Let it last, let it burn
((Set just on the outskirt of CdA.))

She had slowly made her way up to the north, following some long buried feelings. She had left behind the whiney brat, Anubis. Let him find his way back to his parents, if they were still alive. As... accident prone... as they were, it would be no surprise if they'd gotten themselves killed by now. Luna especially. She had this pull, this urge, to keep going north. She knew from the trip here that there was no bridge to make the journey easier. So she went around. In some places the weather was milder, in some places it was crueler. The further from Catalyst she got, the less Soul -her alter ego- tried to stir into control. Soul had landed the woman into some hot spots. "Yeah, but you enjoyed them."

"Shut up." Soul fell quiet, waiting. Some day Willow would let her guard down, and Soul would stir to activity again. Until then, Soul was simply along for the ride. As Willow made her way north, life got easier. The further she got from Catalyst and Odadio, the less Soul wanted to be free. Willow reached up and stroked the raven feather entwined in her hair as she walked.

She halted for a moment, letting her intuition speak. South, now. She skirted pack territories that had sprung up, though in one area, her mind begged her to stop. The area was wild, different. She couldn't stop, something was driving her on. She kept walking, kept moving. She passed Dahlia, realizing that Dahlia was gone, the scent long faded. Her heart surprisingly ached for the missing Dahlia. She didn't stay to reminisce, didn't stop to wonder what had become of mother and father. She kept going, kept heading for-

The cabin laid in ruins. She lifted a hand to caress the splintered wood. Once, she had laid on the porch and sulked while Taliesin babysat her so mother could pick her herbs. Taliesin, her favored big brother. She'd never really known Noah, not until the day mother had sent her away with him. And then she had gotten lost, separated in a freak snow storm. She had only found herself on the borders of Catalyst by Rhiannon's grace. It was there Odadio had found her and adopted her, taken her under his wing, and raised her to be a ruthless killer, his personal assassin. And then the darkness had come, he had sent them all away. After that, things weren't the same. It was as if he had become possessed. And perhaps he had.

She sat on the ragged heap of ruins, her mind throwing blurry memories of her father and her mother, of the few times she'd seen daddy Lucifer before he left for good. Of Taliesin and Colibri, of Firefly and Svara. She buried her face in her palms, her shoulders trembling. Life had gone to hell, later.

Taliesin had become mates with Kira. They'd had a litter of their own, three pups. And one day, when Kira was out hunting, Taliesin had snapped Liadain's neck. He had taken the other two, Brighid and Liam. Later on, Willow and Kira had become lovers, and Kira had confided in Willow. Of course, Kira was batshit crazy, but still. A mother would know what happened to her own offspring. If crazy, crazy Kira said Taliesin Dir Rhiannon had murdered his own offspring, then it had to be true.

Willow stood, unconsciously checking that her pouch with her assorted trinkets and her small daggers was still on her hips where they belonged. She stared at the cabin for a while longer, aware of a near by pack scent, but ignoring it as she did many things. She let her head fall back, let a soft mournful howl fall from her lips, a cry that had been locked inside of her since her mother had abandoned her.

((WC: 645))
Little did Orin know, as she plodded along morosely through the woods, that her life was about to change. Knowing what she might find, there may have been a small part of her that would tell here enough! There had been plenty of change to last a lifetime, turn your butt around and get out of earshot of the coming call! Yet the other part of her, the curious part, the righteous part that craved justice, would have won over and kept her paces headed in the direction of the stranger. At least, that's what would have happened, if she had known...

But when the mournful howl broke the silence it had come as an utter surprise to the Takekuro woman. Ears perked and swiveled, her eyes jerking in the direction of the call despite there being nothing to behold from this vantage point. Loyal to her pack, she had a duty to protect, but now with life tugging at the stitches of her sanity she wished she had never heard the sound to begin with. Too many in too short of time, when there was still too much to fret over within the pack.

You can't just ignore it, though. I know. With barely a brief second of hesitation now past, Orin too off at a sprint towards the call. The path she followed took her to the very outskirts of the territory, and when she sensed that she was close to the Other she slowed down and padded softly through the snow.

