MY next char, and I want your opinion
Name: Mael Addein

Species: Dog (Siberian Husky)/Wolf (Eastern Timber Wolf) mix

Relations: (See history, it explains better) A rose, a fox(his plushie), a snake, and many others.

Luperci: Luperci Ortus, first shift when he was 4 months old. It was early, but still...

Appearence:
Lupus -> http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87/Ra.../pup_prince.png
Optime -> http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87/Ra...oily/prince.png
He is just like a young, copper-hued husky. He looks younger than he actually is. His eyes are a lighter shade of an ocean blue. He has a rose tatto on the right front paw, and of a yellow snake, around his left hind ankle. Wear a long, yellow scarf in any form(not shown in the Lupus image). He has a fox plushie, with black button eyes, with ears bigger than normal. In the Optime shape, his mane is bright yellow, with messy, short curls.

Personality: There is no better word to describe him than "dreamer". He is very calm, gentle, warm, smart and simplist. He thinks as most kids think: everything is easier than grown-ups think it is. He doesn't understand why they take things so seriously, why things are more difficult to them, when they aren't. Problems comes and goes away, they never stay forever. Nothing can break his kind heart or pure mind. Always has a smile in the face.
He has an adventurer spirit, he doesn't bond to a place very long.

Skills: He can talk withany other animals, and he befriends with them. He understand them, and they understand him. He thinks he can do that because it is normal of any children. It's like creating and talking with an imaginary friend, but it dissapear when kids grow up, and become serious persons. He refuses to become just a thing.

History(by him, true story coming soon XD): Not sure how or when, he was all alone, in a little planet, smaller than an average house. There, there was three tiny volcanos, that doesn't even reached his ankles. One was extincted. It, sometimes, grew a few flowers, with only one line of tiny petals, and they died very soon. There were other plants, but he away ripped them out, because they were baobabs. Those were very lonely, sad days. Whenever they were too sad, he watched the sunsets. When it ended, he backed up a few steps, and he created new ones, whenever he wanted. It was rather boring.
Once, when he was about 3 months old, a new flower started to sprout. Not as quick as the others, not as small, or as simple. A rose. It took long days for her to get ready to first button. "So pretty", he thought. As always, he befriended with the rose and, quickly, they made bonds. He was captivated by the rose, and the rose was captivated by him. He was in love with the rose.
Unfortunately, his adventurer spirit arose, and he had to leave. The rose cried, and so did him. He visited many other planets, finding different kinds of inhabitants. All weird, all grown-ups. Except one. The lamp lighter. His job was util and had a good propouse, and that was why it was beautiful. Sadly, his planet was way too small for them both.
Looking for a planet that had others like himself, others that still thought like him, other kids. Finding Earth, he noted the different kinds -mostly weird- of grown-ups, but the kids as well. He thought himself as a lucky person, but wasn't that lucky. The wind blew strong, and threw him in a ferocious storm, in the middle of the sea.
('Souls starting plot)
He wake up in a beach, with a bleeding ear, a dizzy head and blurred memories. He walked awkwardly, always forward, until he found a fence.
(Here is a long-period plot for him: I want him to join AniWaya while he is a young, but, when he turn 1 year old, he'll leave the pack and travel around 'Souls territories, meeting whoever want to have a plot with him. He will still be a dreamer, but will forget his silly, childish thoughts, as any grown-up. When he reaches Halifax(or something with human works), he'll fight a bear. The bear will attack him and he'll have a bottle broken in his face, leaving a huge scar. He finds a gun and shoots the bear. It dies, and he stays with the gun. He keeps traveling, and ends in the new pack -the one for dog hybrids, if it'll really be founded. He leaves it for a few days to see how AniWaya is going, and so on...)

So, how is it?
*waits anxiously for an answer*
You write that he is able to talk with any other animals? How? Is that something he has learned at an earlier stage in life? It sounds very unrealistic that he is able to speak the language of every other animal (although, I think it's called lower speak or something here, and usually covers most lesser animals) without having learned it first. It is too complicated to be a natural skill (in my opinion that is). Being able to somewhat understand them because of gesticulation and other methods is a completely other thing, and would be more natural. You could also have fun with your character slowly learning other animal languages by interacting with them directly, since he will have a natural 'bond' with them, which could make up for interesting threads and more.

