[M] The Best Activity For A Beach
Cassie sat on the shore of the beach. Beside her was a large glass bottle of rum mixed with vodka. She was in her optime form. Her russet mane was styled to look like long wild hair. She remembered the day her parents abandoned her. Her father was abusive and often hit her. She became an alcoholic. Her life has been seriously messed up. Her hunting bow was thrown aside off to her left and there was already an arrow loaded. If anything happened she doubted that she would shoot straight. The effects of the hard liquor had left her feeling tipsy, almost like she was sitting on a cloud.

She got up to stretch her legs and ended up staggering and falling flat on her face.
So much for werewolf keen senses. Her alcohol use had left her seeming like a drunken animal. She sighed and got up and slowly staggered back to her spot on the beach. She took a small dainty swig from the bottle and she smiled. This was the life. Drunk and at the beach. She let out a contented sigh and layed down. Almost like she was sunbathing. The weather wasn't hot or sub zero, but cool. The sun shone out. Usually it wasnt this sunny until summer, she brushed away the thought and was happy in her drunken state.
[html]
I'm going to assume this happened while Barrett was on his way to join CD, since I've been playing him as if he'd been around the city for about a week before he officially rejoined anyway and I wanted to have a thread with you Big Grin

Things must have been pretty sour for Barrett to decide he needed a bath, but even he had to admit after nearly a fortnight of travel and a week of hard labour the level of dust, dirt, and grime had gotten unacceptable. He'd done a satisfactory amount of damage control around the garage and his meeting with Savina was starting to feel a little overdue. Unfortunately, showing up matted and muddy wouldn't be proper.

And so, the boy made his way to the coast. He left his bag nestled amongst some rocks while he bathed in the waters whose chill was reminiscent of winter. The vast Atlantic probably wouldn't be suitable for (comfortable) swimming for another month, but this had to be done. He used his fingers to comb through his fur and loosen the soil that clung there; once finished he made sure to launder his pants as well.

As soon as possible he was out, shaking briskly and fervently soaking up the midday sun. It was only then he caught the soft scent of a female above that of the salty sea. He gathered up his things, slinging his backpack over one shoulder and the wet pants over another, and went to investigate. Once he reached the top of a small dune he spotted the lady, whose back was turned to his position. To some combination of alarm and amusement, he watched as the--apparently intoxicated--woman stumbled and fell in the sand.

Barrett couldn't help himself; he started to make his way over as she lay down (this time voluntarily) and sprawled out across the beach. His tail swung as his head popped into her field of view, a quizzical and bemused expression on his face. "How you holdin' up there, captain?" he asked, tone casual and non-judgemental. Everyone had their vices; he couldn't care less what others did as long as they weren't dicks about it.

<style>
.barrett-traffic p {padding:0px 10px 5px 10px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.barrett-traffic b {color:#FDE77D; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px;}
.barrett-traffic {font-family: trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#FEF2A6; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... affic1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 190px 0px; border:none; width:420px; border-radius:20px; -moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px; margin:0 auto;}
.barrett-ooc {font-family: trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#B16621; text-align: justify; background-color:#000000; border:none; width:400px; border-radius:20px; -moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px; margin:0 auto;padding:5px 10px 5px 10px;}
</style>[/html]
Cassie looked up from where she was sitting and saw the man. When he asked her how she was she replied simply with " I'm alright." She looked over at him, wondering what he was doing here. She put down her alcohol and took out a small can of soup foraged from one of the human stores. It was a meat stew with hardly any veggies. She started her fire, still peeking at the boy standing near her. She hadn't eaten in two days. " Wanna share?" She asked nicely. She felt embarrassed to be drunk. She sat up waiting for the soup to cook and smoothed her halter-style mini-dress and said " I'm sorry for being drunk." She noticed her drink was still sitting in tue sand and she picked it up.

She didn't know what to say to him next. She looked down and watched the fire light slowly flicker. She sat back down. Her next fear was when she passed out if she did later. She looked back at him studying his features. " I-Im Cassie." She wondered what his name was.

