Smolder
[html]

WC:000+ / Open to anyone. Evening at the borders.

Matteo knew what he was doing was morally wrong. He knew the consequences should he ever be caught. He also knew well enough the hell he'd pay if ever he let Ezekiel down by being caught. By making one little decision of being a spy for the Fire King, Matteo had given his life over to the hands of Inferni's leader. His only escape would be one of two things; kill the king and, yet again, not get caught... or flee the province in hopes of not being followed or chased.

He'd do neither, though. With Gemma home, safe and sound, and his safety on the line due to Alaki's manhunt, Matteo knew that the more allies in the clan he had, the more likely the chances of his little messed up family being saved when the time came. He was strong, he was a good fighter now... but Matteo knew his limits. Alaki would snap him in half if the wolf ever caught up with him.

So he spent most of his time away from AniWaya, away from the tribe he so desperately wanted to call home. Gemma was safe; Dominick, his father's ex-hitman, Ayasha and Camilla would keep her safe. All he had to do was focus on the tasks ahead.

His goal today was to either find Tedros, or else meet someone new in Inferni, be it a veteran member or a new kid on the block. He needed the approval of the clan if he planned on someday being able to wander the clan's territory as... as what?

A member of the fire clan? Did he really feel torn enough to join the clan that had hired him for his services as a spy? The young medic rode along in a heavy silence, Jericho keeping them on track along the familiar route to Inferni's territory. She knew her rider was lost in his thoughts; he did it often and she'd grown used to the tension.

Upon reaching the border nearly an entire day's worth of travel later, Matteo hopped off the mare, walking over to one of the many posts there and brushing a delicate finger across the wolf's skull on top. ...such violent warnings. He mused, cracking an uncharacteristic smirk. Dad would've loved this place. The smirk he wore was bitter, sarcastic; how could such violence come of a difference in blood types?

Deciding he'd idled enough at the border, Matteo moved back to Jericho's side and let out a howl, summoning someone to the border to meet him. He'd explain his good relations with Ezekiel if he had to but hopefully, whoever came would figure it out; he'd been in and out of the territory before. Surely they'd have seen him by now.

As his howl's echoes faded, Teo leaned half his weight against Jericho's flank, his arm over her back. This won't take long, girl. I promise we'll be home soon. The mare paid him little mind, too focused on the patch of dried grass at her feet to care about her rider's words of comfort.

<style type="text/css"> .matteoyote b {font-weight:bold; color:#f3ccd4; letter-spacing:1px; margin:5px; text-shadow:#68757a 1px 1px 1px;} .matteoyote p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;} .matteoyote .ooc {font-size:10px; text-align:center;} .matteoyote {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#b5ccd4; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Yd2Yv.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #68757a; padding: 300px 0px 0px 0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#68757a; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>[/html]
Zana had been at the mansion resting when the howl rang out. It had indeed waken the healing woman and instead of trying to go back to sleep the smalll woman had decided to slip out of the mansion and risk getting yelled at for stretching the limits of her healing frame. She was a scout and she would be of little use if she stayed hidden away in the houses of Inferni. The small woman grumbled to herself and had padded out in the frosty cold to find out just what was out upon their borders.

It hadn't taken her as long to get to the border as she would have thought but then again many of her injuries were to her upper frame and not her hind quarters. She would have liked to have perched upon her pikes as she normally did but she knew better than that. She might be healing but she was far from being healed. Instead when the tiny creature came upon the stranger she glared fiercly, her full height of 3ft 6 in standing on firm Inferni ground as she growled. "What do you want stranger..." the scent of his pack still clinging to him slightly as she watched him distrustingly.
[html]

WC:000+ / ...xD I freakin' love Zana.

Teo blinked in surprise at who came to greet him; a pigmy. It was the only way to describe the tiny girl; she could've have come up past his waist at best and Teo himself wasn't overly tall. He'd never seen anything like it. Deep down, he wanted to laugh; this girl's growled words matched what he'd expected of her attitude. Big bark, tiny dog.

He lowered his head in respect, keeping his tail down and smiling politely. Forgive my intrusion. My name's Matteo. He introduced, voice friendly despite her growled greeting. I came to visit. Not much more reason than that, I'm afraid. No ill intent, I assure you; my loyalty is to the clan first and foremost. Spoken like a true coyote.

