Joining - Looking for a Home (Leader Needed)
Mai trotted quietly through the woods, raising her head in the air occasionally to smell the air around her. A while back she had come too close to trespassing on Coyote territory for her liking. Although she was a fellow coyote, she was travelling for a purpose. Her Mammi had told her that she would find her uncles near the mountain range but, here she was, and there was no familiar scent in site. True, she hadn’t seen them since the one time they had traveled down to Rochester to see her Ma, but even if she was 2 months old at the time, their scents were still memories in her mind. She didn't even know whether they knew her Ma had died, and that was another reason for her to look for them.

Her stomach churned endlessly. How long had it been since she hunted something? She’d been lucky enough to pass a stream to drink, but she every time it seemed she found a place to hunt, it had been in some pack’s territory. Whining softly, Mai padded under the shade of a tree, the ground damp underneath her, and lied down. She lay her head down, snuggling her nose in between her paws. ‘I wish Mammi was here to tell me what to do’ she thought to herself. Maybe she should join a pack and give up her search. For all she knew, her uncles -fellow loners- could be dead by now. As the wind blew across her face, Mai could detect a faint wolfish tang in the air, and knew that another pack was nearby.

Having nothing to lose, the young coyote made her way towards the scent. She went about halfway through the forest, which was getting denser by the moment with small animals scurrying through the trees, when she reached the boundary, definitely marked. Letting out a lone howl into the territory, Mai waited. Her tail automatically dropped and she lowered her head to show submission to whoever was to find her. Her ears, though, as much as she tried to keep them respectfully back, flicked with every sound in the forest for sign of another canine. She wondered absently how long it would take to be found, and whether she’d be accepted.
[html]
Not sure if I'm allowed to greet joiners, but might as well give it a try. Short, because I love short joins, and beautiful writing on your end! Also -- sorry if you can't read this! Please tell me if you have any trouble with it.

It was, perhaps, strange to see Ravesque outside of the cavernous system of Anathema, where he felt so comfortable — it was similar not only to the Brunswick cult, but to the cavernous den of the pack from so long ago — but that did not mean he never left. In fact, it was quite the contrary. He enjoyed fresh air as much as the next body. What he didn't enjoy, though, was distraction from moments alone. When the call reached his ears, crimson eyes twisted to search for a face that wasn't there. Someone was at the borders, someone who would later need to see Naniko. Without much second thought, he found himself wandering the path toward the call, ears alert to more sound. What he found was strange. A young woman, much younger than any he'd found inside of his home (with the clear exception of his own daughter), of the coyote variety. Differences in build led him to believe her blood was far from his own wolfish sort.

In silence, he studied her, though quickly pushed his curiosity to the back in order to address the girl fully. "You don't have to do that," he offered, rich and deep voice cutting through the softer sounds of the mountains and the forest. Submission was pleasing enough to the dark male, but he found no reason for her to bow to him; it would be Naniko that she would need to impress with her humility. The large creature crossed his arms before his chest as he waited, quietly, for an introduction — she would have to offer it, as he wouldn't ask for one.

<style type="text/css">
.tabletradlealli02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#cbc094; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.tabletradlealli02 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.tabletradlealli02 {margin:0 auto; width:455px; background-color:#dfeae1; background-image:url(http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... rad002.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #54847c; padding: 5px 0px 130px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#82aaa3; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
000+

[/html]
(ooc: Thank you, and your writing is wonderful as well)

Raising her head slightly to glance at the man in front of her, Mai felt her fur bristle nervously. His size made her want to bow her head back down but his request had been almost an order, and so she kept her gaze. She knew he could probably kill her in a second if he really felt disrespected. Unconsciously kneading the ground beneath her paws, she finally spoke up when it seemed that he had nothing left to say. “I am Mai.” Her already soft voice quivered slightly in her anxiousness.“I’ve been wandering for a month now, after leaving my home, and I-I was wondering if I could possibly join this family.”

