When the lights go out in tinsel town
[html]
ooc: I POSTZ HERE.

Don't make me change my mind.

It was common for her to be up this early, even before the sun had fully risen, tending to things around their packlands. Conri was able to get around much better than before, so she didn't have to do quite as much, but now it took her longer than usual. Weeding the garden, opening the doors to the older rooms so that they could get some air, opening windows...a few of those tasks were nearly impossible in this form.

The unshifted female had been on her way to Dahlia de Mai, to give them a supply of herbs, when she had come across a peculiar scent. To her knowledge, there were no packs in between her Twilight Vale and the pack led by Haku and Cercelee, so it came as a surprise. She didn't know if this was a group of leftovers from the fire, or maybe some wolves who had just met up and decided to do this, but either way it was worth investigating. She could bring the news back to Conri.

Light colored wolf stopped when she reached the border, the area where all of the scents were the strongest. They were a new pack, so someone would probably be coming around to mark the borders again soon. Maybe they would have some information.

[/html]
[html]
Truth be told, Laurel was heading towards the borders but not to mark them. In fact, he had spend the earlier portion of the day out fishing and was returning; his newly discovered fishing pole was in one hand and a line of fish stringed by hooks in the other. Tonight he was quite sure that his merry little band would have fish to eat and they could probably figure out how to cook it on their own if they wanted to. Being a coyote, he was used to making do with whatever he got his hands on, be it some carcass left behind or the plentiful fish found in the rushing streams. Just like the ones that ran south into the hills before Twilight Vale, he had spent a little time picking out a not-so-far fishing hole other than the lake.

As he crested a hill and started to pick through the fringes of the forest, his olive-tinted eyes caught sight of someone up ahead of him. Not just anyone, someone who wasn't shifted and eventually from the looks of things, not all that far away from bringing the next generation into the world. She was alone, just about as pristine white as they came and from the neighbouring pack to the south by the smells that hung in the muggy air. “Hello,” he singsonged from a bit of a distance, not wanting to sneak up on her, “and what brings you to the doorstep of the Hollow today? Business or pleasure?” Stepping around her and through the tall grass with ease, Laurel glanced down at her as though she were a very sincere and good friend.
[/html]
[html]
ooc: I was gonna make Nani's in a different spot, but figured it would be good to fill up EH's forum Big GrinBig Grin

It had been a while since she had met a coyote that was friendly, so she eyed him with curiousity. Naniko was naturally a very laid back and trusting wolf, and if someone was kind to her she remembered it. She wasn't against coyotes at all, really, only the ones who wanted to come to her packlands and cause trouble. She'd feel the same if the offenders were wolves, bears...wildcats.

"Maybe a little bit of both. I was going to walk right through before I realized that there was a pack here, so I figured I should stop and introduce myself" She'd been on business before she'd stopped, though. "I was headed to the North, to Dahlia de Mai. That's a good catch you've got there."

[/html]
[html]
Dahlia de Mai, so that was the name of the place to the north. Laurel hadn't ventured too far in that direction, but there were some pretty well travelled paths going in that direction. He nodded passively at her words, smiling again when she mentioned his catch. “I really caught more than enough for the five of us here… want one?” Gently swinging the line to hang between them, he offered her to pick out one of them, not really caring if she took the best or the worst one of the bunch. To Laurel, there really wasn't much of a different between any of them. Fish was a fish was a fish were a fish, a tasty fish.

“Anyway, you're not the first one who's noticed that there's something here now. We're a little band of gypsies, more or less, but I guess we're a bit of a pack too since we're sitting around. We've called this place Esper Hollow.” And for as foggy as it got from time to time and the thick shade and cover of the trees, one may have been inclined to think that espers really did live in there. Maybe they did, but Laurel didn't think anyone possessed some ESP powers. “My name's Laurel,” he then offered, “and I could show you around if you want. At least get you through the area faster so you can continue to the north.”
[/html]
[html]
ooc:

He really was a gentleman. Laurel was treating her exactly like she treated those who came to her pack's borders. Right now they were neutral with Inferni, each keeping away from each others' borders...so she hadn't even seen a coyote, much less a shifted one, in some time now. Maybe some of her perceptions about them were wrong. She wondered where he'd come from, if he'd lived here before or if he had come from lands far away.

