we might as well be strangers
[html]

night of September 19th

A starless sky smothered the earth with thick folds of darkness; the night was unlit by the winking heavenly bodies, their bright flames instead snuffed out by the distant wisps of purple clouds. The moist chill in the air seemed to seep slowly into the woman's bones, trying to coat and sap her muscles strength with a fatigue as thick as molasses - the cold ground itself seemed to be lapping at the energy of her squatted form. Yes, she would need warmth. Already a neat stack of sticks lay before her, dry moss and other greenery springing from every available crevice within. No larger than the size of her head, she knew that it would be a pitiful fire - but her focus was more on getting warm for the moment, rather than being warm for long.

Aoves' arms lashed violently in a rapid clashing succession, the flint and stone clenched in each hand cracking out angrily in protest, but never once would emitting a spark. Her motions grew increasingly violent, the clashing louder, until a tiny spark finally shot like a tiny comet onto the woodpile. The woman practically threw her front to the ground, her breast and arms protectively encircling the little pile, lips pursing to spill out the gentle coaxings of her breath. A bright ember heart began to blossom in the shadowed center, only to be snapped away by a gust of wind.

A frustrated snarl rumbled in the chambers of her throat, her eyes flicking angrily from her task to stare into the east, as though by glaring she could quiet the callous billows. Her glare turned to observation, the sky looked far nastier than she recalled. The air was growing restless; she had lived by the sea, and recognized the aroma of a storm on the wind all too well. None of the clouds where tinged with the malevolent color of something deadly, or at least they weren't under the veil of night, so she decided to trust her decision and forgo a shelter for the night. She went back to work, rock and flint again clattering stubbornly against in her hands.

Finally, finally a spark flew again and ignited, and again she lowered her head down as near to the spark as she dared, breaths alternating between gentle huffs that grew into full breathy gusts as the flame sprang to life. As the growing tongues of flame lashed upward, she swiftly recoiled and returned to squatting on her knees, her fist clenching and shaking in triumph.

<style type="text/css">
.aovaze b {color:#181f1e;}
.aovaze .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:3px; text-align:center; text-indent:0px;}
.aovaze .line {width:430px; border-bottom:1px solid #181f1e; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
.aovaze p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.aovaze {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#d7ceb8; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/CV2nM.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #181f1e; padding:320px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#5c584f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
((460)) Assuming kinda stormy weather, with upcoming hurricane, perhaps? ;u;

The weather, typically a topic for those who had nothing else to talk about, could most interestingly be brought into conversation now, as it was significantly peculiar, enough to get the attention of one red merle australian shepherd wandering about the southernmost part of the area.

The skies were growing darker, dark clouds raiding the skies, cooling the air already chilly from the land's close proximity to the icey waters nearby. The wind was just as unforgiving, adding to the already almost unbearable temperature of the environment.

Harvey Butler was used to grey, rainy, chilly days back in his old hometown of London, but being used to something didn't make one immune to the effects. Just as an individual often bitten by venomous reptiles wasn't impervious to a cobra's defense, Harv, despite his dealing with cold weather, could still feel the breeze nipping at him.

A shiver ran over his body, and he was glad his pelt was longer than most, thanks to his breed. After his friends had left the home he'd previously only been staying in as a tenant (as now, he more or less owned the place), the cockney dog found himself back to his old hobby of adventuring about the land in search for friends, possible pack choices, or even amusing landscapes, something to keep his attention, and make him forget how alone and uncomfortable he was.

It had grown much darker than when he'd started off from Halifax, and looking up, Harvey could almost swear the clouds took on a more purplish tint, like a violent, violet smog overtaking the starry blanket that should have been blessing Nova Scotia's inhabitants with it's lovely appearance.

He looked around, half hoping he'd run into something with shelter to offer, or perhaps a small enclosed area away from the chill of the wind. Anything would work if he could warm himself up.

A sudden swirl of yellow and orange erupting from the ground caught his eye, and he turned, hardly able to see the source.

A... Wait. Is tha' a... Fire?

Lightening hadn't seemed to start (not yet, at least, though it looked as if it could and be expected), so the Brit could only assume that if the object really was a fire, somebody had to have started it.

Right?

It wouldn't hurt to investigate either way, he thought, because if it were a fire, he'd enjoy the fire more than just about anything at the current moment. If not, he'd freeze either way. Harvey wasn't fearful of hypothermia, thanks to his coat and the fact that it probably felt cooler than what it was, but he wasn't about to pass up warming up next to a flame.

The red-blotched male turned, and headed for the light.

<style type="text/css">
.razeharv-ooc {width:440px; font-size:10px; font-family:verdana; font-style:italic; text-align:right;}
.razeharv b {color:#f0e5e0; font-family:georgia, serif; text-shadow:#48392a 1px 1px 2px;}
.razeharv b:before {content:open-quote;}
.razeharv b:after {content:close-quote;}
.razeharv p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.razeharv {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#ab8763; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/JO1W9.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:#48392a 1px solid; padding:410px 0px 3px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#48392a; line-height:18px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Aoves had become quite proud of the little inferno at her folded knees; she aggravating the flame with the occasional poke of a stick, a fiery tongue lashing out each and every time. The flames were beautiful in a fearsome way, and she found her eyes glazing as she admired the violent spurts into the air - staring into the phoenix hues was far more interesting than ogling her own feet, at the very least. The entity of the wind was growing more and more indecisive, tugging the flames to and fro in a haphazard dance. Such movement only added dimension to the depth of the flame though, the shadows crackling impishly in their dance, each wave of warmth putting her further at ease.