Today she donned the leather armor that Mars had crafted for her – a thing she wore frequently now, as though she were always preparing for battle – and her plain sheepskin cloak over it. It felt gaudy and was much more than she was used to dressing in, but the woman was growing used to the clothing all the same. As she moved through the trees smoothly thanks to the flexibility of the leather, she was nearly silent. Nearly.

Somehow, Orin lost her concentration while peering through the trees at the cabin and the auburn silhouette that milled about outside of it, her foot paw coming down on a sun dried branch. Crack! She jumped, the sound surprising even her, and uttered a small squeak of shock. Well, so much for the element of surprise?

“Who treads so close to d'Arte's borders?” She asked, her voice firm. She had to remain steady, for now she represented her pack. Still, it was clear by her measured tone that she wasn't looking for any trouble today.

((WC: 430))
The snap of the branch brought Willow out of her contemplation of the ruins, her hand automatically pulling a dagger out and concealing it in her hand. Her body took a slightly defensive crouch, her ears lowering, her tail raising. The stranger was dressed oddly, though the Soul daughter couldn't say much with her off the shoulders top and jeans, along with the belt with her pouches. Her messy auburn mane was pulled back in it's typical braid, her sky blue eyes cold and harsh.

The measured tones of the other led the woman to ease her stance, though the blade remained concealed in her palm just in case. Willow brazenly met the woman's eyes. "I am Willow Soul, and I was unaware that I was close to any pack." She paused, then added softly, "I used to live in this cabin with my mother Deuce, and half brother Taliesin. Not that I consider him kin anymore, not after..."

She cut herself off. She wouldn't spill her life story to any stranger. Odadio had taught her better than that. The distant pain in her eyes hardened into ice, her posture shifting just slightly, enough that one would know she was wary again. Her voice had hardened when she spoke next. "And who are you?"

Little did she know the reaction she had the possibility of getting at the mention of her kin. Something warned her to be cautious, to tread lightly. Willow studied the woman with her armor and cloak, feeling absurdly overdressed in the top and jeans. But they had looked good on Soul when she passed through Freetown, so Soul had bartered for them, giving something she had no issue with allowing others to use as they pleased. Willow had liked the feel of the top, and so she allowed her alter to keep the clothing, though she was quick to take the herbs to prevent pregnancy.

Willows ears perked at a sound, then flattened again in wary aggression. Though the other woman sounded like she wasn't looking for trouble, Willow knew that some were good at hiding their intent. Like Taliesin.

((WC: 354))
Whatever the woman said, all Orin heard was Taliesin and in a flash of anger her dagger was unsheathed before it was even clear where she had it stashed (thought it was only in a small sheath on her belt). She had been training, and whilst she was still clumsy with her bow she was becoming skilled and dexterous with the dagger. She wasn't in close proximity to Willow and was happy to keep it so. Orin made no movement to attack, but she did hold out the wavy blade in warning. “Come no further!” she warned, her lip curling back in a snarl. “Kin to rot and scum!” she accused haughtily. Family of the devil were not to be trusted.

But the woman did something that made Orin take pause and tilt her head, the anger in her countenance submitting to confusion. She did not favor the way the woman looked at her, taking the direct gaze as a bit of a challenge, but to her Orin had no authority and because Orin was only a subordinate wolf it didn't speak to her instincts very strongly – nothing more than a niggling bother. It was purely the admission of blood that Orin bristled at.

Despite the briefness of the exchange, Orin caught something in her eyes, be it real or imagined. She had happened upon a lone wolf reminiscing of the past, of her family... was there some disdain there? The knife lowered, curiosity overcoming Orin's ire. “I am Orin Takekuro, of Cercatori d'Arte – the pack you were 'not aware of.'” She wasn't so bold as to mock the woman, but quote her directly she did. Letting it sink in for a moment, she then pressed for more answers. “If it is Taliesin Rhiannon who is your kin, then your kind is not welcome here. I know who he is and what he is up to, and I won't let you come take over this pack.” She motioned wildly with the blade, more to accentuate her point than to threaten the stranger.