<style type="text/css"> .matteoyote b {font-weight:bold; color:#f3ccd4; letter-spacing:1px; margin:5px; text-shadow:#68757a 1px 1px 1px;} .matteoyote p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;} .matteoyote .ooc {font-size:10px; text-align:center;} .matteoyote {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#b5ccd4; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Yd2Yv.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #68757a; padding: 300px 0px 0px 0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#68757a; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>[/html]
[html]
Sorry, couldn't resist joining in. Especially since Ves probably had an intimate encounter with Teo's girlfriend. >> / +516

Vesper snarled in frustration, missing the grouse by a good foot as it fluttered away, spooked by the howl echoing through the territory. She landed and nearly inhaled a feather for good measure. She’d been lucky to find one of the forest grouses on the ground; otherwise scrambling clumsily up a tree would have been her best bet. However, it looked like her usual skill in hunting could be foiled by a random newcomer making a racket.

The lupus-formed coywolf huffed, spitting the feather out of her mouth and flattening her ears. She wondered if she should go check out what the howl was about, but then again, she was only a Tirones and not exactly qualified to do anything about it. Then again, she aspired to be able to do something about it eventually, and to put her skills to work scouting out the territories even beyond the clan’s. Deciding she wouldn’t have food to keep her entertained today, she loped steadily in the direction of the call.

As it was, she reached the place before Zana, but she’d heard her small pack mate coming and remained out of sight. Her blue eyes washed over the man and horse at the border; she was glad for the foliage that would hide her expression of shock. She had seen plenty of white-furred canines before, but never a coydog and never as pale as this. He seemed to lack pigment altogether, his skin almost translucent where she could see it through thin fur. It was…unnatural. It wasn’t something she expected to see so close to the wild clan’s territory.

Or maybe she did—because anyone who wanted to trespass here was an idiot.

The rusty-colored pigmy confronted the stranger as any coyote should, and Vesper pricked her ears for the pale man’s reply. When he did speak, she smirked in disbelief. His loyalty was to Inferni? Who the hell was this guy? Having coyote blood didn’t cement the bond with the clan for Vesper; she cared more about the sense aspect rather than species, and he didn’t seem to have sense.

And so she revealed herself, pushing pointedly noisily through the vegetation and looking the male over. She might have shifted into her optime form to almost match his height, but that would have taken too long, and she was more comfortable as she was born—on four legs—anyway. If he had an issue with that, she could show him what her teeth could do. She was too nervous around horses to change shape, anyway, and she did give the animal a wide berth as she came around to Zana’s side to face off against the man.

“Someone loyal to Inferni would probably smell like Inferni, Matteo,” Vesper stated. She hoped that she wouldn’t be reprimanded for stepping in, but if this came to a fight, she might need to help out her small companion. She didn’t pretend she was friends with Zana, but Zana was a comrade she respected and heard good things about despite her tininess. “Would you care to elaborate a little bit?”

<style type="text/css">
.vespyy b {font-weight:bold; color:#a45927; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #2f1707; }
.vespyy p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.vespyy {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#533920; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/7efhU.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 240px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8b744b; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
Zana stood glaring at the male. She wasn't certain what to think of the stranger at their borders, but it hadn't been long since her return to the clan and she didn't know what ploys and ploys her leaders used to gather information from afar. True she was a scout but sometimes that meant little when you were at the bottom of the scouting ranks. She narrowed her eyes once more as he began to speak, not liking a word he said. Something smelled fishy and it sure wasn't the sea.

She opened her maw to reply when Vesper appeared from the brust. Her eyes snapped to one of the newclan mates as she spoke first. The tiny woman glanced at her with slight disapproval but she wasn't about to bicker I front of this stranger. Instead she spat between them. "You are not of the clan, therefore you can not have our best interests at heart. Loyalty is to your pack...or are you telling me deep down you're a traitor..." Her words dripped with disgust at this figure. Everything about him screamed weak in her eyes and everytime he opened his maw she was realizing she was disliking him more and more.
[html]

WC:000+ / Teo; easily offended.

Teo wasn't getting a warm welcome this day, apparently. Out of the bushes came another girl, this one with patchy fur and an attitude. Then again, this pygmy girl seemed pretty upset with him. Why? Because he sided with Inferni? Teo's ears flicked back and he withheld a growl of frustration. Women.