OOC: LOL I fail. XD
[html]

Given the face plant he'd witnessed just moments before, Barrett wasn't sure at first if he ought to believe her. Wasn't he surprised, then, when the loner managed to collect herself and start a small fire with ease? Not that he was complaining--it would help him dry out that much faster. He laid his sopping pants near the flames away from where she was sitting and took a seat by her side, though he wound up scooting backwards a bit since the effects of the sun and the fire combined were a little overwhelming.

He peered curiously at the canned stew; he'd seen such things laying around before but it never occurred to him to eat the contents. "Erm, no thanks," he said. The prospect was honestly somewhat nauseating, but he supposed if she'd done it before it couldn't be as bad as his mind wanted to believe. At her apology he offered a dismissive laugh. "A woman that can handle her booze and make a fire? Don't worry about it," he grinned.

"Barrett," he offered in time as a means of introduction. A pause. "Are you sure you don't want me to catch us a fish or something?" He couldn't help but be sceptical of that old can.

<style>
.barrett-traffic b {color:#FDE77D; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px;}
.barrett-traffic {font-family: trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#FEF2A6; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... affic1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 190px 0px; border:none; width:420px; border-radius:20px; -moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px; margin:0 auto;}
.barrett-ooc {font-family: trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#B16621; text-align: justify; background-color:#000000; border:none; width:400px; border-radius:20px; -moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px; margin:0 auto;padding:5px 10px 5px 10px;}
</style>[/html]
She smiled a bit and took a small sip of her drink and said "the food in the can is not bad, it is non perishable. So preserved well that it can be kept for a long time. You just have to eat it right away when you open them." She thought for a minute and said " a fish would be nice." She was thinking ' darn he's sexy.' then 'wait, rewind' was that the alcohol speaking or her own self? She didn't know. When the stew was finished, she took it off the burner over the fire and it spilled on her foot. She lept up saying " Shit! Ow my foot." When the burning subsided, she looked at her spilled meal laying in the sand and said to him " As you can see I'm not as dainty or elegant as most other females. She smiled at him crookedly still clutching her foot and waited.

OOC- Sorry for. The short post, I am on the bus!
[html]

The hybrid woman seemed to sense his reservations regarding the canned food and he listened half-heartedly to her appeal. While the concept seemed excellent (and intriguing) in theory, the chocolatey male still wasn't convinced. His mother had always warned him to shy away from any man-made consumables outside of liquor (which was self-preserving). He wished he could remember the exact logic behind her dubious warnings, but suddenly he wasn't sure if he'd ever been given details at all. In reality, the knowledge had been passed down through several generations and the science behind it was lost over time. It was Gale's parents back in Ireland who'd told him something about dents, something about rust... who knew.

Fortunately, she seemed open to a last minute menu change. "Cool, I'll go find us something," he said, rising to his feet and making his way to the shallows. A mid-sized tide pool seemed like a good place to start, and after squinting on all fours he finally spotted some shadowy movement beneath the surface. Holding his breath, he struck once, twice, three times before he managed to snag a plump fish. His head was still underwater when he heard the loner cry out behind him and he turned quickly, looking puzzled. She was dancing awkwardly on one foot while grasping the other.

Barrett hurried back to her, regarded the spilt soup momentarily, and dropped the fish. "Is it bad? Let's get some water on it; wait here," he instructed her before snatching up the discarded can. He darted to the water's edge, rinsed it out, and then refilled it before jogging back. "Here we go," he said, taking her injured foot as delicately as possible and pouring the cool liquid over the soup-matted fur. It wasn't like it was blistering or anything; he figured this mild treatment would suffice. When she professed her lack of refinement he offered a light laugh. "Haha, don't worry about it," he said.

"Just sit back and relax. I'll cook up the fish." The boy rooted around in his bag and produced a small pocketknife which he used to dexterously flay it. With the rubbery skin removed, it was easier to impale on a pointed stick he found laying around nearby. Careful to avoid the spilt food, he sat back down and held it half a foot over the flames, rotating it often so it would cook evenly. "So where are you from, anyway?" he wondered, peering at the rusty female curiously.

