Gunpowder/Fireworks
I have been brainstorming a character to join this site for the last two weeks, and one of the ideas I had with him involved his ability to manufacture gunpowder and fireworks. I have been conducting research on this topic to determine if it would be possible to do so in the Souls Universe. My conclusion was that it is possible, albiet difficult, but I would like to gain permission from those on top before going ahead with this idea.
There has been multiple talks on this before. The 'SA can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they labeled this stuff in the category of explosives and disallowed in the 'Souls universe. At least I remember someone asking about fireworks before. I'm trying ot find the thread and see what was said about it.
From what I understand it would be possible, because gunpowder is made up from salt, charcoal, and sulfur, all of which occur naturally. However if the SA deemed it unallowed I will back down.
There It says right there gun powder isn't allowed.
Thanks, I'm sorry sorry for causing trouble. I just wasn't sure.
It's fine hun. I just remember it being talked about before. It took me some digging to find the post though.
It's no problem to ask a question! I am glad to see that you did. Wink

And Sylvey is right, it is indeed in the restricted zone of weapons. 'Souls has about a medieval-level of technology, but even that's a stretch. I think a few characters have swords, but as far as I know, there aren't any who make them. A few characters also have bows and arrows too.
Well to be fair, the guide doesn't explicitly prohibit gunpowder. Just firearms and explosives. ; cartridge and muzzle loading both i'd assume as gunpowder would then make muzzle loaders viable. What do the call those short fat muskets that you can shove anything down and were popular with pirates? (/end ramble returns to point).

And it sounds to me from the starting post and title that Whisper is more looking at 9th century (medieval is 5th-15th century) level of usage of said gunpowder and fireworks. Honestly I think it is a feasible and interesting idea so long as it used correctly and not abused. So I don't see that gunpowder is ruled out so long as it's used recreational and not for attack. But I am not SA so it is nothing more than opinion.

If the guide did actually mention gunpowder specifically...I over looked it and I am sorries :x
I think it falls under the "anything that might explode" category :o Though it's true that it would be used for recreational use.

Quote:Heavy ordinance -- artillery, rocket launchers, grenades, mines, and anything else that might explode -- is not allowed.
QUOTE (Anann Kelevra @ Jul 6 2011, 04:56 PM)
Well to be fair, the guide doesn't explicitly prohibit gunpowder. Just firearms and explosives. [/quote]
Yea... but I preferred to see the loophole *cough* Now whether it exists or not, well...
since molotov cocktails explode/catch aflame are they prohibited as well?
I think it should be fine, but perhaps the fireworks would be nothing like what we have now? Just sparklers or like.. cherry bombs? Since i know a loooot of the stuff would be difficult or next to impossible to find? What about that? I mean, honestly, I think if it's small and not a lethal KABOOMY thing.. it could be allowed?
It's bound to happen along the evolutionary process anyway. Luperci can already make fires proficiently, and it would be that perhaps a Chinese luperci came over and reintroduced them, since there are like to be leftover fireworks abounding in China since all of human civilization is abandoned, not destroyed. The same would probably go for the rare factory in Nova Scotia--it would only be that one unlucky luperci who lights one up and explodes the place >_>
Nothing that explodes is allowed here, as Tammi stated above. Smile
And J, moltov cocktails don't "explode" in the way that a gunpowder bomb might. They more or less shatter and spread the flame around. Smile
To go along with the fireworks thing, it takes chemicals to get certain effects; they wouldn't technically be fireworks even if they were allowed to be used, they'd just be...loud, unusual exploding things.
Strelien and Anann have both summed up what I was going for when I made the initial post. Gunpowder can be made easily, but it would not be as explosive as our more potent modernly proccessed version, falling more along the lines of cherrybombs. Ingredients to find and produce the coloriug in fireworks would be extremely rare, causing them to be used sparingly. Fireworks are also not designed for battle, with their main usage being recreational purposes. I mean sure they could scare somebody but other then that its their beauty that makes them usefull. I'm not trying to issagree with anybody, I'm just pointig out the facts.
Whisper, please, please don't be afraid to disagree. Big Grin Calm disagreement and debate is one thing and perfectly acceptable, as long as everyone remains nice about it.

Also, we admins are certainly not experts, either -- when we write our roleplaying guides and the like, we do our absolute best to adhere to realism and do research on Google and Wikipedia and wherever else there is information to be found, but I certainly don't know a ton about fireworks, explosives, etc., and the information I do know has been derived from the internet rather than with experience in most cases. XD

Personally, I think that minor, non-lethal things (like cherry bombs, crappy fireworks, smoke bombs [I actually read on the Molotov page that blood and other things were sometimes used with the fluids in the bottles for smoke effects]) would be fine. The key point being they're a) non-lethal and b) rudimentary and not advanced.

The guide was written primarily with combat and warfare in mind -- if one pack/group/individual has a gun, they're already ridiculously advantaged over everyone else. Most non-firearm weapons don't come anywhere near firearms, let alone big, explosive weapons (imagine a Luperci pack with a Howitzer -- they'd decimate everyone else o_o).

But -- I am only one voice, so I'll re-post this topic and some key points to the rest of the 'SA for discussion -- and eventually, we may or may not revisit the Guide page. ^_^ <3
QUOTE (Ralla @ Jul 6 2011, 05:33 PM)
It's bound to happen along the evolutionary process anyway. Luperci can already make fires proficiently, and it would be that perhaps a Chinese luperci came over and reintroduced them, since there are like to be leftover fireworks abounding in China since all of human civilization is abandoned, not destroyed. The same would probably go for the rare factory in Nova Scotia--it would only be that one unlucky luperci who lights one up and explodes the place >_> [/quote]
IMO since luperci have learned to read they could easily make leaps and bounds on the rates that humans did, at least knowledge wise. A few decent books on basic agriculture and herding could do a lot for a pack. I am honestly very curious as to what Amish communities would be like in the soulsverse O.O alias, I will never know.

Technologically eh, that's a tough gap to bridge.

Finding instructive literature on fireworks might not be easy, but I'm sure it could be done. It would be putting theory into practice without blowing yourself up that would be the true challenge.
Actually fireworks were used for warfare. I want to say it was called a nest of bees.