I have loyalties to Ezekiel, then. I'm his eyes and ears, not that he's making it public knowledge. It made sense not to; a spy wasn't supposed to be known, even by friendlies. Any extra person knowing could blow his cover. This was the last thing he needed.

But Teo was frustrated. Look, if you're both that set on chasing me off, I'll leave. I'm not here to cause trouble. I just figured I'd pay a visit. His tone was offended, though he kept a relatively calm tone to it, keeping his cool despite his temper. Cool-colored eyes flicked to each girl as he waited for a final verdict. Somehow, he figured Ezekiel wouldn't give a rat's ass about some border bickering; the clan was territorial and easy to anger. Teo wasn't about to blame either girl for that.

He did have half a mind, however, to step on a midget. Squish. Luckily, he didn't even show any signs of the temptation, holding his thoughts to himself. Now was not the time to cause a fight. Maybe he'd be able to take one of them easily, but an ankle biter might be a bit distracting in a fight. Damn hotheaded short girl.

[html]
Eeep! Didn't see that Sky had replied. xD

The small woman flashed her a look through lilac eyes, and Vesper lowered her head slightly in acknowledgment but hoped that was all that would be done about her intrusion. Her pale blue eyes then flicked to the odd, pigment-less ones of the coydog. Her tail lashed in agreement when Zana pointed out that he would be a traitor to his old pack; someone who would so easily destroy their former allegiances wasn’t exactly someone who could be trusted again.

The coywolf’s eyes did widen slightly as he mentioned the Aquila’s name, and she wondered if she should approach Ezekiel on the subject. It was her right as a member of the clan to know this so a fight could be avoided, but it was also the leader’s right to have his own secrets. As a loner, she didn’t have to deal with such complicated politics, didn’t have to keep note of other canines’ contacts. Her discomfort showed in a flick of her ear though she didn’t say anything; no doubt the stupid male would probably take it as a victory.

“Pay a visit.” Vesper echoed his statement, almost spitting, though her fur had been flattened somewhat by his claims. She honestly wasn’t sure what to do in this situation; Zana outranked her, and it would be up to her what they did with this pest—though Ves wondered about approaching him a way’s off from the borders to see what his big deal was. Not many could claim to be the eyes and ears of Inferni’s Aquila, especially a scarred albino from another pack.

<style type="text/css">
.vespyy b {font-weight:bold; color:#a45927; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #2f1707; }
.vespyy {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#533920; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/7efhU.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 240px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8b744b; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
The small woman was like a dog at a bone with this one who claimed to be a spy for their leader. She wasn't sure she believed him. She herself was a scout and spy to the clan but it wasn't exactly public knowledge what she did, where she went and why she did the things she did. She had family connections to almost every pack and clan and there was something about her size that just tended to make others believe there was nothing dangerous about her, but size wasn't everything when you've lived with life's complications like Zana herself had. She was well adjusted to using her size to her own benefits.

She bared her fangs at the male once again, ignoring vesper. She wasn't angry at the other woman, just perplexed with the puzzle before them she was forced to have to tease apart. Nothing in his story added up and she wasn't pleased at all. "Tell me then. Why would one with such loyalties to my Leader toss at the paws of his lowly clan members a Morse such as this. Do you think the Aquila would want everyone to know the work you do for him...such work that could find oneself facing death or exile if the wrong words were spoken on I'll winds.." she gazed at him steadily as she spoke. She would not be underminded just because of her size. She lived to prove that there was more than what meets the eye.

She sighed slightly though as the male seemed to think she was going to chase him from the lands. No, in all reality she had a better idea. If he was on such good terms with their leader she would let him play out his explanation and if it still didn't satisfy her she would go straight to the source, for there was only one soul in these lands that could tell them if the spy was just as ignorant as he seemed or if this was a bluff. "Oh, I never said you had to leave..you have me intriged at least..." a very wolfish smile spread across her maw as she waited.
[html]

WC:000+ / Hostility.

He eyed the patchy woman for a moment, but his attention turned to Zana when she spoke again. He narrowed his eyes at what she'd said. Have I any choice? You wouldn't take dingy answers like 'it's private'. Besides, why wouldn't I be able to put trust in those the Aquila does? A good reply, and as Zana explained that she'd taken a curiousity in him, he decided it was better than being kicked out on his ass.