"Sure! I can't keep anything else down--what good fortune that it was fish you caught. You use a rod, too, I see--I used to have one myself, but it was lost in the fire. I've been looking through Halifax for one...but no luck so far." At the offer she stepped forward, nodding. "I'm Naniko D'angelo, from the pack South of here, Twilight Vale. My adopted sister lives in Dahlia de Mai, and I was going to see if she wanted any more medical supplies. Ember's still young, and I want to make sure she's using clean things to dress her shoulder with. Sometimes the young ones forget." She didn't want to mention that Ember had recieved those injuries from a coyote; that might be offensive. Instead, she moved onto a more neutral topic. "Did you come here from a land far away? Or maybe you already lived here?"

[/html]
[html]
She certainly had a lot to stay, though it didn't make much of a difference to Laurel. He enjoyed conversation just as much as he enjoyed entertaining; there were few times when he didn't want one or the other. His laid-back personality often revealed a very chatty conversationalist and when given the chance, he could have easily talked all four legs and the tail right off of Naniko. Of course, when it came to the things that she talked about, there were many things of interest that sprang at him. For instance, this fire she spoke of. He started with what she asked him first, leaving mentioning finding a rod for her for later.

“No, I'm not from around here and neither are some of my companions. Like I said, we're kind of a band of gypsies so we've moved around a lot. I'm not sure I could tell you where exactly I originated from because I've spent more of my life on the road than in one place. Anyway, I came here with a friend, ran into someone I met on the road some time back and we decided to gather our stuff and settle here.” With that out of the way, he started to lead the way into the thick of the fog and wood. “Dunno how long we'll stick together or be around, but who knows. What about yourself? Where'd this fire you mentioned happen at?”
[/html]
[html]
ooc: Naniko = Kitty from That 70's show. :o

"Me?" She seemed surprised that he'd asked. Most people didn't really care where she'd come from, or already knew. She'd just told Savina about her past a little bit a few days before, and found it surprisingly easy to bring the memories back up. She'd lost her memories for a few months as a child, after a bad fall, but they'd slowly come back over time. It still delighted her that she could bring them up when she needed to.

"I was born in a land called Chimera about two years ago. I lived in a pack known as Clouded Tears for a year and a half, and then the fires came. They were in the old lands, across the mountain. I dunno what started them...or who...but I lost my sister and a few others in it. One of her kids still lives with me and my mate in our packlands. But...I met up with Conri and we started Twilight Vale after the fire with a few of our friends. So...kind of the same story, I guess!"

Naniko was pleased with the conversation, the talk coming easily. "Is your entire family like you? Gypsies?"

[/html]
Lol @ signature. XD
[html]
Now her story on the other hand fascinated him, because she had been more or less sedentary up until the fire had moved her along to, well, here. Wherever that was he didn't know, other than it being outside of some city called Halifax. Geography had never stuck with Laurel very well, who wasn't even able to recall the exact place where he had been form. For the same reason, he had never gone back because he couldn't remember just where it was. It was easy to conjure up the pictures of memories and fixtures, but he had been to at least ten or fifteen other places that were more or less akin to it. “Sounds crazy, but I'm glad that you're okay and so are some of the others.” He didn't dabble on the notion of her sister, though she did seem to be past grieving.

“And no, my family aren't too much of the type to be wandering around. Us coyotes… we're pretty much solitary, but we stick close to one another. Family means a lot, most of the time. It's just that since I was able enough to stand on my own two feet and run wild across the countryside, I did and never went home.” So in other words, he had been at this travelling business for quite a long time. “I guess I broke all of the rules, pretty much. I haven't seen any of them in over four years and they haven't tried to come and suss me out either.” He laughed then, shaking his head because he really wasn't a bother. They had let him live his life without regrets and that was exactly how he lived it. But now, they were approaching the camp site and he simply gestured broadly at it.

