getting started
So I see this is the request page, and I have some requests :]

My name is Jon. I'm new to this and I have no idea how to post with people, customize my page, or anything. What is the best charachter type, etc. So basically I'm going to keep this short and sweet and ask for some assistance from a charitable, and preferably experienced, soul in getting started.

I'm really excited to have found this site, it looks organized, and the posts I've read since joining are rather interesting.

Also, I'm having a hard time navigating the site, so I apologize to whoever's page this is, provided it actually even belongs to someone.

ANYWAYS... Help would be appreciated, thanks!
Character type you have to figure out for yourself, what sort of character do you play the best? Do you want male or female? What species do you like? Any key personality traits you play well? No one but you can decide what sort of character you can play.

Here is where you will be able to edit your profile and put in your character's information.

This forum will be of the most use to you because it catalogs all the important information about the site.

You will have to officially join and become titled in order to actually play here. So you will need to look over the information and decide on your character before you join.
Hey Jonathan!

I'm Sie, roleplayer of Eris here, and semi-useful (depending on who you ask XD) admin here at 'Souls. :3

The Requests forum is acutally for Graphics Requests rather than assistance requests and the like. ^^; No big deal, though, I've split your post off and moved it to the proper forums. Big Grin Our navigation is fairly confusing at first, so it's quite alright if you encounter some confusion and uncertainty. This forum -- Help and Questions -- is the best place to post if you need assistance, however. ^_^

I would start off at 'Souls by reading over the game information topics in the RP Information forum, but it sounds as if you may have already checked this out. The Joining information is how you actually join the game, but the other topics in there are (mostly) important as well.

If you haven't already seen it, parts of the RP Guide will be very useful for you -- this guide contains a ton of information regarding character creation and the like. I'd pay attention to the articles marked "Beginner" as they're geared toward those new to 'Souls or new to roleplay (not sure if you have prior experience ^^Wink.

There's not really a "best" character type -- you should roleplay what you feel will be interesting and fun! For some, this may be a young puppy that they can develop and grow with; for others, it might be an older character with an established past and history. The Character section of the RP Guide -- specifically, Basics, Appearance, and Personality -- will probably be the most use for you in developing your character.

I would probably start by jotting down some notes for your character -- you can do that here, in this topic, or in a private Word or Notepad or Google Document. If you'd like to post your character notes publicly here, others can give you feedback. Big Grin When you have your character's basic idea down, check our your Control Panel. You can edit your character's information in there. There is a guide for filling out a complete profile available here for you.

If it's completely overwhelming for you to think up a few character, I would recommend checking out the Open Characters list -- these are adoptable characters available on the board. :3

I hope that's a good foundation for you to get started -- there's still more to worry about (primarily, whether you'd like to join a pack and which one -- I recommend joining a pack, as it's a great way to get involved, and Loners sometimes encounter more trouble finding threads and roleplay opportunities). If you require further assistance, do feel free to post to this topic -- I'll be watching out and I'm sure others can contribute, too! Welcome to 'Souls. ^^
Thanks very much you two, you've been very helpful!

I've pretty much got my charachter personality done for now. Not really sure about my biography but that's just because I'm not really sure about the environments, creatures and such. I'll work on his appearance too, but I've basically got the gist of it down.

I've noticed you guys have cool backgrounds and little emoticons under your charachter faces (also need to find out how to get one of those bad boys) and am curious to know if you need rank to acquire these.

I'm also not sure how to join a pack, or what I should look for in choosing them.
QUOTE (Moonfire Ghost @ Jun 18 2011, 10:41 PM)
I've noticed you guys have cool backgrounds and little emoticons under your charachter faces (also need to find out how to get one of those bad boys) and am curious to know if you need rank to acquire these.[/quote]

Nope, you don't need a rank to be able to modify your profile skin or use the pixelwolves. There is a guide for modifying profile skins [html]here. If you aren't familiar with CSS codes, which are used to modify the appearance of the profiles, you are certainly welcome to make a request in the Requests subform of the Talents forum. One of our members will gladly help you and and create a new look for your profile.

As for the pixel wolves in the profile, Sie made them for everyone to use and modify, and you can find them here. You can try editing them yourself, or you can also request in the Talents forum for someone to modify them for you. :] [/html] Then to include them in your profile, just use the HTML code where you want them.

EDIT: Oh, i am a derp. If you're referring to the icons underneath everyone's avatars when they post, those ones are obtained from cashing in game points from individual pack games or the board-wide [html]Word of the Day game.[/html] You may also purchase them through the 'Souls store, should you feel so inclined. Sorry if I caused confusion. XD /EDIT

Quote: I'm also not sure how to join a pack, or what I should look for in choosing them.

You can find all the information about joining both the board and specific packs [html]in this topic. There you can see what you need to know to join, and what form to fill out, and where to post it when you do. :]

As for figuring out what pack to join, we have a list here that includes all of our packs with information about each of them. If you aren't sure where you want to join, I suggest looking it over to see what might best fit for your character. Most of the packs are open to all, but a few of them have specific requirements. Inferni is coyote-dominant, and your character needs to be at least 25% coyote for you to join them. Salsola welcomes canines of all types, but they don't accept non-Luperci, and may even act agressively toward them. o: [/html]

I hope that helps, and feel free to let us know if you have more questions regarding these! :]
Actually you have to be 50% coyote to join Inferni. There has been a policy change. And for Salsola you have to be recruited In Character to join. You can't just walk up to the borders and ask like you can all the other packs.
So I think I'm pretty much good to go and I'm anxious to get started. My charachter page is rough, and it will get better, but I'd rather make my own instead of using a premade one. How will I learn? n_n

Sooo yeah, I've been looking at all of the packs, their locations on the map, and their posts and such things and I've settled on two I'd like to consider joining. Crimson Dreams, and Cour des Miracles. Although one guy from CdM freaked me out with one of his posts he's trying to get someone to write with him. It was a rather... shall we say... disturbing attempt at being erotic. Pretty visual though, so they definitely have talent. I just... wasn't expecting it.

Another few questions to bother you guys with.

How do I start posting, where am I allowed, and where oh where in Soulverse am I allowed to drop my charachter?

~Jon
Joining a pack is pretty easy. Smile Once you decide, you simply write a post within that pack's forum and have your character approach the borders. Someone from that pack will greet you, and through a series of posts, you'll go through our joining process.

Here is a good example of an IC joining thread, for reference.
Another thing, if I may; usually, threads that have erotic or otherwise questionable content will be marked with an [M] in the title. If you see one of those, keep in mind that they probably have that sort of thing in it! If you find a thread that has erotic, mature, or otherwise questionable themes but doesn't have an [M] or other sort of mature tag directly in the title, feel free to post in the maintenance thread with the link of the thread in question and they'll tag it for you. :3
Okay, so I know I look incredibly stupid right now... but I can't find specific forums for specific packs!
Don't worry! On the main index of this board are two forums named "Northern Packs" and "Southern Packs". Both the packs you mentioned are located in the Southern Packs area, and by clicking on their names, you'll find their individual forums. Smile