dancing in the dark
1. Character Name: Emory Medley.
2. Character Birthdate (including year): May 4, 2004.
3. Whether s/he is a regular wolf or a Luperci: Regular Wolf.
4. Gender: Male.
5. Your e-mail: brendalee-@hotmail.com.
6. A secondary form of contact (AIM, MSN, Y!M): That's my msn.
7. How did you learn/hear about 'Souls?: Sublunary Abyss.

Emory stepped up to the edge of Phoenix Valley’s pack territory. If you could consider it that, it was more like a paw, a couple of claws, just to show how big of a rebel he really was. This hadn't been planned. He hadn't planned on joining a pack; he hadn't planned not to. He was not one to calculate the likelihood of good fortune, but he was sure that maybe settling down would be wise for the time being. A wanderer was the mental name he had given himself over the years, well deserved. He hadn't settled down once since his kin pack. There had never been any need or want to do so. Independence is what he'd left for, and that's what he got. It was well-lived, but Emory knew that he wasn't getting any younger, and it was time he'd established himself for what he was. Or should be.

At least he'd picked a wonderful day for it. Pouring rain slamming down on his snout made for a good atmosphere to be considering his worth coming into a pack. Gargling back water, struggling to keep his eyes open to see who he was talking to, that sounded liable. He chuckled quietly to himself and looked out over the boundaries. Decent place, even if it was temporarily gray and wet. Appealing to the eyes at least, that was nice. Giving a good rough shake of his pelt to get rid of some of the water weight, Emory reclined to his haunches and continued waiting, almost in expectation. Should he wait for someone to find him? Would howling be too pushy? Emory let out of a gruff cough and lifted his left hind leg to give his ear a scratch. He was procrastinating, in a sense. No one would gladly be scoping the borders for wanderers like himself. Wanderers shouldn't be out and about on days like today.

Swishing his gray tail, he felt the added weight and let it slop back on the ground. This was boring. The ground was moshy and uncomfortable. Emory looked around, squinting through the rain, getting a few drops in the eye. It'd be no different if he was looking into the sun, except this weather attacked him. Nah. He'd wait, he loved this weather. His gray and black pelt weighing him down again already, the coldness of the rain sinking in. Peaceful, was what it was. Arguable, yes. But wasn't Emory here under abnormal circumstances anyways? Rebelling, breaking all the rules. It was the perfect day.

Word Count: 424
[html]

Thanks!

her run in with Ahren had left her sore and bruised, and another rib broken. She was dragging her sorry tail home now to sulk, bandage herself and heal. The strap of her pack had broken in Esper Hollow, and she'd left it there. There hadn't been anything important in here anyways. A scent came to her on the rain laden breeze and she looked up, studying the borders. And then there was the stranger.
She approached, the scent of blood heavy in her nostrils. her blood. The rain had cleaned most of it away, but her white pelt still held the scent, and was stained pink in some places. "Hello there?" She spoke into the rain. She stood tall, though iht this moment she was slouching with the pain of her re-broken rib. Ahren had done a number on her once again.
She moved closer, wanting to see the stranger better.

[/html]
Emory's ears drooped a little. He probably looked quite pathetic sitting here, lonely in the rain. The thunder was off in the distance and was only now beginning to rumble his insides. But his efforts were gladly rewarded once he caught another scent in the air. But this wasn't really what he'd been looking for. Had something been killed? Did they offer free snacks to new members? Today /was/ a good day. He smiled to himself. But there was more concern than hunger, since the scent of blood was accompanied with another of his kind. Amber eyes scanned the land when he heard a voice through the rain. His ears perked up once again, swiveling in the direction, his eyes following suit. The figure that caught in his line of sight wasn't the authoritative that he'd been expecting. Instead, it was like looking an old leader. And no snack. How quaint.

"Hello there?"

