Burning down bridges..
Halifax, Isk is just thinking, not really going to bring up the pack much to Hel here.. XD maybe just express she's looking to find herself a new place and pack..

IC

Iskata had still spent her time in the cottage she'd found in her old pack's lands, but now that they were no more she felt nothing but diappointment in the events that had happened. She needed a place to call home but every pack she turned to there was something that wasn't quite right, or someone in some places. She'd been sitting in one of the many parks on the outskirts of Helifax trying to figure out what she was going to do with herself when her mind had finally turned to the only thing left.

She was going to start a pack for herself.

She stood up for a moment as she began to contemplate what she would need and who she could turn to. She worried about her children but they had their own lives to lead. She remembered how her old packlife use to be all friends and they leaned on eachother and helped to teach the young what they'd need to know to understand the code of their pack... she wanted that again. She wanted someplace to belong, someplace where there were friends and family and yet even when things were going down there was always someone to turn to. She stared up at the sky as she studied the clouds moving across the sky. Smiling to herself she began to understand the ideas popping in her head. Those she knew outside pack life and who had disappeared with their pack disappearing.. there were still quite a few out there.. maybe they could do this..
[html]
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... bottom.jpg) no-repeat bottom; width: 450px; border: #666666 1px solid;">

Sure thing. Considering Hel is new, I'm thinking she'd just wait for the information.

Hel had said goodbye to Styx that morning. She'd embraced him tightly and left him the bow and a few of her shorter knifes. She did have a blade with her, but the knapsack held cloth, beads and small items of jewellery she had made. This time, diplomacy was key. While she held the persona of Nott, she did also play Hel, the merchant. She was a harmless shifter. She'd traded camouflage for garishly bright clothes today, a yellow cloak with rusty leaves sewn on her hood. She smelled heavily of her mate, an intoxicating smell and she was happy for it. Slowly, almost wearily, she started making her way back through the town. The woods offered shelter but she had to see. Soon, she and Styx would have to move, to start looking for others. For Connor.

Her steps were not hidden, but she wasn't doing it too loudly. Her knapsack rattled and shook and slowly Hel found herself drifting off, thinking of the differences. They did not live in towns. Why? Did they hate the humans that much? She would have loved to find a cottage for her and Styx, they weren't big on the outdoors, not when they sometimes found beds and cloth, good cloth she could use. And it was shelter, it was a house they could call home. Her resolve hardened. She would live in a house here no matter what. No matter what the others thought. Her nose twitched. Unfamiliar scent. A new shifter. Shifter? Her steps quickened and soon Hel turned a corner and saw the female. She had piercings and for one fleeting moment she thought of Styx again and a pang of emotion hit her. But she quickly stopped that train of thought. Not now. Hello? Hel tried not to startle the woman.

[/html]
The lady had been humming softly to herself as she'd been moving along, crossing the street that bordered the park to look about the buildings, the ideas flowing through her mind were almost enough to keep her thoughts from turning to the fact that their pack had just up and disappeared. She chuckled slightly as she hoped that it wasn't just a passing fancy, that she could somehow do this, somehow make everything work the way she had planned. She smiled to herself as she decided that she'd go find Deuce and ask her what she thought of the idea. She knew her friend was living in a pack of her own, but with all the heartache and pain the lady must have to put up with Iskata figured that she may be to the point where she was ready to just walk away from it all. She knew she would probably feel that way, living in the same pack as your past mate had to be hard.

She'd been peering into the window of an old building when she'd heard the voice call out, flicking her ears back she turned quickly, calling out, "Who"s there?!" before even seeing who was approaching. Almost instantly she calmed a bit as she realized it was another female. Though she was carrying items on her body Iskata didn't think that she had much to fear, the scent of the other was unlike anything she really knew from these lands.. They almost smelled like Firefly had, coming from the old world, the stale scent of the sea and a million strange wonders. "Oh, hello!" she called as she pushed herself away from the windowsill. She smiled a friendly smile as she moved a few steps towards the female before her. "I'm Iskata Sadira, who are you?" curiousity shown in her eyes as she wondered just where this new lass was from, her smile pure and innocent as she waited to see what was going on.
[html]
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... bottom.jpg) no-repeat bottom; width: 450px; border: #666666 1px solid;">