Her eyes flickered over the man, much taller than she in optime form. He didn’t look especially friendly but, he hadn’t said or done anything remotely threatening and Mai felt her haunches and spine relax. She wondered what the other pack members would be like - if she was let in, of course- and if she would spend her life here. She wondered if someday she’d have and raise her pups in this territory. The questions filled her mind and excitement flowed through her at the thought of settling down here. She wasn’t even part of the pack and yet she could feel all the opportunities around her. Living with her grandmother, it was always so quiet and calm and lonely. Mai had never had companions before, nor a real family, and couldn’t wait to get the chance to.
[html]

You can edit 'Leader Needed' (or something similar) into your post title to let Honey or James know they're required now; we can keep posting, of course, until they show up. James is really good about jumping on joiners.

mall-caps;">from the Binds mall-caps;">of your Lowliness

He could smell the nerves on the air. Something about the land, or perhaps it was simply him, caused unrest in the girl who had come to them. Was Anathema so fearful? Was he so fearful? Oh, yes, he was large, but he had never considered himself something to fear. The Tribunal had possessed different ideas — under their urging hands, he had punished many with physical retribution, but he was no longer such a brutal thing. His ears twisted atop his head, searching the air for other sounds while she offered an introduction; he couldn't have been the only one to hear the call of the woman, and he didn't much like the idea that he might be snuck up on by anyone. She offered a name and a desire to live within the ranks of Anathema and Ravesque tilted his head completely to truly examine her. "You're young." It wasn't an accusation, merely an observation that he felt it necessary to voice. It was, after all, obvious.

His own call was released into the air, beckoning the snowy Queen or ashen Prince to come and see what he had found, and he gave a signal to the girl that she could come across the borders. There was no reason to make her wait. He could take her steps closer to her future, with little fear of rebuke from his leader. "If you'd like to follow me," he started, stepping away from the invisible line without finishing his sentence. It would be a small tour, only from the border to a place near the entrance of the dens, but a tour nonetheless.

<style>
.ra-textual {margin:0px auto;width:450px;background-color:none;background-image:none;background-position:top middle;background-repeat:no-repeat;border:none;padding:0px;font-family:times new roman, sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;text-align:justify;margin-top:15px;}
.ra-textual-ooc {font-style:italic;font-size:11px;margin:2px; padding:0px;text-align:left;}
.ra-textual p {text-indent:25px;margin:0px;padding:5px 10px;}
.ra-textual b {font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1px;}
.ra-textual i {font-style:italic;letter-spacing:1px;}
@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Astloch&v2);
</style>
[/html]
Following, Mai took notice of her surroundings as they passed. The forest was disappearing around them while the huge mountain came back into view for them to see. The air had a crisp smell to it compared to the humid dampness of the forest. It must’ve rained recently. She caught the stale scent of other wolves who had passed by earlier in the day and wondered how far it was to the den, since she couldn’t see any others in their general area. Not knowing what to say, Mai continued to look around, catching sight of a small chipmunk scurrying to it’s burrow as they passed. Her belly was knotted up in either fear or anticipation, probably both, as they headed onwards.

She wanted to know all about the pack but didn’t know what she was really allowed to say. How many people are there in the pack?” she finally asked hesitantly, not being able to stand the silence for another second. The man - she really should ask his name - definitely didn’t seem inclined to hurt her and even let her in the territory, surely she could speak, right? Then the thought hit her that he might now want to talk, for he hadn't said anything that wasn't necessary nor had he introduced himself. Mai just hoped he wasn't annoyed easily.
[html]

-jumps on- Hi, welcome! Big Grin

She was wary of those who came to her border these days; very recently, she had found a jackal-hybrid brutally beaten and stabbed just beyond them. The loner hadn’t trespassed or done anything to displease the Angela beyond disturbing her rest, which pack members did on a regular basis anyway, so the leader had taken pity on her and offered her assistance. Naniko had been a healer many years ago, and that type of practical knowledge hadn’t faded easily or quickly from her mind. She had recalled a few tricks and had used some of the ointment in her personal store to mend the jackal as well as she could before handing her off to her son Scorpius to supervise. A loner wouldn’t be allowed within the lands without some type of supervision; Rew wasn’t family or related to anyone in the pack, and wasn’t to be automatically trusted.

A familiar voice at the border caught the large female’s attention as she padded through the brush toward her cave home. It hadn’t sounded terribly urgent, but she hurried nonetheless. She traveled swiftly through the forest toward the pair at a run, her daggers clinking together on one side of her weapons-belt while her axe handle hit against her leg lightly on the other. She never went anywhere without her belt but wore no other clothing even in her preferred optime form. If she’d left her hair unbound it would have covered her alabaster pelt in cascades…but she liked it plaited back into a braid that’s end hit around the curve of her lower back. Something now noticeable about the Angela was her belly, however; there was a slight bulge there, one that seemed uncharacteristic in comparison to the muscled tone of the rest of her form. Pregnancy.