<style>
</style>[/html]
She sighed happily as the cool water seeped into her fur. She stared at the ocean and saw the fish. "The fish would be fine." She never had been a good cook. Even if it was simple like a can of soup. "I'm from a place far away from here. There it is summer almost all year round. It's a lot cooler here." She looked at the knife he was using and said "where did you get that knife, it's cool." She was intrigued by the object. She asked him after "Where are you from?" It was nice meeting others. It made her feel as if she wasn't going to go to insane any time soon.

She watched the fish cook. It smelled delicious. "I'm guessing you know how to cook, probably better than me." She gave him a small smile and then looked at the ocean once again. Watching the waves slowly roll in and pull back. The fire warmed her, and suddenly she wondered where she'd stay tonight. Sleeping on the beach wouldn't be that bad.

OOC- I could have used the table, but I'm using a school laptop.
[html]
No worries ^^ Again, if y'need any help with it, feel free to poke me Big Grin Also, sorry this was so rushed, we're going out for ice cream apparently~

Barrett listened as her voice rose above the crackling flames and crashing waves. He gathered that she was from further south (and by a pretty wide margin, by the sound of it), but for all he knew she could have been from the deserts of the southwest, the bayous of the southeast, or the tropics of Central America. She could have even hailed from some balmy climate overseas; who knew?

"Oh, it was a gift from dad for my First M--.. er," he trailed off, realising even if her birth pack had celebrated the First Moon Ceremony, it probably went by a different name. "My first shift," he concluded. On the first full moon following a youth's first shift, a celebration was held to mark the occasion as a rite of passage. It was customary for both the parents and pack leaders to present small gifts. "We're from a little further inland," he shrugged, "but not so far."

As for his cooking ability: "I dunno. I usually don't cook my food to be honest, especially if it's fresh. But y'already had this lovely fire going; couldn't let it go to waste, yeah?" Barrett was much too lazy to go through the process every time he ate, although he made exceptions in winter when he found half-frozen carrion. Holding the fish closer, he poked at it a couple of times to confirm it was done cooking and laid it to rest nearby for a couple of minutes to cool. Once he could split it without hurting his hands, he offered Cassie her half. "Here ya go," he smiled, waiting to see if she liked it before starting on his portion.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Cassie smiled as he explained his history and his homelands. She watched him cook the fish and take some off to eat. She listened to the waves and the crackling fire. When he offered her her half of the fish she said " Thanks it really looks good." She took a small bite, it was delicious. The saltyish flavor of fish exploding on her tongue. " This is really good." She sat down and ate the rest. The only food she'd been having was the canned food foraged from old human stores and such.

When she finished her fish she lay down and said " We get gifts like your knife on our first shift too. I got a bow and some arrows, but it's weird they didn't give me a quiver to put the arrows in. They hold it every new moon to celebrate the younger shifter's first shift. They called it 'The New Moon Revelrie.'" She sighed remembering when she was given her bow, had to wear fine clothing and was congratulated from all of the elders. She took a small sip of a bottle of wine and said " Feel free to have some of my liquor if you want. That is if you drink." She said with a light chuckle. She seemed to be the only one who had no refinement around here. It seemed as if she was the only one who drank!

She looked back over at the ocean, slowly calming and sounding quieter. Some stars were peeking out of the darkening blanket of sky and said " I'm not sure why I came here. Why did you come here?" She said laying on her back gazing at the sky. She felt calm and peaceful. She felt like she always knew him. She brushed her red hair away from her face and said " What was your life like?" She wondered what it was like. Hers wasn't perfect but everyone doesn't live a perfect life. " My father used to beat me and make me feel bad about myself. Maybe that's why I drink. I never felt beautiful I guess." She had never thought of herself as beautiful but just... Cassie. She sighed in contentment knowing she had a friend.

