Home or not home?
[html]
300+
Lets get some stuffs going c:

There was a river, behind a derelict garden. It was still running, oh certainly, but it was muffled and littered with the remains of humanity. Somehow there were still bits and pieces left, and there were dams upriver, from beaver and debris. Anatoliy had walked the length of it, or so at least past the second dam.. It had been the better part of a couple of hours for him to break the first dam, which meant he had waded in cold river water, in the pond that had formed from the dam. It was not terribly deep, though it came up to his waist. Clearly this was an old dam as it broke apart terribly easily as he pulled and pushed sticks and logs away. There was as satisfying rush as the first dam broke and the water rushed over the destroyed log piles. The branches and sticks would float down on the rush, but the Russo would check later if it had done anything to the flow further downstream.

The next dam was big, breaking the flow of water into a much bigger pond, which made the Russian grimace. The water was not going to be a pleasant depth. And he could see the mound from the beaver in the middle of the water. It was coated in still shiny mud, so the inhabits had probably entered their little home of sticks. That would be difficult to get into. But if he broke the den, they may come out and defend themselves, or not. Either way, there would be beaver to eat that night, if he could only catch one out of its den. But if they were locked tight away, he could just break the dam and start picking apart the den, stick by stick till the buggers emerged. The water flow was still pretty good, considering the size of it downstream by the fort, but still, more water couldn't hurt. Maybe fish could even be introduced.

The Russo climbed atop the dam, careful where he stepped. He knew the logs were compounding beneath him as he heard the clicks and cracks. He was a heavy guy, and it didn't help matters. How was he going to break this big thing and get the beavers in the lodge?

<style>
.anatoliy-txt {font-family: garamond, georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:1px; margin:0px 25px auto; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:5px auto; width:500px; text-align:justify;}
.anatoliy-txt .inner {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/0GoXw.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border: 0px solid #000; padding 0px 0px 10px 0px; }
.anatoliy-txt .ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; width:500px;}
.anatoliy-txt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 0px;}
.anatoliy-txt b {letter-spacing:1px; letter-spacing:-.05em;text-shadow:#fff 0px 0px 1px;font-family:verdana, garamond, serif; font-size:12px;}
.anatoliy-txt .line {width:150px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Yoink. Gunnar's voice is super raspy, btw. / +337

Gunnar was a loud fighter, constantly mocking his opponent in real battle and commenting during spars. However, when he was training alone, it was the complete opposite. He was completely silent, aside from the sounds of wood against wood, crack, snap, crack, snap.

That was why he preferred the forest for training. However, since there were no forests inside the walls of the city (Or well, the soon-to-be walls. As far as he could tell, they were still being worked on), Gunnar had decided to train in an empty area of the city. The racetracks weren't in use at that point, so he'd grabbed an old walking stick from his new room (one he'd picked up on the way into the city for the first time) and headed there for some well needed training.

He swung and slashed until his legs wouldn't take another jerk and when the pain became a touch too much, he called it a day. Worn out from a few hours of training and still not ready to go inside, he made use of the walking stick and headed to the gardens (somewhat plain so far, but sure to be beautiful someday) for a stroll to clear his mind.

It was the scent of another pack member that had lured him away from the main gardens, curious to meet a brother in arms. As he came upon the creek, he spotted the earth-colored man wandering along an old dam. Gunnar stopped at the edge of the water, far enough away to hide himself from fish (in case the man was fishing) and watched a moment, cringing at the sound the dam made in protest to the male's weight.

What are you doing? Gunnar called quietly, keeping his voice even, if a bit bemused. If you go any further, you'll break the dam and fall in. They're not meant to carry our weight, y'know.

He'd come across a dam once as a pup, an adventure away from his mother back when they were rogues.

<style type="text/css">
.gunny b {font-weight:bold; color:#77a254; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #2a4316; }
.gunny p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.gunny {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#475638; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/rSUN3.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 220px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7c8873; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.gunny p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.gunny p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
300+
oh hello, duly noted c:

The dam groaned beneath him, and the Russo growled at it. It was so much sturdier than he thought it was. His weight was shifting every couple of paces, and then it groaned even louder. He heard a voice, strangely raspy call out to him. It wasn't loud but it wasn't exactly soft. He turned his torso to see the stranger. He was never there at the founding and his face and smell were completely foreign. A new face? Strange. As he moved to turn, the wood shifted roughly between his legs, twigs and sticks bursting out down the slight incline into the slowly flowing river. "Vhoa!" he cried out as he adjusted, stepping over the gap to the side closest to the strange.

Debris was slowly breaking from the dam, and the Russo smiled as he stepped back to solid ground. "Zhat is zhe goal." He pointed at the lodge in the middle of the slowly, terribly slowly, draining pond. "Zhose beavers are problem. Zhe river goes to zhe fort and zhe vater is better to use zhere." Was that a flickering ripple on the surface of the water or was that just him. "You are new, yes? You vere not zhere vhen ve all arrived."

The ground beneath him was moist, but crunchy, as though frost had been freezing the mud at night. "I am Anatoliy." There was nothing else he could say about that. He was who he was. "You are?" he inquired, looking at the strange male.