Jade eyes observed the duo as she slowed down, going to a walk before stopping completely. ”Ravesque. She addressed. I see you’ve finally started to take some initiative here. It’s pleasing to see…I was wondering if you’d continue to laze around the cave as a Zepar your entire stay” Her words were said in a jesting tone, a slight smirk upon her muzzle. ”I see you’ve found somebody…not a threat, is she? She doesn’t look like much of one, but you never know…” Her eyes went to Mai. ”What lands did you come from, Girl?” She didn’t smell of Inferni, the coyote clan.

<style>
.AnaFK-07 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.AnaFK-07 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.AnaFK-07 b {font-family:verdana; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 0px 0px 2px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.AnaFK-07 {background-color:#abb092; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:496px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... s/rawr.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:294px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .AnaFK-07-border {width:498px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}</style>[/html]
[html]
Rav will probably duck out in the next post or so.

He lead her through the lands at a slow, lazy pace; it was better for Naniko if she didn't have to traverse the entirety of her lands. The silence was strange, though not undesired, as Ravesque was a quiet man himself — he rarely expected conversation between himself and others. When she did speak, he caught the hesitation in her voice. Yes, it must have simply been he that caused the discomfort in the young girl. Though he continued to walk, his head turned to glance back to the prospective member; her question made sense, though he rarely heard it even from the members themselves. "A few." He wasn't entirely sure. Naniko and her young Rakeeb, a woman smelled on the coat of the dark subleader, his three children — his life within the caves made him wonder of the entirety of the clan itself.

As expected, it didn't take long for Naniko to find them; the white Queen emerged, in stark contrast to the landscape around them, his eyes found her body. It wasn't odd for him to focus on her. Sometimes he wondered why. He was silent as she teased him, taking in changes — most notable was the vague distention of her stomach. A wave of discontent caused his apathy to falter into vague irritation; irritation? What a silly thing to feel about it. Naniko had never been his woman — despite their son, he often kept to himself — but there was faint envy in his gaze as he turned it back to the earth.

A hand rose to stroke his lower jaw. "I wouldn't find myself used to it, Naniko; I enjoy being a lazy Zepar just as much as I enjoy my initiative." It was hard to tell if his own jest was truly jest, as his gaze remained averted and his tone even, but there was a smile that graced his inky features briefly before fading again into the murky depths. The topic of the girl caused him to look up once more: "She's a little girl; I doubt she's a threat. Not to me, at least." Almost as if to punctuate the idea that he could protect something from such a small thing, there was a subtle flex to his biceps.

<style>
.ra-textual {margin:0px auto;width:450px;background-color:none;background-image:none;background-position:top middle;background-repeat:no-repeat;border:none;padding:0px;font-family:times new roman, sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;text-align:justify;margin-top:15px;}
.ra-textual-ooc {font-style:italic;font-size:11px;margin:2px; padding:0px;text-align:left;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(sorry for the long wait)

Mai looked up awe at the woman standing in front of her. She was beautiful! Her fur was pristine and completely white, her mane combed out into a long braid that swung into view as she walked towards them. Her body automatically went into a submissive pose, tail touching the back of her thighs and ears back. The coyote could tell, just by the way the woman held herself, that she was the leader. Not to mention the authority in her tone as she spoke to the other -Ravesque was his name apparently - that could be heard through their teasing tones. A chuckle almost escaped her at the mention of her a threat. Mai was practically quivering in her fur trying not to mess up their first impression of her; she was far from any threat.

“I’m from South of Ontario, across the lake, about where Rochester used to be.” The girl answered Naniko, her head bowed slightly. She felt as if she were under scrutiny, which she was obviously, but it still left an uncomfortable tingle under the surface of Mai’s fur, which bristled uncontrollably. She wasn’t sure how freely she could speak to the woman, but added, “I was in the area looking for any living family of mine, but I couldn’t find them. I didn’t have anywhere to go, am very far from home, and thought this would be a wonderful place to stay permanently.” Mai finally silenced herself, scolding herself for her habit of talking too much. It always just got her in trouble.