Your ‘Souls starting plot looks okay, although one might wonder exactly how he ended up on the beach. Where does he come from? A ship? Anyways, this will be clearer when you work with his history, looking forward to read it! Smile

One thing I would like to point out straight away is that you are allowed to have a maximum of two characters in the same pack, and the second of those have to be directly related to at least one other member. In other words, it will not be possible for you to have him join Aniwaya because you already have two characters present there, so you might have to rethink where he will stay.

Another thing I would like to mention is the fight with the bear. A bear itself is a big and seemingly slow animal, but they are very deadly, much more deadly than a single wolf, and surprisingly fast. How exactly will all this happen? From what I’ve understood from a broken bottle and then a gun, you will have to come up with a very good fight plot to make it realistic. How does a bottle break in your character’s face? A bear’s clawed paw can more or less tear a face off a body (normally tear it apart with a single swipe, but that sounds gooier) if it hits, and it will not need a bottle to stab a face in (if this was what you were thinking of, you should add more detail, because I might have misunderstood). The gun too makes me curious. How and where will he find it? I doubt there would be a lot of ready loaded guns around in Halifax (though, I’m not saying there can’t be XP). If it is his first experience with guns, I doubt this plot would be very realistic. Few characters in ‘Souls carries fire weapons, and even though quite a few knew what they are, they do not know how to use them, how to aim, how to pull the trigger. Especially with a face bleeding heavily from the broken bottle, it would be an extremely hard thing to do to find a weapon, aim and shoot the bear, especially since the bear is fast and will not stand around much to leave your character room to roam around at all.

Silly criticism ftw D: <3
Interesting read! I think your story for him is beautiful, although I have to point out like Libri that it is almost impossible to have him simply know how to talk to other animals. Like I learnt English in school, the characters in 'Souls can learn how to speak to other animal kinds, although it is very hard without a tutor, and definitely not something one is born with. It also takes a LOT of practice. Among the animals we roleplay, there are two languages (at least as I can recall). There is low speech and high speech. Our wolves, as well as any other of the canis family which got altered by the virus, speak high speech to each other. Unaffected animals speak low speech. Birds, cows, but mammals. Insects don't speak as far as I know. And certainly not plants - so he cannot have that relationship to the rose, as in 'Souls, plants do not have consciousness. It is impossible for the rose to be captivated by your character, although of course your character can be captivated by the rose! The plant itself just cannot feel stuff.

Edit: I tried to find something in the RP guide on this language stuff, but I found nothing. I'm dead certain there used to be some info on such things somewhere though! Anyone else remember?

Regarding the looks of your character - keep in mind one thing. The wolves/animals we roleplay in 'Souls cannot have naturally funky furs. Quoting the RP guide:

[html]
"'Souls is fairly lenient when it comes to colors, but completely unrealistic colors are not allowed. For example, a dark red or rust-colored wolf would be okay, but a stop sign red wolf would not be allowed. Keep in mind though that the rule only applies for a wolf's natural color. Your character is free to dye his or her coat whatever crazy color you want, so as long as they aren't naturally that color"
[/html]
In other words - if you want his mane and the like to be bright yellow, he would also have to know how to dye furs, unless of course, this is something you add after he comes to 'Souls, and he finds someone to either teach him to dye furs, or to dye his for him. You would also somehow need to account for the tattoos, but I'm guessing they weren't there when he was born, but was added on his journeys before he comes to 'Souls?

Lastly something on the bear fight! Like Libri says - the bear is large and strong. A grown bear will completely destroy a young pup if he attacks it - the pup is about the same size as one bear leg at the age you give your pup. Also it is unrealistic that the bear would smash a bottle in his face, unless they are in a scenery where bottles are present and it happens as an accident. As far as I know the bears remained untouched by the 'Souls virus, and thus do not shift or think as the werewolves. In other words - it will attach as a predator. Lastly, gun = won't work, probably. Guns that has been lying around since the humans died are likely to be rusted to pieces by now, and malfunctioning. The plan with the bear still falters the second the bear attacks, because a grown bear would almost instantly kill a 5 month old wolf pup - no question about it. They are incredibly strong.

If you want to maul your character's face, an elk's hoof will probably do. Have some large deer or something kick him in the face - hooves can leave nasty scars! It is far more realistic and easier to plot out than a fight with grown bear vs. soon-to-be-dead wolf pup.