A fiercer gust suddenly rocketed from behind her, in its intensity threatening to consume the flames, causing them to waver pitifully before their life returned. It wasn't the shock of the chill that caused her back to go rigid with surprise however, it was the scent that it carried. Her nose tilted immediately into the air, trying to catch the vanishing trail, but the wind had already snatched the scent away. Canine, and more than likely male was all she could tell, the rest was left a mystery.

The woman craned her head in the direction from whence the scent had come, her weight slipping onto an arm as her eyes peered into the shadow. Lo and behold, a lupine silhouette was making its way over to her. Her first response was, as always, to preen, partially unsheathed claws running through her hair as a make-shift comb. As her hands ran hurriedly through the curls, her thoughts wandered absentmindedly to whether or not the stranger would even care, or if they were friendly at all. Now that would be a shame. After all, the only thing worse than a cold night, was a cold night with cold company.

Her grooming was destined to matter little, for the wind again saw fit to again harass the careful arrangement of her mane, carrying out its mischief just as the stranger neared the threshold of the fires glow. She was surely the more visible one, her own figure bathed in the flames illumination. He still only appeared as a slightly more defined silhouette, some speckles on his coat visible in the shadow; his eyes no more than mirrors flashing in the light.

A hand flew to her hair in a last attempt to suppress it, her lips also parting in a simple "Bonsoir" before closing, more interested in fully perceiving his form than appearing amicable for the moment. The word was spoken in the general warmth of her alto, but it's inflection was hesitant; the dame uncertain of whether or not it should be something besides welcoming and friendly. She was alone, the night was dark - a girl couldn't always afford to be too welcoming, or so she reasoned.

<style type="text/css">
.aovaze .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:3px; text-align:center; text-indent:0px;}
.aovaze .line {width:430px; border-bottom:1px solid #181f1e; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
.aovaze {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#d7ceb8; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/CV2nM.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #181f1e; padding:320px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#5c584f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

((424)) So very sorry for the wait. ;n; Was busier than intended this week.

Harvey

As he trudged closer, he pace increased, quite certain now that the object in question was, indeed, a fire, and inviting source of heat to thaw his frozen bones.

Of course with a controlled fire, there was likely another there who'd started it, but careless as Harvey could often be, he went on without thinking about possible encounters leading to being maimed or otherwise treated in a less than pleasant way. For all he knew, a raging brute of a canine could be waiting behind the flames, giddy to lure a helpless victim into his trap. But, now, he didn't care. It was just another chance he really didn't want to give up.

Finally he'd picked up a trace aside from the smell of the smoke. There was certainly somebody present, but the scent was decidedly female. That lowered his tension about intruding into a stranger's space.

As he grew nearer the fire, the appearance of the unknown female was revealed, illuminated by the fire. He paused, a brow raised unconsciously. He could find beauty in the simplest of things, but this stranger was completely stunning to the aussie shepherd male. A typical smirk appeared on his red-blotched face, bi-coloured eyes begging to roam over the female's body, but as he was raised to be a gentleman, he kept his attention to her gaze.

Stepping closer, mostly to warm himself with the conrolled inferno, he revealed his own face, not wanting to hide behind a shadow like somebody either ashamed of their body (which he wasn't, as most anybody who knew Harvey could explain) or somebody with unappealing intentions. He simply wanted to survive the chilly night, but the added company was something he rather fancied.

He cleared his throat before speaking. 'Ello! Terribly sorry for intrudin' like this, Miss, but could I ask if you wouldn't mind me company? The Brit asked sweetly. Rathah chilly night out. Didn't expect t' be caught out this late, but seems I got meself distracted durin' me travels, an'... Well. He shrugged. Time management wasn't his strong point, but he usually didn't mind, as "camping out" was another adventure in itself.

Oh! 'Ow rude of me! I can be such a brute sometimes... Harvey hated to admit his being impolite by not offering his identity before asking to stay in the woman's presence. Where are me manners! I'm Harvey Butler, an' it's a pleasah t' meet you, ducky.

The cockney canine said, smiling as if he'd redeemed himself now.

His gaze had still yet to leave hers.

<style>
.Harvey-London p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.Harvey-London b {color:#FFFFFF;}
.Harvey-London-b {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0px auto;}
.Harvey-London-charname {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#1C0A00 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:20px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Harvey-London-separator {text-align:center; margin:2px 0px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/qqGuh.jpg); height:193px; border-width:1px; border-size:1px; border-style: solid none; border-color:#F1AA58;}
.Harvey-London-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.Harvey-London {background-color:#9B520D; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #F1AA58; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
</style>
Coding by Sie
[/html]
[html]

no worries, there's no rush at all Big Grin/edit I have no clue where all the rhymes came from

A fully visible form was fabricated from the shadowy silhouette, allowing silver eyes to flash over the dog in a curious once over. Her tensions were not fully suspended until he spoke; the decency she could hear being enough for her. The strangers accent caused her ears to prick with curiosity; she didn't know where she'd heard it from - thoughts of the port surfaced the strongest when she mulled over it though - and the familiar twang made her certain it was from over the sea as well. Having seen that his visit wasn't intended to terrorize her, her countenance had relaxed considerably, a soft smile even tugging at the corner of her lips as she replied.
"Of course mon cher, come 'ave a seat and warm yourself."

