Comes all the way back around
[html]
Set directly after the fight thread with Firefly, which is http://www.bleeding-souls.com/ipb/index.php?viewtopic.php?t=2720 right there Big Grin Maybe Laurel can try and help her in some way, and calm her down a little bit. It'd be a little after sunset.

She didn't know where she was running to, only that she knew she couldn't stop. If she stopped then she was sure that Firefly would be right there behind her, though she hadn't looked back the entire way. Ember didn't know how it all had started...where their hatred for each other had come from. Probably from jealousy. But this was the result of it. She didn't want to go back to Dahlia de Mai, not ever...she wanted to be as far away from it as she could be.

The injured wolf clutched her forearm as she ran, trying to keep from shaking it too much. It hurt so badly, pain in waves that made her feel like she was going to throw up, but she didn't stop running. When she finally did collapse, going immediately from her feet to her knees and then to the ground, she could barely feel the ache any more. Blood dripped from several areas on her body, her broken arm, her leg, and from the old wound that Hybrid had given her on her shoulder. She wanted to get up...she could smell others nearby...but she couldn't get herself to move.

[/html]
I really got carried away here and I don't know why. :|||
[html]
The hour, by all means to a bunch of early risers, was late. The sun had just sank beneath the ocean just as stealthily as it had risen, but Laurel wasn't finding himself being tired just yet. He lingered around the camp fire as the last of the log started to burn out, his thumb rubbing against his lip in idle thought. It was nice again to have that feeling where he was just a permanent fixture in the world, not going anywhere and not doing anything. Simply existing, living free of the ties that no doubt bound him to the very ground. Seized between a couple of fingers on the hand closest to his face was an old cigarette, crooked as hell but not lit. Not yet. When the fire was nearly out, he picked that very moment to act like he hadn't realised it and bent forward over his legs, catching the last flame to light it effortlessly.

Then all that was left was the bitter taste in his mouth and the smell of smoke dwindling with the breeze. It was a cool night, but it just as humid as could be. With the afternoon always wanting to rain just a little bit, everything was soggy and wet. The ground (which didn't bother him much), the trees, even the very equipment stored away inside of shacks and tents had a feeling about them that was slick. But there was no way to beat it, this he knew as he rose from his seated position to meander about the territory. Towards the outskirts of the north border, the branches parted just enough to give him glimpses of the night sky in its full glory. It was standing out there when things seemed to really fall into place. But there was a taint in the air tonight, he could smell it through the smoke.

Then it really dawned on him what the very smell was: blood. Without even thinking about it, he could taste it in his mouth and it heightened his awareness to the area around him. His breathing nearly paused as he turned his ears to listen, letting his eyes take in the dim world around him to not very much at all. Nothing sprang out as the ultimate cause, however, his nose told him otherwise. There was something out there, something that had gone and bled all over the ground for one reason or another. So he ventured outward, nary a thought in his head other than finding the source of such a smell. The tall grass didn't slow his progressive search, but it did make it rather difficult to pick something out of the dark. Even if canines could see in the dark, it was limited.

(Un)fortunately for him, he managed to make out a dark shape lying prostrate and by then the smell of blood was possibly the most dominant thing around. Laurel's next set of steps were quick-paced as he dropped to the dark-haired wolf's side, drawing in the sight of her and assessing what he could of her wounds. She seemed hardly with it, leaving him to mentally swear at the timing of it all. “What happened?” he asked with that same sense of urgency in his eyes, his eyes settling in on her broken arm as the major injury to her body. He only knew a thing or two about what to do when someone was injured, but this wasn't a snakebite or food poisoning. So he did what came to mind next; he wordlessly started to gather things around him to make a tourniquet.
[/html]
[html]
IT'S BECAUSE I'M COOL.

The grass was tickling her nose as she inhaled and exhaled, her breath coming in short gasps. She hadn't realized how far she'd really gone, having run almost the entire way, and now her body was completely sapped of energy. Ember didn't like feeling vunerable, didn't like laying sprawled out on the ground for just anyone to find. Very suddenly, she thought of Khaden. Maybe he would come. Maybe somehow he would know that she was here, and he'd come and get her. He was her best friend...her only friend, really.

But that was silly. Of course he wouldn't come--he was probably back home in Twilight Vale, where he belonged. No one was coming. Seconds felt like hours as she lay there, trying to catch her breath. After she got a hold of her breathing she would try rising again, if she could. Even the thought of it made her legs ache all the worse, though. Maybe she'd wait until morning...and just sleep her. Yes, sleep sounded good.

