sing the sorrow
[html]
Nani-boo! Updated to October 22 or something like that.

The day the puppies were born, Kansas had been trying to fulfill Phoenix's desires. He went in search of Ember, Firefly... one of them, or at the very least, someone who knew where they were. But he was like a child lost in the grocery store - he entered the isle just as the ones he needed to find left it. Not only had he returned to Crimson Dreams empty-handed, he'd also missed one of the most important days in his best friend's life.

His stomach was in knots. This guilt was nearly as bad as that which he'd felt about the night with Naniko and Lucifer. His leader would probably think he no longer cared for her. Kansas had so looked forward to seeing her little ones the very day they were born, and now he'd missed a moment he could never earn back. His ears folded against his skull, he rested a short distance from the lake, thinking with his head on his paws. In a few minutes, he was sure he'd have enough courage to find Naniko and, once again, apologize to her.

[/html]
[html]

"Oh, you quit that. Don't think that I don't see what you're doing, Brook...." She put a paw between the two pups, scooting them apart. They sat outside the cave in the sunlight, Naniko sitting with two of the three triplets. Brooklyn was always up to something, and she had to keep an almost constant watch on her. She'd either be getting into fights with the other pups, doing something dangerous, or convincing one of the other pups to do something dangerous instead. It was hard work keeping an eye on her.

The white, blue-eyed pup looked back up at Naniko, then turned away from her sister, who she had been hassling. Brooklyn and Mati were the two who always seemed to be fighting, worse than Salem and Haven combined. Naniko yawned, flopping over onto her side, her job done. Mati had moved away from her sister, sitting over near Haven instead, where she was more welcomed. Her brother licked at her ear a little then settled back down, putting his head on the ground. Today was a lazy day, one where they wouldn't do much of anything. Anu was out, so Naniko was babysitting this time. Brooklyn wandered a little ways away, but not out of view, sniffing around at different plants, while Salem curled his black body up to Naniko's side.
[/html]
[html]
WOW I replied.

Kansas got up and stretched, ready to start looking for his leader. It had been so long since they actually talked, and he hoped there wouldn't be too much residual awkwardness. He loved Naniko - like family - and if they weren't as close as they'd been perhaps six months ago, it was his fault and his alone.

As it turned out, he didn't have to go far. As soon as he saw her brilliant white fur, four little ones playing or resting around her, he knew he'd found Naniko. Immediately, as if he had no control over it, he smiled; they looked happy. He approached her, still grinning, and paused a few feet away to study the puppies. There were two little girls and two boys, all beautiful. It appeared as though Nani had just put a stop to some sort of shenanigans. "Naniko. You look tired." He laughed a little uneasily. "They're... adorable. I'm sorry I wasn't... wasn't there."
[/html]
[html]
Sorry for taking so long D:

She really was tired. Naniko didn't know how Soran had done it, how she'd managed to raise Conri. Or how Iskata had managed to raise her! But Naniko had experience with pups, which was turning out to be very valuable now that she had her own. She had taken care of Davinci when he'd been little, and even back then the boy had been a troublemaker. Always getting into fights or wandering away where she couldn't find him. And then Conri had come home with Dhalia and Khaden...

The alabastor male approached and her tail thumped against the stone floor of the cave, stirring up dust. The pups seemed interested, but only one approached Kansas; the small white Brooklyn. She could barely speak, but did manage to get a few fragmented words out. "Whozz Yooo?" She wanted to know who had interrupted quiet-time. This was the time for light playing and resting. Was he here to rest, maybe?

"Oohh...I am." Naniko said in agreement, looking up at him. "Anu's out, so they're all mine for the day. We share."She had already decided that it was best to pretend that nothing had ever happened--that they'd never done anything, and that nothing had resulted from it. This was just Kansas, her younger brother, coming to visit his neices and nephews. "It's okay--I don't remember much from that day. It was just a horrible, painful experience. I had wondered if you'd left, maybe...how have you been?"

[/html]
[html]
No problem! Oooh, I love your table! Hmm. I believe I'm due for a Jamestable.

He couldn't imagine what it was like to be a parent. He had heard that it was "rewarding," whatever that meant, but also very tiresome. Naniko looked like all she wanted to do was sleep. He was sure she loved her children, but he hated to see her so worn-out. He hoped this was normal. He'd been too young and therefore stupid to notice his mother's behavior when he and his siblings were little, so he honestly had no idea.

