clouds overhead
Set in Shiloh Hills.[html]

SOMEWHERE THERE'S A CRACK IN THE SIDEWALK
BIGGER THAN THE SHADOW OF DEATH IN THIS TOWN

She had managed to travel the entire day without running into bad weather. The clouds overhead threatened rain all day, but only teased her with their dark expanses. Ten minutes after she passed in Shiloh Hills, the skies opened. It was dusk, and the sun was slowly creeping behind the hills. With the area only lightly forested, she wouldn’t be able to find much shelter.

The hybrid traveled with a large slouching bag slung over her shoulder, carrying any and all items that had ever had any value to her. She wore a simple plum dress – more of a sweater than anything – and traveled only with a forgotten past. Her mother had passed away and all Ryan was left with was a name. Anselm.

[/html]
[html]

hi! hope you don't mind me snatching this up!

The advancedness of the sickness was startling. Endymion hadn't expected it at all. Momentarily he had second guessed-himself, wondering if he could do anything for them, fearing failure. But his tenacity pushed him to action. Tending after the three was his main priority now, and he would do all he could to help them recover. A year ago he would have thrown himself completely and single-mindedly into the task, working obsessively to fix something he probably couldn't even dream of fixing. He had changed since then, but he was still committed to doing all he could.
Roaming the hills neighboring the Hollow, Endymion scouted for plants that would help alleviate the fever of those afflicted. A small sack was slung over his shoulder, half-full with a various assortment of herbs. A crease of worry was apparent over his brow as he wandered, his eyes fixed on the fertile ground. He was so distracted that he didn't notice the girl until the wind shifted, and he caught her scent abruptly. His head snapped up, glancing around momentarily before he saw her. The dress was unusual; not something he hadn't ever seen before, but definitely not something he had seen a lot of. It was obvious she was a traveler by the bag over her shoulder. Maybe she was going to join Esper Hollow. They weren't that far away from the borders. "Hi," he called out, brushing the hair out of his eyes.

[/html]
The internet on my computer died, so I'm posting from my phone! :x Thanks for joining.[html]

The rain came down in a soft mist and Ryan pushed her damp bangs out of her eyes as she searched the area for a place of refuge. She hadn't come across anyone in a few days so she wasn't entirely sure just where she was. If someone did happen by, Ryan hoped they wouldn't be hostile. Infact, she hoped that they may even point her in the direction of a place to spend the night.

She dropped her bag to the ground, grimacing to the fact that she knew her back would get damp. She pulled out a scarf and wrapped it around her hair with the hope that it might keep her head a little dry.

When she heard a voice, Ryan looked up to discover a stranger. His words seemed fairly friendly in demeanor so she decided to offer a smile in return. "Hi there." She turned her head thinking she might catch the scent of a pack near by. But no... nothing yet. "I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of some shelter for the night?"

[/html]
[html]

you're welcome! 100 POSTS. baaaallin'.

Until water dripped from his forehead into his eyes, Endymion didn't notice it was raining. There had been so much of it lately he had gotten used to it. Shifting his sack from his shoulder to between his arms in an attempt to keep it dry (though it didn't really matter either way), the wolf returned the girl's friendly smile with one of his own. He liked friendly people. It was a rather simple thing, but he didn't care.
"Ah," he said at the mention of shelter. They would need it pretty soon. "I can lead you there. I—" He paused then, suddenly unsure. Though Laurel had received him with an almost open-border policy, Endymion didn't know if that went for everyone. But then again, the girl was young and wouldn't cause any damage if she tried to. He smiled again. "I live in the forest just north of here. We have tents you're welcome to use if you'd like." His own tent was set up just a few yards away from the shack.

[/html]
[html]

Ryan picked up her bag from the ground and easily slung it over her shoulder. Just as she suspected, the bottom of it had gotten damp (not to mention the rest of it as well). Inside wasn't much - her sewing supplies, bundles of fabric, a bracelet from her mother, and anything else she had owned previously. The bag itself had been one of her first attempts at sewing and served as a sort of tote bag. She had even sewn in an extra pouch inside where she stored her other outfits.