“But...” she said more quietly, her voice soft with wonder. “You do not introduce yourself as a Rhiannon. Why? What happened between you? Why would you renounce your own brother? This is some trickery, no doubt.” She paused, then added. “If you despise him then unearth his story. I seek the truth.”

((wc 403))
The woman sparked with anger, and the hidden dagger came flashing out, the point aimed unwaveringly at the stranger in the armor. Her snarls were unwelcome, and Willow went on the defensive, keeping the blade between the two of them, her hackles raising. Kin to rot and scum? What had her mother done while she had been gone? The answer came quickly on the heels of the thought.

Willow lowered the dagger's point just barely, her hackles smoothing slightly. Her eyes still glittered angrily, but this Orin seemed to have some feud with her half brother as well. "We share a mother, and that is all. I prefer to use the name my mother gifted me with, my fathers surname. My father is Haku Soul, a former leader of the apparently now defunct Dahlia pack. And I have no interest in this pack, Orin. My loyalties still lay with my alpha, Odadio, no matter the distance." She stressed the female's name to remind her that there was no need for blood to be shed. It seemed the two women had something in common, after all. She held up the dagger she had held concealed in her hand, then slid it into her pack, letting the other woman see it. Of course, she didn't need the dagger to kill, her claws and fangs were just as deadly, if not more so.

Blue eyes had changed again, morphing into a more thoughtful look. "Once I held love in my heart for the older brother who hadn't abandoned mother and I. But he was part of Catalyst, a pack in south-west Michigan, a mate to a... friend of mine, Kira Rheams. They had a litter together. And that bastard, Taliesin, murdered his own daughter, Liadain. Snapped her neck even while her eyes were just opening. Can you imagine the first and only thing that child saw was her father killing her?" A barely controlled fury had filled her voice as she spoke about the half sibling. "He took the runt and her brother, Liam, and ran. Kira was devastated. She and I became lovers afterwards." Well, Kira and Soul. Willow disdained everything to do with sexual relations, though she was not going to be quick to disclose that little tidbit.

Little did she know that the truth was actually what both Liam and Taliesin had spoken of, that it truly had been Azza, Kira's older son, who had murdered the little pup. If she had known, maybe things would have been different, maybe she wouldn't have been adding fuel to Orin's fire.

((WC:429))
Just as quickly as she had brandished her weapon Willow threatened with a dagger of her own that seemed to just materialize in her hands. The moment dragged on long and strenuous and it felt like hours were passing though little more than base seconds moved along through time. She eyed the woman, thankful that they were still several paces apart, but suddenly so aware at how easily a dagger could be chucked. She didn't want to dare the woman to throw it, betting that she was practiced with her edge as well. Orin started when Willow moved to replace the blade in her pack, and then after a moment of eying the other she slowly returned her own blade to its place at her belt, her cloak falling over it and concealing it once more.

So, this one was only half-sister to the Rhiannon? Orin made little attempt to veil her judgment as her eyes looked her up and down. “Haku...” she repeated, but she was only testing the name on her own tongue, not trying to interrupt. She had never known the man but had heard whisperings of his dealings. All she knew was that he had lived with a sullied name, so why would that paternity make her want to trust Willow any more? Because Haku hadn't raped her. Maybe others, but not her. The more Willow stood there and spoke with her civilly, the more Orin began to ease. She hadn't been trying to encroach upon d'Arte and she wasn't here to execute some master scheme cooked up by Taliesin or Liam, she was just here to remember her family and try to rediscover herself. Orin couldn't fault her for that. She took a few careful steps closer, any edge of malice completely gone from her stance and expression now.

Willow lapsed into her story, and Orin's white ears poked through the bright pink locks as she drank in every word of it. Her face wore her feelings outright, and at first she looked on with interest, and then speculation, and finally horror. Her eyes grew wide and her hands covered her mouth as she sucked in a sharp breath of frigid air, and it was like that air froze her to her core and a great shiver cascaded down her spine. An icy lasso looped around her heart and squeezed, and for a moment she felt her heart struggle with the pressure. Mist glistened in her golden eyes and she moved her head as though to shake, but stopped. There was no denying this, it was everything she had ever suspected. This long, nearly a month, and Orin thought she would never find proof of her accusations. Now it stared her in the face with captivating blue eyes.

