trials of fire
[html]

WORD COUNT→378— Not usually so long. O_O Near the Town Hall, where she's been staying to help take care of Dawali and to be near the Great Fire.

Sleeping in the Town Hall was not as unpleasant as it might have been; she was near Dawali, and it allowed her to finish her daily chores with ease before returning to her home. She awoke, a mess of feathers and beads and waved locks and thick braids, rubbing at blue eyes with a creme hand — Chitsa had never been a morning creature, though she didn't slack in waking up when it was necessary. A groan escaped her jaws, wordless complaint to her body. Why so early? In truth, it wasn't; the sun had risen and the morning dew had faded under the heat. The youngest Amara woman rose from her bedding in a far corner sluggishly, fingers combing the knots from her scattered hair. As feathers fell out, she gathered them together and began to braid them back into place. The Gata Hineyu's hair was always a source of elaborate decoration — she did her best to maintain it, but it frequently fell into disarray as she gathered wood for the Great Fire and members of the Great Tribe. Despite having risen in her path back at their home, Chitsa had never been so haughty as to use her higher rank to get out of simple labour.

And simple labour was what she needed to complete. Slow strides carried her from the Town Hall and into the sunlit world of AniWaya, pools of blue squinting as she attempted to make herself used to the light. It didn't take long. AS soon as she was able to see without hinderance, she surveyed the area. The firewood she gathered for the rest of the Tribe needed to be stocked again; this was one duty she found most important, as this new tribe had so few in the path of the Fire Tender. Apart from Chitsa, the lone Gata Hineyu, there was Ralla — the Etekaiele Gata shouldn't have had to do the tedious chores when she had more important tasks to attend to.

A sigh escaped her and she leaned against the exterior of the hall, allowing her eyes to close. Perhaps just a few more moments to rest would be beneficial, just a few and then she would hop right to the task she knew needed to be done.

<style type="text/css">
.chitsablu-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:11px; text-align:left;text-indent:0px;}
.chitsablu b {font-weight:bold; color:#c5c2a8; letter-spacing:1px}
.chitsablu p {text-indent:15px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.chitsablu {margin:0 auto; background-color:#367a93; background-image:url(http://i51.tinypic.com/2lw3rdl.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 255px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#c5c2dd; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:400px; border:1px solid #202e2e; margin:0 auto;}
.chidivide {width:90%;border-bottom:1px solid black;margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Ok and what's the date of this post? / Word Count: 513 (5 points)

Songan had been settling well into his new home. He could feel the cool air of the outdoors sinking into his home as he slept. The pelts under his body helped to provide him some warmth as well as comfort from the ground. Morning was coming and the male was up and ready. He was known for getting up early in the mornings. It gave him the time to start setting up his crafts and getting ready for the day’s work. Today he had planned on finishing the bag he was making for his brother and then head to the Town Hall and check on some things. The male yawned as he raised himself up and reached for his things. He took out the small pouch and continued to sew on some more of the beads. The feather was coming together. All that was missing now was the stem of the feather and a little something extra on the bottom. He figured he would be able to finish it tonight after he had stopped by the Town Hall. Since that was where his brother was staying, he hoped he would spot his sister while he was there. The male set aside his things as he moved outside and whistled for his horse. The horse heard its master’s call and came to him, making happy noises. He gently pet it before moving to its side and sitting up straight on its back. He was now ready to head out. He gently kicked his companion and began to head towards the village.

As Songan came closer to the village, he could see the flames of the Great Fire racing up into the sky. He was sure someone was there feeding the flames. Perhaps today he would be lucky enough to meet another member of the tribe. He slowed down his speed as he entered the village and began to make his way over towards the Town Hall. The fire’s size only increased as he came closer and noticed a figure tending to it. The smoke was clouding his gaze and making it a bit hard for him to see just who it was. He had his horse move to the side and out of the smoke so he could get a better view. The wolf working there had a female’s figure and one familiar to the old wolf. He came closer, a smile coming to his face as he colors began to appear. She had a similar pelt to himself and dressed her hair in beads. "Hello Chitsa. I’m glad to see that you made it here safely. Attending to your duties I assume?" He gave a light chuckle before sliding off his horse and moving over to his younger sister’s side. It was nice to see her again since his journey to AniWaya from the Great Tribe. He still showed his brotherly concern for her, though he masked this well. He did not wish to make it feel like he was hovering over her constantly. "I trust you are doing well?"

[/html]
[html]

WORD COUNT→280— Dated for the same day it was posted. Also, I never actually mentioned Chitsa was feeding the Great Fire, since she wasn't; she was just resting on the Town Hall.

If she'd been paying attention, the familiar scent of another sibling would have quickly brought Chitsa to attention; as it was, she simply remained leaned upon the town hall, thoughts churning about her daily business. Instead of scent, it was sound that brought the ears of Chitsa Amara to the front. Blue eyes opened to the steps of a horse, face turning from something passive to something annoyed. It was too early to be dealing with questions from the others. She'd already had to deal with Nayati. How many adults were going to pester the Fire Tender? But it wasn't some unknown face who came out of curiosity — this face was more familiar than even the handsome, white Utina. It was shock that kept her silent. As Songan spoke, greeting her and asking questions about her welfare, Chitsa was surprised.

