to begin with”
Saul wasn't one to cry. In fact, the man couldn't remember the last time tears had even threatened to take hold. But his visitation of his old home, his childhood castle that had housed everyone he'd ever loved and everything he'd needed. Conor had gone, Ascher and Shiloh likewise. Saluce had disappeared before them and his scent had somehow managed to get into his nostrils on his visit there. Perhaps it had been the straw that broke the camels back- he'd cracked. He didn't think he'd ever felt so broken and down trodden. He perched on a fallen log, head hung and trying to gain control of the tears that were yet to flow properly.

A manly voice echoed in his mind and Saul jumped up. Green eyes at first refused to believe the cold truth in front of him- the grey body of the man who had been like a third father to him. A second now, since Conor was gone and he'd abandoned his family in Dahlia de Mai. The timber male shook, his whole body trembling. Right at the moment when he'd felt the worst, the man had materialised. If he hadn't been able to reach out and touch the man he wouldn't have believed he was there- many a time he'd caught Conor's scent or that of his missing siblings and started after it before realising it was old. But Saluce was here. Many happy words raised in his mind, but the words that actually came out were the furthest from what he himself expected.

You left us. You left us alone and lost! Conor is gone- Nayru has taken over and you know she's only a few months older than I am. We needed you Saluce and you left!

His words rushed over one another as rage the male had never really felt before took over. Saluce had missed the grand opening of his home, Siku moving in with him. He'd missed seeing Gideon's injuries, and Saul wondered if he might have been able to shed some light on it. All the hurt he'd felt from his lost family, Saluce and Conor included, welled in his guts. With an unheard of growl from the peaceful man, he moved on autopilot. He swung his fist towards Saluce's face, seeking a physical release from everything he'd tried to bury deep within him.
With a grunt the man dismounted the horse shortly after he spoke to the young male. His form showed more time worn ware then before, taking him longer to raise back up from the lofty height his horse stood at. No smile crossed his lips, just a stern look, watching the swirl of emotions run across Sauls face. Saluce was no happy with him, seemed he didn’t teach him very well when he was in his care. The behemoth took the screamed words at him in stride, waiting for him to calm down.

Practiced eyes saw the act before he even moved. And as soon as the shot was offered Saluce’s head ducked out of the way to the right while his left arm raised up lightning fast to grab the offending fist. One phrase described the man’s face, displeased, let down, or disappointed but it didn’t matter, it was quickly replaced with anger across his scarred brow. After all it had only been Conor and Bris to come to his aid that day, Nayru had had her own issues but Saul had been nowhere around. Saluce had worked like a madman during those days behind the scenes clearing limbs, offering his home to the displaced, and his reward was a shattered skull and a lost memory. All this pissy, depressed atmosphere around Dahlia had to change and change quickly or else he’d start beating it out of everyone. Nayru, Saul and everyone else had learned how to survive because of Conor, himself and the others that had eventually left.

“CALM YOURSELF BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU” he growled at him, one of the few times he’d ever raised his normally very soft spoken and light voice. He gave little thought as to Sauls position within the pack nor did he care, if Saul wanted his respect, for the position he had attained then he should show more damn maturity.
He didnt see it coming. So blinded by his rarely seen rage that he didnt see the man raise his arm to block Saul's badly aimed blow. He could no longer call himself a pacifist, because there were certainly things worth fighting for in the world. It was just rare to see the male upset about much. Despite his training with Saluce, he was no warrior. The grey man was and Saul was in way over his head. They both knew that Saluce could have him on the floor, his face in the dirt, in seconds. His wrist struck the mans arms and Saul held back the yelp of pain. It reverbrated up his arm, threatening to jar his elbow. Face twisted in a grimace he stumbled back instead, left hand coming swiftly up to rub at the bruised bone. Green eyes narrowed towards the older man and he tucked his ears back against his head as Saluce shouted at him. Lips twisted in a scowl Saul backed off.

"Im sorry... But you left us on our own, with no clue where you'd gone. And then Conor was goon too..."

He tried to catch his breath but it cauht in his throat. The man that had been his second father for a long time now and he wasnt so sure what to make of this situation. He wished Gideon was here to help him, even if the man had more going on in his life than Saul realised. Or Nayru- she would know what to do. But the black and white female had let him in the territory so she knew he was here. With a sigh Saul settled back, left hand still rubbing vigorously against his wrist. It hurt, as it rightly should have. He would learn in time not to attack the man for something that was beyound his control.
Saluce looked upon the young man with malcontent; his actions left a bad taste in his mouth. While Nayru had stepped up he had taken a few steps back, and he found himself disappointed in Saul. Saluce had taught him better than this, had taught him how to be a better man. But now he guessed he needed more to learn, Saluce had taken him as his son back then and his son he would be forever. In his defense he guessed he had no idea what had happened to him back during the blizzard. The behemoth didn’t remember Saul being around, Conor, Bris, Farore and Amata where the only ones that knew that his memory had been shot.

“Do you think it was easy on me? I lost all my memories of this place, I have a massive scar running across my forehead and I suffer from seizures to this day because of the trauma.” The grey behemoth chose to let that sink in for a bit as he turned his back on the reeling boy, he’d just stop thinking of him as a man for now and just a boy. Saluce spat at the ground in a figment of the bad taste he now held in his maw, no matter what rank that boy held he didn’t deserve the title. He re-mounted his horse with a grunt as he looked back down at Saul before speaking again.

