I Remember That Laugh
[html]

<33

Entire seasons had come and passed. Tala was filled to the tips of her ears with remorse, regret and woe for the choices she had made in the past. She could not take them back, the past was forever able to haunt her weak mind. The lives of two children were on her shoulders. Lives lost due to a terrible choice. Her old home was gone, the remains of the pack that had once thrived was burned to the ground by war. There was nothing but charred remains and broken souls. She had been searching for one wolf, a wise old woman who claimed relation to her. She wanted her last breathing family to meet her children. They had never made it that far, her womb had not been strong enough. The last beating heart of her relation had passed away. It was all in vain. Even today, her dreams were plagued by the memory. Her family was gone entirely. Tala had not just lost her parents now, she had lost her children and the only tie to the land she was birthed in. Now, even these lands rejected her. The pack she had once helped lead was gone. The scent wasn't recognizable. Her heart was empty. These lands were quiet and the eve of Winter bit her skin like ice.

The wind brought a familiar scent to her nostrils. The ground was frosted below her feet as the Luperci stood on her two hind legs. Arms wrapped around her as a black, worn cardigan was cocooned around her torso. It was not much, but it was all the tailless fae had. Tala was having a wickedly horrible time accepting that she did not deserve punishment for her actions. The cold was justice. There was a friend not too far from here. A woman who she had once accepted into her home, puppies in tow. That had been so long ago..would she even remember? Her snow hair ruffled in the sub zero wind as Ta;a let a delicate, clawed hand rest upon the trunk of a tree. "Desdemona?" She whispered into the air. Nobody would hear her, but what would calling do?

The home she had created for herself, away from any pack, close to the resources she would need was a fair walk from here. Tala knew that her old friend deserved an apology. Tala had left her when her pups were still frail. She had promised help and failed her. An apology was not adequate. It was something, and Tala's heart demanded she try.

<style type="text/css">
.wintertable2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#262626; letter-spacing:1px; }
.wintertable2 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.wintertable2 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.wintertable2 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#E4E4E4; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/m7wc61.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 232px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#636363; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count→400+ :: Epic!!!!

It was by sheer chance... or perhaps fate?... that the tundra woman was wandering the outskirts of d'Arte near the very spot where the lost soul roamed. The month was now November and it seemed with the shifting of the calendar a dramatic weather change followed, the air suddenly becoming ruthlessly icy over night with a biting wind that threatened to cut into even Orin's chill proof fur. She was a creature made for the sleet and snow, but her winter coat had not all filled in yet, and the surprising shift in temperature was enough to shock her into donning the cloak she had salvaged from the Lunenburg costume shop on her last trip to Cour des Miracles.

She and Shawchert had taken to regular patrol shifts, though her part in it was far more casual than the man's. He was out and about somewhere, and her growing daughters were becoming more independent by the day and nowhere to be seen, so Orin slipped the new fur-lined cloak around her shoulders and descended her hut in the Treetop Terrace. She was roaming the forest, surprised at just how unforgiving the flurries were, when she thought she heard a sound just barely whispering above the wind.

“No... could it be?” she whispered to herself, a hand coming up to cover her mouth in surprise. The voice... she was sure she was hearing things, but it sounded so real. It was just one tiny murmur and it was a name she never thought she would hear again, the combination sending a chill entirely different than that of the wind down her spine.

“H-hello?” She called out cautiously, wondering if she was speaking to ghostly memories or if there was actually someone there. There had to be, she must find out, there was no letting this one go! Quickly, she sprang into action, weaving through the trees toward the voice. The cloak billowed out behind her, but the graceful woman managed to keep the fabric from catching the brush.

“Who's there?” She asked the trees as she slowed and soon stopped, glancing around curiously for the person. Her heart started to race, and it certainly wasn't from from the exertion. She took a deep breath and forced her voice to steady, sounding strong on behalf of her pack. “My name is Orin Takekuro of Cercatori d'Arte. We are peaceful if you mean us no harm. Please show yourself...” Her voice died down and amber eyes narrowed. There, by that tree... was that a shadow? Someone was there... Orin waited, unwilling to walk blindly into a trap.