Ooo, she's shifted too =D

Hel had been wondering a lot about these lands, about how to try and understand them. They seemed so similar and yet so very different, spring, always renascent, gone from them, and summer coming in, clouds of white puff rolling across the sky. She looked up and found that the day remained overcast, perhaps a grim foretelling of her journey here. There were times still, on the ship, when she regretted bring Styx with her, because he was so fragile and lost, his sea sickness making him throw up daily. Her body bore it well and again it was a painful reminder of the kind of wolves they were; for where she was strong, able and savvy of the world, he was closeted, dependent and almost pup-like. Hel loved him dearly, but she had to wonder just how much of it was done for her sake and whether or not he would have to be taught to be more selfish.

The female's, Iskata's, greeting seemed polite enough that Hel decided to be nice back. While at first it would be a show, while she could gage the truthfulness of her words, Hel knew that eventually something would break in her and she would show true feelings. Whether they would be of like or dislike was something that would come in time. But for now, she was a merchant and her weapons were solely for protection. It was a lie she had rehearsed well enough. Hello. I am Hel, a merchant. My mate and I arrived on these shores only a couple of nights ago. Please don't be frightened of my appearance, I mean no harm. That much was true. She'd not harm one hair on Iskata as long as the female didn't try to harm Hel.

[/html]
OOC: Styx's RPer thought it was best for his thread before this one, don't know if Hel would have returned to the campsite between last night and today..

The caution in the womans voice made Iskata chuckle, she really wasn't weary of others unless instinct kicked in or she'd already run into them before, this lady before her's added words only made Iskata grin and shake her head. Looking back longingly in the window one more time she turned towards the lady and spoke up. "Not the first time I've seen weapons ma'am. Probably won't be the last." she tilted her head to the side and with an afterthought added, "Though normally it's only the male warriors we find lurking from time to time.." she had met one or two female warriors in her time and though they lived in the backwoods Iskata herself had been out in the world and seen a thing or two. Her smile was light as her eyes twinkled as she watched the interesting newcomer.

Finally giving up on her window and moving to stand closer to the lady she spoke softly as she rubbed a finger across one of the studs in her ear. "We seem to be getting a lot of newcomers around here.. I met another in the woods not far from here..." she realized now that she recognized the scent of the other woman as she came within range. "I beliebe it was your mate, Styx?" she gave an apologetic smile and continued. "He's a kind soul, though I think I may have come off strong to begin.. The scent of the fire.. it was nearly too much." she shook her head and sighed. "I use to live across the mountains from here but a fire drove the packs there far from their homes.. and I was afraid the blaze had started up again." she felt stupid speaking of what had happened, but she didn't know if the lady had seen her mate since the silver and gold lady had.
[html]

It's up to you. I'll reply as if she knows who Iskata is and then the Isk/Styx thread happened before. She would have returned to camp, yes. EDIT: If Iskata tells Styx about the fire, Hel will ask anyway, because she needs to hear it first hand if possible. If you don't want to go through that again, Iskata could just focus on the part about packs. Whichever you prefer =)

A nagging feeling in Hel's mind. Iskata, Iskata, where... Oh. Yes. Styx had mentioned it. The night before. Hel saw this lapse in her memory as a testimony to the lack of sleep. She still felt time zone issues and her body required sleep it could not get. All of this, this weariness, could make her lose her cool. She nearly had, with that non-shifter female. She needed to stay cool, she had to remain the calm detached Monster of Niflheim, dealer in death and eternal misery. That frame of mind calmed her, as did Iskata's next words. At least she did not fear the weapons. In Europe, it can be dangerous to go unarmed. It is merely a precaution. As I said, I am a merchant. I trade, I do not fight. Now this, of course, was a lie, but no need to tell everyone of her plan. That would defeat the purpose. Loki would have her head for blowing covers.