I've told you what I'm trusting you both to hear, and that's it. Anything else is too important to share. His tone left little to no room for argument, proving his patience being tested with the hostility both girls were showing him. He didn't like being spoken down to; it wasn't in his nature to be and it brought back bad feelings he'd long since abandoned.

He stood his ground, though. Despite knowing his place and showing respect of that, the boy wasn't about to be pushed around by a couple of border greeters. He'd respect their athority but the moment either thought of attacking, he'd be ready to shred fur.

[html]

Zana had an attitude a lot bigger than she was, and Vesper respected that. She had always been small compared to most of her enemies—though not as stunted as the pygmy—and she felt a faint kinship with the woman. She listened as the Vigiles spoke with calm confidence, questioning what the male was saying then smiling as she said he intrigued her.

The coywolf snorted, though it was a suppressed noise of humor rather than disdain. She continued to stare at the pale male. When he said he didn’t have any choice but to reveal his connection to the Aquila, she grinned. “You didn’t have to come visit, you know,” she growled. “Or otherwise you could have called directly for Ezekiel. We could have skipped this whole little meeting.” She stepped closer to him and pricked her ears, tail lashing behind her in a subtle show of dominance; she wanted to see if he did recognize his place compared to the Inferni members. While usually a believer of equality and respect, Ves thought this man was a notch below that.

“And what would a little visit accomplish, exactly?” she went on, narrowing her eyes as she questioned his motives. “Did you want to come meet and gain favor with the coyotes you’re apparently spying for? Make friends? Why shouldn’t you trust us with everything then?” She didn’t like this “secret” bullshit.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
Though she would always look the child Zana had always had a cool collective way of viewing the world. It came from the cruel ways of fate and of walking upon earth with the simple knowledge that she was indeed alone. Her greyed lilac orbs lifted high to gaze at the man. She could never look down upon someone, that she knew, but she could always show them that she was above them in her own way.

She was silent though as she let Vesper speak and question the male before her. She choose her words wisely and Zana gave a slight nod of approval as she waited until her fellow clan member was done speaking. There were flaws in the arrogance of this male and she wasn't certain if he even realized thus. Instead she wished him luck silently in further ventures on strange lands, for she was feeling rather forgiving today and though she would not budge she would not blood fang on the stranger if he was indeed Ezekiel's spy.

She turned her eyes up to the male again as she spoke, "You had many choices you could have made sir. You choose unwisely in how you diverged them. Let it be a lesson, while you are visiting the lands of your lord as you claim.. be cautious of who you so freely let your tongue flap for." The small woman turned to Vesper a moment to watch the show of dominance before she spoke again. "There is unrest in every pack, your admittance today if spoken before the wrong member could have been the arrow to the heart of our clan. Your loyalty should be better guarded next time you come round.." There was warning in her grey lilac eyes as she stared into his own, hoping that the beast understood the meaning and significance of her words.

She moved slightly aside, showing the albino the path towards their territories as she stated softly. "I don't know what you'd think you'd learn visiting these lands.. but between Vesper and I.. I think perhaps we can keep you out of trouble.." her words were a warning and a threat both as she turned to gaze at her fellow clan member. She doubted the new face would object to Zana's choice, besides, what was there but dirt and sands in their lands for him to find anything out about. They wouldn't venture near the training grounds or the barns where the horses were kept. If this was some game he would find it very boring indeed, and if he slipped up..deep inside the clans lands his body would remain.
[html]

WC:000+ / Gentle submission.

He listened quietly as each spoke, though he had to hold back a growl at Vesper's tone and words; he didn't approve of it at all, but who was he to disapprove openly? He was a guest for the time being. She and her clanmate, Zana, were residents here. He'd keep his tongue still for now, nodding as Zana scolded him and keeping a mostly submissive stance. Finally, he turned to Vesper and, carefully, responded.

I didn't come to see Ezekiel today. I came to explore and meet others of the clan, perhapes even learn more about the clan's history and way of life. He explained, for both of them, in a calm, careful tone. And it's as miss Zana's just said; slipping my tongue to whoever I meet is a risky thing to do. I have full intentions not to let it happen again... trusted or not. He lowered his head to Zana in 'thanks' for the 'lesson'. He'd never done this before; there was bound to be mistakes here and there. He'd have to learn quickly not to make them again.