She was glad to find him so welcoming and a smile was greatly appreciated after her lonely trek. She pushed some of the bangs out of her red colored eyes once more and nodded. "Sure, that would be great... if you don't mind." She was eager to get of the rain and rest her body for the night. "My name is Ryan, by the way," she offered.

[/html]
[html]

sorry for the wait!

With a nod, he turned to the north and began walking. "I'm Endymion," he threw over his shoulder. "Nice to meet you." For a while they walked in silence as the rain picked up and the outline of the forest became apparent on the gray horizon. A sense of peace fell over the red wolf, and he felt that if he didn't have Ryan to take care of, he would have walked slowly, aimlessly, soaking up the rain. But, he was equally content to help out the young lady. Endymion was a benevolent creature by nature, even though he denied it at times.
He glanced at his companion, offering another smile. "So, where are you from?" Her bag had given her away, along with her want for shelter. There weren't many clothed people around, either, and even then they had come from some place else. He had tried clothes a few times before, but they just didn't do it for him. To each his (or her) own.
[/html]
No worries! [html]

Endymion. She liked the way his name felt in her mouth, and she slowly breathed it a few times as he led her towards Esper Hollow. She was grateful to find such hospitality in a stranger like this, and suddenly, she didn’t mind walking in the rain as much. Perhaps it was because she finally had a sense of companionship, even if it was only going to last until they reached the tent. After days upon days of traveling alone, any sort of socialization was welcome.

"South of here, I guess. No where in particular. My mom and I have been travelers all our lives – always moving." She told him, though she wasn’t entirely sure why she kept up with that practice now. It felt almost as if they were running from something, but Ryan wasn’t sure what. Maybe she was too. Or running to something. "This is a beautiful area," she offered, enjoying the silence, but hoping to drag something else out of this stranger.

[/html]
[html]

Endymion had a knack for sorting out the good from the bad, and this girl seemed to him like a pretty nice person. The wolf was easy to make friends with, as long as the potential-friend in question was a decent individual and was someone he could get along with. He ended up being nice to everyone, though, and usually let people get away with more than they should. He'd begun to change, however, during his stay away from his home; he had learned to fight a little (while earning scars to prove it) and became a little more insightful to the ways and thoughts of evil creatures. In his eyes, he was on his way to being more worthy to protect his family. What little he had left, anyway.
"I tried traveling once," he stated, wiping water out of his eyes. "I learned a lot, but I also realized that my place was here." On Ashen Mountain, really, but there wasn't anything there anymore, and he didn't feel like explaining the whole story to her. Later, maybe, when he had time to relax and think about something other than the sick men in Esper Hollow. Having this opportunity to talk to Ryan, though, did calm him somewhat. Gave him a peek back into reality and health. Endymion fell silent again, watching his feet sinking into the soggy earth. At the mention of its beauty, he looked up, glancing around at the scenery, and then at the younger girl.
"Isn't it?" he breathed, pale eyes alight. "You should see the rest. Sometimes I wonder if it's as beautiful overseas as it is here." Maybe one day, or in a next life, he would find out. They were at the beginning of the forest now, and Endymion didn't break stride as he entered it, though he was still aiming to keep Ryan beside him. He knew how awkward it was to walk with someone behind you. Or, even moreso, in front of you.
[/html]
[html]

She envied him slightly, but only because of what he had said. She wished that there was an absolute place that she knew she belonged at. But so far, there was nothing. It was a strange life – being a traveler – and Ryan had started to become weary of it. Without her mother to point them in whatever direction they were headed to, Ryan felt lost as she set off on her own. Soon enough, hopefully, she would find a fairly decent place to stick around. If not permanently, hopefully for a few months or so. Some familiarity would be a nice change of pace.