Promptly ruining her invitation, and as if on cue, another wind rocked the flame, causing the fiery tendrils to sway so low that they lapped at the ground and threatened to go out. A look of concern flitted over to the flames, then to the heavy cast-iron grey of distant clouds, wondering if she should have offered at all. A mental shrug dismissed the thought immediately; it would at least last long enough to allow for some conversation, even if not the entire night. She'd resolve that problem when it arose.

The stoking stick was placed aside as she spoke of seating, the other arm pulling tucked legs to the side to make herself smaller - also so he wouldn't have to sit across from her just for the sake of personal space. A broad gesture was then made with the empty hand, the waving palm motioning to the warmed area surrounding. The ground was enveloped in the amber shield of light, were she gestured, the glow inviting and bright.

Her pale gaze returned to his soon after, eyes fluttering shut for a moment as she shook her head, her chuckle low and light as she followed his words with a teasing denial. "And if that is the way you define brutishness, perhaps you could give some other so-called gentlemen some tips in it, hm? - It's a pleasure to meet you monsieur Butler, my name is Aoves." The hand that had swung wide now gestured to herself, an identifying palm pressed gently against the milk and sable down of her speckled chest. She'd been fortunate enough to avoid the referenced 'so-called gentlemen', but every country had its undesirables, and she would try to enjoy the good company while she could.

As a statement of sincerity for her following words, she let the palm stay there, still pressed honestly over her heart. "You're welcome to stay as long as you like, but I'm afraid I can't promise this fire will last the night." The words were apologetic as she spoke them, but she felt it was a reasonable warning.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
((379)) Rhyming is always fun, especially when it's unintentional. xD

Her speech was interesting to the cockney canine. ...mon cher...? He assumed it was French, though when it came to other languages, he was admittedly ignorant. Even unaccented English sounded a bit foreign to the Brit, but it wasn't that he was unimpressed by other countries and cultures, he, during his time in London as a gangster, simply cared for himself first, and learning about other ethnic groups and the like weren't seen as something that would directly benefit him. He regretted that now.

The gust nearly blew him off balance, the winds growing stronger as the sky turned dark. He worried about the existence of the fire being let out by the harshness of the weather, but soon after, Harvey figured he may as well enjoy the warmth while it still was there for the taking.

As the stranger adjusting the surroundings to allow him better seating, the red merle canine muttered out a soft thanks, and placed himself in the more than inviting location near the fire.

Well, it doesn't 'urt t' apologize. I like t' fink of meself as a gentleman, so I should try me 'ardest a' persuin' tha', I should. He nodded, explaining his reason for possibly overexaggerating his bruteness, or lack thereof. Oh, please, Miss Aoves... As much as I appreciate ya bein' polite in all in callin' me by me las' name, I prefer t' go by Harvey... Or Harv. Eivah works fine. Don't mean t' be picky... The blotched luperci shrugged some, before keeping himself pulled close, trying in another attempt to stay warm. 'Sides... I'd like t' fink of this as less formal... More friendly, y'know.

Oh, I couldn't be a bovah... I don't wish t' intrude, it was rude enough of me t' wandah up 'ere like a los' pup lookin' for 'is mum, like tha'! Harvey laughed some, though he was honestly ashamed of his actions. He was a male, and was supposed to provide for woman, no matter their relation. It was the gentlemanly thing to do, not allow the circumstance to be inverted! He waved it off, simply to not bring forth any expression of self-pity or attention fishing. No worries, love, what lasts will be plenty. It's much be'er than nofin' at all, it is.

<style type="text/css">
.razeharv-ooc {width:440px; font-size:10px; font-family:verdana; font-style:italic; text-align:right;}
.razeharv b {color:#f0e5e0; font-family:georgia, serif; text-shadow:#48392a 1px 1px 2px;}
.razeharv {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#ab8763; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/JO1W9.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:#48392a 1px solid; padding:410px 0px 3px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#48392a; line-height:18px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

ick. iPod post, sorry about my idiot laptop.

The woman stayed silent as she listened to him speak, charmed by both his accent and words into offering a slight, apologetic smile. She could never fully abandon the formality; the politely composed responses had simply become a part of her nature, but be she was glad to have an excuse to lighten up on it. Her head tilted in a slow nod, accepting his request.

"Fair enough then Harvey." She said, careful to clarify the h, making sure that she no longer misspoke his name. "But that means no more miss Aoves."  Saying that, she briefly wagged a playful finger before returning her attention to the fire.  She'd actually rather liked her English title, but if they were going to keep things relaxed, then she might as well comply and go the whole way.

Her own legs slid more comfortably out behind her once he was seated, small black hands unwrapping from her knees and lifted up to the fire - they had already begun to chill again since she had moved them way. Now she could face fully towards the fire, thoughtfully staring into its volatile center, mulling over how to speak her mind without coming off as rude.  When she finally spoke, her words began slowly at first, thoughtfully and carefully spoken, picking up as she became more certain what she asked was acceptable.

"So, I don't mean to pry," And she really didn't, but curiosity more often than not got the better of her. "But might I ask where you come from?  My stay 'ere wasn't long, so I don't know much about the local dialects, but am I right in guessing that yours is not native?"   No longer able to bear the fires intensity, her eyes were averted away from the glow, allowing her to peek curiously at him from the corners of lowered eyelids.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

((551)) That's fine, I understand that! xD Sorry, got wordy. ;u;

Harvey

Harvey was typically formal himself, even if he was comfortable with the other; it was simply in his nature to be a gentleman... Now.