“So he is a killer. I was right,” her voice was little more than a breathy whisper, but it gained strength as she went on. “I always knew but no one would...” She stopped, eyes taking the time to actually focus on Willow instead of stare blankly in disbelief.

“I knew he was a killer,” she said with passion. “His father was a rapist and his son is a puppy killer. I knew Liam hadn't gone down that road on his own, I knew it came from his father! But he has them under his spell! I have been trying to explain it to my pack for weeks – ever since I found out about his true blood, his father - but they just won't listen to me. I don't blame them, either. I have no evidence save what his son did and the admission about who his father is, and since he hasn't lied about either everyone thinks that's reason to trust him.”

Her eyes dropped as she delved into foreboding thoughts of the demon living amongst her people. It had been her every desire over the past several weeks to find a way to oust him from the pack, but like all evil did he construed the truth and made her look the fool. As far as anyone knew, Taliesin was a model citizen. Well, not anyone. Willow knew better.

“Will you come with me?” She asked suddenly. “I know we've only just met and you have no reason to trust me, but I need your help. Taliesin's son, Liam, is a murderer and I knew Taliesin was the same. Liam still lives and I suspect that they are working together. I don't yet know their plot but I know something's happening, I know he's sneaking off to speak to Liam. Who knows what horror they could have planned! My pack... My pack... They are a peace loving pack. Good natured souls who want nothing more than to live in harmony, create art, and be happy. They have already seen enough sorrow to last a lifetime. We strive for happiness, but Taliesin is going to destroy what little we have left!

“No one believes me. They are good people but they just don't see. Help me. Help me make them understand. Come with me and be my proof. Tell them your story, they'll have to believe you!”
By now she had closed in on Willow, appealing to her as she grabbed her hand gently but held it aloft as someone who is hoping for a gracious gift. “I bet Taliesin is so cocky he won't even have the wit to deny you his sister. Willow Soul, you're my last hope!”

((wc 924))
Orin spoke softly, as if to herself and Willow's ears perked forward to catch the words. Her ears laid back, then came forward again, unsure of how to handle the words that Orin was murmuring and muttering. Talieisn's father was a rapist? Okay, she could see that, after all, Lucifer had taken delight in locking her inside the cottage and keeping her out of sight. To him, she had been an ugly reminder of why Deuce and his mate-ship had fallen apart. But little Liam was a puppy murderer? Had he killed Brighid?

Orin began speaking about her facing the pack and announcing these things, denouncing the older brother she had once adored. But perhaps this was why Rhiannon had led her back, led her here to Souls again. To prevent Lucifer's seed from destroying any more innocent lives. She dropped her eyes, her emotions warring with her heart. She knew it was right to do what Orin asked, but could she do that to the older brother who had once been so kind and caring But then, he and Noah had abandoned her.

"You'll only destroy more lives, doing this Willow." "Shut up, Soul." "Tell her if she fucks us, we'll do it." The voice of Soul, the sultry murmur was filled with her husky laughter. Willow lifted her gaze to the woman, her blue eyes seeming to glitter green for a brief second. "Keep an eye on him, Orin. Don't let him near any puppies or young wolves. I will be back in a moon's time."

Little did she know her half brother was expecting his second litter of pups, due at the end of January. If she'd known that, perhaps she would feel differently. "I'm not ready to face him yet. He abandoned me, he promised mother he would take care of me, and then he and Noah abandoned me. He murdered a helpless pup, raised another to be a murderer I guess. It's... it's a lot to take in at once."

((WC: 355))
Orin watched as Willow seemed to delve deep in thought for a moment, digesting all the things she revealed to her, and for a moment Orin despaired. She was going to think the same thing they did, she knew, she would think that she was crazy. Never mind that Willow distrusted the Rhiannon man too, no one would listen to Orin. It was her fate to be forever mocked, to become the fool among Taliesin's court, and she was ever more laughable to have thought otherwise.