Her body was almost drenched now, and she pushed her hair out of her face, sending its lengths over her shoulders to fall on her back. The fabric of her dress clung to her body, making the skirt cling to her thighs as if they were shorts instead. "I bet it is even lovelier in the daylight," she added, following him as they entered the forest. She managed to keep her pace with his, striding alongside him, and keeping an eye out for those tents he mentioned. "What do you call this area?" She asked, hoping it might give her some bearings on how far she had traveled, even though she knew the information would prove useless to her.

[/html]
so sorry for the delay!
[html]

The sprawling canopy above them shielded them from much of the rain. As they clambered through the forest, Endymion couldn't help but noticing her soaked dress. Though he was used to seeing others without clothes, the way the fabric clung to her body made him feel he was looking upon something he shouldn't. Keeping his green eyes trained on the path, the wolf shifted his sack from his arms to his shoulder, and used one of his free hands to rub the back of his head. A nervous habit he just couldn't shake.
"It is," he said, clearing his throat. "This bit of forest is called... Ethereal Eclipse, I think, though we're pretty much on the edge of it. Our group up here is called Esper Hollow, and there are several more packs that way"—he waved his hand East, indicating the areas beyond the forest—"that are all cluttered around this immediate area. I don't know much about those territories. Beyond the mountains and all the way to the opposite coast is burned to the ground, though." As Endymion spoke they crossed the benign borders of the aforementioned group. He intentionally failed to mention that the pile of ashes used to be his home and he knew everything about it. At least, before it was destroyed.

[/html]
[html]

"Oh, I see," she replied, raising a hand to once again slide the damp pieces of hair from her eyes. They just didn’t seem to want to stay back, and her habit of shoving them away had almost become incessant. She felt as if she was moving much slower in her damp cloths, but managed to keep up with Endymion. She wondered if he had an easier time getting around in this sort of weather, with his lack of clothing and all.

"Those tents you were talking about, how much farther?" She asked him curiously, hoping she didn’t come off as uninterested in what he had to say. She just hoped she could get out of the rain soon, and rest her body. Lugging her stuff around really got tiring by the end of the day.

[/html]
very sorry for yet another delay. wrap up soon?
[html]

Endymion smiled when she inquired about the tents he promised. He fully understood her eagerness to get out of the rain, and felt guilty for keeping her waiting so long. "Yes, we're quite close to the campsite now," he said, quickening his pace through the trees. They were close enough now that, if it were a dry, sunny day they would have been able to see the shack in the distance. The rain and mist, however, impaired their vision this afternoon. His legs were almost entirely brown with mud now, but he didn't mind much. A good mud bath never hurt anyone, did it? He thought about repeating the rhetorical question to Ryan, but just kept silent, figuring she was more interested in keeping dry than hear him prattle on about silly things. Chuckling quietly to himself, the wolf glimpsed the smoldering ashes of the bonfire through the steady rain and clambered the rest of the distance into the clearing with renewed purpose. "Wait here," he said, gesturing nowhere in particular as he trotted to the back of the shack, where they kept some of the tents. As he rummaged, he thought he heard voices, like muffled shouting coming from inside. Forehead lined with worry, Endymion extricated a large tent from the pile and trotted back to his companion. "Here you are!" he said, slinging his bag on the porch with a curious glance at the closed door. Where the men alright, or was he just hearing things? He glanced back to Ryan, figuring he should take care of her first. "Shall we get it set up?"

[/html]
No problem. Want to fade-to-black from here? [html]

She waited eagerly in the clearing as Endymion went trotting off alone. She took a small peak around, noticing the shed now, but not finding much interest in it. Instead, she looked towards the smoldering fire, wishing that it could have somehow been lit and withstood the rain. It would have definitely been nice to sit around and warm up.

When Endymion came back, she couldn’t help but smile. She dropped her bag to the soggy ground and nodded, "Mmhhhm." She moved over next to him, looking at the canvas and poles he had bunched together in his grip. She had no idea how it would be set up in the end. "Where do we start?" She asked. The sooner they got it together, the better.

[/html]