WC
<style>
.zero-lily p {padding:0px 10px 5px 10px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.zero-lily b {color:#d93222; font-family: times, serif; font-size:14px;}
.zero-lily {font-family: verdana,sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#fb5138; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://zero.sleepyglow.net/images/otras/yard/lily.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 190px 0px; border:none; width:450px; border-radius:20px; -moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Barrett found himself glowing as Cassie enthusiastically chowed down and paid her compliments to the chef. He had no real reason to get big-headed--it wasn't like he'd never caught a fish or cooked up a meal before. Even as he knew this consciously, her ardour spoke to him on a deeper, instinctual level. "I'm glad you like it," he replied smoothly, taking a few nibbles of his own. The fish was rather tasty and at any other time he would have devoured it, but between the unsavoury canned soup and her zest for the fresh meat, he could guess she didn't get many good meals. "I'm not too hungry, you can finish mine." A lie, but a white one spoken evenly without hesitation. The yearling had been practising his whole life; he took after Anselm in that respect.

He listened with interest as she described a festival similar to the First Moon, finding it particularly intriguing that while his birth pack had celebrated with the moon at its fullest, hers did when it was new. A new beginning or becoming whole--he could see arguments for either case and concluded that they were fundamentally the same. He regarded the finely crafted bow and carefully sharpened arrows, briefly wondering why she didn't use these to bag herself a more substantial meal. These thoughts were cut short by her next offer, however, which he graciously accepted. "It's been known to happen," he joked lightly before tossing back a swig. The burn was sharp but familiar. "You don't muck around, do ya? This has some kick to it!" he exclaimed as he took a second mouthful of the potent liquid.

He gently placed the bottle in the sand to mull over her next question--Barrett was never really sure why he did things, he just seemed to do them. As she reclined in the sand he mimicked her behaviour, kicking back and gazing at the heavens as the stars popped up, one by one. "I have a lot of extended family around here, but I don't know. I guess I just wanted to move around, where I grew up was nice but it wasn't very exciting." It didn't sound like she had been so lucky. Barrett frowned, rolling his head to look at her. "Your dad sounds like an asshole; forget about 'im. If only you could see the way the fire catches in your eyes, it sets them aglow." Barrett wasn't usually very poetic; perhaps the liquor was starting to kick in. That was no reason not to gulp down some more. "It even reflects in your fur, you know--so did the sun, earlier. Like a warm auburn aura." There was no reason for such a lovely young woman to have such poor self esteem.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Cassie took the drink and had a sip. Thinking about his words, she replied " My father was a chief of our Pack, so everyone was afraid of him. Nobody wanted to fight him or teach him what was right. Until one day, my uncle Zephyr challenges him. My father was killed, and Zephyr became the alpha. My uncle was my father figure. It's funny that everyone celebrated his death." She chuckled about how a man could be so despised, that people celebrate their passing. She sighed as the moon came up, leaving her fire a small flame barely burning in the night. She wanted to thank him for his compliments, but she didn't know how to phrase it. " I- Uh Thanks for saying I'm pretty." She didn't want to gloat, but she didn't want to seem cold and ungrateful.

She looked at him taking in his features and thinking. She flipped over on her belly, and said " For some reason, I'm attracted to you, but I'm not sure if it's me, instincts, or the booze thinking." She sighed and looked at her companion. She brushed her hair away and adjusted the feather in her hair behind her ear. She picked up her bow and ran her fingers over it still deep in thought. She hadn't used it in a while, because of her drunkeness. Being unable to shoot straight. She was a skilled archer when she was sober, but she couldn't help it.

She took a small swig of the alcohol they were sharing and put down the bottle in the sand. She looked in her bag and pulled out another bottle if something daintier and not as strong. Opening it with a quick twist of her hand she took a sip, letting the bubbly sensation tickle her tongue. She set it down and playfully kicked Barret in the leg.She shifted into her wolf form and play bowed. She seemed like a puppy, but she was drunk right now, not thinking of her actions. She wagged her tail. Begging him to join in. She then thought of how absurd she was being right now. She settled down a bit and said " I'm sorry." She smiled wondering if he was disgusted by her.