You met my mate, Styx. He told me of your strange reaction to our fire, despite his precautions. He is good at keeping things under control. She tried to keep the same friendly tone but hearing about the fire, about packs, got her attention completely. So there was something afoot here. And Iskata seemed to know something about it. Hel had to find out. She quickly twisted the knapsack to her front and rummaged around quickly, her fingers closing in on a necklace she had done not long ago. It was scented wood, with a shifted wolf's paw as the medallion and beads running left and right of it, a simple but beautiful thing. She walked towards Iskata, smiling, and said,
Merchants trade. In Europe. I offer you this, in exchange for your story. What fire? And what packs? Hel had interest and curiosity in her eyes. A slightly fake reaction, but she did need to find out something. Which, inevitably, she would share with Styx. So she pricked her ears and listened intently.

[/html]
Iskata nodded in agreement when the lady mentioned that Styx had informed her of their meeting, her announcement of her interest in trade and if Iskata was guessing right by the looks it made Iskata watch her for more than a moment. She wasn't for sure if having someone who could bring more powerful weapons than tooth and nails to a battle was the type of person these lands needed, tilting her head to the side she asked with a hint of worry, "I'd hope there were some limits on your trades there.. There's many that would use your trades for the bad. Let's hope you don't peddle in too many of the manmade weapons.." She fingered the scars around her wrists from the fight so long ago with Ahren as she watched the lady. Knowing that if presented to the wrong folks that Hel's trade wares would be an dangerous weapon(already they were dangerous weapons if she sold items like those she protected herself with), something that wasn't needed in these lands with the corrupt indiviuals roaming about.

Hel's words changed to the topic of Iskata's story as she brought forth a lovely necklace. Suddenly Iskata began to doubt that the lady's wares were more than lovely trinkets and useable items of interest, atleast she clearly hope that. She stole a gaze at the lady's face though her eyes sparked with interest as she watched the lady warrior bring the strange jewelry forward to present to the silver and gold lady. She wasn't for certain why the lady wanted to know her story, but she sighed and shook her head. "I don't need trade for my story, anyone in these lands could tell it." Her eyes grew distant as her sight fell on the mountains in the distance where from the top there was a devastating view of destruction across the miles.

Her voice was soft as she began. "I wasn't here when the fires broke out, I was returning from one of the city ports in America, my children had sailed off to Ireland and I'd seen them go. I'd returned within a week after the fires had claimed the lands, but I had friends and family plenty here who retold the tale. There had been the packs of Storm, Clouded Tears, Jaded Shadows and the coyote clan Inferni. There had been two others but one had been disbanded and the other had nearly been destroyed by the coyotes. The fire broke out and devoured all the lands, it would have taken the packs too if they hadn't been alerted and ran for their lives. I lost my son in the fires, and my mate disappeared shortly after.. he'd been going to find Icarus.. but some scavengers found him first." Iskata shook her head sadly as she turned her gaze back to the lady before her and shrugged. "Everyone fled over the mountain and in the panic it seemed that everyone had been scattered to the winds. New packs were formed, the only ones that stayed together were the coyotes of Inferni.. " She had wished that the coyotes hadn't stayed together, it would have made their lives easier, but it hadn't happened and they were stuck with it.

Looking at the lady for a second as she hesitated she went on, speaking of the new world. "Now, there's of course Inferni, and Twilight Vale was formed by my daughter and her mate, most of the pack is family, while the rest of my family seemed to reside in Dahlia de Mai, which is ran by my two brother's children. At the bas eof the mountain Shadowed Sun took up residency, a pack devoted to learning and scholars.. I was part of Labyrinth Glen but our pack is no more while it looks like the settlers on the coast.. Insieme have more than disappeared too... It's sad when the strongest forces seem to be the clan who have their members are bloodthirsty and crazed with hate for the wolves, and the other half can't nor won't stand up for their own friends." she shook her head once more and sighed, turning her sharp eyes back to the lady as she tried to mask her sorrow with disgust. "Now you see why I was so distressed. The packs use to be strong, now they are barely holding on, one only seems to be driven by their hate for the coyotes with the coyotes hate in turn.. and Shadowed Sun, hell, they hardly ever leave their packlands it's seems. Noses in books and all. Not that I have a problem with learning.. but it's like everything and everyone there is behind closed doors now. I just miss the way it use to be.. before the wars and fires reigned." She knew she was just being wistful but there was nothing else she could really do but dream, and dreaming only got you so far.
[html]

Inexcusable waiting time. I'm so sorry.