Then Willow's eyes turned to her, and for a brief second Orin thought she saw something change – but not figuratively, literally. It was as if her eyes flashed a different color, glittering in the light to green and then fading back to blue. What? Orin was dazzled for a moment, her mouth making a small O as she let go of Willow's hand, afraid for her sanity. She saw shadows and phenomena like this when... after... once upon a time.

Her troubles were forgotten as Willow spoke, and all at once some of the light faded from her eyes whilst a new hope blossomed. The woman wasn't saying yes, but she wasn't exactly saying no either. Orin had no idea whether or not the Soul believed her. Perhaps this was just some ploy to get away from the crazy woman, maybe she wouldn't really come back.

“No!” She shook her head vigorously, multicolored locks bouncing around her shoulders. “There's no time, in a moon's turn someone is bound to die! Look, he has a wife now, a wife who has even taken the Rhiannon name because she is so devoted to him. She is my pack sister. She looked after me when I was pregnant with my children and they live now thanks to her medicine. But I'm afraid I can't do the same for her. I can't open her eyes! She won't listen to me, she just believes her mate's claims of innocence.

“She's pregnant. She's due... who knows, any day! The babies grow strong and quickly in her belly, and with each kick in her womb my chances grow thinner... their chances grow thinner. I try but I know I won't be able to be there to protect them after they are born. They all think I'm just paranoid... that I'm crazy... They don't say it to my face but I'm not stupid, I know they do. My alpha already orders me away from them, and no doubt she'll keep me away after the puppies are born. They'll have little time.”

A name she spoke then seemed to startle her. Noah... he was the one who had told her the truth about Tal's paternity to begin with. She couldn't help but say, “I don't know if you have seen him now, but Noah has paid a great price. Maybe it is the price for how he wronged you. He was the first to expose Taliesin's lies. And now you're here... it's like some force is uniting you, those who were wronged by that beast... it's time for justice. Either now, or by the time he does something to make them see, it'll be too late.”

((wc 538))
She listened to Orin's impassioned words, a hand floating to her mouth to cover her dismay. Taliesin was expecting with his mate, a mate who had taken his name and stayed with him despite the sins of his son, her nephew. She stared at Orin, the horror and dismay she felt reading clearly in her eyes. If she walked away, the lives of innocent puppies, her nieces and nephews, would be at stake. if she stayed?

She shook her head slowly. "I will return sooner then, but I'm not ready, I can't face him yet, I can't deal with this yet. I just left a pack that took care of me, that held me in high esteem. If I come barging in and proclaiming Taliesin's crimes, what fate would lie before me? let me think, let me make up my mind. I mean, I know what is right, to assist you in exposing him is right, but..."

"But he's my brother, the big brother who taught me to hunt, that taught me to read, that kept me away from Lucifer's hatred and wrath." She didn't speak that, but the way she stroked the raven feather in her mane revealed her uneasiness. "Let me digest this, and I will come back. Not in a moons time, but in a few days. I won't be far from here, not really. I just need to think. I knew he was evil, but... I wasn't expecting to ever see him again!"

Her last words held a note of a whine. "Stupid child." "I'm not a child, I just..." "You are an assassin, not a breeder, why are you acting so... ick." "He was my brother." "He killed Kira's daughter." "I know" "Then turn him in. Or kill him yourself, stupid." I didn't come here for that, I came to escape- " "Me? You're more of a fool than I even thought you were."

She internally winced. "Just a few days, Orin. I will come back and I will help you." She hoped the woman would understand.

((WC: 342))
Part of what Willow said alleviated her fears, yet created more anew. So, she would help her, she claimed. But not for a few days. Come back in a few days? How could she trust that? Her salvation might just walk off into the woods, change her mind, and never come back. It would be a tease to scald her soul for all eternity, and for a moment Orin could feel it burning. The fear within her veins, it was branding her heart. No! She couldn't go! She couldn't leave, not now! The desperation was obvious in her eyes, but there was nothing she could do to stop her.