Nevertheless, she'd come, and was his only company at the moment. He slouched and laid his ears down in a form of respect. It was already hard enough getting smaller than this little female, his body larger in size. Emory let the corners of his lips tug up a bit, still in a decent mood. His eyes waved over the ivory wolf. Or what should have been ivory, his eyes caught over what looked like injuries and bloodstains. Concernment for those he didn't know didn't come easily, it was more interest than anything else. Remembering that he had been spoken to, he turned back to her face and let his smile widen. "Good evening, my name is Emory.." his vocals cutting through the falling rain like it didn't belong. They were rough, not used to being used in weeks. His eyes shifted to his company's wounds again and spoke without looking back to her face, "Uh, are you alright?" Curiosity killed the cat, maybe it would just get him some answers. Amber eyes flicking back to hers, his tone remained light. Of course, it wasn't really his business either.

Word Count: 342
[html]

Should I assume he's unshifted? She's shifted, so she'd actually be taller. LOL
I'm gonna pp a little just so they get inside. LOL

She had a hand on her broken rib as she studied the male. He was certainly poilte, and though the smell of her blood was strong, his scent was clean of the other packs. "Evening, Emory. I'm Deuce Rhiannon, Shaman of Phoenix Valley." This was almost absurd, standing in the pouring rain concersing like civilised folk. His questionmade her smile, which came out as more of a wince.
"I'll be fine once I get back to my house and can bandage myself up." She started towards her house, which wasn't far, then glanced at him. "Follow me if you'd like to get out of the rain, Emory." She could only assume he was here to join. Another male in the pack would't hurt anything. In fact they could use another male to help hunt.
The sky let loose another peal of thunder and the woman glanced to the sky, then began leaing them to her house. She didn't live too far from the border, actually. It was nice to live so close. Once they got inside, she closed the door. She moved into the small living room, lighting the fire she had set up in the fire place. She moved around for a little bit, gathering things, and managing to bandage her ribs, gasping a little as she did so. The pain was intense, and she knew Ahren had broke the same rib he'd broken before. She took a bite of the goldenroot she had set out, chewing it slowly. She'd make some willow tea later.
Once the pain had eased some, she looked to the male. "So what brings you to the lands of Phoenix Valley?"

[/html]
ooc:// Oh yeah, sorry dude. Emory is just this regular wolf boy. Sorry, I see the avatar and assume she's unshifted, my apoligies.

The male nodded at the female's name. He frowned at the hand that she held at her ribs, but ignored the temptation to ask what happened. He was still a stranger here. Unwelcome. At least he had found someone who had the power to let him into the pack or not. That was a plus. When the female, Deuce, had she said? started away from him, he was confused and his ears twitched, but he kept them down. Uh.. what? Go to her house? Emory had always known about the human way of living among the mutilated breeds of his species. He'd seen them on his journeys, he'd befriended them, but he never got over how they could make so much out of nothing and just live like the two-legged barbarians that had once dominated the earth. Living off the ground and in tune with nature had always been his calling, and he'd been content all his life with it that way. It still made him uncomfortable to think of going into something that was a human invention, and live like it was safe and your own.

But did he really have much of a choice here? He'd come here looking for something, and it seemed that it was his only option to follow her wishes. As "Shaman" of this pack, he'd probably have to get used to taking her orders. Not that she'd been rough about it. He had been given the choice. Did he want to get out of the rain? Hey, Emory loved the rain. Even though he felt it, he wasn't scared, and without a hint of reluctance, he followed behind his potential authoritative to her.. house? Keeping his shoulders low and eyes diverted, he stepped further and further into the boundaries, smelling the faint scents of wolves and creatures. He'd get used to it, he was sure.. hopefully. Though, he /had/ expected a bit of a longer trek into the jungle, but it happened that his company's confinements were only a short distance from the borders. Closer towards the door, he thought it'd be gentleman-like to give his pelt another hard shake before entering her house, which he was looking forward to being warm and dry now that he thought of the alternative condition. Minding not to shake onto Deuce, he lagged behind a tad, shook, and caught up to her before too much rain could latch onto his fur again.

Tentatively walking inside, Emory eyes the structure and things inside. It never felt right, walking into such a civilized place, after living outside for so long. Almost like he was cheating nature. But nevertheless, he took a seat on the floor in the living room, and watched as the ivory colored female made her way around the room, applying herself to different tasks. He kept himself from frowning at the civil place she had inside. It wasn't a disapproving feeling, just a ..not used to this.. feeling. Looking at the fire warily, he knew that it wouldn't spread out of control, but bare instincts nicked at his brain. It always made Emory wonder how such developed.. beings of his species could be so different. Made him kind of upset that he had no thumbs to work with. Though, he'd never gotten to gene from his parents; there had always been the rumor that it in the genes somewhere, and that his family had just never used it for so long that it was weak, but Emory really had never listened to the myths. He was perfectly happy with the way he was, on all fours. Lacking thumbs wasn't a big deal to him.