Hel stiffened slightly. Limit on her trades? It really depended on what Iskata meant. If it meant the harmless little bits and pieces she had taken with her, the beads, the cloth, the clothes, then indeed there were limits. But to say such things about her weapons... Peddling. That's what she called it. Hel tried not to let her face show any emotion, but in her heart outrage screamed and she could imagine herself putting one of her blades through Iskata's side. It wasn't malicious in itself, it wasn't even Hel being sadistic, it was just that she could not understand why it was Iskata's problem what she sold or not. The weapons are not for sale. Ever. They are for my own protection. Her voice caught a steely edge and her eyes flashed dangerously, a warning that the topic would not be taken further. Hel designed her own weapons, yes, and they came at hefty prices. She was here as an innocent merchant. And she certainly would not accept any other view of the matter.

It was when Iskata started her story that she relaxed and listened intently. This was the land where Connor was hiding and she had to try her very best to find him. To kill him. To complete her assignment. Her mind was already analysing the information; coyotes who hated wolves were banding together once more; Iskata had a lot of family in this place; two packs had already vanished and one seemed content to hide; there was overwhelming bitterness against the coyotes. Slowly, Hel began to understand that if Connor was anywhere, it was unlikely he was with Inferni. Nonetheless, she would have to find out. And only Shadowed Sun seemed to have a residence, this base of the mountain. She could imagine her father nodding at her with pride. Hel would have to phrase her next question carefully. Styx was worried about your reaction towards the fire and now I understand why. I am genuinely sorry about what befell your family. But still, do you know what caused this fire?

The question in itself was not overly important. It was more important to find out where Connor was. But first, Hel needed to gain more of Iskata's trust. I offered the necklace to trade, to show my good intentions. It is customary in my country to do so. I offer it to you still, so that you may see that what I carry is solely for protection. I mean no harm in these lands. She inched just a bit closer, the necklace held out and her expression seemingly friendly. So... you are alone now. What will you do? Join your family in Twilight Vale? Or Dahlia de Mai? It was important for her to know this. As far as Hel was concerned, Iskata could be a liability. She had family and they could come after the black wolf and her mate if she annoyed them. No, it was better to tread lightly in these new lands. Until she had support of her own.

[/html]
When Hel informed the silver and gold lady that her weapons were not on the market and they were for her and herself only Iskata began to relax slightly. She wasn't sure if she really wanted to trust the lady, but nothing in her matter suggested that she really shouldn't be trusted. The wolf knew she was being unjust, the lady herself seemed to have become upset by the fact that Iskata even suggested that she would peddle her weaponry to the packs and clans in these lands, maybe Iskata was just to tired to deal with the hatred the world seemed to breed, but the idea of something to make hatred, murder and senseless violence easier wasn't something that sent thrills down her back.

Iskata kept her maw shut while the lady spoke, she could tell by the tone that Hel had been more than slightly offended by her words but Iskata had to protect herself and those she loved, and what Hel had along her was a danger like no other if learned to work the products. She shook her head at the question of if the lady knew who started it. She'd already told the stranger the truth, she wasn't even here. "I came too late to know who or what started it.. I just know what it did.. though you can see that for yourself if you go across the mountain.." Shifting from foot to foot Iskata sighed and her eyes were draw once more to the gift that the lady was displaying. She didn't want to be rude but she was worried with all the war and fighting.