<style>
.zero-lily p {padding:0px 10px 5px 10px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.zero-lily b {color:#d93222; font-family: times, serif; font-size:14px;}
.zero-lily {font-family: verdana,sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#fb5138; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://zero.sleepyglow.net/images/otras/yard/lily.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 190px 0px; border:none; width:450px; border-radius:20px; -moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

It seemed like every sentient being was doomed to live with strife: for some it was interspersed with great periods of peace and calm, while for others it seemed unending and they simply marched from one tragedy to the next. Even in a tranquil place like Troika he hadn't been immune to heartache or disappointment. He was still very fortunate: his family dynamic had always been strange, but he could not imagine a world in which his own father was a monster. The heavy subject matter left him pensive and silent--what could he possibly say? That it must have sucked? That he was glad the bastard got what was coming to him? That his greatest life woes were typical teenage bullshit?

Nothing he said would undo the past or make things right, but he could always listen. His ears had fallen to half-mast as she completed her tale--a sympathetic and apologetic gesture. His gaze was distant and he stared numbly into the fire, the faint flicker of the dying flames reflecting in his pale yellow eyes. Strangely, she didn't seem as stricken as he was (at least in the moment)--perhaps she'd grown numb to it all herself. It took him a little to process her bold confession; once more he was at a loss for words, and so he merely looked to her and smiled, drunk and grateful to move away from the dire account of her history.

Her kick seemed to snap him out of it completely and his smile broadened into a grin at her initiation of physical contact. Perhaps if he'd been less drunk something about the situation would have seemed wrong, but Barrett's morals were loose from the start and the booze did a fine job of amplifying his disinhibition. He found himself shifting to his four-legged form in turn, returning the bow, and offering a huff--"Nah"--in dismissal of her apology. She had nothing to be sorry for. His tail swung and he darted closer to her, nipping gently at her ruff and darting away in an invitation to chase. His gait was sloppy and slow: he wanted her to catch him. Maybe responding to instinct was not so poetic or profound, but it was a call he would answer nonetheless.

<style>
</style>[/html]
Cassie laughed as she played. She bowed and leaped here and there. She gave chase to him, her running was terrible, slips and falls, and stumbling. She felt so carefree at the moment. She nipped at his ears and flank as they ran. Sand flying up around their heels as they ran. She started to howl, setting her song into the night sky. It sounded weird. She had always been silent and not very social. Right Now she felt like losing control. Her confession didn't matter to her now. She almost forgot about it! She pounced like a cat onto him and rolled around nipping gently. She jumped right back up to say "This really is fun!" She couldn't believe what she missed when she was a pup.

She sat down by the fire, the light illuminating her features. She felt like she was either going to pass out or throw up. Running after liquor was not the best idea. She lay in the sand paws to the sky on her back and said nothing. There really was nothing to say.

OOC-Sorry for the short post, my muse ran away with the spoon.
[html]
No worries, I think I overextended myself so this is short, too (and late). x_X Anyway, it was a fun thread and we should have another some time Big Grin Feel free to reply once more or request to have this archived. :3

Many strangers would regard such blithe tomfoolery as unbecoming of a young adult. Barrett struggled to recall the last time he'd romped around this way with one of his peers; it had to be before Taijitu, back when he and Morgan were still very young. Since then he'd horsed around with some of the Collective's newest additions, including his two younger sisters, his little cousin, and the leader's three children (Morgan's younger siblings). Playing with pups wasn't quite the same, however, and he revelled in the sloppy, unrestrained nature of this encounter.

Their carousal carried them well into the night, and, though he had half a mind to make a move after her prior display of interest, by the end it seemed nothing less than sleep was in order. Panting lightly, he curled up alongside her, then quieted to listen to the soft lullaby of the rolling waves. “Goodnight, Cassie,” he offered simply, bumping her chin with his muzzle as a gesture of night-time tidings and farewell. Barrett didn't plan to sleep long—once he sobered up, it would be time to press onward to Crimson Dreams.

<style>
</style>[/html]