"So what brings you to the lands of Phoenix Valley?"

His face shot up from looking around the house and back to the female, who, had somehow eased her pain and bandaged herself up. A broken rib perhaps? Fathoming, it was, to imagine living with a broken rib.. and surviving! At the least. It was an ever-changing world this earth was, and the older he got, Emory kept finding things so much harder to believe you could survive under such conditions. He knew if he'd suffered from a broken rib as a loner, he'd never survived. But then again, he'd have no one looking out for him out there either. A pack was a good idea in that sense. Swallowing in the back of his throat, he let a smile show on his features, wrapping his tail around his haunches. The atmosphere was quite content and calm, and he felt he had a bit of lenience here. "Mostly a home.. a permanent home that is. I've been alone for a while, and I think it's time to just settle down for some time. I think that's what I'm missing right now," he said, thinking of his past times in the wild, alone. He'd heard of pack life, and he knew there was something good about it, he'd just never been keen on finding out what it was. The home was quiet, but his voice lingered in the air nicely, mixing with the wind and rain outside, and the crackling of the fire in this room.

Word Count: 863
[html]

^^

She was unaware of his unease as she settled herself on the floor next to him, bringing herself down to his level. She was largely unused to interacting with unshifted wolves, she could see why Rurik was uncomfortable with her at first. "Mostly a home.. a permanent home that is. I've been alone for a while, and I think it's time to just settle down for some time. I think that's what I'm missing right now," His answer made her nod.
"Phoenix Valley is a good place to settle down. Our pack is more of a family. A slightly disfunctional family, but we are a family nonetheless. We have a three tier leadership. the matriarch, Iskata; the warrior, Hel, and myself. We chose these lands to be a rebirth of the family like pack. You'll find many of us live in the houses, though some are more comfortable in a more natural den. There's nothing wrong with either."
She smiled at him. "Do you have any questions for me, before I begin asking you all the hard questions?"

[/html]
Emory watched as the female lowered herself to his level. He felt kind of ignorant for making her authoritative figure sink to his level, instead of he to hers. He could have politely got off his lazy ass. But, alas, she didn't seem to upset about the situation, and it seemed that things were already going good. He muttered a quiet, "sorry" and averted his eyes again to the floor. He wasn't doing the best job he could on making a good impression, but she still seemed to accept him thus far.

"Phoenix Valley is a good place to settle down. Our pack is more of a family. A slightly disfunctional family, but we are a family nonetheless. We have a three tier leadership. the matriarch, Iskata; the warrior, Hel, and myself. We chose these lands to be a rebirth of the family like pack. You'll find many of us live in the houses, though some are more comfortable in a more natural den. There's nothing wrong with either. Do you have any questions for me, before I begin asking you all the hard questions?"

Emory could only wonder if she had picked up on his uncomfortable aura from being in the house, but he was also glad to hear that he wasn't the only one in this pack that preferred the outdoors to the contained. It kind of encouraged him to smile back at this Deuce character, appreciating even that small bit of information. It seemed that Phoenix Valley was /very/ family oriented, whether or not Emory liked it. And whether he was here for a family, remained to be seen. He wasn't really interested in a mate, or puppies, or having new 'blood brothers', but he knew it might just happen. Right now, he was content on just making acquaintances. Things would develop faster than he wanted to anyways. He simply shook his head at her question with a smile. "No, ma'am."

Hard questions? Like what.. trivia?

Word Count: 328
[html]

You know, i see they've already titled you up, but i'm really enjoying our thread Smile

"No, ma'am." She smiled lightly. She liked this male. He was polite. So many times, folks lost sight of what was polite to do what they wanted. Her eyes twinkled impishly as she teased the male. "You weren't even going to ask how I got injured?" She chuckled, then wished she hadn't. The laughter hurt her ribs badly. She let out a slow breath, and sobered up a little. Pain. What a wonderful reminder that all is not right with the world.
"Bascially I need to know a little about you. I need to know why you think Phoenix Valley is the pack for you. What can you bring to the pack? What makes you stand out above the rest?" She smiled again. "Shouldn't be too hard."