He wasn't always so polite. In his gang, the red merle male saw himself as powerful, and felt that most were below him. Because of his power in the community and the reputation of fear he'd managed to conceive, Harvey spoke lowly to those he didn't care for (which was nearly anybody not closely related to him, or a fellow member that he could stand), calling them hateful names and shoving his way as he held his cocky air about him.

It was embarrassing thinking of it now. He was the total opposite of what he was now, and it was only worse after he was attacked...

Those who thought he couldn't get worse were in for a treat. The Brit was spiteful, hating the world and having on and off fits of anger. He'd been trying to work on his impoliteness, especially after realizing how weak he really was, compared to what he initially believed, but with a sudden trigger, he'd be thrown into a fit of rage, a violent man filled with blind hatred and fury.

Thinking about his brutish past was enough to make him swallow what felt like his heart that was pounding in his throat. Bi-coloured eyes fought hard to keep from forming tears, as he was so ashamed of what he used to be. But, being the optimist he tried to hard to be, Harvey instead tried to think of the here and now. He'd managed to meet new people, some of which he could call friends, and so far, his reputation was nothing to be disappointed by.

Aoves accented voice brought his attention back to the present, which he greatly appreciated. His smile returned, and he listened to her while he enjoyed the heat of the fire on the chilly night.

Her enunciation of the h made him chuckle, for he often dropped that letter, pronouncing his own name more like 'Arvay Butluh than how most would. I figgah tha's fair enough, then. He smiled. Figure was another example of the type of word his cockney lilt enabled him from saying like others. Still, he felt he could get his thoughts through, as he wasn't too totally misunderstood.

No worries, dove, tha's a pre'y common question for me. The ex-gangster said, speaking truthfully. Thanks to his distinct accent, his hometown was questioned frequently, though he never grew tired of answering it, for he felt that somehow, he'd interested his acquaintances to some degree if they were curious enough to ask anything about him. I'm not from 'ere, tha's right. I come from London, the East End. Would explain me accent, wouldn't it? Harvey grinned still, semi-turned toward her so that he could not only feel the fire's warmth, but so he could hold a conversation with the woman while facing her to some (even if small) extent.

An, if you don't mind me prying'... I could ask you the same fin'... The cockney canine nearly mumbled. He wasn't bored, or particularly tired... He was just rather comfortable. Something about the setting and situation calmed him after his painful relapse of horrid memories, and Harv wasn't going to complain about that.

<style>
.Harvey-London-charname {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#1C0A00 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:20px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Harvey-London-separator {text-align:center; margin:2px 0px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/qqGuh.jpg); height:193px; border-width:1px; border-size:1px; border-style: solid none; border-color:#F1AA58;}
.Harvey-London-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.Harvey-London {background-color:#9B520D; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #F1AA58; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
</style>
Coding by Sie
[/html]
[html]

it's okay, I enjoy reading it ^^

His words were met with a blank face at first, she returned her gaze to the fire, as though to catch an image of his home in the flickering flames. London?  Now that did sound familiar.  As recognition finally dawned on her, she grinned and triumphantly returned her gaze to him.
"I think we might've shared the same stars." She said, laughing at the idea of being so near. She didn't know much about world geography, but after living a life on the waters, she knew her stars just as well as her local maps.  

As the dog asked of her own home, she only shook her head, unable to think of just where to begin. "My 'ome, hm."  A place with so many memories, both good and bad.  She clasped her hands over one another and nestled them fondly against her heart - but lips pulled tight as she smiled, trying to keep bitterness contained, and out of her dialogue and tone. "France; she is a beautiful country.  I unfortunately was not blessed with a place in the 'eart of it, and lived with my family on the coast." At that she paused, wondering if she should delve further into the details.  

Her general paranoia about keeping her thoughts to herself urgently said to stop there, and let him wonder; there was no harm in leaving a bit of mystique in the conversation after all.  

Thoughtfully fondling the speckled hairs on her throat, she used the other hand to pick up the stoking stick, her nudges sending a swirl of embers into the air to fill the tiny pause.  In the end she saw no harm in it, he could be there for a while yet, and she hoped that by opening up to him, he’d show her the same kindness. The brooding gaze jumped back to him, eyes truly smiling in sync with her lips as she resumed.

"The 'arbor was every shade of grey, a bit dull after a while, you know? But the locals made it seem beautiful with their kindness."   The last phrase had been added as an affectionate afterthought, the beauty of her home had been explained, but not the reason for her departure.   As she recalled the fond memories that had taken place though, she could not help but to smile gently, remembering those she had met while traveling.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
((517)) These two conversing fascinate me greatly. ouo

The phrase admittedly caught the merle luperci off guard, but he smiled nonetheless. Stars? It wasn't anything he really thought about, astronomy. Sure, he'd noticed the illuminating spheres of gas, but the only thing he could really say for them was of their beauty. Constellations, mapping, the science behind it all... He was ignorant, and really didn't care. To him, the lack of knowledge made them all the more lovely. The mystery added to their appeal, and allowed his imagination to shape his perception of them how he wished. Something about sharing the same stars he found oddly... Romantic. Chuckling softly to himself, he shook the thought away, finding it silly.

Perhaps. France, you say? 'Aven't been there meself, but I 'ave 'eard some lovely fin' 'bout it, I 'ave. Harvey muttered, staring to the skies, the gloomy smoke from the fire mixing with the eerie purple clouds overhead. The coast seems like a place t' fancy still, ain't it? Must of been quite the view, I imagine... Even the hubbub ports of me 'omeland could be seen as appealin' t' some... In the right light...