[/html]
[html]

Alright. And no worries, that was hardly a wait :3 Also, I was assuming that she was in Lupus form? But I may have read wrong ^^

Sarcasm was a language that both adults spoke fluently. Naniko wanted to give the red-eyed male a shove or something in response to his words, but she also didn't want to appear too unprofessional. "I see. I'll keep that in mind."She was strict about some things in the pack, but other things she was more lax about. She didn't mind what her members did for the most part as long as they weren't bringing war to her doors.

She was more interested in seeing how the girl reacted to her question than in the answer itself; as long as there weren't any canines coming after her that wanted to harm her or Anathema then she would be satisfied. Naniko nodded when the youngster answered. "As you may have guessed, I am the leader of this pack, the Angela. Naniko D'Angelo. We live in a system of caves below the surface of the mountain...though canines may choose to live above ground if they wish."

She motioned for both of them to continue to follow her into the packlands. Naniko wasn't one to send away a potential pack member, especially one as small and unassuming as this one. Mai would make a good spy, if she chose that path within the pack. Naniko's sister Selene had done a fantastic job with that rank...but she had since passed on. "Ravesque has already let you in...let you see our secrets...so I suppose if I didn't allow you to join I'd have to kill you"

The alabaster wolf burst into laughter a few long seconds after her last words. "I'm joking. But you're welcomed to become one of our family. Do you have any skills that might help me to decide where to place you once you've been here for a while and have proven that you aren't going to run off?" She asked, glancing back to their potential new pack member. "We also have a ceremony for those who wish to join called the rite of Agares...a blood sharing ceremony. I would make a cut on your paw and one on my hand and join them together to make you an official part of our family." She stopped when they reached one of the large cave entrances, looking at Mai curiously.

<style>
.AnaFK-07 b {font-family:verdana; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 0px 0px 2px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.AnaFK-07 {background-color:#abb092; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:496px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... s/rawr.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:294px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .AnaFK-07-border {width:498px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}</style>[/html]
[html]

And poof! Ravesque is gone; welcome to Anathema~

He was useless as he listened to the conversation between the two women, watching one and then the other and then the first once more with his crimson gaze. Naniko gave a proper introduction, for both herself and the pack, before motioning for the two to follow her. As he would have gone back to the caves anyways, he did so without hesitation; there was no reason to break away simply to go in the same direction, after all. Naniko's joke about death caused the hulking ex-enforcer to release a deep chuckle as well — he would certainly have no qualms about killing the girl were Naniko so inclined for it to happen. Much as he had bent at the will of the Tribunal, so too did he bend under her desires within the cave family.

The white Queen asked of skills and explained their rite; the rite was something he found intriguing, as he had not been forced to undertake it himself. Scorpius' birth had been his rite of Agares. It was so much easier to breed his way into Anathema, rather than undergo the strange blood-sharing ceremony. As they reached the cavernous entrance, he turned to glance at the newcomer. "I'm sure you'll find yourself an asset to her family." Words of confidence in the girl's abilities, so rare to hear from the dark man. He took a step into the entrance, glancing briefly at Naniko. "I have things I have to do." It wasn't really a 'farewell', though he descended into darkness promptly after it was spoken.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(Thank you!)

Mai almost stopped walking at the shock of the comment. Kill her? Her eyes widened and her mouth was suddenly too dry. Belly swirling uneasily, she just stared at the two -quite shocked- for a moment before they both let out a laugh. She, too gave a relieved chuckle as her breath and heartbeat slowed down an increment at a time. Following behind once again, Mai thought of what else the wolf had asked her. She was still young, and not very confident in the skills she did have. The coyote couldn’t think of something she was particularly good at, but she was fairly proficient in quite a few things. “Well, I’m relatively small. So my Mammi- I mean, my grandmother, she had me do all sorts of jobs in places she couldn’t fit into.”

She chuckled softly at the memory of her crawling through a very, very tiny den, searching for the small talisman her grandmother had dropped into it. Sometimes she had wondered with increasing speculation that the older coyote was dropping things just to put her granddaughter in those hilarious situations. “I’m also pretty fast, there was only one other in my area who could beat me in a race.” Mai pondered for a second, trying to think of anything else she could do well. Then, it came to her, it was so obvious. “I was also a scribe for my grandmother while she was alive. She taught me to write and how to organize the thoughts into books. I don’t know if that’ll be any help to the clan, though.”