[/html]
ooc:// ^^

The male smiled sheepishly, but with a tad of smugness at the female's first comment. It was a rhetorical question, but he saw the twinkle of evil in her eyes and could only let his face be mutual. As much as he wanted to continue on in rhetorical sense, he knew snarkasm wasn't his best bet for a while. "Again, not my place to ask. You're welcome to explain if you like, but there's no pressure," he said, only seconds later inwardly wincing at the females pain after she had laughed at her comment. He would like to very much know what had happened, just to understand the environment around here. He'd assumed it was a fight of some sort, most likely, whether it had been with another wolf, or an accident with prey, whatever. Emory was just curious. He didn't necessary /care/ what happened, it just bothered him not knowing. Plus, he didn't like watching this female suck it up through the pain. Broken ribs were no fun deal, he was sure.

"Bascially I need to know a little about you. I need to know why you think Phoenix Valley is the pack for you. What can you bring to the pack? What makes you stand out above the rest?"

Analyzing her statement, Emory started feeling problems arising already. These weren't the 'get-to-know-you' questions he'd expected. Or.. wanted, for that matter. These were mind boggling questions. You really have to think, questions. If you answer them wrong, you've effed up life, questions. Perfect. A challenge. The male cleared his throat quietly.

"Well, to be perfectly honest, what brought me here?.. Specifically, nothing. I didn't scope out lands, analyze pack strategies and numbers, I decided one day that it was time for something new. Another .. 'chapter' .. if you will. I felt if I was going to dedicate myself to a pack, it'd be whichever one I pick, and I'd stick with it. No matter what, he stressed the last statement a little more than the other words, just to reassure himself that he remembered. He knew what he was doing here.

Ohhh, what else, he continued with a sigh, looking to the ceiling in thought, I guess what I'm bringing is all I've got from myself. Loyalty. I know it might not emotionally be here quite yet, but physically, I know if I left this place .. uh.. house now and saw another of one of this pack in danger or.. whatever, I wouldn't think twice about helping them. Or I think I would do that anywhere. That's a bad example," he corrected himself, glancing back to his company. "Uh, like.. if someone were to come onto our lands, a foreigner, my loyalty would lie in here already. Do you know what I mean? Probly not.. I'm not much. Loyalty, I'm fairly strong, and I have a pretty calm head on my shoulders. I hardly think that makes me stand out, I'll never take that title on."

Emory's mouth twisted into a frown as much as wolf features could, and his eyes flicked to the floor. That was probably the worse self-representing speech he'd ever given ever. Granted, he had never given one.. but you'd think he'd know himself a little better than that. Staying with his frown a while longer, he almost scowled at himself, "Sorry," he muttered.

Word Count: 555
She just smiled at him as he spoke. "Again, not my place to ask. You're welcome to explain if you like, but there's no pressure," She figured it probably wouldn't hurt to tell him, after he'd finished speaking. His stumbling speech drew an indulgent smile from her. She'd been just as uncertain when she'd had to tell rurik why he should accept a yearling who couldn't shift, couldn't hunt, and couldn't do much of anything.

"Loyalty is all we really ask from our pack mates. When it comes down to it, it's loyalty more than anything that bonds a pack together. I think you would make a fine addition to the pack, Emory." She grinned at him in a welcoming manner, her tail wagging gently. "I hope you can come to call Phoenix Valley home."
Welcome to 'Souls!

Hey, welcome to 'Souls. You've just joined the craziest bunch of wolf roleplayers on the vast internet. If you haven't done so already, you should check out the RP Guide for detailed information about our werewolves and other general role playing information.

Now that you're accepted, you need to do two things:
___1. Make your first IC post within five days.
___2. Update your profile with a bit of background information on your character.

You can also start saving up Word of the Day points toward titles and icons and cool stuff. Check out the Open Threads and Thread Requests forum for people looking to roleplay. You can post random out of character chat in the OOC Garbage with us, too.