Your imagery for the pup is adorable though! And I like the name of it, and the husky mix thing. Huskies are cute. Oh and your 'Souls starting point sounds funky, and it would be interesting to see how he reacts to having a memory loss! Memory loss is always entertaining when it isn't in the real world... Tongue

Hope any of this is helpful Smile
QUOTE (Dawali Amara @ May 20 2009, 07:53 AM)
Edit: I tried to find something in the RP guide on this language stuff, but I found nothing. I'm dead certain there used to be some info on such things somewhere though! Anyone else remember? [/quote]
Under Frequently Asked Questions:

Quote:Can I talk to birds/fish/whatever?

This is a little more complicated. Most lower-end-of-the-food-chain animals speak what is known as "low speech," which is something very few canines take the time to learn. Within this language, the dialects very from species to species and are often garbled and confusing. However, because these two languages are rooted in the same base, small snippets could be understood from the other animal to the canine and visa versa. However, some animals (mostly those who have taken to living with canines) will pick up on the “high speech” and be able to partially or fully, depending on their intelligence, be able to communicate with canines fully. Other large carnivores such as big cats and bears will usually be fluent in "high speech" and are thus able to converse fully with canines.

Hope this helps some. :]
Alright, to my explanations!
Hehe Big Grin

#1= Talking with animals and plants
He is a dreamer. In his hidden story(which he and everyone else will discover by meeting other wolves), he had some experiences in low speech, but only the very basics. With that, he get the skinny of the other animals chat, and he make up the empty places of the phrases. Like, he understands: "I ---- pr-ise" and he make up "I love prince", when the animal might be saying "I like praise". Got it?
Besides, he lost the memories, ad the ones he got are fake, fruit of the ultra-active imagination he got. Beside,s he live one a tiny planet, traveled to other planets without an probable locomotion (he'd need a rocket, to say the least), and fell from the space to Earth without dying. Explaine me if that isn't impossible. He can, then, have a relacionship with a flower, if it isn't real at all.

#2 = Waking up in a beach
At least part of his memories are intact -or almost. He did have an accident in an storm, but it didn't envolve a ship. It's all in his hidden story 8P

#3 = The Same-Pack Limit
I'll make up something for that, worry not

#4 = The Bear Fight
Marit, I understand your point about old weapons. It is just that I don't see many wolves with fire weapons, and it is kind of killing me inside XP~~~
I wanna have a char with a fire weapon, and I made it out of despair... sorry about it, but it's the truth...
About his age, I think he'll be up to the one and something years old there. No, I won't put my little Mael in such a thing, although it's possible and tragic.
How about a more realistic plot about the gun stuff?
He was in a town(Halifax, perhaps...) where he finds a shooting club (how lucky XD) with weird metal objects. Not sure how they worked, he left them there, until he passed near a field with targets, marked with deep holes. He prayed that it wasn't those objects that made all that damage. He was going out of there until temptation got him. When it got to the point he couldn't resist anymore, he came back and reach to the best looking one. A revolver (a Glock 17 9mm, to be more exact XP), which he read about in the guides there. After knowing the theory, he went to the pratic. It took about a week for him to understand how it worked -and to fix some problems it had-, but he finished. A lucky break, after all.
Ready for more, he wandered around the town again, finding a bar. It was dark and still filled with intact bottles. There was a smell in the air that wasn't right. A roar made him turn around, and there was a giant bear. It was enraged, by the way it looked at him. Adrenaline flooded his veins, and it forced him to run. The bear followed him easily, but weirdly limping. His hand was reaching to the gun, but the bear attacked. He got the luck to get hitted by the back to the bear's paw, lightly harmed by the claws, but the impact threw him to the balcony, where many bottle were. The balcony shoke with the impact and the bottles fell, one especially cracking in the furniture, and the cracks hitting his face. He was not fast enough to protect his head; he only got time to turn his face, the right side up to the bottles. The cracks cutted that side only, and he screamed with the pain. He was only lucky that it wasn't enough to reach to his skull bones or -worse,- brain. The bear was startled by his scream for a few seconds, but it only enraged it even more. It stood in two paws, growling, before it could kill him at once. It was enough for him to get the gun and shoot, using his left eye. One shot in the chest. Hurt, but not enough. More two. One lung useless, but it was still standing, but awkwardly, growling in pain. More three. It finally started to stumble. It fell, but tried to get up. His big head was one yard away from him. One shot in the head. Dead, finally.
Bla, bla, bla... you know the rest. I'll only need someone to help him with that wound.