“How do I know you'll come back?” She asked, making her voice as gentle as she could. It was raspy and thick with emotion, the words strained for her throat was tight and painful. She might just break down into body wracking sobs right there.

“Willow, I understand. Believe me, I understand how hard it has to be. I couldn't imagine if... if I had to testify something like that against my own brother. But just remember, you're the only one who can shed some truth on the matter. You won't have to say anything but the truth, and if they don't believe you then that's my burden to bear. You will be clean of any sin,” she swiped her hand with the word. “Just know that. Okay? You won't have to do anything other than tell the truth, the rest of the pieces will fall where they may.”

She took a step back, scratching anxiously at the back of her head with her claws for a moment before standing normally again. “If it's too hard to see him then I won't make you, either. If you just promise you will come back and tell my Capitana what you know... We can arrange a private meeting, and it can be on the borders if you don't think our lands are safe for you. But they would be, I will be your personal guardian while you're here. Just you, me, and my Capitana. She is an understanding leader, she will not shun you or hurt you. And if... and if you have a price? Just name it. I can more than compensate you for your time, your knowledge... just tell me, anything you want, and it's yours.”

((wc 399))
She lifted her chin as she listened to Orin, as she watched the woman. Her time reading the body language of other canines worked in her favor as she watched, her mind almost clinically detached. Orin was anxious, worried, scared. She was hopeful and excited, and trying to keep herself from begging. Or at least that was how it seemed to the Soul bred female. Blue eyes watched carefully, her fingers stilling on the feather for a moment.

After a silent moment, she spoke. "I swear I will come back, Orin. I will come back and I will speak the truth. I'm not afraid of him, or of your leader. I'm not afraid of retaliation." She actually laughed then, and continued. "I have yet to meet anyone I'm actually afraid of, really." She sobered then, and continued. I will come back, and I will help you reveal the truth. I swear it by the light of Rhiannon."[/b]

That was the most solemn oath she could swear. She had lost the right to swear by Odadio's ravens when she'd left Catalyst, but swearing on Rhiannon's name was a very solemn vow, one she would never break lightly or easily. She touched the raven feather again, wishing for a moment she had never left Catalyst. And yet, she was glad in a way, glad to get away from the demons and the darkness, of the lies and the backstabbers.

((WC:237))
The woman was courageous, and something in her voice proved to Orin that she could trust her. Willow would do everything in her power to return to Orin and see that the true story of Taliesin was told. Orin didn’t know how she could sit on this information in the mean time, but the glimmer of hope that it promised perhaps would stitch the wound long enough for her to remain silent and patient. This delicate matter would take the last of her patience, but in the end alas Taliesin would finally see justice served. Perhaps d’Arte would even see it fit to hunt down that murderer, Liam, and tear him to pieces like the worthless dog that he was.

“Thank you, Willow,” she said, her words dripping with genuine gratitude. “Thank you, you don’t know what this means to me. I’m forever in your debt.” She bowed her head formally, in thanks of Willow’s promise.

An ear twitched when she swore by the light of Rhiannon. That name, it was the name Taliesin had adopted and now soiled. He was smearing filth on the title of Rhiannon. When Willow spoke it, though the name at first conjured images of the white savage, she soon knew that it was not Taliesin but the deity that they believed in upon which Willow swore her oath. There was still light in Rhiannon yet, and it was not about to give in to the evil that tried to destroy the name. The light shone through Willow, and for a moment Orin could see heavenly rays twist through the trees behind Willow as if the angels were dancing there.

She managed to pull her eyes and her thoughts away from the tree line long enough to focus on Willow again. “Alright, but please be careful. There’s a murderer in these woods, and if they find out that you are here to speak out against them surely they will come for you. I will create a diversion in the mean time… I’ll try to keep the focus on myself. I will distract Taliesin and hopefully he won’t be able to get any commands to his son until your return.”

“If anything should go wrong while your within earshot of our borders, just call for me and I will be there as swift as light.” With that she bowed low, ever thankful for the woman’s pledge to make their future safer. She would let her take leave without pressing her further about it, trusting that in a few days’ time she would surely return.

((wc 428))