The little pallid girl came toddling toward him, her eyes bright with curiosity. His smiled transformed from one of unease to one of gentle happiness - how could he help it, with a child so sweet? He got down on his belly to make himself seem less imposing, because he knew he wouldn't like a stranger suddenly approaching just to tower over him. "I'm Kansas, your mama's... brother." The word seemed tainted. But he tried to ignore the feeling. Kansas had also been attempting to forget what had happened in the old house. He wanted them to be the same as before so badly. "What's your name, sweetie?"

He glanced at the child's mother with a calm grin on his face. "No. I don't think I could ever leave." He swallowed. "I'm... sorry. I'm glad everything went all right." He paused. Should he mention Savina? He had the impression that Naniko was kind of... uncomfortable, about them. He chose not to, not now, in front of the puppies. "I've been okay. Happy. I really love it here... What about you, other than tired?"

[/html]
[html]
What lyrics would you want on it? Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin I would definitely make you one. I <3 Ingrid Michaelson.

Naniko was sure that she had been a hassle to Iskata when she had been little. But with a broken leg, the girl had spent the first week or so of her adoption in the den. She had fallen from a cliff and had been found by the then-pregnant mother, so she had taken some recovery time. Naniko was glad that Iskata had been the one to find her, though; now she had a very large, very extensive family. Her pups would have a big family, too.

When Kansas began to speak to Brooklyn the girl looked like she wasn't sure what to do. She looked nervously back to Naniko, then to Kansas again. She was lower in the pack than he was, wasn't she? "Bookin. Brookin." She tried twice to pronounce it, looking a little more secure the second time. "I'm excited to get back to the herbs soon. When the pups are able to go out on their own, then I'll have more time to help out other packs again. Normally there's someone somewhere who's hurt, you know."

[/html]
[html]

Kansas loved being born into such a vast family, and he was so happy for Naniko's pups for having the same privilege. He'd had not only is parents and siblings, but those like Naniko and, of course, Storm. The possibility that Naniko's children might feel alone or lost was lessened just that much because there would always be someone else to turn to. Even if one didn't take advantage of this, there was comfort in knowing it was there.

The creamy wolf hoped he had not frightened the girl; she seemed uncertain about him. But a quick glance toward her mother appeared to reassure her, and she stumbled endearingly over her name. Kansas nodded to let the child know he understood, giving her a soft sort of smile. He remembered fondly Naniko's drive to help others, even those outside of her own pack. And species, he recalled, thinking of their badger incident. "Yeah, I know. They'll be... grateful." His smile shifted from Brooklyn to Naniko. She was still the same, selfless girl he'd known as a child. "I wouldn't mind watching them if you need me to, sometime. If you'd like to go somewhere." It was just an offer - he was sure that even aside from Anu, Nani had plenty of help.

[/html]
[html]

She knew that Kansas was strong enough to defend the pups if they ever got into any big trouble. Naniko hadn't run into anything too huge yet, just a badger or a raccoon...but she did worry about that. What if, when they were on their own, they ran into something like that? Kansas had once helped her out when she had been trying to fix up a badger. But that felt like a lifetime ago, now. Everything was so different.

"I would love that. There are some days when Anu and I just want to be alone, too--I'll definitely some get you, if there's ever a day like that." She nodded. "Oh. But speaking of family---I did see another one of ours lately. Ember. She comes into Crimson Dreams sometimes...but always leaves before dawn. If you ever want to catch her, that'd probably be a good time...night time. I haven't yet. I figured if she'd come here to see me she would have found me by now" Maybe she had come for Kansas.

[/html]
[html]

Perhaps offering to watch the puppies wasn't realistic. Naniko had never before trusted him with anything so precious, and their history was now clouded. They were both trying to ignore it, he knew. But in all honestly, her children were among those he'd watch out for with every inch of his will. Should Naniko ever let him "babysit," she needn't worry.