5# = About his mane
I was just trying to emphasize that his mane is blonde. Not a "bright" yellow, but a yellowl blonde, like this on‌e => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Akseli_Kokkonen.jpg

Anything else?
^^
QUOTE (Attila Aston @ May 23 2009, 09:44 PM)

#3 = The Same-Pack Limit
I'll make up something for that, worry not [/quote]
What does that mean? :o
QUOTE (Attila Aston @ May 23 2009, 04:44 PM)
Beside,s he live one a tiny planet, traveled to other planets without an probable locomotion (he'd need a rocket, to say the least), and fell from the space to Earth without dying. Explaine me if that isn't impossible. He can, then, have a relacionship with a flower, if it isn't real at all. [/quote]
I don't understand what you mean by this :/ is it the flower that isn't real, or the relationship to the flower? Is his space travels also in his imagination?

And the edited fight with the bear sounds much more realistic, although I'm still skeptical about the gun. That's ultimately your own choice though, but a gun that's been lying around for too long is useless, and likely to fail. And guns that fail are very very dangerous for the shooter Sad
‘Souls does not allow such an unrealistic story about space travelling and so on, so I choose to believe that this is your character’s made up story (with his actual story being significantly more ‘normal’). However, if you intend to go on with this, it is important to realize that, with such a colourful story that cannot possible be true, your character has a severe mental illness. It is possible for him to believe he is in love and in a relationship with a flower, but this only strengthens his case of a serious illness, and such a character will often be very hard to play if one is to play it realistically. Being in love with a flower should also automatically make him feel attracted to other flowers too, and maybe cause him to feel a stronger belonging to plants than to creatures more similar to his kind. Law of attraction; ‘like attracts like’, and so it would be to be expected that he would have some troubles socially because his view of the world is severely damaged according to his emotions and ’false’ memories. Note that I am not saying that you cannot do this without doing that and vice versa. I am just stating what is a fact, and it is up to you to decide the level of reality.

Bear fight plot looks better, but most of the shots are bound to be lucky, because a 9mm is not very powerful when facing a bear. A bullet in its head would work, at least on a close distance, but a bear’s chest is heavily armoured by bone and layers of fat and thick skin. Though a few bullets are bound to cause damage, I am not sure if the bear would actually go down as quickly as needed in this encounter. How about using that plot in a thread with another participant so that the bear’s focus will not be only at your character? That way it could be distracted by a second party member, and your character could deliver several shots, aiming for the head in general.
About the Same-Pack Limit, I meant that I'll think about it better, and then I'll put what I thought, 'kay?

About his story, I see that you're way too curious to know his real story. So, I'll have to tell it... (darn it XP)
He was born in an dog and wolf pack. His father was a husky mix and his mother was a normal gray wolf. Most of the packmembers were Luperci, including his parents. The packlands were near Portland. It was a tiny village above the sea, supported by lacuns and large buoys, with a small harbor, filled with wooden canoes. A seaside hamlet, that survived of fishing.
There wasn't many plants around, only in land, which he went time to time, with his parents, to exchange fishes, seaweed and shells for red meat and other things with the other packs. The ones that lived in land. Whenever he could, he slipped away to see the plants and wild animals. In those slipperies, he discovered new things and learned with the wildlife, like the basics of lowspeech. He admired the stars he couldn't reach, the plants he barely saw during his life, the beauty of the flowers and their mysterious silent, the amusing sunsets that made all around him red and orange, creating a warm sensation. There, he developed a wild imagination, and grew able to see the most sutil details in everything.
Everything was just fine until he got the age of 2 months, when the pups went to the offshore for the first time, as they grew learning how to swim and canoe. All the kids were already in the open sea when a storm started to form. The adults and youngs were set to go back, but the storm came before.
The heavy rain made the boats sink, the strong wind gushes created giant waves and the bolts almost blinded them. It was a tragic scene, and it was taking them to the atolls, with those sharp corals. Adults and youngs got apart by the terrible weather, some had already drowned, other dead with the impact at the rocks. Mael barely could stay in the surface, holding tight to a big buoy. It had a rope, which he wrapped tightly, but with certain difficulty around his waist.
Unfortunately, a big wave got him to the stones, and hit his head hard. Half unconscious, his life passed in front of his eyes, his imagination creating fake memories, contorting reality with dreams, wishes and desires. Stars, flowers, sunsets, animals, the sea, his family... All mixed and messed up inside his brain.
At least once, good luck was on his side, and didn't make the storm last long. Barely alive, the tight rose and took him away, to the open sea and ahead. The time passed and he was still unconscient, but still felt a sore sensation.
He was asleep when he reached to the land, awaken by a seagull, picking his muzzle. Of course, he was unsure of how he got there, and the messed, blurred memories came up, instead of the real ones, that probably weren't there anymore. Stars, flowers, sunsets, animals, the sea, the storm, his dream of travelling through the stars, of talking to the silent plants, of seeing the sunsets as many times he wanted... It all became his reality.

