on a bed made of concrete.
[html]
Character Name: Jefferson [Maluki Soul]
Character Birthdate (including year): 4 (2004)
Luperci: Yes.
E-mail: deviousgoldfish@gmail.com
AIM: monkey seizure
How did you learn/hear about 'Souls?: I used to play here as Maluki, but left due to school and real-life issues.

Note that Jeffer is all banged up and has been for a while; he's not looking to join a pack because he has no idea where he is or that he's on their borders, but this is still a joining pack nonetheless because things will work themselves out. :3;;
wc541

--

Perhaps it was just his imagination, but the ground seemed so suddenly softer where as he stepped, like a pillow trapped beneath his pads and claws. What a difference that made on aching paws, aching joints, aching bones; it felt as if he had aged twenty years instead of just a few, but it was of little matter to a mauler like Jefferson. The past few years were barely more than a rushed blur in his ever-spinning mind. Incidentally, what years lingered before then had been dashed from his memory as well; all that remained were shadows where pain used to be. Something shot through his heart when he thought about a father he must've had--and always suspected that there was some sort of pain he'd forgotten about still living there, long since forgotten and neglected. Simply put, Jefferson had just stopped caring.

But the ground here, it was so... soft. Perhaps it was because the hybrid had stepped on rocks for too long. Mentally and physically, the rocky road had been a, well... a backbreaking one. For some time he'd wondered where he'd come from, if someone was looking for him--there had always been a nagging feeling that someone was looking for him--but he couldn't remember anymore and moved on just the same. He'd moved on far too much. He was tired of moving on alone, perhaps, but pack life had always been such a foreign concept. There was a certain familiarity to it, especially when wandering on long-deserted grounds where a pack must have once settled. He'd discovered a den that he not only found was vaguely something he could recall, but cozy and comfortable. He'd slept easily that night. Jefferson hadn't slept easily for as long as he could remember. Memories were like poison, like plagues; ever resounding in his head, ever haunting what potentially could have been dreams. What were to be kindhearted and pleasant memories turned into nightmares, and were thus deserted just like the den where he slept. The hybrid could not stand to sleep easily anymore.

His head pounded like rock on concrete; the plush, grassy grounds were comfort for his aching feet for some time, but Jeffer knew how far he'd walked, and knew when walking became his downfall. His bones and stomach could not handle it anymore--ever since he'd gimped his leg, he'd been unable to capture a decent meal in what felt like ages. His stomach constantly gurgled and cried, now emaciated and running along his ribs. The hybrid wasn't proud of his appearance, quite mangled and unloved, but somehow he'd managed to get along. One eye was shut permanently, completed with a gash not only through it, but halfway down the jowls as well. As he stepped off of his limping leg it would ache, and as he pressed it to the ground again, he'd swallow the small whine that surfaced. So had been Jefferson for several months.

He was unable to swallow the whine that time. A painful yelp arose, and Jefferson went crashing to the ground. The questions rose again as always as he laid there--where was he going? Why keep walking? The hybrid heaved a sigh, closed his good eye, and breathed.

[/html]
[html]

Like I said, sorry, but Deuce is typically mean and nasty to hybrids. Though his beat up condition will win a little sympathy. Iskata will still have to come along and tell Jefferson he can stay, cause Deuce will refuse. Nothing against you, but it's how Deuce is. <3

A yelp came to the woman. It had been a busy day, and she just wanted to sleep. She'd gotten beat up by Corona that morning, delivered Naniko's pups (multi-taking, anyone?), and was just wanting to come home and sleep. She was sorely tempted to ignore the yelp, but the healer inside of her refused to ignore it, no mateer how hot and itchy her eyes were. No matter how sore her ribs were.
She sighed, and turned towards the yelp. After a few moments, the sight that greeted her made her sigh again. Someone in pain. Of course. She moved closer, then noted his species. A hybrid. Her fur stood up, and her fangs bared. She started to growl, but growling hurt her ribs, so she spoke instead. "What are you doing on these lands, mutt?"
She hated hybrids and coyotes. A coyote from inferni had killed her son, and then desecrated his body. It had shattered the white female's life. From there on out, she'd despised them.

