Gunpowder/Fireworks
This be what you're referring to, I think! The Ming Dynasty, however, was from 1368 - 1844 according to here. :3
Yes Sie, that be it. I knew I have heard of it before and wasn't crazy. I'm just really bad with names.
Okay, so! I reposted this to the rest of the administration, and basically -- the restrictions on firearms and guns is 75% due to potentials for abuse, and only 25% due to realism. Realistically? Yes -- Luperci could, in all likelihood, eventually figure out guns and the like.

However, as stated, realism isn't the primary reason that we did restrict heavy types of ordnance -- it's the potential for abuse as well, and in the interest of general fairness, we don't feel it'd be good to make exceptions, even if they are non-lethal and rudimentary.

But -- as I said, too -- there are alternatives that you could use, even. Molotov cocktails with a certain amount of a chemical or natural additive for colored smoke, arrows tipped with flame, etc. Hope that helps! :3 Any further questions, please have at!