<style>
.orinsnowhappy {width:462px;border:1px solid black;margin:0 auto;outline:white;}
.osh-table {background-color:#dad5f3;letter-spacing:-.2px;border:2px solid #c1b2f5;font-size:11px;color:#3b4069;word-spacing:.3px;line-height:15px;width:458px;text-align:justify;background-image:url(http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/592/tableheaderr.png);background-position:top center;background-repeat:no-repeat;}
.osh-post {margin:275px 10px 10px 10px;padding:10px;}
.osh-table p {padding:2px 0px;margin:0px;text-indent:15px;}
.osh-table b {color:#1e2035;}
.osh-nametag {text-align:center;margin:0px;padding:0px;}
.osh-wordcount {font-weight:bold;font-size:13px;}
.osh-ooc {font-size:11px;font-style:italic;}
.osh-special {padding:5px;text-align:left;border-bottom:1px dotted black;margin-bottom:5px;}
.osh-copyright {font-size:9px;margin:0 auto;padding:0px;text-align:center;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

out of character text

The pelt of her back was pressed against the rough sandpaper bark of a tree. Her body accepted the brace to her chilled body as a crutch. Her feet were cold against the ground as she used her hands to occupy her brain. Fumbling with her limbs seemed better than simply standing, waiting for something that was not going to come. It was like asking the wind for answers. You may hope for it, even trick yourself into believing it. That did not mean it was beyond your own imagination. Tala had been alone in her travels for months. Silence had become her lonely companion. Silence was also her enemy, it taunted her with the memory of sher silence as she wept for life. Maybe talking to the wind was a good idea after all? It may keep her mind from the bitterness of insanity.

Tala let her eyes trace patterns in the pine needles above her head. They looked like small bristles, protecting the branch like spines. It was amazing, what nature had to present to eyes that just had the time to see. Ears twitched as a voice called out behind her. Her body flinched, collecting itself in a nervous stance as her hands immediately moved to smooth out the cloth she wore as protection. Her fur was setting in to her winter coat, so she was not overly cold. She welcomed the chill as she deserved it. The voice that questioned her was familiar, but the name that claimed it was foreign to her ears. A woman, named Orin Takekuro? She did not know her. At least, she did not know her as anything but her alias. How cruel of a disguise for someone looking for forgiveness.

Tala let her body shift away from the tree. There was a set of amber eyes glued to the ground as her hands clasped in front of her. She did not appear even remotely threatening. She was actually quite exposed. Her will was not there to put up a fight. As if it had ever been. "I'm sorry, I did not mean to bother you, Miss Takekuro. I was seeking someone I know, someone I owe an apology too." She glanced up at the other female. The body was bright, hardly highlighted against the pale background of the terrain. Tala's body was charcoal in colour, she stood out unless bathed in shadows of the trees. The winter was not suited for her body, but the fae would make due. She was not planning on sneaking anywhere, so why try?

"If she is here, could you give her a message for me?" It was a humble request.

<style type="text/css">
.wintertable2 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.wintertable2 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#E4E4E4; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/m7wc61.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 232px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#636363; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count→500+ :: Epic!!!!

Liquid honey eyes bulged the moment the ashen woman stepped into view. An audible gasp escaped her and both hands flew up to cover her mouth in that repetitive habit Orin had every time something shocked her. The sight of the woman brought a flood of memories to the forefront and Orin's eyes instantly grew misty with the thoughts. This woman here before her... this woman who looked so lost and alone... had been the very angel that had saved her from the horrors of the world. Tala had taken her from the darkness and given her light. It was thanks to this woman that Juliet and Titania were alive now, for she had found them just when Orin could not care for the sick infants any longer. She had taken the family in, gave them food and shelter and sanctuary, and demanded nothing in return.

And now her angel stood before her, broken and hurting.

“Tala!” She yelped as she hurried toward the woman. Her dainty fingers unclasped the hook on the cloak and in a flurry of pink fabric the thing was off of her shoulders and draped around Tala's (should the woman let her). The cloak was inviting; heavy, soft, and already warmed by Orin. She had seen just how the cold was affecting the woman and knew that her coat that had been bred to survive sub zero temperatures could keep her warm better than Tala's appeared to be doing for her. If she woman tried to refuse the garment Orin would insist.

The woman's words sank in then. I did not mean to bother you, Miss Takekuro. . . Tala didn't even know who she was... Of course she didn't, the face and the story she had offered the woman had all been a sham. Orin had lied to the one piece of goodness in this horrible world; Tala never deserved her lies. A pang of guilt speared her heart as she realized what she had done to the woman. Would Tala be able to forgive her? Was it right to expect her to?

“Tala, it's me,” she said, taking the woman by the shoulders and looking into her eyes. “I look a little different now but it's me, Desdemona. See?” True, Desdemona and this woman resembled each other so much that they could be sisters... only, they resembled each other because they were the same person. To prevent Tala from becoming suspicious of her she held out her arm, showing the deep pink scar on her forearm. Tala had helped her clean up that wound, and the fact that it didn't scar any worse than it did was thanks to the woman. “See? Remember this? You saved my life, Tala. You saved my daughters lives...” Her voice died out as she wrapped her arms around the woman, holding her tightly and giving her warmth.

“We've got to get you inside. Lets go someplace safe and warm so we can talk. Okay?”