That's it... he got to 'Souls territories, with the bleeding ear, dizzy head and blurred memories. All result from the concusion for hitting his head on that stone. He dreamed about doing things he wanted to do, of his wishes. Like, to travel through the stars and planets, to talk with flowers, and them answer back, for them to love (to see)him, as he loved (to see)them. Not that he have a serious love with them. Just an innocent, childish way to love. As himself says, he was too young to know how to love his rose.
Besides, most of our memories are fake, fruit of our imagination(that's a fact!) The only thing wrong is that his imagination is too fertile and he hit his head, nearly deleting all the real memories.
I hope that makes any sense to you, guys XP

Oh, and about the fight, the bear was not too far away, let's say... a few meters? Besides, the head wasn't that far from where the bear fell.
Anyway, I was going to make it a thread, but that was the plot idea. What the other party member would do, will interfere a bit, but I hope not that much XD

Glad of your constructive ideas to make his profile better^^
QUOTE (Catherine @ May 24 2009, 05:13 PM)

That's it... he got to 'Souls territories, with the bleeding ear, dizzy head and blurred memories. All result from the concusion for hitting his head on that stone. He dreamed about doing things he wanted to do, of his wishes. Like, to travel through the stars and planets, to talk with flowers, and them answer back, for them to love (to see)him, as he loved (to see)them. Not that he have a serious love with them. Just an innocent, childish way to love. As himself says, he was too young to know how to love his rose.
Besides, most of our memories are fake, fruit of our imagination(that's a fact!) The only thing wrong is that his imagination is too fertile and he hit his head, nearly deleting all the real memories.[/quote]
This is not entirely correct. Our long-term memory (which is what we are talking about here) is a two staged process that starts with short-term memory, and after it is temporarily stored there, it is transferred into the long-term memory. The solid and permanent memory that is being stored can have been slightly altered before it made its transaction on to long-term memory (and same with after!), but a completely new memory cannot fight its way into long term memory without having happened in the first place (unless a mental illness is a factor). Things can be added to memories so that they are altered, perhaps by similar memories, or something that one can tie to that memory. For example, if someone read you a story and you were told afterwards to retell that story from your memory, you would not be able to get it exactly correct, and every time you would try to retell it, it would alter a bit more, yet the general structure remains the same, so to speak. To obtain a completely new set of memories that are not realistic compared to the existing world is very unlikely, if not impossible (being very realistic here, but remember, ‘Souls does not follow these extremely strictly, I’m still just criticising because this forum is to help people with their character/writing, and I am just trying to point out that this is not a very realistic aspect of your character, yet he would probably be accepted and function well once played. The freedom of writing) Imagination cannot affect an entire long-term memory in such a degree as this, and so, only a severe mental illness offers a realistic answer to your character’s issue. There are too many holes for the invented memories to be concrete enough to make him be able to process memory matters properly, if not in the start, then later, because he is an intellectual, functioning being that is able to think and ponder.

I am not saying you cannot go through with this planned plot, because you can, and it will be an interesting character. I just wanted to point this out for further clearance in any case.

Edit; I've been browsing a bit! Here is a little bit about a memory disorder that could fit for your character, seeing he will suffer from a severe memory loss and obtain new ones from his imagination. Confubulation, confusion of imagination with memory
Reminds me of this book my friends who are in french class are reading, Le Petit Prince *scurries off* He sounds like a cool character. Might be hard to roleplay him, though.
Thanks, Libri, for pointing it out. I'm not a doctor, I just read it once in a magazine DX

QUOTE (Vukasin Sandalius @ May 25 2009, 02:26 PM)
Reminds me of this book my friends  who are in french class are reading, Le Petit Prince *scurries off* He sounds like a cool character. Might be hard to roleplay him, though. [/quote]
Yes XD he was, in fact, based on The Little Prince.