If I put a foot out of line, I won't argue a nip or bite. As long as I'm in the clan's lands, I'm at your mercy. Please, I just wish to get to know the clan better. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm still learning... give me a chance to get things right for once? A shy grin followed his words and he suddenly looked months younger, like a teen again, just trying to fit in... for lack of a better description.

[html]
+319

Zana informed the albino of his mistakes, and Vesper let her claws dig lightly into the earth as she listened. So much could have gone wrong, and the older female touched on each of these possibilities—probably to invoke modesty in the spy who had so brazenly waltzed up to their borders with claims of allegiance. Ves still didn’t like that he’d hoped to simply visit the clan, as spying could work both ways; he might head back to his pack with what he had gathered from Inferni under the guise of the Aquila’s agent.

The pygmy’s movement and next statement drew the tawny hybrid’s blue eyes to her, but the glance conveyed what it was meant to. They could parade the stranger around the empty parts of the territory—which wasn’t called The Waste for nothing, at least to the naked eye. At most he could report back to his supposed pack the number of deer mice in a field. So long as they kept him away from any other clan members and the concentrations of dens, it wouldn’t hurt anything.

The male seemed to defer to them, either accepting his position or at least pretending to. His words still did nothing to ease her concerns about his motives, but she said nothing; it wouldn’t take a big stretch of the imagination to pretend that all his words were going in one mangled ear and out the other.

“All right. First lesson about the clan, as I’m sure you’ve figured out by now, is that few of us are this friendly. Now come on.”

Vesper spoke tersely but spared him a teasing smirk before turning and padding along one of the trails, her gait slow enough as to allow Zana to bypass her so the small Vigiles could lead the way. If the coydog thought he would gain anything of substance from this visit, he was sorely wrong.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
She stood quietly as the other two spoke. Her eyes watching Vesper fora moment before she turned back to the male, the stranger, the object of their issue at the moment. It seemed more and more that Vesper and her were on the same line of thought, even if it was at different levels. Zana shifted her weight a moment as their visitor seemed to reveal that he was indeed new to being a spy and that he would make mistakes. Her eyes flashed dangerously as she growled, narrowing her orbs to slits as she spat. "Then you shall remember the most valuable lesson. A dead spy is worthless. If you honestly claim loyalty to our clan and leader then you will try harder to stay alive." She glared up at the male once again as she watched Vesper take the lead in their ventures along the clan's borders and the Waste.

Instead of taking the lead the small woman took up the rear. She might believe the male was a spy, but that didn't mean she would trust him at her back, and at the same time she would watch the back of her fellow clan mate. She chuckled darkly at the words Vesper spoke, her own agreement shimmering in her greyed eyes as she added. "Oh yes, believe me when I say you're lucky you caught me in a good mood stranger.." Her deadly darts were known to some of the clan but not to all, she had let Vesper see the swift dark edge of the blow tube and the tiny needles that could swiftly take the life of prey or enemy.

She padded along behind the two, her ears pricked forward as she listened for others of the clan as well as keeping an eye out for any of the horses or sheep that were kept in the lands. She was sure that the clan was keeping them close at hand and fenced in now a days with the weather turning colder but it would just be their luck that for once she was wrong and this creature traveling with them would learn of the wealth of the clan. She stayed alert as they slid into the open Waste at last, the vast expansion of sparse lands spreading around them for all to see.
[html]

WC:000+ / ...yup, still a Trovato deep down. XD

Matteo almost felt his 'smile' falter when Zana growled her harsh lesson. But he kept that face up rather well and followed them as they led him into the packlands. It felt weird, being tailed by someone barely half his size, but he didn't show his discomfort of the situation. They scolded him some more, about how the clan was a dangerous bunch, and he resisted a scoff; not every fire clan coy was evil and angry. Ezekiel himself had managed to at least remain civil in their last meeting and Tedros was anything but savage like these two seemed to be.

Maybe it was a girl thing.

As they broke the trees and stepped into open space, he had to hold back yet another scoff; this place was their territory? Open spaces like this? What sort of canine could hunt in a sparse area like this? This is probably just a small part of their territory, an unimportant part. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd led me to their graveyard, if they even have one. He clicked his tongue quietly at the thought, resisting the urge to comment; if they didn't trust him, then so be it. He'd have chances later to explore the rest of the area. Right now, he had to abide to the wills of these two...