As they reached the beginning of the cave system, Ravesque bid his farewell, and Mai gave a quick nod of her head to him in return. She was starting to believe that this could really be her home. Before- and even after- entering the territory, she hadn’t really imagined that they would let her in their family. The rite that the pristine wolf had talked about seemed interesting. She had never experienced anything like that before in her life and thought it would be a good - if not educational- one. In the back of her mind, the coyote wondered why she had passed the obviously coyote-led clan a few miles back without a second thought and then, upon finding this one, it had automatically felt like home. Maybe it was fate; that’s always what her Mammi had always said. You made your life decisions but when it was something really important, sometimes fate pushed you in the right direction. Mai really hoped this was her meant-to-be place.

[/html]
[html]

Welcome :3 We can continue this thread if you'd like, with Nani showing her to a den.There's a map on the AT website of the cave system, and you can pick out an open den off of there and PM me which you'd like :] Slight powerplay in that Naniko takes her paw to make that cut. Let me know if that's not alright and I'll edit it out ^^ You may post freely now!

She nodded to Ravesque as he left. He'd given his approval of the girl, and Naniko didn't see any reason not to allow her to join. She was a coyote and the pack had experienced some trouble with the Inferni coyote clan, but she would not discriminate against the younger female for the actions of others of her species. With her small size, Mai would be an asset to the pack. "You would be able to fit through some areas in our cave system that are not accessible to me or others yet.That would actually be really useful."

The fact that Mai was educated in writing and letters would help her as well. "You seem very knowledgeable for one so young; I find your initiative very refreshing. I feel you would be an asset to the pack. I'll put you at our starting rank, Zepar, until you prove that you'll be sticking around for a while." She reached for her ceremonial dagger, pulling it from its sheath and kneeling down. She cut across her own hand quickly, not making any outward expression of pain. Naniko then took Mai's front paw in her hand, making a quick slice across the paw-pad and holding it against her own.

"Welcome to the family, Mai." She said. She would clean her dagger later. She stood back up, releasing her new packmate's paw. "I can show you to a den, if you'd wish. The cave system is just inside this entrance. You know myself and Ravesque now...if anyone questions you, tell them to speak to me. We don't have many coyote members, but you are as much a member of this pack as any of them." The leader said.

<style>
[html]

(Okay, back~ Tongue)

It was cool as they walked further away from the sun, and the coyote shook herself happily, releasing some of the heat trapped in her fur. When they stopped, Mai looked curiously up at her leader. Naniko withdrew a blade from its sheath and making a cut into her hand before reaching for the lupus’s paw. Letting the older woman take her limb, Mai flinched slightly as the slice was made across her fore paw. It didn’t hurt exactly, just stung in a thumping pattern in time with her heartbeat. A warm pride grew in her chest as her paw was pressed against the palm of the other’s hand. A little chill went through her as their appendages parted; she had never experienced anything like the small rite, and knew it was only the beginning of what she would learn about this pack.

The coyote couldn’t help but feel a bit lost as they made their way into the cave system. There was a clear cut path towards anywhere she’d like to go, but she didn’t know the layout. She smelled some sort of food to her right and knew that must be where the kitchen was. As a wolf came out stretching from the pathway in front of her, Mai figured the dens must be in that area. She lifted her muzzle, nose in the air. The scents were too jumbled, overlapping each other as the air passed over her and confusing her senses. Being new, and not overly confident, Mai wanted to stick close to Naniko. “Could you show me to a den, please. I don’t want to get lost.” Then, realizing that it might not be convenient for the pack leader, she bowed her head, “Unless, of course, it would be a burden. I’m sure I could manage on my own if you needed me to.” Mai restlessly kneaded her paws into the dusty ground beneath them, wondering how long her anxieties about being polite would plague her.
[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the delay <3

The lands were familiar to Naniko and she led the way into the twisting system of tunnels. She hoped that the girl would explore a bit and get to know where everything was. Her nose would be a valuable tool to her in the days to come; if she would take a whiff down one tunnel or another she would likely be able to figure her way around pretty quickly. At least, that's what Naniko hoped. She didn't want to see the girl lost off in some far reach of the tunnels.

"I don't mind at all. I'll head back to my own den afterward...probably take a nice nap or something." She yawned. The white queen led the way down the hallway that housed most of the pack's dens. "Mine's at the start of this hall, nearer to the entrance. You can pick any of these that are unoccupied. I have been giving my furs away recently, since I acquired an old bed...I have a few left, if you'd like some. A few deer pelts and plenty of rabbit ones"

<style>