Finally making up her mind she nodded softly and took the necklace from the lady's outstretched hand. "Thank you.." She held it between her own and examined it before she slipped it around her neck, the soft weight of the wood settling on her breastbone as she gazed down at it, so dark against her creamy white chestfur. She looked back up suddenly as Hel asked her a questions about her own survival. Iskata was silent as a frown perched on her lips, debating what she knew she should do and what she really wanted to. The end result she already knew as she gazed back at Hel. "A friend and I don't want to join with the others, there's too much conflict with the war and we want to stay out of it's reaches as long as possible. We'd dreamed of creating a pack of our own where we could raise our families, be surrounded by friends and even those new would feel welcome. There's so much we have to do to get started though.. it almost seems impossible.. but then again every pack started from nothing, right?" She smiled as she tried to look to the cheery side of all the work they had to do, before she asked curiously. "What do you plan to do, just passing through.. or tempted to settle the lands? Styx told me of how they lived overseas.. I knew a pack once that lived the same way.. and I'd grown fond of the idea myself.." she fingered the necklace lightly as she added. "There's plenty of wolves who don't settle in packs..." She didn't want the lady to think she was trying to push her into becoming one of their own, though newcomers were always welcome in the territory, she just liked the idea of the new things the strangers brought with them. Change.
[html]

OOC text

Had Hel known of Iskata's fears, she would have brushed them off as silly fancies. To her, the weaponry she carried was her true nature, and she yielded every piece in her arsenal with great skill. She saw her career as mercenary not as others did, senseless brutal murder, but an art. Of course she could tear the other limb from limb, but that would truly be unnecessary and stupid. Had she known about the war, Hel would have tried to explain to Iskata exactly what her trade was. She killed those who deserved to die. She passed no judgement on them, she accepted their word for it and sought nothing more. If she'd tried anything else she would have been a far worse assassin.

Hel looked over her shoulder, towards the mountain. What exactly had caused the destruction Iskata spoke of? She would find out. She needed to. If Connor was that way, then she would have to follow. For a moment, she even pondered asking Iskata about Connor, but she would blow her own cover. Not a wise idea. No, merchant it was. I am glad you like it. It certainly suits you. Hel gave Iskata one of her reassuring smiles, perking her ears to listen closely and register everything. So not only had two packs disbanded, but this female and one other friend thought of creating something new. A pack. Hm. She didn't know what to say, really. She and Styx had come here on a mission, but it would be unwise to show allegiance just yet. If Connor joined their pack, then she couldn't kill him. Styx was right, yes. In Europe they live in cities, much like this one. We both travelled together and we didn't join into packs. We traded with them, but nothing more. Here.... I am not sure what we should do here. I kindly accept your offer, Iskata, but must refuse it for now. I hope that if Styx and I ever decide to join later, we will be welcome. Hel thought for a moment. Worth a shot... You mentioned lone wolves. Who are they, exactly? Do you know them? Hel had to be careful. If Iskata became too suspicious, she could walk away. And then, if Hel ever needed her help, she might not give it.
[/html]
Iskata's eyes lite up slightly as the other mentioned that in the future if they decided that they may want to seek a pack that she hoped the offer was still available. Thought Iskata wasn't sure about her weaponry, she'd known many that carried weapons for themselves and had never turn a fly unless provoked. She assumed that if Hel knew how to use her weapons exceptionally then she could and would be highly valued as a packmember and a friend. Iskata knew how to fend for herself, but if she was able to protect the whole pack, that she was unsure of, though in time they would learn. She smiled at Hel as she realized that the lady could be the missing piece of the puzzle between Deuce and her if they were to lead a pack. Deuce held the healing works of an apothocary, Iskata herself was more the motherly one, but Hel could be the third strength they needed if later their paths crossed again. She nodded as she agreed with Hel's words. "There would always be a place for you two if you wished. The others and I shall remain around the outskirts of this city if you needed us. We're not that hard to find..." she smiled at the idea and flicked her ears back as she thought about the question that Hel had asked next.

She shook her head for a moment as she tried to think about who all she knew from the loners. After a moment she spoke slowly. "Most of them are from the old packs who haven't settled yet.. there are a few that were here when we moved across to these lands.. but they seem friendly enough..." Iskata paused for a moment, the reason for the pause became clear as she shook her unfocused eyes and asked plainly. "Are you looking for someone?" The question had been odd, of course she knew that Hel could have just been trying to figure out who lived in the lands, but the way she asked seemed to catch the silver and gold lady off guard.
[html]

I'm really sorry I just suck at replying... Should we have this closed soon, considering we have the more recent pack thread?

