to my beloved
She had been standing on the Quartz Shoreline when the stranger had happened upon her. He'd called to her, a question, yet when she'd turned to aknowledge the stranger it seemed that she'd seen relief and duty in his eyes. She had been wary of his approach, no scent she knew had clung to him so she'd relaxed slightly as she'd addressed his question and confirmed that she was indeed Iskata Sadira. Curiousity had got the best of her when he'd started to ask a number of questions that a close friend or relative would have know but she calmly went along and gave him the answers it seemed that he was seeking. There was little emotion locked away in her voice as she answered, almost as if she didn't care that he seemingly knew her closer than herself, yet too soon she discovered why.

When it came her turn to ask questions it only took one name to make her heart shatter once more as the male delivered a packet of letters and a brief explaination of why he'd come. He didn't even stay long enough for her to jot a reply, if she'd even been able to before he'd disappeared with the early morning fog that the brilliant light of the world was burning away.

She brushed tears from her eyes as she dropped down in the sands and cracked the seal on the one addressed to herself.

Iskata, my love,

I hope this letter gets into your hands, because it means our children aren’t alone. It kills me that I can not be there for them, but I had no choice. If Kansas made it home as I hoped he did, then I hope he told you why I had to leave. If not, then let me explain:

Moon, Kansas and I were ambushed by raiders, and the boys were taken captive… by my father, who is still alive and has joined a huge society of wolves who live in a human city and enslave others to do their labor. I managed to free Kansas and sent him back but then they took me as well before I could free Moon. We were taken into their city and separated. Moon was taken to be a servant, and I was put into a gladiator ring to fight for my life. I helped the other fighters escape soon after, and together we have managed to assemble an army of freed slaves and we are fighting for our freedom.

Moon and I are safe for now, but I can not leave this place until I know these evil wolves will harm no one ever again. We are in the middle of a war and I never imagined how horrible it could be, even after all of Skoll’s stories. I must put a stop to this or else they will come back to your new home and take even more of those we love, maybe even take you.

I hope you do not hate me for the choice I have made, but I want you to understand that I love you and our children with my whole heart. That is the very reason why I am doing this. Also, I can not turn my back on all these wolves who need our help. I hope that I will return someday, but already I am not the same wolf who I was when I left. The things I’ve done, the knowledge that my father is still alive and I hate him for it... nobody can walk away from something like this unchanged.

Please don’t ever forget me. I will never forget you, my love.

Phoenix

She was mute for the longest time as the pain began to grow again, a world that she'd begun to forget and a numbness that had settled on her heart were instantly washed away as she threw her head back and howled. Her tears ran freely down her face as she felt the anger building inside her. The man she'd love had been forced to walk away from their family and yet when given the chance to return had walked away from them as well. The weight of a breaking heart twice broken was too much for her as she covered her face and wept, the words of the letter bleeding just like her heart as tears scored the pages of what anyone else would have thought was a love letter.