<style>
.anatoliy-txt {font-family: garamond, georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:1px; margin:0px 25px auto; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:5px auto; width:500px; text-align:justify;}
.anatoliy-txt .inner {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/0GoXw.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border: 0px solid #000; padding 0px 0px 10px 0px; }
.anatoliy-txt .ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; width:500px;}
.anatoliy-txt b {letter-spacing:1px; letter-spacing:-.05em;text-shadow:#fff 0px 0px 1px;font-family:verdana, garamond, serif; font-size:12px;}
.anatoliy-txt .line {width:150px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Gunnar is Beaver Smart. / +178

Gunnar winced as the chestnut male had to make haste off of the dam. So he was trying to break the dam? Walking on it wasn't a good way to go about doing so. Valinta had taught Gunnar plenty about destroying stuff. Yes. Yes she had.

Gunnar nodded respectfully. So this was a founding member. Anatoliy. He'd heard the name once; this was a... ver... Vertia. Yeah, that's it. Well met. Yeah, I'm new. I'm Gunnar. Still settling in. He smiled that charming crooked smile and flicked his tail.

Right, well... walking on it isn't the safest way to go about ruining it. I know a few things that might work for us. He stated calmly, leaning on his walking stick and eyeing the dam. If we can chase the beavers out first, by the way... we can use them for fur and meat. Less waste, that way. They won't relocate on their own. My Ma's old pack tried to get a group of them to relocate and they just came back the next year and started rebuilding.

<style type="text/css">
.gunny b {font-weight:bold; color:#77a254; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #2a4316; }
.gunny {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#475638; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/rSUN3.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 220px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7c8873; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
000+
Katie told me that the whole beaver thing makes her laugh. it's so lolsy inapropro

The Russo shrugged at the fact. "Yes I know. In zhe old country, ve had beavers too. And zhe vere caught as fast as can be. It has been long time since I had beaver meat." He eyed the younger man, taking in the appearance of him. The male was a mixture of dog, that was obvious. Wolves never had floppy ears, that much was true. But his coloration was dark, like a wolf as well. Regardless, the Russo had little right to talk, when he was part coyote and wolf, with those drops of dog blood somewhere in the mix.

Sighing, the big male turned to face the lodge in the pond, wondering if the beavers would emerge. "I vas thinking zhat i could get zhe pond draining, zhen be vaiting for zhe beavers to come out of zhere." But he shook his head at the thought. "But I don't know how i am managing zhis. Zhe dam needs to go eizher vay." Anatoliy gave a rough low laugh, wondering how silly he ought to have looked walking along the top of the beaver dam. "If you are having ideas how to be helping, please let me know. I never vent vith zhe people to get zhe beavers, so all I know is some second hand informations."

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Dam, that's some fine beaver lols. xD / +140

Good idea but wrong method. He grinned, eyes flicking from him to the dam again. We should focus on chasing them out first. If any get caught in the dam when it breaks, we'll be wasting meat. A wasting food was not something Gunnar had ever been willing to do. He took a step over towards the water and bent over carefully, checking out the dam.

They usually have underwater entrances to it. Our best bet would be to chase them out by opening up the dam on top and smoking them out. Burning the dam wouldn't be good; the material could be reused for something, though he wasn't sure what. I don't know what we could use to do that, though, without lighting the dam ablaze.

He turned back and quirked a brow at the older man. Any ideas?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
000+
xD

The Russo furrowed his brows at the stranger, wondering if he actually knew anything about beavers. Extending a long brown arm, the Russian wolf pointed at the mound of sticks in the middle of the pond. The slick, wet mud he saw earlier was starting to get more matte, much duller. That meant the mud was drying, but it was not yet frozen. "Zhe beavers are in zhere. Zhe von't come out because zhey know ve're here." But smoking them out would be a good idea, once the water was drained and they could actually make sure there was only one entrance, rather than two.

But Gunner's idea had very good merit, to smoke them out. It was smart and they would be able to catch beavers, no matter how fast they were. But he pondered the question. How to smoke them out? "Vell, if we get a small fire going, ve could add pine needles; zhat alvays smokes somezhing fierce. But ve'd need to make sure zhat ve can catch zhem. And zhe vater needs to be gone vhile ve do it. Zhey're svimmers and vading zhrough vater is not easy."

The Russo pointed at the dam now, trying to explain his train of thought. As much as he was sure that his idea was fairly good, the darker male seemed to know quite a lot on the subject as well. Anatoliy did not hunt beaver, ever; he had only ever tasted the animal's flesh. "If ve drain zhe dam, zheir holes vill be exposed and ve can smoke zhem out, and catch zhem easier vizhout zhe vater."

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Poodles ARE useful! :o / +427

Gunnar hummed in thought. This guy had brought up a valid point; beavers were fast swimmers. Then again, Gunnar was built for the water; that thick curly coat of his was water resistant and kept him warm in colder water. He'd figured this out a long time ago, which was part of the reason why he loved the water. If Anatoliy could chase the bastards out one by one, Gunnar could probably catch them as they exited the dam. He'd just need to be ready. The jump wasn't too far. He could manage it in his secui form for sure.

We don't really have any way of draining the water before nightfall, though. We might as well just deal without the luxury of it for now, right? Gunnar suggested, eyeing the dam over again. I can swim rather well, though, so if you can chase them out one at a time, I could retreive them from the water pretty easily.

[side note: Poodles were bred as Water Retreivers originally. Gunnar is one half Standard Poodle. ;D]

Get a fire goin', smoke 'em out a little at a time, I'll jump in and catch what I can and whatever ones we miss, we'll catch when they try to rebuild. Sound like a fair plan to you?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]