Flaming Weapons
O.k., I was csidering aking a character on Souls and was recently inspired by George R.R. Martins Game of Throne series. Particularly the mention of a warrior monk known for entering battle after pouring a flammable liquid over his sword that allowed it to catch fire. Is there any such liquids, even gasoline, that could be used in Souls to recreate this? I acknowledge it woud probably damage the weapon in question after continued use and the time it remianed on fire would be relatively short, but I do believe its possible, I just cant think of anything to use other then gasoline. Any suggestions?
Tree saps or more tars made from them could probably work. Though actually getting them lit and burning would be difficult. Given that a flaming blade really provides little advantage it isn't very practical given the time and effort finding a suitable substance would and metal conducts heat too, so you'd need some method to keep the hilt from getting too hot to hold.

My 2 cents, though I'm not sure it'd be allowed or not, though I don't think it goes against any of the rules on weapons.
Thoros of Myr!

I don't have much technical stuff to add, but as was pointed out, it wouldn't provide much of an advantage other than scare the living daylights out of people. I think it would be allowed as it's practically a sharp torch. I'm also not sure but you should probably research how long it takes these substances to burn, just to see if it'd be short-lived or not. ^^ You already addressed that, sorry. xD Makes my post more meaningless.

I probably contributed nothing, just wanted to squeal at that book series a bit. xD
Sterno... but it would have to be thickened or something.. its the camping/food warming gel in those fans you light up..
If anything, definitely think more natural when it comes to these things - any human-made materials were more than likely kept in metal containers or a type of container that wouldn't have lasted twenty years. That or the materials themselves would have decayed.

This is more a realism question than anything else, I feel. I think about the general mechanics of it - even with flint, the canine would need to strike a spark that would light the sap on fire to begin with. If they're holding the sword or weapon, that would be nearly impossible to do without them harming themselves, and it'd be tricky to get the sap to stay lit for any period of time. Also, if lit, the burning sap would more than likely drip down the weapon and harm the user.

This idea is a bit too unrealistic for 'Souls due to the current level of technology and the resources available, but if you have alternatives or other ideas, then definitely ask =3
Ralla has a fire staff >_> It's basically just a ceremonial, glorified flaming torch (like the ones they dance with in Hawaii or India) but it's a flaming-something :X

But she used cloth and hand-made oils/tallow: these things would not stick very well to metal or a blade, especially when hot >_>
Highly flammable natural substance = animal fat.
Naniko- I have given this some thought and I have come to concur wit your conclusion, in terms of a reguar sword. It would be much more realistic if the sword was wooden, and my character could carve new ones rather then going t the trouble of finding a smith cpable of creating new ones. In terms of flames he could always wear a glove and wrap his arm in some sort of fire resistant material to prevent burning. Perhaps he cud find some in an old fire station? I'm just playing around with theories however so I may drp the idea altogether. Don't be surprised if you hear from me again.

Edit- Created a new thread rather then replying to the one this respose was meant for. >( Sorry
Merged the thread for you. Easily fixed. C:

Another option besides animal fat is Pitch.
I was just trying to merge it and got an error! Lol Smile

If the character covered up his arm and was wearing a thick glove, that would definitely help! And Kiri mentioned animal fat, which could work as well ^^ I had discussed this with another admin before replying previously, but I do think that if your character took those precautions and used animal fat, perhaps, that it might work for a short period of time =O What do you other admins think?
I'm not against it as long as you do the proper research to ensure as much realism as is plausible, and you seem willing to do that, so all good.

I'm not entirely sure how effective a wooden sword would be since polished or otherwise treated wood tends not to ignite easily, but when it does, like all wood, it wouldn't last very long. A metal blade doused in animal flame could work, but there is also the issue of igniting it without matches or any other instantaneous means of starting a fire. It might be workable to have a specific area doused in fat at the bottom of a rock, to run the blade across the rock to create sparks to ignite the fat, and then to add additional fat to the blade before slicing the blade through the fire to pick it up. But that seems like a hell of a lot of trouble for something that is, essentially, for show.