[/html]
[html]
Who knows, maybe she will turn out to like him! Big Grin
wc322

--

The air within his lungs heaved and wheezed in their slow and weary exits. Rest seemed so far beyond him; it occurred to Jefferson that he'd just fallen again, still unaccustomed to walking on a wobbly limb. It was his own mistake for continuously treating it like it the others, like it would heal on its own and enable him to run again. How he missed running, frolicking--exploring. New sights and smells were once his delight, he remembered; long had it been since he could cover ground in a heartbeat, tongue flailing from his jowls, both eyes staring ahead...

He grunted, eye tensing before slowing blinking awake. The lazy green ocular focused on the white female before him, but her presence and tone had already given her away. He could hardly find a reaction to the term 'mutt', as it was not an entirely unfamiliar association, but it became known to the hybrid that wherever he was, he apparently wasn't welcomed. It was no wonder he'd been a loner for so long. "Ughn... lands?" His ears flipped back and he slowly and grudgingly made the attempt to stand up again, but found himself in more of a submissive position, near to the ground. He'd sort of just stopped there on his way up. Perhaps it was reflex, perhaps not, but at the present time he was in no condition for fighting for his life anyway.

The 'mutt' glanced from side to side shallowly, having to move unnaturally to actually see out of his one eye. "Are these... packlands?" It was his own fault. The scent of the air and ground was only now registering in his spinning head. Something told him the mistake would be a dire one. Eyes shifted back to her. "My bad. Packlands are somewhat unfamiliar to me." He shrugged and bowed his head, struck curious by her rather unfriendly focus on him. "Jefferson. I mean no harm."

[/html]
Unknown to the two Iskata had been sitting in the brush on the outskirts of the woods that ended in the old meadow. She'd heard the yelp just like her fellow leader but when she'd seen that Deuce was handling things she held back from appearing. The words of Aroha seemed to linger in her ears as she caught the scents and sounds drifting back to her. Something about the strange beraggled pitiful male seemed to pull at her memories as she listened to Deuce's rude words to the boy.

She was about to take a step forward but at the last second didn't. She doubted that Deuce would even ignore the boy's obvious pains and injuries.. she was a healer after all. Iskata wanted to learn more of the boy as well.. something was pulling at her memory with that scent that was taunting her and she wanted to know why. She didn't think that she knew him.. but so many time in her past she'd met folks though the only ones that ever held in her memory had been packmates and friends.. she couldn't remember anyone named Jefferson though, or had she misheard the name he'd given Deuce. She would wait and see.. if Deuce let her past get the best of her Iskata was still there...
[html]

Vannah says- Be nice, Deuce; be nice, Deuce. Damnit woman, be nice. ><
Since Deuce won't be nice, she'll walk away instead. Nice lady Iskata can take over. LOL Though if she sees him again, she'll be a little more inclined to be......cold but not evil?

Deuce stared coldly at the injured male. Oh, how she loathed coyotes and their hybrid brethren. Now a growl did rumble in her throat. "Well, Jefferson, your kind is not welcome in these lands. I don't like coyotes, and I don't like half breeds either. So you can just drag your sorry carcass away from here."
The healer in her protested. The mother who'd lost her son agreed. Deuce gave the hybrid one final glare through icy mis-matched eyes, then turned and stalked away. The longer this day dragged on, the shorter her temper got. She couldn't take much more of this without snapping.