The Brit stopped his ramblings, feeling foolish to talk of a country he'd never been to like he knew even the slightest about it. Harvey had the habit of being unable to keep his mouth shut at times that would be most appropriate to do so.

The pause afterward was, for once, awkward to the cockney dog. Harvey Butler usually never minded silence between individuals, because so much could still be said without words, and, at times, periods without speech was both necessary and appreciated. This time, however, the aussie shepherd felt slightly uncomfortable (though not terribly so), for whatever reason.

He perked up at the sound of the female's voice again, turning his attention to Aoves. Oh? Sounds much like me London, it does... Grey and gloomy, was it? But full of plen'y 'nough kind blokes t' make up for the bloody awful scenery. He sighed, ...I rathah fancied it, t' tell you the truth. The rain... The wind, the lack of somefin' so bright and colourful... But, guess you could say tha' I find a beau'y in everyfin'... Jus' how me mind seems t' work, it is.

The red blotched canine smiled, though in his mind raced the memories of what he took for granted. The kind people, who he saw then as useless scum. The beauty of the land that at the time, was nothing but a pit of anything but appeal. His London, something he treasured now, was something he couldn't much care less for as a gangster, for his thoughts were so embarrassingly egocentric.

It wasn't the time to dwell on mistakes. Harvey sat now in the warmth of a fire with a lovely, interesting young lady, and he wasn't going to be so rude as to take the time for himself. Not again...

But, some fin's are lovliah den ovahs... A grin grew upon his multi-toned face. Ju's 'ave t' make sure ya don't ovah look 'em, or 'fore ya know it... It's all gone.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

I still read through some of the first posts, my mind sees the scenes of them chatting Big Grin

i demand another thread.

She was glad when he laughed; the simple sound, combined with the enveloping warmth of the fire, put her more at ease. The prodding stick was returned to the ground, and she turned to lead toward him with weight on the free hand, fully attentive, though her torso and head still remained inclined towards the warmth. As he grinned in saying his final words, the woman only dipped her chin in a sage nod.

“That is a good skill to possess. I think there would be less unrest among us if more thought something similar.” The quiet words referred to the conflicts that had arisen between luperci and wolf, wolf and dog, all of the thumbed canine and the other beasts that they now surpassed. She had always thought it a shame that divisions still existed.

Her train of thought returned to the other thing he had said, she signaling curiosity with an inclination of her sable head. “But why did you leave your London then, was it not one of those lovelier things?” She wondered if he had left with a similar motivation, interested in the ‘wilder’ frontiers of Luperci civilization…or at least as civil as a canine run world could be. Hopefully he had not, at least not in the same foolish pursuits as she had: distinction and adventure driven by trivial boredom.

A thought occurred an instant later, and she smiled freely at the nature of it, allowing a more sanguine purr to slip past curling lips.“Ah, or per'aps you came 'ere to chase after that lovelier something, hm?”
An eye batted in a mischievous wink, though the lovelier something she referred to was hardly herself. Rather than pry into his love life, the comment was intended more to lighten her previous graveness. The serious mood had come far too suddenly, infecting her speech before she could squelch it. A moment later, and she found herself glad that she had made the jest. She found herself almost hoping that some sort of chase for love had been the case; besides attesting that his character was better than hers, it would make for a wonderful story to share by the fire.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

((494)) Me toooo! xD I should doodle a scene... And yesplz. :I

Harvey

Noticing her movement, so that she could more properly see him as they talked, he assumed, Harvey shifted as well, leaning back as his scarred arms kept him steady. The aussie dog looked to her with one brown and one blue eye, smiling softly.

After giving a bit of a nod himself, he agreed wordlessly with her statement. It was an idea that could be fancied, to have everybody get along, but it was something very unlikely to happen. Even Harvey himself had a violent, hatred filled past, and despite his trying to control his anger, a conflict had even occurred in this new land! There was always something to fight over, somebody to fight with, someplace to fight for... No, as glorious as the concept seemed, it was just not going to happen, and that was just accepted.

Why...? The British male let out a heavy sigh, as rude as it may or may not have been. He'd excuse himself for it later, as the question was something he asked himself often. I still wondah if I made the right decision, dovey... London was such a pre'y place, an' a real wonder, it is. Plus, it's me 'ome! Where I was raised... Where I learned t' 'unt for meself, where I met me chums an' got t' see me fam'ly. But, what's done is done... An' I really can't say I regret tha' all. He finished with a smile.

He'd come up with his reasons to stay, but upon arrival to Novia Scotia, he was set on never turning back. With his determination and more positive outlook, he'd managed to meet new friends, explore a new area, and even find himself a home. The shepherd was doing more for himself now than he could have ever done before, especially in his old group.

A gust of wind brought a chill to him, but that didn't distract him from listening to Aoves as she asked something more.

Her show was amusing to the male, especially as lonely and uncomfortable he'd been with nobody by him anymore and, of course, due to the lack of any special attention. It was taken lightly, but he wouldn't deny being honoured to see a more playful side of this lovely lady beside him.

I guess ya could say tha'... Harvey said with a shrug, London may 'ave been lovely, but me life wasn't anyfin' t' praise. I wouldn't dare go into it all, but a chance t' a fresh new start was... bloo'y exhilaratin'!

