Nightquest
OOC: No table cuz I'm at work and it's easier for me without it. XD This will be set about two days after Kol was accepted into Dahlia, and since she was actually accepted OUTSIDE the packlands by Cer near Twilight Vale, I've made it so she only flitted over there that night to familiarize herself with where DDM is. The remainder of her time has been spent exploring, mostly around the bay until today. So she knows nothing of the war with Inferni at this point, and shouldn't really smell like Dahlia, at least not more than someone spending time NEAR the packlands would. Also, since I already said that she finds out about the Inferni conflict directly before her scouting mission with Haku, would it be alright if any mention of the two packs is left out here? ^^ Much love for my Zero! *glomps*

[html]
What a night. The sun had set hours ago, bringing the somewhat humid and sticky day to a fitting close. The night, however, was far cooler and full of the life that the muggy day had tried to subdue. Kol stood beneath the green towers of the forest, which in turn stood beneath a beautiful and cloudless midnight sky. The silvery moon, known to Kol's family as the Packmother, gazed down at her children in a sideways smile that illuminated everything she touched. Countless numbers of stars sparkled down between the enormous leaves that sheltered the forest, and the Stormbringer girl sighed happily beneath them. Night was her supreme element, and not just because her dark coat for which she was named made her a seemless part of that night. The young shewolf just loved the dark, the moon, the quiet stillness that was at the same time so full of animated life. The sweet taste of the nightwind filled her lungs with a joy unmatched by much else, and her violet eyes seemed more alive beneath the moon. The female wasn't exactly nocturnal; she spent just as much time in daylight as in darkness, but the cool nights were far easier on her black fur than the bright, suffocating sunlight.

With the onset of night came a calmness the girl could never reach during the day. It was in those shadowed hours that she felt completely at peace with herself, content to simply exist and let her mind wander. Tonight her thoughts were on her family, and how sad her grandfather would be when he knew of the fate of his old homeland. Then again, perhaps he wouldn't be as sad as she thought. After all, he'd come to establish a strong family and respected pack with his mate Surind, and it would hardly seem that echoes of his past could shake that happiness and accomplishment from his mind. The same was probably true for her distant grandaunt and uncle as well, for the two of them had done the same with their lives. It was the way things flowed. The only thing constant in life is change.

Kol had spent most of the past two days on the shores of the Bay of Fundy, but earlier in the afternoon her recently wounded shoulder had started to throb and burn up a bit. Knowing she couldn't clean the injuries in the waters of the bay, the ebony female had turned her feet to the southeast, heading farther inland in search of the lake at the southern end of the Arachnea territory. The salty taste of the ocean still clung to her fur as she loped along through the forest, its distinct scent mingling with her own as she made her way deeper into the woods. Ignoring her throbbing shoulder for most of the way, the girl's good spirits began drawing a tune from her throat, and she hummed softly as she walked, ears twitching this way and that for signs of any large non-deerlike animals that might be in the territory. Her shoulder bore the marks of a bear already, she didn't need to accidentally happen upon something else in a foul mood. The night was too serene for senseless bloodshed.
[/html]
[html]

!@#$%In the true spirit of his rebellious nature, Anselm refused to be controlled by the sun, moon, or weather. He followed his own agenda, and sometimes that meant he had to be up at night, while other times it meant he'd be on the prowl during the day. He could hunt or stalk just as effectively without the cover of darkness, but he also knew how to rely more strongly on his other senses when visibility was reduced. He had battled through thick fog before, in pounding rain, and under the harsh midday sun. It made him more well rounded, and it taught him to rely on himself--not the presence or lack thereof of light, or the convenience of fair weather.

!@#$%This night he was scouting, although that was nothing unusual. He circuited around Inferni's borders at least three to five times a day, and he liked to poke around in the surrounding territories as well. He'd be damned if he wasn't the first to know about suspicious activity or encroaching neighbours. Fortunately, nothing seemed too out of the ordinary tonight. Everything was silent, save the insects, and little moved other than the fireflies that danced around in the night. He trotted along quickly but quietly, ears erect and generally alert.
!@#$%He knew she was there long before he saw her. The scent was mostly a mixture of salt and oestrogen, and the soft sound of her humming was hushed and serene. Weaving his way between towering trunks and ducking under low hanging branches, he kept his eyes peeled as he searched for the mystery wolf. A boulder up ahead became his perch, as he sprung into the air and landed lightly on it. His tail flicked behind him as he twirled about on it with a surprising amount of grace, and he stopped, one paw raised, as he finally caught the moonlight shining off of her dark fur. He put his paw down and took a seat, still silent, still watching. What could she be up to?
[/html]
OOC: Lol, what is it with everyone Kol meets never TALKING to her outright? XDDD

[html]

As Kol continued her enojoyable nightly stroll through the forest of Archnea's Revenge, she was suddenly struck with the unpleasant tingling between her shoulder blades that told her someone was watching her. Her humming ceased, and her steps slowed to a silent pause, ebony ears twitching. She breathed in the cool night wind, but whoever was watching her must have been downwind of her, for nothing new met her nose. When she turned to glance over her shoulder, a brow raised as she found a large, tawny form sitting atop a rather large boulder. She hadn't even heard him, how in the hell had he gotten up there so quietly? It was rare to find someone with a large build able to mimic the stealth of a cat, and Kol had to admit she was slightly impressed, however on edge the male's sudden materialization had put her.