"Hmmm?" Someone was next to her, asking her questions. She frowned, trying to come up with an answer. What had happened? "Ohhhhh...My sister..she...I...we don't get along"

[/html]
[html]
A tired response was never good, but maybe he was making everything out worse than it seemed. Still, a lot of blood around didn't exactly rest easy with Laurel, it couldn't have been a good sign. No, it simply wasn't a good sign and his stomach felt like turning inside out at the thought of how once daylight came some odd handful of hours later, this area would look a mess. At least until the rain washed it all away. His hands moved just as quickly when it came to weaving as they did when he moved through a complex set of chords. A strong tourniquet made from grass would only do so much and only last so long, but he figured it would spare enough time for him to find some sort of replacement. A cloth of some sort, a rag, anything that would be a better fit.

“I'm going to help you, but I want you to keep talking to me,” if only it meant to give him peace of mind. “Where are you from?” Careful not to bump her broken arm, he threaded one end of the tourniquet behind her arm and grasped it when it wandered into view again, pulling it around. “What's your name?” From there he started to fasten it, pulling it tight as he could without fear of breaking the closely woven strands. Once he got her to stop bleeding like there was no tomorrow (which in her case there may have not anyway), Laurel figured maybe he could try and move her somewhere. Being out there in the open wasn't really in his best interest if her sister had attacked her.[/html]
[html]

"I'm never going back there." Never ever. Even now things kept replaying her head, over and over again, taunting her. She couldn't believe that Firefly had slept with the one wolf she'd actually cared a little about. Lubomir had been her instructor...her caregiver, a sort of second father to her. He was more than twice her age! But Firefly hadn't cared. She'd probably even known that Ember was close to him.

"I can't..keep talking. It makes me un-sleepy...why am I laying down?" Where was she, even? She'd thought that maybe she had reached Twilight Vale...but no, it hadn't been that much of a run. "Where is this? I lived...in Dahlia de Mai" Her name wasn't really important, but if he really wanted to know.."I'm Ember. Who're you?"

[/html]
[html]
“If you go to sleep, you might not wake up,” he said, wondering if that would bring her back to what was going on. It probably wouldn't he thought afterwards, but it was worth a try. “My name is Laurel, and this place is called Esper Hollow. You're south of Dahlia de Mai,” and hopefully south enough not to have been followed. He didn't know the exact details of this supposed fight between siblings, but he reckoned if her sibling could break an arm, she'd probably have no problem getting a good grip on Laurel in the state that he was in. For that reason, his ears did more listening than just to the girl's voice.

“I'm going to move you and take you further into our grounds. I think you might be a little safer there and I can do something better about your arm.” Like… getting it to stop bleeding a little more and maybe figuring out how in the hell to make a sling. He didn't want to wake up anyone else, though he almost considered calling for Nikita. Maybe once everything was settled down, he would. Getting his bearings as far as balance went, he slipped an arm behind her head (again watching the arm) and another behind her knees and lifted her as carefully ans gently as he could. Carrying her back wasn't an easy feat either, partially because he was trying to watch her and then watch where he was doing.
[/html]
[html]

She wasn't sure why he was being so nice to her. He could have done worse, could have taken advantage of her weakness to hurt her even more...but he wasn't. He was offering her his hospitality. What a strange concept it was to her.

Ember felt very suddenly chilly, and she shivered as she nodded. That was fine with her...to be inside the packlands. As long as they didn't mind. She hated being a burden, but there was nothing that she could do about it. It made her feel guilty that, yet again, someone was carrying her into their lands because she was too weak to get there herself.

The last time, though, it had been after the fight with Hybrid. That hadn't been her fault as much as this time was. She and Firefly had never gotten along...and when her sister had come back from her adventures in Ireland with their older brother, things had been strained.

"You don't have to take me very far...it'd be easier to run if you kept me near the border. If she comes. I could feel her breath at my back.."

[/html]
I'll prod Nikita to jump in now. <3~
[html]
He didn't say much of anything to her words, knowing that it would have been much easier to run without carrying some half-corpse all the way through the fog to the camp fire, but he wasn't just going to leave her out there. Not now, anyway. For once it seemed like the central part of the camp site were an hour away, but that was only because Laurel was taking his time, gingerly moving around at a pace he felt he could go without jostling poor Ember up all to hell. Eventually he did catch a wisp of the smoke and followed it in, finding the fire pit long before anything else came into his line of vision. Between the rocks that surrounded the pit and the logs that they occasionally used for seating was the place where he laid her down. He didn't know whether or not his companion was out cold for the night, but still called for her attention all the same. “Hey Niki! Come here!”

For now, he'd get that fire going so they'd be able to see.
[/html]
[html]
In her extremely rough and hopefully temporary shelter that mainly comprised of rocks, tree limbs, and a bunch of cut-up rain ponchos that she had found at a souvenir store in Halifax, Nikita had had trouble sleeping. It was probably still the newness of this place that hadn’t worn off yet, but something else seemed off. She had focused on her breathing, thinking of absolutely nothing else as her mind steadily shut down. She had been lightly sleeping for about an hour before she heard footsteps into camp. It registered dully in her mind, but not enough to wake her up. That was until Laurel called her, of course. Her olive eyes snapped open, hand suddenly at the knife that lie next to her. She clipped it to her belt and, still clutching the handle, rose out of her shelter.