He wouldn't have been the type of guy to chase after a love interest, because during his London times, he was all about himself; he had flings with pretty things around town, but it was all for power. It was a contest with the other men, some way to show their 'arses' to each other. It wasn't until recently that Harvey even thought seriously about settling down, and he was pretty open about that.

<style>
</style>
Coding by Sie
[/html]
[html]

Aoves was hardly unaware of his conversational side step, scrutinizing the fact that he didn't delve into the why of his leaving. She studied his eyes patiently as he gave his response, searching for the remainder of an explanation there, since what he gave only seemed to be a portion of one. The pale gaze flitted passively back to the fire a moment later; he didn't seem keen go into the details, and since nothing about him set mental alarms blaring, she was resigned to leave the matter alone. Her previous smile was replaced by a mere ghost of itself though; her entire demeanor reigning itself in - as much trust as was given, she would return.

Her mind drifted to his final words. She rolled the idea of it being purely exhilaration - and not slightly terrifying - around in her skull, head gently tilting itself as she toyed with the idea. Her mind had wandered back to the grays of her home, trying to paint from the palette a picture his own, thinking of the other foreign places her travels had lead her to. Yes, she supposed in some ways launching herself into the unknown had been worth it. "Exhilarating. Hm, I might just agree with you."

Silence resettled upon smiling lips once again, her gaze returning to study his from behind hooded eyes, newly guarded. She chose to ignore many things, and overlook many others, but she never forgot. The woman decided to change subjects completely; a cheerful tone switching to one that didn't involve revealing much more about themselves.

"Would you like to 'ear something interesting Harvey? She spoke with renewed vigor, only able to gently huff out the 'h' of his name, that being the close to the sound she could come. "I think I knew about you before this night, I met a twitchy wolf named Unatsi when I first found myself 'ere. 'E said something about a friend from London with an ah, interesting manner of speaking. Was that you by any chance?" Her tone was polite, the warm trills that ornamented her murmur just as friendly as before; despite the change in demeanor.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
((388)) --

Another gust of the chilly wind swept through, causing Harvey to shiver some. Instinctively, he scooted closer to the fire, as well as toward the female nearby for warmth. He hardly realized his action, and turned again to look to her as she responded.

Her mood seemed different, but Harv didn't take it as anything he should be worried over. She seemed in thought, or perhaps relaxed. Either way, the Brit found it none of his business to ask about her wellbeing if she wasn't hinting anything wrong. It wouldn't be polite to be so nosy.

He was happier when he wasn't questioned more about his past in London. Though he would answer as honestly as he could, he'd also answer just as vaguely. It wasn't a trust issue, but rather an internal dilemma; Harvey was running from his mobster history, looking for a better life. It was shameful, and the red blotched luperci was doing what he could to try and find catharsis. Telling others of his gang and affiliation not only ruined his (so far) positive reputation, but it gave a violent and untrustworthy impression, something the male would rather not have on him. On top of that, if he constantly told everybody he met about his London life, he was hardly able to erase it from his mind, as he wished he could. Best to not even bring it up, was his thinking...

When Aoves agreed with his words, and her smile returned, the red merled male shared the grin, glad to have met somebody who understood his situation. Not only was this woman a foreigner like himself, from an area from across the icy blue ocean, bearing a thick accent and a past of gloomy skies, she really seemed to relate to the overall feeling of started like anew in Nova Scotia.

Interestin', hm? He grinned, paying attention closely. Unatsi? He knew the exact twitchy red wolf she was speaking of. Yeh, must be! I mean, 'less he'd found 'imself anovah cockney mate t' chat wif... An' so far, I'm the only one I know of 'ere. Unatsi, yeh... Real kind bloke, 'e is, but you pro'ly know tha' already, aftah mee'in' 'im yourself an' all. Harvey said with a nod.

He hugged his arms around his legs, pulling them close after he replied.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Pleased that the guess had been right, she returned the smile, fondly recalling the hospitality of the white-armed luperci. "Yes, 'e is a good wolf. I 'ave met a many in this region, you included." From what she could see at least, it was an honest statement, and the woman laughed gently as she said it. I can only pray to find myself as fortunate when I move inland. I think with the look of this storm, that would be the wiser thing to do though."

As she spoke of the storm, her neck craned back to look at the clouds. They seemed to be growing more menacing by the second, though most of that was attributed to their swift course to the shore. Body tensed as it was met square in the face by a sudden wind, and she turned swiftly back to the fire.

The abundance of silky fur that decorated her body was deceptive, the lush hairs suggested providing a warmth that simply wasn't there. A lack of plush undercoat left her horrifically vulnerable to the weather, and staying on the coast - even in the cold but sturdy halls of the Blackmoor castle - simply wasn't an option without her clothes and supplies.

She relaxed again as she turned back to the warmth of the fire, concern underlying the light of her eyes as she spoke again. "I 'ope you have something similar in mind mon cher, I believe roughing the elements is better 'andled by the wolves." Half wolf she may have been herself, but most of the mutts make-up was domestic, and past experience had taught her that dogs just weren't as hardy as their wild cousins. If he had come from Europe as well, then he must have been used to some bit of living in comfort, rather than roughing it out in the wild.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

((394)) --

Harvey

He smiled at the compliment, as subtle as it may have been. I could say the same for you, Mi-... The ex-gangster let out a short laugh, shaking his head at his mistake. Sorry... Aoves. Could say the same for ya bein' good. He nodded, voice trailing off some as he thought over what she'd said.