A bit annoyed at being watched yet again by a seemingly cat-got-your-tongue kind of male, Kol turned to face the strange male. "Evening. I assume I'm providing you with some sort of amusement? Or is there some other reason you're simply staring at me?" Needless to say, Kol was all well and fine with polite manners when the situation was pleasant, but she was quite sick of having people just stare and watch her without saying a bloody word. What the hell was it about these lands that made them do it? Everyone was so completely reclusive and introverted, how the hell did anything important ever get done? It was no wonder there was a definite feeling of tension in the air, and the young girl knew absolutely nothing about any of the packs yet.

Table by Tay

[/html]
[html]
Can't say for everyone else, Anselm is just antisocial and weird. Tongue

!@#$%She sensed his presence, and he sensed her sensing this. One ear flicked casually as she paused and turned about to face him--there was no sense in trying to hide. He stuck out like a sore thumb up on top of his boulder, especially with his fur glowing reddish gold in the moonlight. Even as she addressed him, he remained silent and seated neatly. Her mini-tirade aroused little interest in him; as far as he was concerned, she was the one behaving strangely. It didn't make sense to talk to strangers unless you had a good question to ask or something important to say. He didn't know her and he doubted she had any information for him, so why would he talk to her? Did it not make sense to let her go along her way in peace?

!@#$%He glanced down at her pointedly with garnet eyes. "Is there some reason you find it fit to approach total strangers in the night?" he asked, tone low--but not aggressive or foreboding. It was something of a serious question. Did she not recognise his scent? These days, that seemed to be enough to put others on edge--or at the very least, it was enough to make them glad when he went about minding his own business. "And shit, I thought it was a crime to touch, not look." She would have to be content with these answers, for he didn't particularly care to elaborate any further. She was rather petite and extremely feminine--in some ways she reminded him of Poe, except much younger. Maybe it was a compliment.
!@#$%Regardless, she certainly didn't seem to be a threat, although he still couldn't comprehend her forwardness. She seemed a little annoyed, but he couldn't help but not take her too seriously. It was nothing against her in particular, of course--it was rare that he took anybody outside of Inferni or his own family seriously. For now, he remained on his perch, obviously not too concerned with doing the polite thing and joining her on the same level. Why bother? What did she want?
[/html]
OOC: x.x Ugh I'm SO sorry hon.

[html]
The dark girl simply stared at the stranger for a moment following his words. He had a point, and sighed heavily as she let her tension go. Kol was still wary of the tawny male, but she was far enough away that she felt she could afford to take her sore muscles off red alert, and she quite honestly felt bad for her attitude. "You're right, I apologize. It just seems to me that ever since I got here, all anyone does is stare and keep their mouths shut. I can understand glancing at someone and leaving them be, but it annoys the hell out of me when someone instead just sits there and stares. The feeling of being watched is just slightly unnerving. Unless it's just me and I'm odd to feel that way." She raised a brow at the stranger, knowing for a fact that she wasn't the only one alive that hated the feeling of being watched.

The female's eyes tightened ever so slightly as her angry shoulder complained again, but she ignored it for the most part. Instead, she focused on the stranger, noting his stature, his coat of mottled browns and golds, and his unnerving blood red eyes. It was an odd, but not unimpressive, combination and Kol found herself wondering just what his lineage was, exactly. She'd come across those of similar color before, but they were nearly universally mixed with something other than pure wolf at some point in their bloodline. Coyote by his scent, but she could be mistaken. Perhaps it was some breed of wild dog? Ah well, it didn't exactly matter for the moment, and quite honestly it was none of the new Dahlian's business anyway.
[/html]
[html]

--

Apologies. He was as used to receiving them as he was giving them--that was, not very. He almost never apologised for his own actions, because to him that was a sign of regret or weakness. He was more inclined to use the expression while addressing others in unfortunate situations, perhaps: Sorry your whole forest burned down; bummer. And as far as receiving them went, he usually figured he got what he deserved. He knew he could be a bit of an ass, and he honestly believed she'd done nothing wrong. While he might not confront someone at a distance directly, he'd damn well keep an eye on them, had their roles been reversed.
"You oughtn't doubt your instincts like that," he replied simply at the end of her little spiel. Rising delicately to all fours, he leapt down easily from the boulder some distance away from her. Landing in a crouch (as always, to absorb the impact), he stretched and straightened himself out quickly before pivoting to face her. "So how about that entertainment?" he wondered aloud, his tone far from suggestive. She had suggested it originally, and come to think of it, he was a little board. How creative would she be? Maybe she'd come up with some awesome adventure that would totally surprise him and blow him away. He was ready.
[/html]