And then suddenly she wasn't. Her brother approached and she found her voice. "Songan!" It wasn't an exclamation of joy, or excitement, but a declaration filled with anger. Why was he there? Why? "You should have stayed there, Songan, you shouldn't have come here." She pulled away from the wall of the structure, fingers finding their way into the waved locks of her hair as they always had when she was anxious; the childhood habit spoke volumes of the youngest Amara. It wasn't that the young woman was displeased to see him, simply that her worry for their mother had increased. That, and Songan had been notorious for his overbearing protection of the girls.

A feather was yanked out, only to be replaced again. "When did you arrive?" she asked, twisting to face the taller male with a face of curiosity.

<style type="text/css">
.chitsablu-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:11px; text-align:left;text-indent:0px;}
.chitsablu {margin:0 auto; background-color:#367a93; background-image:url(http://i51.tinypic.com/2lw3rdl.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 255px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#c5c2dd; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:400px; border:1px solid #202e2e; margin:0 auto;}
.chidivide {width:90%;border-bottom:1px solid black;margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Oh sorry. I must have misread. I will try not to do that again XD. / Word Count: 512 (5 points)

Songan turned his horse away from the flames and came to the Town Hall. He did not wish to damage his equine companion in any way from the smoke, not the mention the large structure was his destination to begin with. He wanted to check on the status of the canoes. He knew Sanuye liked to fish and wanted to make sure there were some she could use when she wanted to go fish out on the water. The she coyote’s image appeared in the old wolf’s head as he thought of her. He smiled as he began to make his way up the steps. He wondered if his brother would be here today or out doing some duties of his own. His golden gaze moved around and didn’t see his brother, so he must have been out for the day. He gave a small yawn as he entered into the large structure and looked around for the supply of canoes.

The male’s gaze turned over to his sister with a bit of surprise. She didn’t seem to be pleased with the fact that he was there, in fact he could see the hint of anger in her eyes. Why wouldn’t she be happy that her brother had come to the tribe? His ears folded down slightly to her words. Had she changed in the time it took her to travel to the tribe, or was there something more to this? He gave a small sigh followed by a frown. "What’s wrong my dear sister? Why are you not pleased to see me here? I thought you would be happy to know I was coming." He looked down to her before crossing his arms. "I worry about you. Did something happen to make you upset besides my presence?" His worry for his sister only seemed to grow and he did not wish to make her feel uncomfortable. He relaxed his posture as he waited for her response.

Songan was a bit pleased to see the she wolf’s curiousity come up and her anger fading. Perhaps if he could answer her questions then it would bring her out of this state of mind. "I arrived just a few days ago. I meet up with Dawali at the borders and told me that you where here as well. Have you been staying here with him?" The male could catch the small scent of his younger brother in the building as well as on his sister. It was nice to see that she was staying so close to him. At least now Dawali would have some family company nearby him. As he waited for her response, the wolf went back to his task and went looking for the canoes, though wasn’t too sure of where they were. His orbs turned back to his sister. If she was here then surely she would know where they are. "Chitsa, do you know where they keep the canoes here? I wanted to check up on them before returning home for the day."

[/html]
[html]

WORD COUNT→344

It was not that the woman was displeased to see her brother — in fact, when it was only Songan, she was quite content to have him around — but that she worried for the plight of their people with the head of their family now in the off-shoot tribe so far away. Agitsi had two other sons, and her older sister, but with the loss of doda, she was sure that their mother would have taken the loss of her children as hard as any. Of course, the frown that crossed the craftsman's face halted her irritation to some extent; she didn't want to upset the man. His questions were taken with a nod, periwinkle eyes closing as they were rubbed with a cream-furred hand, but no words came forth until she questioned him on his arrival.

Dawali hadn't told her about Songan's arrival, but she supposed that he'd simply been so busy it hadn't crossed his mind; she knew that she was also spending more time attending to her duties in the pack rather than asking about new faces that joined the ranks. "Yes, staying with him. With Mischka gone, and with the injury, I wanted to help him." In the mind of the young woman, it made sense; Dawali and Songan had done so much for her during her childhood that she felt it necessary to give back to them, be it in the form of cooked meals and company or simply as emotional support in life. She watched as he searched for something, finally opening his mouth about what it might be: canoes. She frowned. "Why would I know where they keep their canoes, Songan, I've only just arrived." The words were biting and harsh, filled with a grumpy undertone that was not uncommon to the Fire Tender's voice. She had never been fond of water other than the wash the mass of feathered braids and beaded waves or dirt from her fur after working; swimming, fishing, these were things that Chitsa did not take pleasure in as others might have.