[/html]
[html]
Sorry guys, I am mad bored today, so I have nothing else to do but reply to my one little thread so quickly. XD
wc333

--

Ouch. The male's single, dominant green eye stared after her wide-eyed and clearly appalled, and before long his jaw had dropped agape as well. He hadn't been begging for attention, he hadn't been 'trespassing' on purpose... but my, what a temper that one possessed. And funny, Jeffer had always thought he looked more deceivingly wolf than coyote all along. Clairvoyance and general intuition took only seconds to pass; coyotes were not the friendly type in many circumstances, especially with wolves. Clearly--unfortunately for she--someone had double-crossed her in some sort of caustic fashion, and the remnants had yet to disperse from the air. Putting two and two together was not such a tedious process. An ear flicked as he struggled up to his haunches. For a brief moment he wondered what she might've done if he'd just stayed there, sitting on those coyote-free borderlines he'd marched himself onto, but found it more beneficial to his health that he not try and intimidate what could be an enemy on lands he didn't find himself appreciating after a welcome like that one.

"Take care of y'self, lass," he called suddenly, "'m about your loss." He bit his tongue immediately afterward. Bad idea. It had been words of comfort, reassurance--but with that attitude, they definitely wouldn't be absorbed well. Jefferson didn't even know what rank she could've possessed, but on the chances that she was some sort of leader in those foreign lands, some sort of power had to lurk within necessary for such a role, and he himself was of no condition to try and fight that off. He hastened to his feet, tipping over once in the meantime and unfortunately landing again on the ground with a disgruntled grumble, before successfully climbing to his feet. Where could he go from here--back from where he came? His ears flattened again, emitting a stressed sigh, before he managed a turn-around and got to skidaddling before she came a-running with her fangs held high.

[/html]
Iskata watched the scene unfold before her and when the echoing words of the Shaman reached her she sighed and shook her head sadly. She knew that her fellow leader had no love for coyotes, the manner at which she'd addressed Iskata's own son had showed that.. but she hadn't thought that the lady would refuse to help the male. Some part of her mind whispered with relief one small good that had resulted, atleast Deuce hadn't turned him away with added wounds or even death as her answer.. the lady's temper could get the best of her.

The silver and gold lady watched as Deuce moved away and the words of the male hit her ears. She shook her head and stepped into the daylight, moving towards where the pitiful male was struggling to figure out what to do now. She called out softly as she moved. "Jefferson! Wait.." The words were a command, but a pleading one at that. She'd pushed the teasing thought that she knew the male to the back of her mind when Deuce had thrown the male to the side like waste.. and the thought would remain there for the moment as she stopped short of where the stranger stood.

Her bejeweled tattered ears were perked forward, concern on her face as she apologized. "Deuce... well... sh'es a bit touchy at times.. A coyote killed her son.." She knew it wouldn't excuse the way he'd been treated but she wanted him to know the truth, that he was welcome here, "IF you're looking for a home, there is room for you here.. It doesn't matter if you're wolf, coyote, dog or just a mixture of anything and everything.." She smiled at him, her eyes traveling over his form as she examined his appearance.

Shoving her muzzle into the pack that she carried around her neck she pulled out four or five strips of jerky, knowing that the boy looked dead on his feet. She tossed the tough meat to the male. "I know it's not the best, but it can keep hunger at bay.. and I hate to say it, but you look like you need a bit of help there..." She gave a weak smile to the boy. It took her a moment before she realized that she hadn't even introduced herself. "I'm Iskata, the matriarch in these lands, Deuce is one of my fellow leaders.. Hel, she's heavy with pups, but she's the third in our counsel... Together we watch over these lands and the pack, we live together like family.. as you can tell we're a little dysfunctional.." she joked, hoping the boy wouldn't take it too hard, the words of her co-leader.
[html]
Sorry for the slight delay. In a short process of events, my computer broke. =_= So I'm actually using my roommate's for tonight and tomorrow.
wc481