The Sadira tried to ignore the tinge of discomfort he felt at her mention of Anu, and simply nodded. Naniko may have said so simply to make him feel good about something; he was aware of that. It wouldn't have mattered if so. He felt all right enough just having given her the opportunity to take a break. "All right. If something comes up, I'll be around." He watched the sleeping children with a small smile as he listened to his friend. The mention of Ember surprised him, and he felt almost as horrible as he had last time he'd seen Firefly.

"Oh. Really...?" He bit his lip. "Thanks. I haven't seen her in so long. I don't... take the time to see her enough." He looked at Naniko's face, wondering if she ever did the same with any of them. Probably not. Even with children and a pack to run, she probably saw their family more than he did. "I feel terrible. I'll find her, if not tonight then tomorrow."

[/html]
[html]

"I think there's something wrong with her. I don't know what. But it must not be anything too bad, because she hasn't actually sought me out. I don't know...maybe there are other healers wherever she is." She nodded. "I don't see much of the family, really. I haven't seen mom in a while or Ember. And Firefly? I think I've only seen her once since she came back. There are so many of them out there...it's too hard to keep track of all of them all the time."

Brooklyn came toward Kansas, bumping into him with her nose. "You iss play?" The others looked interested at the idea, Mati lifting her head and looking toward the pair, Salem and Haven glancing their way as well.

[/html]
[html]

His eyes widened with that first sentence, suddenly full of ten times the guilt. As Naniko continued, he relaxed ever so slightly, but he was still concerned. He'd always wanted to take care of Ember, in a different way than Firefly. He wasn't sure why; perhaps because she'd been so sweet as a pup. Even if she had changed (he didn't honestly know), he still felt this way. "I'll talk to her." If something was wrong, he trusted her to care for herself, but he did want to see her.

"I - don't even bother with them... Someday, maybe," he finished vaguely.

He furrowed his brow at the slight pressure he felt on his leg. A small voice accompanied, and he glanced down to find Brooklyn expectantly looking up at him. "Uh-oh." The idea that she felt comfortable enough to play with him touched Kansas, somehow. His eyes softened and he leaned his front half down to her level, his tail waving slowly up high behind him. He growled and pushed her gently with his muzzle, as if to tip her over - but not quite pushing hard enough to do so.

[/html]
[html]
Hehe. We can end this in a few posts? ^^

The small brown Mati rose up to stand beside her sister, though she did not look quite as enthusiastic. Her tail wagged and she looked at Kansas with curiousity. Her mother had been speaking to this wolf, so he must have been an alright fellow. And if Brooklyn was brave enough to come over to him, then she would be too!

When he pushed Brook back a little bit Mati backed away, though, her ears going down. Kansas was so strong! He pushed her sister! But right when she was about to turn away the brown pup felt a nudge at her back. Haven. The big orange boy wagged his tail, standing beside his siblings. If Mati needed reassurance, then he was there to provide it. She was his favorite sister, and he didn't like it when she was afraid. He wanted to make her feel better! And maybe he could play with her, if she didn't want to play with the big wolf.

Haven and Mati started their own game of rough-and-tumble while Brooklyn was occupied with Kansas. At the nudge she gave a tiny puppy growl, swiping her front claws out toward his nose. She wasn't big enough to cause any damage, but it she was play-defending herself. She barked, tail wagging even faster, coming at Kansas again for a second try.

[/html]
[html]
End here? Big Grin

A mock-snarl played on his features; Brooklyn didn't fall over but simply tripped backward a little. She kept her balance very well, and he was impressed. Brooklyn seemed full of not only vigor, but of spunk, too. Kansas wondered if perhaps her mother had been the same way at that age.

He was happy to see the brown little girl, Mati, follow her sister: but her steps were much more hesistant. Skeptical. Kansas was eager to get to know every one of them; however, he also knew knew that Mati would join them only if she was comfortable. But Haven initiated a small battle with her instead, and they tussled close by. The pale Sadira boy glanced toward Naniko, stifling his laughter and failing as a small grunt escaped his lips. Suddenly, he felt a small prick on his nose and gave his full attention back to Brooklyn. "Wormy thing," he said, feigning exasperation and lifting a paw above her like he might let it fall upon her and trap her - she'd probably simply gnaw it out of the way.

"Naniko... your kids are cute. Sneaky, but cute." He smiled, hopeful that maybe he did have a chance to mean something to them eventually; all of them. Even just something small.

[/html]