The more she thought about it, the more swayed she seemed to be. Loki would not agree with his daughter on this. Then again, her father would possibly kill her for even befriending Styx, let alone mating with him. She had been in no pack since she had left Asgard. There had been no need. She'd found Styx, they'd travelled together and she seemed to enjoy their freedom, not answering to anyone. She had seen pack life in Europe, where in some places it was strict and in others not, but it had not tempted her. Truly, the only way she would join a pack was to lead it. She could take orders, yes, but she would not start as a simple member. She couldn't. Iskata, I will be honest with you. I would join your pack if there was a guarantee that I could lead it with you. Otherwise... I must decline. It had been hard, saying that. Hel had had to admit that she was headstrong and that was no easy feat. Maybe Iskata would not fault her for it.

Dammit. She'd aroused suspicion. She kept her features blank, so she would give nothing away. Why should she, anyway? She could not yet fully trust Iskata and to change her story and say she was a warrior would not help her case. She would be deemed a liar. And then no more pack option. I only asked because I thought that these lands were very populated. Perhaps they are, but I think I simply assumed all wolves would be in packs. And no, I am not looking for anyone. I know no one in these lands. Hel smiled again, but her eyes seemed to retain the cold features. She should be getting back. She'd learned enough, truly.
[/html]
ooc: Yes, we could end it here.

IC:

Iskata smiled softly at the lady's words, rather surprised by her outgoing personality, yet amused that she wished to lead, when Iskata herself had been holding plans to try and see if she'd be the missing piece to their puzzle. She chuckled softly and nodded, finally admitting. "You don't even really have to ask, Deuce and I had dreamed up a three part councel leadership and our only missing link seems to be everything you are. Loyalty, courage and healing... I was hoping that if you did come back that perhaps you'd be our final councelmember, and fellow leader." she knew she seemed a little sheepish in admitting her dreams for the lady who hadn't even truly agreed to join yet, but she just seemed so perfect for the position, she didn't have a problem admitting that to the lady.

When the lady give her reply to the questions on family or friends in the area she nodded agreement, it could be said that the land was very populated, atleast for a rural place. She knew the port towns were horridly packed and this had nothing compared to the major cities around the world. She shrugged at the words and replied. "More are in packs, though you can find one or two loners out there. Perhaps if you haven't found the other packs on your own one day we can take a trip around the lands so you can meet the others." she suggested lightly. She figured that Hel would find them on her own, but if she wanted Iskata would be right here and available for a trip about the lands.
[html]

Aaand, we're done here. Feel free to reply or just close Smile

She had often imagined settling down in a pack, but mostly she had seen herself and Styx leading it, as her parents had. This idea, of a three part leadership, was both new and alluring. But it might mean that Styx would receive a lower rank. She considered this. Her mate, her älskling, not on the same level as her? In a way, Styx had always deferred things to her, he considered her his friend and counsel, and she listened to his advice. She might have lead them, but in love and life, they were equal. She no longer saw him as weak and scrawny. She was strong, yes, but she had also learned that strength in love came from within, from feeling, not from power. She had not bullied Styx into loving her. He had chosen to be hers, as she was his. To lead, with two women, not her mate, was a novel thing. If Styx would not fault her for it... Styx and I will have to talk about it. But I think it is safe to say that we will come to you, in time.

Meet the others? Oh, the sheer joy, the possibility, the thought in itself was enough to make her want to leap with joy. She could find Connor and finish her job. What would come after... there might be retribution, of sorts, depending on his loyalty to the pack. If not, then she would stay, perhaps with Iskata and this Deuce, and lead a pack. And become the strong wolf her father had bred her to be. She might start a family with Styx. Yes, the future certainly seemed bright. I must go back now, Iskata. I hope the gift you wear will bring you luck and safety. And remind you of the good things in life. Fare thee well, Iskata Sadira, I dare say we shall meet again. And with what Hel turned around and walked back towards the campsite, her mind in turmoil and her thoughts clouded.
[/html]