--

To be honest with himself, he hadn't really been looking to join any 'packlands' in the first place, as the male had sort of stumbled onto them without any real knowledge or purpose of being there, other than wandering at his slowed and pathetic gimp pace. When she approached he spun around--more in defense, as his instincts and reflexes were a bit slowed and gimpy due to hunger strains--in fear that Deuce was again after him after that unintentional remark. And of course, moving that quickly toppled him over again and he met the dust once more, but in the face of a wolf that stood out to him as the leader, he struggled to the submissive position again before any slashes or gashes could whip through. After that first one he met, he couldn't imagine what rage her superior could possess. But when the matriarch leapt from god-knows-where-and-I-really-must-be-ill-that-I-didn't-notice-the-scent and plead after him, the hybrid was moved by her compassion (in contrast to the lesser in command who had snapped at him earlier).

"I understand. That's sort of what I pieced together." His good eye thinned in an embarrassed shame when she began to look him over. He looked pathetic--he knew. The male was trying to make it through on his own. Obviously it wasn't going so well, but... "Ma'am, I've never been one for packs. Not sure I'd be one to fit in, to be honest. Been a loner all my life." Well, as far as he could remember, anyway. But when she she tossed to the ground what immediately clicked in his head as food, he lunged forward at it like a starving animal--not far from the truth--but quickly stopped himself before he could touch it and quickly backed away. These two leaders were so different. It almost felt like he was being played and set up at this point. Tail and head dipped, hanging low to the ground as his ears flipped back. His eyes kept flickering back and forth between food and matriarch. Hungry. So hungry.

"I don't get it," he remarked finally, shaking his head a little. "Your packmate sent me away for being part coy', but you invite me all the same and give me food. How--where--could I be placed in a pack where I wouldn't be killed or attacked by my superior?" He frowned still, green eye slowly turning to the ground. He could feel his stomach growling after the lingering scent, inviting and taunting from just steps away. He was hungry, but he wasn't stupid. Daring, possibly. He shrugged. "I guess I'm not one to ask, though. My apologies, ma'am. The thought of getting to eat at night is something foreign to me." Frightening, actually. Did she understand? Jeffer certainly hoped so. "I've heard some packs have methods of healing. Not my trade." Not completely obvious.

[/html]
She watched him sadly as he tried to submit to her, she'd never been use to seeing lower ranked wolves submitting to her as a higher ranked wolf and hardly ever had she demanded others to do thus. She shook her head and spoke softly, trying to get the boy to calm down in all the ruffles he was throwing up. "Son, you don't have to lower yourself before me.." Her words were light and a soft smile lit her lips as she hoped that he'd realize that she wouldn't attack him for not showing her that he was a lowly rankless creature on her lands.

When he spoke of understanding where Deuce came from she nodded, her thoughts off following the other leader for a moment but returning as he spoke on himself and being a loner. She raised a brow and asked. "Well, we're not really that much of a pack.. more like a family.. we even tend to fight like one from time to time.." she joked badly as she tried to get the stranger to relax as she studied his scrappy and scrawny self. "Have you been a loner your whole life?" she asked, still wondering why she thought she knew the poor fellow. She honestly couldn't place how or where.. maybe in her elding days she was getting forgetful.

She watched the boy as he so quickled leaped for the food yet fell short and didn't touch the meat. She cocked her head to the side and sighed softly. "It won't kill you, I promise.." she said, a slight amusement in her eyes as she teased. "I'm not that bad of a cook, though I know most prefer their food fresh caught.." She flicked her tail back and forth like a mother waiting for the child to stop being stubborn and finally eat their veggies. She wasn't for certain if he really could grow to trust her but she didn't want him to waste away before her eyes.

Finally it seemed he gave in and spoke again, asking her the question she should have known was coming. With a slight smile she chuckled and admitted. "My own son is part coyote, my best friend as well.. why would I hate another because of the blood in their veins. It's not the breed that makes you what you are.. it's the raising." She looked away towards the distant lands of Inferni as she spoke of the truth. "Many coyotes raise their young to hate wolves, and many wolves raise their children to hate coyotes.. how can the world change if we don't try and live in peace.." She smiled at the boy as she turned her eyes back to him. "Besides, you wouldn't be the first hybrid in these lands, there are others in our pack. Deuce may not want you in the pack but she'd learn to live with you once she knows you're here to stay."