<style type="text/css">
.chidivide {width:90%;border-bottom:1px solid #202e2e;margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count: 511 (5 points)

Songan tried to think of things that might have been causing his sister to act in such a way. Why would she not want him to be here? He wondered if it might have been because he arrived shortly after her and thinking maybe he followed her to come and protect her. In a sense this was true, but he didn’t want to make it look like he was constantly over her. She was a free she wolf now and old enough to take care of herself. He gently crossed his arms as he began to think again about what else might have caused this. After a few moments, he did seem to catch on that her irritation with him was beginning to vanish. As this was going on, he formed a small smile on his face. They shouldn’t be fighting over why he was here and instead should be happy that the family was together.

Judging from the she wolf’s question of when he had arrived, Dawali had not told her about him being there before. His brother must have been busy with his duties for the tribe. He was sure that his sister was also keeping up with her duties, just as he was and gathering some items to begin making his crafts. He nodded as the red wolf began to explain that she wanted to help their brother and that’s why she was staying there. It was nice to see her looking after family as he did back in the Great Tribe. "It’s good to see you looking over him. I was a bit worried about him as he told me about his leg when I first arrived. I’m sure he’s happy to have you nearby." He smiled as he moved his ears back up. He was feeling much better about meeting up with his sister and getting to talk to her.

Songan then continued to search for the canoes, still not really having any luck. His ears moved as he heard his sister’s response to his question. A small frown reformed on his face as he turned to face her. "There’s no need to be so bitter Chitsa. It was just a question. I did not mean to offend you if I did." He turned back away from her and continued to look through the Town Hall. He began to head back out, not sure if he should offer his sister to join her. He did not wish to upset her again. He looked around until he finally found the canoes and pondered for a moment. It looked like there could be the use of another being added. He would have to find a nice big thing of wood to make the canoe out of. The male looked over to Rain as she was still where he left her. He began to make his way back to his sister and scratched the back of his neck. "Chitsa, would you mind helping me with making a canoe? We can talk as we work."

[/html]
[html]

He approved of her determination to care for their brother, and it only confirmed that it was the proper thing to do; Dawali, as well as Songan, had helped to raise the youngest Amara and it was only right to give back to him in his time of need. The death of Mischka had been hard for Chitsa to overcome; she had seen the outgoing mate of Dawali to be as much family as any of her siblings, though she had never been particularly close to her. Memories of the woman caused Chitsa to find her hair again, twisting a bead-laced braid about one finger. Songan went back to his search of canoes, or so she assumed. Her attention went to the sky.

She huffed out a deep breath in response to his words, turning away from him just slightly in order to stare at the ground. A feather was yanked from one braid, quickly replaced by Chitsa's nimble fingers. She wasn't offended — despite the ease in ruining a mood in the red wolf, she was fairly difficult to offend — but she managed to maintain her aggravation. Her attention was set on rocks beneath her feet, at least until her brother invited her along to work on crafting a canoe. The woman frowned faintly, turning her head towards the elder Amara. "Yes, I suppose that's fine. Do we need more of them?" Slowly, she turned to face Songan, approaching him and his horse with a careful gait. "How are they made?" She had never been capable as a craftswoman, only able to do small things that were picked up from their doda.

<style type="text/css">
.chidivide {width:90%;border-bottom:1px solid #202e2e;margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count: 501 (5 points)

Songan was set on his task of checking on the canoes. It was not exactly the duty of a craftsman, but he wanted to make sure that there were plenty to be used when fish was plentiful and the other tribe members wanted to use one to go fishing. He was sure he would be able to make at least one this day, especially if he would be able to get his sister to help him. For the moment she seemed to be off in her own little world and thinking of some other things. He would let her have the time she needed before beginning the work. As the rust wolf was waiting, he moved back over to Rain and took the rope that he had brought with him and swung it over his shoulder. He knew he was going to need it to bring the wood back for making the canoe.

His golden gaze moved over to the she wolf as she came over to Songan and Rain as she said she would help him. It was nice that his sister would be helping him, but he was a bit taken off by the frown she wore when she answered. It was alright if she didn’t want to help him, no one was forcing her to do anything. "Yes. It looks like we could use a couple more, though it make take some time for us just to make one."He gave her a small nod before turning back to Rain and getting up on her back. He reached his hand down to her. "Perhaps you would like to ride with me Chitsa?" It would be alright if she didn’t want to ride with him. She then asked how they were made. He pondered for a moment and then began to explain. "They’re made of wood. The canoes have to be carved into their shape. We’ll have to make sure there’s enough room for a couple of us each to sit in it."

Once the two amaras were ready to leave, he began to head to the woods near the Town Hall. He was sure he would be able to find a nice knocked over log they could use to build the canoe. After a bit of time, he slid off the horse and began to look around. He kept his rope with him so that he could use it as measurement and make sure the one they picked out he would have enough rope. He looked over to Chitsa and swayed his tail. "Ok, we need to find a nice shaped log. I don’t have any tools to cut anything down, so we’ll have to use one that has fallen already." His golden gaze moved around as he continued to look. The red wolf spotted a nice one and began to measure it with rope. It had a good thickness, though was very long. He wondered if there were any shorter logs nearby.

[/html]