She walked quickly to where Laurel was, dropping her hand from its place at her knife once she saw that they weren’t under any threat. At least, not yet. The girl that Laurel must have brought in certainly looked like a war victim. She was bleeding all over, and her arm looked twisted in a way that couldn’t be at all natural. “What happened?” she asked, not really knowing whether she was asking Laurel or the injured girl. Probably the former — it might not be exactly healthy for the wolf to start explaining right about now.
[/html]
[html]

"A...Ah..." He was being really careful, and for that she was grateful. It could have hurt a lot more if he'd been rougher in carrying her. She could see the ground beneath her as she went, but watching it move made her feel even more dizzy so she closed her eyes. She couldn't believe that he was helping her, or at least offering to. She didn't even know him.

The world stopped spinning, they stopped moving, and she opened her eyes to look up at him. Someone else was there, someone who she didn't know. "I don't...feel so good." She felt like she was going to throw up.

[/html]
Sorry about the short, not feeling good today. ._.

[html]
By the time he had managed to get the fire going again, Nikita had emerged from the surrounding darkness ready and on alert, just as he had expected. He assumed her question was directed at him, because the only thing Ember had spoken up about thereafter was not feeling very well and he could only imagine why that was. “I found her in a heap just a bit outside of the borders,” was the simple explanation, though he wasn't finished. “She says her name is Ember and that she's from some place called Dahlia de Mai and that she was attacked there.” He left out the part about it being her sibling that had apparently instigated most of the injures; it wasn't his place or anyone else's place to get involved in that. Looking down to meet Ember's gaze, he pressed out without much of a pause for questions. “You wouldn't happen to have anything lying around that we could make some sort of splint out of, do you? I think I've managed to get her arm to stop bleeding as bad but it still needs patching up.”
[/html]
[html]
Nikita’s face grew grim as she heard what Laurel had to say — accented with the girl’s plaintive comment that she wasn’t feeling all that great. That wasn’t hard to imagine at all, seeing as though she looked like she got run over by a truck. The worst injury was definitely her broken arm, which was covered in a casing of dried blood and twisted at an odd angle. It was painful just to look at. She nodded to Laurel’s request, and disappeared into her little shelter for a moment. She returned after a moment with a long, ragged piece of gray cloth in her hands. She held onto pieces like this just for things like this. Though her knowledge of any kind of first aid was barely rudimentary, she knew she’d be able to at least relieve some pressure on the broken arm. Gently — as gently as she could manage — he tried to wrap the make-shift splint around her shoulder and then around her arm. She flicked a glance between Laurel’s and Ember’s face before finishing. It would hurt — moving a broken bone at all did that — but she tried her hardest to get it in a semi-right position while suspending it in the splint. “We’ll get something more permanent later, perhaps. For right now…” she focused her gaze on Ember. “Do you need anything? Water?” If someone was bleeding, don’t you give them fluids? Or… oh, she didn’t know.
[/html]
[html]
Want to end soon? Big Grin

She felt like things were slipping away from her, going just beyond her grasp. She wanted to talk, to tell them what she needed, but she didn't know if she could stay awake long enough to tell her. She could feel pain through the haze, sharp pricks from her arm, some bigger than others, but couldn't open her mouth any more than just to pant.

She was slipping into unconciousness one little bit at a time, and she couldn't stay awake. "...I...so tired.."

[/html]
*pushes the thread towards a close*
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t3.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

With a splint secured and fastened, he felt a little bit better about the situation. For the most part, as he had bend to look her over in the light, any wound that had been bleeding had since ceased doing so and in generally didn't seem as bad as her arm had. “You should rest,” he said lightly when Ember spoke up, then turning to Nikita. “I can stay out here and keep an eye on her if you want to go back to sleep.” Of course, he wasn't going to object if she wanted to stay out there either, who knew what the rest of the night would bring. He didn't think Ember's attacker-sibling was going to show up any time soon, but there was always just as good of a chance that she would.

[/html]
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... sts/t4.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

The female coyote watched grimly as the girl’s light dimmed from her eyes, clouded with exhaustion and pain. It hurt her to see another in such a bad way, but she knew there was nothing she could do. Nikita was no medic, nurse, nor apothecary, and she was pretty sure Laurel didn’t know any more than she did. Maybe they’d get more professional help for her later but, as her co-leader suggested, sleep was the best option for the injured wolf at the moment. The thought of resting got Nikita’s lids heavy once more. She turned her gaze over to Laurel as he spoke, pondering over the offer. She would be no good to them without being well-rested… So she, somewhat grudgingly, said, “I’ve gotta get some sleep. But I’m just a call away if anything happens.” Of course he knew how light a sleeper she was. Nodding once, she walked over to her make-shift shelter, where she ducked under into and quickly fell into a fitful sleep.

[/html]