...lovely ladies.

That's a lot of open space. He commented, his voice showing a mixture of approval and very vague annoyance at being treated like a backstabber. True, he wasn't being very loyal to the tribe, but he had no intentions of ruining the clan king's trust in him.

Zana, right? He turned to look at the shorter of the two clanmates. If I may... this could be a good spot for a hunts tower. Whatever that was. Back home in Italy, my father's people used to use tall towers to keep an eye on the herds. A cabin at the bottom acted as a house for the watcher. It made hunting easier for us, 'cause we always knew where the herds were near our territory. Actually, it was a country thing, and it wasn't so much 'territory' as it was 'property boundries'. Same difference, though.

Not sure if you all already have one, but it's a useful addition. Takes some work to build but if it's sturdy enough, it'll last you a couple years before it'll have to be repaired. He shrugged, placing his hands back in his pockets. Just a suggestion. I don't know what else to talk about, anyway. They'd likely take anything I say or do as a threat, the stupid paranoid gits. I get that I'm not completely welcome here, but it doesn't mean they have to act like savages. His eyes narrowed a bit as he looked out over the land, seeming to put a bored expression on his face, though in reality, it was sarcasm.

Sometimes not even the incredibly flamboyant and overall girly Matteo Trovato could understand the emotional ways women did things. These two seemed to make prime candidates for the title, 'Amazonian Bitch'. In more ways than one.

<style type="text/css"> .matteoyote b {font-weight:bold; color:#f3ccd4; letter-spacing:1px; margin:5px; text-shadow:#6B001B 1px 1px 1px;} .matteoyote p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;} .matteoyote .ooc {font-size:10px; text-align:center;} .matteoyote {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#b5ccd4; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Yd2Yv.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #68757a; padding: 300px 0px 0px 0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#68757a; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>[/html]
[html]
sswm 542

Vesper waved her tail as she walked, though her good ear remained turned back slightly in order to listen to the admonishments her small comrade still gave to the albino spy. She remained quietly amused then glanced back over her shoulder briefly to note that Matteo was sandwiched between them. The pygmy’s next statement caused the hybrid to chuckle quietly, knowing that a dart in his back would convince the spy to not try anything funny. Oh well—at least the Infernians’ words could be backed by fang or poison; there were no empty threats here, even if they sounded like a parody of darkness. Perhaps it’d cause the spy to drop his guard and show them enough insolence to justify a bite or two.

They wandered through the fields, and Vesper noted a far-off rabbit lolloping into the shade of a bush. Well, at least it was only one; the rest of the scenery was rather boring, and she waited for the scarred man to complain. When he did speak, it was to make an obvious statement—and then an unusual suggestion. The unfamiliar terminology caused the she-yote in the lead to falter and glance back at him and at the russet pygmy.

“A tower,” Vesper growled at last, her snide mirth fading as she contemplated the novation. It would be interesting, a great height from which to survey the territory—for more than animals, perhaps. As an aspiring scout, she could see the vantage point as an asset to the others of the tier. Her expression was controlled as to give the illusion that she wasn’t considering what he had to say, though someone good enough at reading canines’ faces could tell that she was attempting to hide something.

“A tower to blow over in the wind and kill someone,” the female added in a quiet mutter. As her adamancy to stay in lupus form probably hinted at, she liked to stick to the old ways as a non-luperci. She slept in the caverns rather than trusting that creaky old human building, and she didn’t think that Inferni—which was more feral of a clan than many in Nova Scotia—would go for such a thing. Then again, she hadn’t been here that long to truly know.

She paused to sniff at the grass, more to buy herself time to formulate her next question though she could smell mouse droppings close to her nose. “Why would you want to spy for a group that is not your own, anyway?” Vesper asked casually, though the query was far from casual. Her cold blue eyes flicked to his pigmentless ones, and a frown crept across her lips. She didn’t truly expect him to answer even though she really wanted to know.

There was always the fear that a traitor of one pack would have little trouble betraying another, and that his allegiance would be flaky at best. That had already been discussed, however, and in a way she was giving him a chance to defend his actions and let them get to know his motivations more. Perhaps he wanted revenge, or he wanted to make amends, or this was all a game of chaos to him. That last was the most dangerous.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]