“Stop crying, stop reeling in pain and be a man Saul. Life isn’t a merry little excursion with no pain or hurt in it. Even though I’ll never leave you and the rest of you again willingly, there will be a time when breathe ceases to fill my lungs, when my heart beats it’s last beat and you will be here to carry on. Change is the only constant in this world.” And that was that, he stood there for a few more moments, purposefully looking down on the boy. He had wanted to know how he was doing, wanted to know if he had found someone that sparked his heart, found a purpose in life and he wanted to know, but his mood had gone sour.

“I missed you Saul, you were a great pupil of mine,” he said in a softer tone finally, knowing at some point he couldn’t keep being a hardass with him in this fragile mental state he seemed to reside in. More patience he guessed was needed with him.
He didnt understand. The grey male didnt seem to have any comprehension about what was going on. And what was worse, he didnt seem to care. He didnt seem to care that he'd left them all here. Of course, the Stormbringer also didnt consider Saluce's side of the story. What if the male had no choice but to leave? The agouti male didnt think about that. He had rarely ever been a very selfish male- he'd lived most of his life to keep his siblings happy. But they were here anymore and Gideon seemed to have crumpled in on himself. Saul could remember the days on the beach, the race they'd had through the woods. And he hated the fact that his family was so broken. Did it have to be the same with Saluce? It appeared so. His harsh words echoed in Saul's ears, but the male was past the point of being resonable with the man. Green eyes narrowed and his lips peeled back to reveal long fangs. He wasnt in the mood to be talked down to by a deserter. Of course, it stopped when the grey male spoke of the hardship he'd gone through. Immediately Saul ran through in his mind all the plants that could help him with the seizures. It would have been easy to rattle them off, but he had no desire to help the man right now.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that on your own"

He bit back, bitterness marring his apology. He'd missed the grey male just a few minutes ago. And now he was here, he wanted nothing more than to move away from him. To go back to Siku and curl up there without worrying that he wasnt being 'manly' enough. Cinnamon backed ears tucked back at the male began to berate him for his feelings. Like vomit it seemed to come from the grey male and Saul couldnt help but think just how different they were in that moment. Despite the fact that he wasnt crying anymore, had there been no show of strength in Saul lashing out? He could have just sat on the floor and sobbed that his mentor was home. But he'd lashed out and attempted to hit the man, which was more 'manly' than what he could have done. The man was making no sense in that area, to Saul. The agouti male snorted when Saluce lectured him about death.

"Do you think I don't know about death Saluce? I watched my mother get mauled to death by my own family- I am fairly sure I understand that once you're gone, there isnt a thing you can do about it. Don't seek to lecture me on things that I have a fairly good grip on!"

He retorted, with another snarl. However, the males next words caught him off guard. Now well above him on his horse, perhaps another way to try and dominate him without actually touching him, Saluce admitted that he'd missed him. Saul wanted to snort once more, and shout at him that this whole display of feelings was because he'd missed him too. Surely Saluce should know that Saul wouldnt react in this way if he didnt care about the grey man? Surely Saluce understood that the only reason Saul was so angry was because he'd missed his almost-father. He wanted to shout again, wanted to hit the man for being such an idiot. But he remained silent as he dipped his head, ears flashing back and eyes searching the floor.

"You were the best mentor..."

He didnt need to say he missed him too, and Saul was fairly certain Saluce would see this as 'girl-talk' and therefore strictly forbidden. With those words however, the fight ebbed from the male, leaving him standing there, completely unsure whether his words would cause the male to kick off again.
Saluce merely watched him, his fight gone, the boy certainly didn’t get it, and he guessed he never would. Throwing a punch in anger was never the right thing to do; it was something to be done as a last resort, not because you were pissed off at someone. Saluce gave a sigh before turning his horse and putting a firm heel into its side to urge it on forward. He didn’t want to deal with Saul anymore; he was done dealing with over reacted children for now.

“I’ll be at the same place as always, the shop will be behind my home now,” was the last thing he said in parting to him. Saul would find out that Saluce wasn’t always the most forgiving after having a punch thrown at him.
The grey man didnt have anything else to say to him and Saul was just fine by that. Not realising what a spoilt and stroppy child he looked, standing with his arms crossed over his chest and a perpetual pout on his lips, Saul almost turned his head away. Saluce was up on his mighty horse and he wasnt coming down any time soon it seemed. Saul wasnt so far into his tantrum that he thought about spooking the horse, but part of him was just a little jealous of the male. Saul wanted a horse, wanted to catch a wild one and train one. But it would take a little while yet. He also wanted to figure out how much work he would have to put into building stables near his home. His future plans however, were pushed aside. Cinnamon ears flashed forward to catch the mans words. He wanted to snort, to retort that he wouldnt be visiting there any time soon. He had no desire to see the deserter in the next few weeks at least. But he knew a resonse like that would probably ruin any relationship with Saluce that he might have been able to hang on to.

"Okay..."

He offered instead before the male turned the horse away. Saul had no idea what on earth had just gone on. In a few hours he would look back on his behaviour and want to hit himself in the face. He'd been reduced to a bratty teenager, something he had never been when he actually was a teenager, all because Saluce had returned. He would look back on this incident and see just how selfish he'd been, blinded by a rare rage that he almost never felt. But right now, still bitter and angry, he turned away from the retreating horse, turned away from the shell of a house that had once been his own. He wanted to see Siku, let her calm him down. He shifted down into his lupus form, stretching and taking off at a full pelt run. He had no desire to stay around here anymore.