She watched him with sad eyes as she tried to coax him to eat once more, "Go ahead.. try it.." she said as she gave answer to the question on healers and their works. "Our pack practices the ways of the wolves and to the change.. to the good that the humans may have known with their healing skills. Deuce has spent much time working and learning the skills. I've studied them a bit as well.. but I'm just a shadow to her light." she smiled pathedically as she admitted her weaker skills to those of her coleader. She wasn't for certain if she could convince the male that Deuce was mostly harmless, just a bit grouchy after it all was said and done.. but she'd try.
[html]
My computer is still being fixed. SIGH.
wc433

--

At her kind words, Jefferson slowly managed to stand up straight. Had he been hunched over much longer, he might've just fallen over again--the odd position was a hard one to maintain in his condition. Unfortunately, his condition made just about everything ten times harder than it should be, whether it was walking or eating or just breathing. He gave her a half-hearted, jowl-scarred, one-eyed smile--a pathetic piece of flesh and bone he was, Jeffer believed, down to the very fabric of his being.

"Can't say I've ever had anything more than m'self," he commented quietly, shrugging his bony shoulders a little. "Been alone as far back as I can remember. ...but most of my puppy times are shot out of my memory now. Can't remember a thing that far. Packs and family... eh. I always wondered, but didn't wonder enough." She kept giving him the weirdest looks--glances that seemed to look past his emaciated flesh into something further, of course as to what was a mystery. He tried to ignore it, eventually leaning down and gently munching at the food she'd tossed to the soil for him as he listened.

"It's a shame," he mumbled, mouth full. "Kids shouldn't be brought up that way. Hell, we're all made of the same shit. What difference does it make." The male grunted and nearly choked on the jerky as he was inhaling it much too quickly. Being half-starved tends to rush some when they get the chance to eat something actually substantial. "It's delicious. ...Thank you." His eye glanced up at her earnestly, taking a moment more before raising his head again. Deuce hadn't been fond of him. A spare, sentimental glance at his gimpy leg resulted in a sigh--the white wolfess would never treat him with his coyote blood. Whether or not her superior had already realized this was beyond he, but Jefferson found it wiser not to bring it up. He had gotten through months already on the leg anyway; what was a few more?

"I appreciate your invitation," he remarked quietly, smile and shrug returning once more. "Guess it wouldn't be so bad. It'll be a change, anyway. That is, if you have room for a gimpy skeleton." He tilted his head to the side understandingly. "I'm not of much use now, but when it comes to, uh... stationary activities, give me something to do and I'll do it." He was horrible at running, but hell, he had plenty of stories that the pups might want to hear. It was about all he was good for, now.

[/html]
She nodded at the words that the male spoke, it was a sad thought that he didn't know his family or could even remember them but if she actually thought about it there wasn't much she herself could remember about hers. Small tiny memories of their imaginary world and whisps of her mother and father but it seemed the older she got the more she forgot, the good times were drifting away and leaving her with shadows of memories and wishes of what was no more. She shook her head and admitted shamefully. "I'm not even for certain I can remember much of my own childhood anymore.. but I guess in time everything fades away in the end." She didn't want to believe that and it was hard to submit to he cold hard facts.

She watched him quietly as he set into the meats, a soft smile falling upon her lips for a moment at the fact that he finally was eating.. It was more than apparent that he needed it more than she did. His views on hybrids were about as much as she felt, though at times she was still wary of the coyotes, but the clan would do that to one. She shook her head in sympathy and spoke softly. "Generations of the same traditions and beliefs are hard to break I guess.. or fear of change. I don't know, I gave up trying to understand their reasons for regression." She chuckled sadly at the thought and flicked small seeds away that clung to her paws with a swipe of her tail.