He had a place somewhat inland? It was still very close to the water, but the home was one that seemed pressed into others for support, and so far, it had withstood many beatings. He figured the shelter he had in the Hydrostone District a pleasant and appropriate place to stay throughout the storm. If that proved otherwise, though, he was pretty much on his own.

But, he wasn't one to worry to much. He'd rather just let things play out, as awful as the outcome may be. Through many past experiences, he found his contributions lead to, often times, less desirable outcomes. Then again, that was when he was undesirable himself...

His own fur was lengthy, thanks to his breed, but even Australian Shepherds weren't accustomed to fairing through the harsh weather that was bound to ensue. It was longer than most other breeds, but not as thick or coarse as a wolf or coyote's pelt. He'd have to find shelter for sure, along with material to keep him warm until the ominous storm finished its way through.

Tha' it is, ducky... Harvey started, But I do 'ave meself a nice lil' place in 'Alifax, I does. Plen'y of rooms an' such, blankets t' keep warm an' a tub t' wash in. 'Ave t' carry th e wa'er t' it, obviously, but it can store what ya've got for a while. He'd started rambling. Realizing this, he stopped himself, allowed his brain to reroute, before returning to his initial thought.

The cockney canine gave a bit of a shrug. An'.. Y'know, if ya don't 'ave somefin' for yourself... I could always lead ya tha' way. The beds are kept up wif', it's nofin' too fancy, but it's quaint. Warm. 'ome, he thought. That's what it was to him now, and the being reminded of that brought another smile forth.

So... Yeh. Jus' let me know, alright, love? Harvey laughed softly, looking back to Aoves. It'd be me pleasah t' 'elp you out. Or, in the least, try.

<style>
</style>
Coding by Sie
[/html]
[html]

The first 3 paragraphs are purely her thought process >.>

"'Alifax you say? That is the name of the building you live in?"
Black rimmed lips pulled into a fleshy frown; not at his offer, but the entire situation and the temptation it presented. It would be the second time in the same amount of weeks she'd be accepting hospitality from a male; as a result, her independent side was brutally beating at the commodity loving, vain damsel that hid behind it to seem harder to reach - but Heaven above, how she would love a decent bath. Purifying water was a grueling process - braving it for drinking was one thing, but she preferred the stinging cuts of salt on wound to an hour of watching water evaporate.

That was one matter already settled in her mind, having it mentally approved allowed her to analyze the rest, she being particularly careful since it was such a major decision. Accepting would mean being penned in the same building for at least a few days; luckily, she did not have the worry of her heat cycle interfering, so that was not quite an issue either. Oddly enough, the main problem that sprung to mind would be retrieving the painting she had been given, still stored for safekeeping within the castle; but that too was written off, a dash south and it would be back in her arms.

Ralentir, fille. The woman remained silent, but her brow furrowed slightly in deepening thought - by bringing the painting, didn't she imply a longer stay? She continued to calculate the pro's and con's: wherever this place was, it was safer than staying alone in a storm, and she would have the added protection of a male. That was assuming he wasn't a psychotic, but quite mannerly rapist, of course.

Eyes flashed innocently over his physique, judging whether her own could gain the upper hand should things go poorly, the thoughtful gaze darting to the flame a moment after reaching a conclusion. She figured she had a 50/50 chance. Either way, the odds were better with him than staying out in the wild alone, better to have to fight her way out than die the slow misery of hypothermia or pneumonia. The thought process in itself was quick, but there was enough of a lull were she worried he might think her disinterested.

Quickly, before he could think that she had hesitated because she planned to reject his offer, her teasing purr slipped past a gentle grin once again. "I must admit it sounds very nice, but what would you think of me if I said yes? A lady going 'ome with a stranger she only just met is not much of a lady at all."

A moment of thought had her realizing the negative innuendos the statement carried; after clearing her throat, continuing in a way that better explained where she had been heading. She met his eyes plainly, her own no longer hidden behind the coyness of curtaining lashes; she wanted the dog to know that she spoke honestly. "I would 'ate to be a burden to you, 'Arvey, in the midst of a storm." Yes, that was all she had meant; though in the back of her mind, she wondered how many homes of males a female had to visit before defaulting as a whore. Any pause her phrasing may give was beneficial either way; she need more time, just a little more, to think about his offer. It was incredibly enticing, but her natural reservations were making it a hard offer to accept.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
((482)) Harv does that often~

It's the name of the ci'y, love. An' it's quite the sight for somebo'y who's nevah seen it, it is. He nodded. He'd remembered his conversation with Unasti, and trying to descrive the city and it's likeliness to his homeland. It was humourous, but mostly in the sense that it was just too difficult to explain to somebody who wasn't used to it already.

The pause was unnerving to the red merle male at first, but after realizing what he'd just offered her, he could understand why she'd need time to think things over. He was somewhat impulsive, when granted the chance. When Rio had asked if he'd stay, he was automatically ready to enter into the building, and though he may have seemed reluctant, feeling slightly suspicious as to why a stranger would allow another into their own living space, all Harvey could think of was the warm beds and cool baths. Plus, the ability to stay somewhere much nicer looking than a tattered shack somewhere without blankets or food was appreciated.

He didn't mind her judging the consequences. It would be different for her than it was for him or Itzal. A female wondering about with a strange male seemed careless, risky even... No doubt her reputation may be at harm if she were to make consistant moves such as the one that was implied... But, it was just living in the same home. There didn't have to be any sort of relationship present at all, but Harv was well aware that others could assume what was going on, and be very wrong at doing so; rumors weren't often kind ones, but usually wrong.

