escapee
[html]

Word Count → 1068 :: Getting a nice big post up to give me a SoSu boost, god my muse is dry after this :| XD This is Odessa getting her slave some leather working equipment.

The newly titled Curandera sat outside her den one one of the two tree stumps she'd placed there. Odessa was carefully rechecking her herbal stocks, making notes of this she needed to get etcetera. Juan had stayed inside that morning, happily seated upon one of her storage dressers. Saffron however was curled up close to Odessa, occasionally nosing at the herbs. Across from where Odessa sat, her newly found slave sat. His fingers were coated in blood as he skinned and cut the rabbits that were now near fully grown. The Serb was a silent creature, diligent in his work, looking up and around occasionally as he rested his digits. Small scars and open cuts littered his hands, and Odessa was curious as to how exactly they happened.

So she asked. The Curandera stared for a second, before she spoke, 'How did you get those scars?' The Serb, who had been a slave all his life and so unused to such a gentle master, gazed up in surprise. He'd never dare take advantage of it, because he knew the horrors than fell upon a misbehaving slave. 'Leather working' he said flatly, though with out frustration in his voice. Setting his knife down, he looked up to explain, 'Old master gave me leather and tools, said 'make something'. Couldn't. Gave me a book, I learnt'. His speech was simple, evidently he'd been taught English but had been forbidden to use it unless spoken too so grammar and pronunciation had gone amiss. Odessa considered for a moment, with a casual tilt of her head, 'If I get you some leather and tools, could you make things for me? And things that I could trade? I can get a book too if you need it?'. Novak nodded, 'Yes, would make nice things, things good for trading. Wallets, bags, belts, you name it'. His words were enthusiastic, yet still flat in tone. 'Don't need book' he replied, tapping his temple, 'All up here'. His mistress nodded, 'Good. We'll go out of territory one of the days and look for one'. Both set back to there work, carrying on silently.

A few days later Odessa and Novak found themselves at a nearby market place. It wasn't far away from Nova Scotia, a few miles past it's borders, but for Novak it was a world away. Unlike when he was a slave before now, he'd been bound by rope and carted around like some kind of dog. Freedom, or at least the tiny piece of trust Odessa granted him was a luxury he held dearly and would not lose by misbehaving. After all, while he was a slave here as long as he behaved well and did as he was asked he'd be treated with care.

'Look' he said, beckoning Odessa towards him as he wandered off. A small stall full of leather stood between two large food stalls. It was easy to miss, but the Serb's eyes were like a hawks and darted everywhere to find what they needed. Several of them were coloured, and some were their original colours. 'Which ones do you need?' Odessa asked, as she would spare no cost for his crafts. The Serb shrugged, 'Bit of everything?' His mistress nodded, 'A square foot of everything' she said, half responding to the Serb's comment and half speaking to the merchant. Either way, both nodded and the merchant began cutting the leather before piling them up upon each other and bundling them up with thick rope. Odessa began to reach for the bundle but Novak got there first, his arm stumbling under the surprising weight he was unprepared for.

Another hour or so passed, and the pair had nothing to show apart from a few new herbs and other odds and ends Odessa had taken a fancy to. The Serb's golden brown eyes flashed once again however, as he beckoned Odessa to follow him again. Upon a tool stall lay an ornate box, possibly Turkish in design. It looked large and heavy, and inside it lay a bundle of tools. 'These are what I need' Novak announced, lifting the box up after looking to the merchant for approval. The tools were metal, a dull silvery colour. The blades and sharp edges were dull, but the kit included a sharpener, so Odessa considered it's dullness was just a safety precaution. After a moments talking with the trader, it was their's for a price that was fiting for such an item. After that they found other bits and bobs, a sewing set strong enough to deal with leather and some dyes of varying colours to decorate the items, along with some feathers and beads.

They sat off home after that, Odessa riding upon Keshi and Novak riding upon Trader. It didn't take long for them to reach home, as both moved quickly, wanting to reach home by midnight. Although both were tired, Odessa was eager to see just how good Novak really was at this sort of stuff. 'Go one' she urged gently, 'Make me something simple'. The Serb nodded, taking up his tools (which technically, as he was a slave, belonged to Odessa) he sliced a few centimetres off of a the bright red dyed leather. Odessa watched closely as he navigated the tools to create a beautiful image on the small red piece of leather. Half and hour later, or there about, he was finished. Holding the object aloft he spoke, 'It's a cat. Like that' the Serb noted, gesturing to Saffron. Surly enough, as Odessa's eyes adjusted to the carved lines, it was. 'I can dye the lines too' he added, but was dismissed with a simple wave of Odessa's hand, 'No, do it in the morning' she said, getting up from her seat. 'Just put your tools and dyes away then you're free to make yourself something to eat and retire to your bed'. She smiled, rubbing her eyes, 'But I'm going to sleep' and with that she whirled away.

As instructed, Novak tidied away, putting the various boxes, tubs and bottles in their place. Then, as he had been permitted to do he cooked one of the less choice cuts of rabbit he had cut a few days prior to the journey. Finally, the Serb led himself outside and to him small, yet well insulated, lean to shack and drifted off to sleep.

<style type="text/css">
.mardessa b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffe7d8; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#50595d 1px 1px 2px;}
.mardessa p.ooc {font-size: 11px; text-align:left; padding:0px 30px;}
.mardessa p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.mardessa .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#ffe7d8; text-shadow:#50595d 1px 1px 2px;}
.mardessa p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 20px; margin:0px;}
.mardessa {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#9b8d88; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/KF770.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:370px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#5f5853; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]