<style>
.orinsnowhappy {width:462px;border:1px solid black;margin:0 auto;outline:white;}
.osh-table {background-color:#dad5f3;letter-spacing:-.2px;border:2px solid #c1b2f5;font-size:11px;color:#3b4069;word-spacing:.3px;line-height:15px;width:458px;text-align:justify;background-image:url(http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/592/tableheaderr.png);background-position:top center;background-repeat:no-repeat;}
.osh-special {padding:5px;text-align:left;border-bottom:1px dotted black;margin-bottom:5px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

out of character text

The soft amber of her eyes had audible ware. Her travels had been hard on her. The morals her parents had taught her had never strayed her before. Until now. She did not blame their teachings for this, she blamed her mistakes. Her wish had been to that the last beating heart of her surname to meet her children. Their birth far from here would protect them. The father did not deserve to be near them. He had been dangerous, cruel and sick beyond comprehension. It had been an awful idea. She could not take that back. It was clear on her face that part of Tala had been broken with those events. She had not been able to recover, the silence would not let her. Between the guilt and the inability to think clearly it was hopeless.

Her body flinched into a jump as her name was exclaimed into the air. Her eyes fluttered in confusion and her mouth showed obvious signs of confusion. The corners pinched tightly as her ears turned towards this Cercatori woman. She had spoken her name, but the face was only a ghost of a memory. The resemblance too Desdemona was uncanny, in the voice and size. The colours had her in a state of confusion. Was this woman related to her? Her eyes spoke questions of confusion and light startle. She was at a loss for words, her mouth lightly agape was a subtle sign.

She showed light concern when Orin took off her cloak and threw it around the tailless woman's shoulders instead. She couldn't quite place on her tongue what she was doing. Tala had been cold, but it wasn't every day somebody took off their own jacket to place it on an apparent stranger. Her hand reached up to clasp the fabric, beginning too ease it from her fur before her body froze. 'It's me.' was spoken, and that was when it clicked. Her voice was the same, and those eyes were the very ones she had learned to adore as a wonderful friend. Desdemona had been a shattered soul when Tala took her in. With a little kindness and some food, she had opened up like a blossom. Her children had been divine. Little angels who were simply unfortunate in their beginning days. Her voice was breathless. How could one person have two names, two appearances? "I'm sorry I don't quite understand." There was a soft smile on her features, the hope of this being who she claimed was like sunlight to her heart.

The scar presented was one in the same from her past. A wound she had helped clean, often while checking constantly on the puppies to check their warmth. Her hand gripped the cloak tighter and Tala looked down at the ground to think for a moment. "Desde-....Orin, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to leave you. Words cannot begin to tell you how badly I wish I could take some things back." It felt proper to call her by the name she had used on herself. It was not what she knew, but it seemed proper. "Can you forgive me? I know I do not deserve it." The request to get inside was responded with her body lightly leaning in that direction. She wanted to oblige, but should she?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count→400+ :: I was going to go on some more but I didn't want to PP too much without having you approve it first. Hope I gave you enough to reply to. If Tala joins her up into the treetop village you can PP them walking/arriving at/entering Orin's cottage.

Wait… Tala was apologizing to her?! The woman – the angel – that delivered her from evil, gave her and her infant daughters a safe haven thought she had something to apologize for? Orin revered the woman, loving and respecting her even though she didn’t know what had become of her. Sure, Tala disappeared, but Orin never blamed her for that, she only hoped that the woman had been safe wherever she’d gone.

“No, Tala, don’t apologize to me,” she said fervently, moving out of the embrace and taking the woman gently by the elbow that was beneath the cloak. Something had happened to her and now the tables were turned, and Orin owed it to her to take care of her when this harsh world had her dazed and torn. “If you owed it to me I’d accept it at once, but you don’t. It is I who should apologize to you.” She gently urged her forward, leading her through the trees until they came to a peculiar place, for twisting down one of the formidable trunks was a flight of stairs that appeared to hoist the traveler up into the treetops.

“This way. The trees will protect us from the wind. We’ll go to my cottage and warm you up, and then we’ll talk. Are you hungry?” If Tala looked up she would see the village among the canopy, an entire network of bridges and huts built among the centuries-old trees. It was a fascinating yet fairly undiscovered place, a true masterpiece built by Shawchert’s hand but hardly inhabited. They would have the privacy they needed for their looming intimate discussion.

As she took the first step and glanced to make sure Tala was willing to ascend into the trees, her gaze caught the empty forest behind them. Something was missing and Orin knew what, but how long had it been? Was something amiss or had more time passed than Orin realized? The puppies – little more than a dream in Tala’s belly – were nowhere to be found. Maybe Tala had returned to Phoenix Valley… no, it didn’t exist anymore. She could have gone back to the old lands but wouldn’t have found their former pack. Maybe that meant there were friends in Ichika caring for them? Another look to Tala’s face made her blood run cold. Somehow, Orin had a feeling that Tala’s pups weren’t in the protective care of a comrade.

<style>
</style>[/html]