Not quite^^ I grew up reading this book^^
You don't have to be a doctor to know at least a little about these things; if you want a realistic character, which is what we encourage, you should do a little more research on the aspects that you are fuzzy on, ^=^ And since this mental disorder business is a large part of your character, it's important for you to understand the superficial mechanisms of such disorders in order to realistically portray them through your writing. And overall, a realistic character is more intersting.

But I'm still reluctant about the gun part of the story-- like Marit said, the gun would most likely not work, if at all. Guns are relatively high matinence.... Your character might not even know how to use it if it came across one, so if it were to use a gun you'd probably have to somehow allow your character to learn the uses of it, and I don't think that a simple reading about the gun would suffice; humans even now assume that all other humans know to pull the trigger, but it might not be apparent to a canine reading about it in a book, you know? ^=^;; Maybe a crossbow would make more sense...? I mean, it's a lot bigger and cumbersome than a revolver, but it'd fit more into the reality of 'Souls, I feel, and it's a weapon that could be duplicated, since it's related to a bow.
Okay, Requiem -_______- I understand what you mean about the diseases. The case is that I'm only allowed two hours of computer per day. And, to check all my mails, Orkut, my own site, 'Souls, etc., and to answer and reply all of those things takes... usually more than two hours. I have to leave some for tomorrow, without counting the new ones that come.
So, I don't have many time for researching and stuff... I only earn more than two hours to do my homework, etc, etc. I know, I know that I have to -at least- have an idea of his mental disorder, but I don't usually have that time -.-'

And, about the gun, I'll be quoting it:
Quote:Marit, I understand your point about old weapons. It is just that I don't see many wolves with fire weapons, and it is kind of killing me inside XP~~~
I wanna have a char with a fire weapon, and I made it out of despair... sorry about it, but it's the truth...
And I mean it. It's kind of bothering me that pratically no one have a fire weapon. And I wanna have one with an automatic Glock 17 9mm!
How about if I just... Let's say that, somewhen, he learns a bit about machines and those things. He gets interested and learns to make simple equipments, and so on, according to the materials he have. Mostly made of natural elements, with some small pieces of metal.
So, as you guys wants, the gun can have problems. He discovers how it works (by the books ;P) and fix the problems, using parts of other guns in the shooting club or hard, natural elements. Does it sounds better? (details, details...)

About the crossbow, I think there aren't many of those around, when you need, like... fighting a bear who wants to torn of your throath? Nor it is easily -and discretely- carried around. He is a traveler, and carrying too many things is a pain in the ass, as he is not heavily built, neither has many muscles in those arms. I would prefer a smaller and lighter thing, so would he.
He would probably have more troubles with that type of gun, even more when shooting. I know, I have already shot with a rifle, and it's rather weighty, without counting that weak limbs tend to shake while holding something heavy for too long(mine did XP) And he would likely miss the target.
I'm just trying to kee
Catherine, we were asked for advice about your character, and that is what we have offered you. You posted your information about your character and we merely suggest ways to improve your character so that it can provide a better roleplay experience for you when you start to play him. As Requiem said, a realistic character is more interesting. This is why we share our thoughts and suggestions, to help you. You say you do not have much time for research, and that is no obstacle, it is fine. The information I provided to you earlier was only to help, as was the link with a fitting memory disorder. It only takes a few minutes to read through it, and if you want more information about this and how memory works, I will provide you with further and more detailed information if you do not have time to look for it yourself. If you need more information and help to modify your character, we will help you with this.

Back to the gun-topic. I can use myself as an example, here. Halo Lykoi is a character I picked up not long ago, and she knows how to use guns. However, in my character’s history, she has read many books and did not obtain the guns until recently after many months of search. With the ones she found, she cleaned them and tested them before she used them, to be on the safe side. That explanation is simple, and it can be accepted, although, when I think about it, I have chosen an easy way for my character to obtain her items. Your character can obtain a gun, if this is what you want to, but the way he does and how he manages to kill an enraged bear without any proper experience with using it. I’ve read a bit about guns, I’ve seen tons of movies of how they use them, often up close, but I know I would have troubles executing an attacking bear with it (and have troubles killing it anyway, because those animals are heavily protected by heavy bones, flesh and skin) , and I would absolutely not use a gun I just found that has been lying somewhere dusting away for many years. See this as an opportunity rather than an obstacle. Your character can spend some time looking for a fire weapon, or he could even attempt to repair a defect one, by cleaning it out/replace parts + maintain it. There are numerous ways to get hold of a weapon, if one is just willing to not take the easy solution and randomly 'find one' that is still working.
Sorry if I'm not supposed to be posting here, but reading the discussion on false memory creation reminded me of some experiments I studied in my Social Science class a quarter or two ago. I found something about them online and think it's interesting and somewhat relevant:
http://www.vho.org/tr/2003/4/Reeves463f.html