Then... Women were often lured by welcoming men just to be later taken advantage of and used for the brute's own personal desires... At least, that's how it was in London. That was common amongst gang members, and Harvey's stomach twisted at the memories.

He shook his head, staring into the fire and humming softly to himself as she thought.

Her voice was a relief.

Well, love... Harvey cleared his throat, bi-coloured eyes focused on her now, instead of the flame. I understand your dilemma. I personally wouldn't fink any different of ya, but... Tha's pro'ly 'cause I was given the same invitation from the original owner, an' took it wif'out much thought a' all. The scarred man gave a soft shrug.

I mean, if ya don't feel comfortable wif' it, Miss, I ain't gonna force ya. I'm no brute. Anymore... The cockney male stretched some, before focusing on Aoves last comment. Oh, no no... Aoves, ya would 'ardly be a bovah a' all! No.. An', 'ell, if ya don't want anybo'y t' know, they don't 'ave t'! No business t' 'dem, it ain't, an' tha' way, nobo'y will fink nofin' different of ya... Right? Harv said with genuine smile. He just wished to be kind.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

"I see." Gaze shifted only faintly to the tendrils of flame as she drew out the response; her mind halfway between listening to his explanation and replying to it; there was more hospitality in the land than she'd originally thought. As was often a habit when trying to hide her thoughts, she toyed with her hair, thoughtfully running fingers through soft curls where they lay over the slope of her bosom. Hardly aware of it, her lips had been returning to a slight smile as well. She realized that her mind had already been decided, and she had really just wanted final conformation on his part.

"I probably don't know enough of the others 'ere for them to form an opinion, and it would not matter either way - I think you are alright, monsieur, and they will 'ave to respect that." Head tilted gently with each bouncing inflection, the trills sweetly laced throughout the soft words that slipped past smiling lips. Her eyes would drift along his face and eyes, showing sincerity and making sure it was visible upon his own flame-lit visage. She didn't want him to think she was ashamed of the idea of him. "But if my father comes for a visit, let's just keep the matter quiet, hm?" Tone velveteen and warm, gentle laughter sang in her throat as she spoke again, but in a simultaneous motion she delicately wrinkled the freckled blush button of her nose. She felt she owed her lighter side to him, after the brooding moments of before.

She had been purely joking, it was impossible for the older male to even know her whereabouts, but she still felt the need to restrain a wince. There had been a reason so few males had gotten near her, and it wasn't on the part of her mother. Purity had been emphasized by the old man since she was young, and he probably would have happily ripped Harvey to shreds, regardless of whether or not something happened. Which, as she eyed his warm smile and mismatched eyes, she surprised herself by not being hostile to the idea of.

Summing up the entire situation in her head, she laughed again; though quieter than the last burst of laughter, her body punctuated the sound by rocking gently forward. A weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Finalizing things had been a relief; she'd killed several birds with one stone, shelter, company - and probably best of all - a chance to bathe throughout the storm. Food she would worry about later, for now she had some semblance of safety. She gave a deft nod and a bright smile, finally giving out her answer. "Well, I'm in no position to turn away 'ospitality, and you make it sound so good I couldn't possibly refuse."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

((454)) --

Harvey

Her expressions were hard to read. But, then again, Harvey Butler had never been too great at deciphering other's moods by their facial behavior. He typically incorrectly assumed that the individual was upset with his actions, or had something sneak in mind. It was strange, thinking so, especially with his inflated ego, but maybe that was egotistical in itself; thinking one has such a strong effect on another that even their expressions are directly linked to them.

He was definitely over-thinking this one. He just wanted to make the right impression, and if he was really inviting this woman to live in the same home as him, he needed to.

It was relieving to hear that her reputation was safe thanks to others not knowing her enough. Sometimes, one could benefit from not being heard of.

The mentioning of her father may or may not have been in a teasing manner, but either way, it caused a wave of regret to run through his body. He'd hate to admit it, for he honestly cared and would allow the woman to stay either way, if she needed or wanted to, but the thought of having to fight off an overbearing father wasn't anything he was particularly looking forward to. He let it go with a soft laugh, Ah, yeh... Well, I'll 'ave t' be careful, 'den.

He was hoping she was joking. He wouldn't mind meeting a father, but even if something where to happen (which Harvey wouldn't predict, as he felt it best to let things play out as they must), the red merle dog was capable to make his own decisions, and he felt Aoves was as well, as a strong, independent young lady. Being protective was one thing, but being feared was another. It had taken too long for Harvey to realize that himself...

The laugh was lovely. It lifted his spirit, which had began to teeter nervously waiting for her answer. He'd hoped he hadn't made a mistake, coming off as too easily attached or needy, but he also didn't want to totally reject the thought of helping another out during a rough time; he'd feel even more guilty if he hadn't offered.

Soon, after her proclamation, Harvey let out a mirthful laugh of his own. Oh, great! Tha's wonderful, it would truly be a pleasure of mine. He nodded, putting a hand on his chest. An' I can assure you, if ya evah need t' leave for any reason, or ya don't feel as at 'ome as ya do elsewhere, I won't be offended by your leavin', unless it was me who caused it.

He didn't want her to feel obligated to stay... But he was happy about it already.

<style>
</style>
Coding by Sie
[/html]