She nodded quietly when he thanked her for the meats and she grinned as he changed the conversation to the invitation and his abilities and lack of. She shrugged and teased the male. "If we have room for grouchy ol' woman, hybrids and dreamers.. I think we can adapt to having a gimpy beragged fellow as well." her eyes danced with mischief as she admitted. "Just don't get too close to the bull in your condition, he does like to make certain we're paying attention and lively on our toes." She paused a second before continuing. "And in your case.. I think he'd be more than delighted to see you off your toes."

She tilted her head towards the dirrection of her cottage and asked Jefferson to follow along. "Well, let's get you something a little more filling in your system perhaps, and maybe some rest. We'll talk about duties and chores another day.. You're already dead on your feet, let's not try and work you to death your first week.." She smiled and was thankful that her cottage wasn't on the other end of the packlands like Deuce's was, being right in the mists of the packlands kept situations like this from being hard to handle. She knew she could carry the male if he passed out, but she wasn't sure how his dignity would hold up if she had to.
[html]
I'd say we're about done! We can probably close it after this post? :3
wc306

--

It was a bit rare for something to happen so prematurely, but surprising even to himself, Jefferson had already developed a sort of soft spot for the matriarch--he highly respected her sympathy and immediately found himself pleased with a pack leader like she. Iskata was very nonchalant and easygoing, it seemed, but the slight cunning edge he'd seen in her eyes evoked a small chuckle of amusement from the male. He could admit, something about her did seem a little eerily familiar; perhaps it was she reminded him of someone, whether it was his mother or any siblings he might've had, but in the end he found her company pleasurable, and the hybrid began to smile more genuinely. For once, his stomach wasn't growling or eating itself from the inside out. He could appreciate that.

He could appreciate a dysfunctional pack: a big group of dreamers, hybrids, and gimpy skeleton grouches like he had become. She provided a short bit of advice to him that he took to heart and nodded when she invited him to the cottage, as foreign and unexpected as it all was. For a moment after she turned away he had to blink and look around to ensure himself that he wasn't really daydreaming, before the hybrid picked up his good heels and scrambled after her at a speed he could manage. For some odd reason, his grin was plastered on his face as if permanant--something about the whole pack ordeal had him grinning ear to ear, though he couldn't imagine what. The dreadful feeling that had sparked from Deuce's greeting had developed into a fleeting, joyous emotion that would've had him skipping--skipping?!--if he wouldn't have fallen over when trying. "Thanks, Iskata," he called after her in following. "I think I might just like this place after all."

[/html]
She chuckled as she heard the words from behind her, turning her sun shot sky blue eyes to gaze at the male a moment she smiled. "It does tend to grow on you after a while.." she admitted. Even if she didn't love every spot of the lands yet she knew with time that she would. There was nothing in Phoenix Valley she hated, even if there were some sad memories already written in their history she knew that happy ones were growing and evolving as well.

Flicking her bangs from her eyes she lead him on towards the cottage as she smiled. "Now let's get you settled in now.." It wouldn't take them long to get to her cottage, get a little more food in the boy and find him a spot to sleep off some of the effects. When he was awake and refreshed he could discover the world he'd walked into and find his place as a packmate. She smiled at the idea, though there was still something teasing at the back of her mind.. why did he seem so familiar..
Welcome to 'Souls!

Hey, welcome to 'Souls. You've just joined the craziest bunch of wolf roleplayers on the vast internet. If you haven't done so already, you should check out the RP Guide for detailed information about our werewolves and other general role playing information.

Now that you're accepted, you need to do two things:
___1. Make your first IC post within five days.
___2. Update your profile with a bit of background information on your character.

You can also start saving up Word of the Day points toward titles and icons and cool stuff. Check out the Open Threads and Thread Requests forum for people looking to roleplay. You can post random out of character chat in the OOC Garbage with us, too.