“And this is home sweet home, for now.”
[/html]
[html]
Sorry for taking so long D: <3

It wasn't often that she found someone who she could converse with this easily, and it thrilled her. Naniko thrived on conversation, be it from someone old, someone young, male, female...it didn't matter. She really liked hearing about different areas, too, and this brand new pack held a high amount of curiousity for the two year old. She wanted to know how they'd gotten their start.

"I've never had such a long conversation with a coyote before. I...don't mean to be labelling you like that, with the others that live in these territories, though. You're not from around here...and I expect the things I've experienced with the coyotes here wouldn't apply to you." She looked at him apologetically. "Thanks. It's a new start for us all. I know what you mean, with not seeing a lot of your family. My parents took off when I was a pup...they haven't really tried to contact me, either. It's probably better this way, though, no interferance."

It was easier not to miss what she'd never really had to begin with. She had hoped that her parents might come back in time for her pups' birth, some small, irrational hope, but she knew it was a lost cause. "This seems like a pretty good place for a pack to settle down"

[/html]
Not a problem, don't feel bad. Tongue *also ended up singing that coldplay song in your table!*

[html]
Quirking a brow at the mention of other coyotes, he decided not to really delve into that topic. Laurel knew about the whole species prejudice; he'd faced it before. But for every face that didn't like him, he had always met another who did. Maybe he believed firmly in the Golden Rule; maybe he was just species-blind. Coyotes, wolves, to him it didn't make any difference. “I've met my share of wolves and coyotes who frown at things. It happens. It's life,” and he didn't expect it to stop any time soon either. That being said, he often found it was easier to be fair and helpful to either side.

With that out of the way, he peered about the camp site as though he expected to find anyone else around (and didn't, which figured) and smiled faintly. “And you'd be right about this place being a good place to settle. Just enough room for our little set ups with some room to grow… plus we've kind of coveted this little lake on the east side too. I kind of hope no one was using it on a regular basis because it's ours now,” he laughed, shaking his head. “It does look a little messy right now with Laurie's little shack thing there and all of our stuff lying around; Nikita and I are the tent dwellers around here.” To which, he pointed and gestured as he went along.
[/html]
[html]
:3 "Clocks"! I love it.

How did one define good and evil nowadays anyway? She had cheated on her mate; maybe that made her just as bad. There were some coyotes who hadn't ever done a thing wrong in their lives, who had just been born into the wrong place...in the middle of a feud. It wasn't their fault. But she couldn't allow them to come near Twilight Vale...not even the nice ones. If they belonged to Inferni, they weren't welcomed.

"Laurie?" She asked, curious. Was it a nickname? "In Twilight Vale we have a house, a really big one. And a lake. Did you guys take the lake around here? I have a couple of fishing nets back home...maybe I can come by again with one of them. A pack-warming gift."

[/html]
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t2.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

“Laurent Nakado, we call him Laurie for short,” he said when she piped up about him. Perhaps fortunately for him, he didn't have a nickname because it was a little hard to make a nickname out of the name Laurel. He mostly liked it that way, though there were a few ways to butcher up his name to get something halfway out of the picture. “And yeah, we took the lake that's around here. A net would be a big help and maybe I'll be able to rustle up another pole that I could give you in exchange. To replace the one you lost.” Offering up a smile to her, he pressed out through the camp and towards the north where part of the lake was and they would skirt by.

[/html]
[html]
WE SHOULD END THIS ONE.

She was glad to hear that he'd like to exchange things. It was the first step to better bonds between packs, really. They lived in different manners, with different lifestyles, but both enjoyed fishing...some common ground. They were making their way to the border of the territory and when they reached it she turned back to him. "I've got to get these to Dahlia de Mai. You should come by Twilight Vale sometime, definitely. We love visitors."

[/html]