That is all, carry on!
I want to point out quickly that we are here to give advice and mentoring, help you with your character creation, and all that... but we are not here to do the research for you. If you want guns for your character, it is more your responsibility to be looking up information and making sure everything is logical and understandable -- at least to the best of your knowledge and your sources' -- and we will be here to point out what is wrong. Guns are very complicated weapons -- you should have already researched them, their mechanics, their origins, etc. and figured out what it is that makes them click (literally). As Requiem and Marit have been saying, firepower does not fit well into the 'Souls environment, and I think you may need to take this a little more seriously.

I see a couple, more prominent conflicts here:
1) Guns and pistols of all kinds require bullets. While it could be explained that old, deserted human villages probably have firepower within old shops, such things would be tedious for a character to carry, tedious to use, and hard to obtain: the character would have to continually run back again and again to restock.
2) If you are planning on keeping some sort of mental illness for this character, I don't think firepower would work in turn. I don't think a character mentally unstable would be able to figure out how to use them, recognize the correct bullets/whatever to fit into the mechanism, reload, etc. The way you were describing this "illness" leads me to think of it as such; obviously not all "mental illnesses" block such capacities.
3) In talk of bear attacks and such, with all this in mind, I see it hardly likely that the bear could have been shot. First of all, one swipe from a bear can send a wolf flying, and the first couple bumps and bruises can be dizzying enough to make them very vulnerable (best examples: Jefferson, Iskata). So if the character was able to avoid that, well, good for them. Secondly, an unstable character might have more reflex to run rather than fight: depending on which way the character's personality shifts, if the character is weak-minded with pistols that he knows are faulty, he will run for it. Strong-minded or audacious characters in the same state might shoot despite it; whichever would be true for your character is up to you, along the way in the creation process.
4) You can't just say he has a failing gun. A gun that fails enough is going to seriously injure/kill the shooter eventually -- it can't just keep failing and jamming over and over again, that's unrealistic. They are extremely dangerous.

If guns don't work out, in the end, you can always be a little more abstract. I'm not sure how much people would agree to it, but fire arrows are something relatively feasible, if not only in Link's case. A flick of the right stuff can set a quick spark and an arrow could be lit and sent, but it would take some serious thinking to figure out exactly how. I'm good at imagination, but not mechanics, so I'll leave that up to you should you like the idea.

I'm jumping in in the middle of a conversation, so feel free to let me know if I'm off course. Smile
You know, I understand about the bullets and stuff. I already took care of that: he has an utility belt, with many pockets. He might use some to carry some bullets, he might find in that shooting club.

About the bear fighting, he will be hit and sent to a balconery, and bla bla bla, a bottles hurts him, bla bla bla... alll that stuff. I know, this may not be very realistic -at least not likely to happen- and so, but still.

His mental illness is not strong enough to let him that grade of serious damages, as he can't learn how to use a gun.
Two, the weapon is not that damged, just with some rusty pieces he gotta exchange for others. It's not that serious problem with it.

Sorry if it is too... shallow, but I'm just a bit too late for my English class XP
Gotta go, bye!
QUOTE (Attila Aston @ May 28 2009, 12:56 PM)
About the bear fighting, he will be hit and sent to a balconery, and bla bla bla, a bottles hurts him, bla bla bla... alll that stuff. I know, this may not be very realistic -at least not likely to happen- and so, but still.[/quote]
Thing is, "and so, but still" doesn't really cut it. If it's unlikely to happen, it's... unlikely to happen. If you're going to do it, just be sure that is what you want to do, and clarify everything as much as you can so if it needs some concrete improvement, we can get it to work. Big Grin

Quote:Two, the weapon is not that damged, just with some rusty pieces he gotta exchange for others. It's not that serious problem with it.

I don't know that much about guns. Would rusty pieces really cause a gun to fail? I'm not sure, but if you haven't looked up or researched that, you definitely should to make sure that is what happens (and not a gun failing and exploding or killing the user, etc.).
About the bear fighting: I know it's unlikely, but it's different from impossible. I know because it already happened to me (not with so much cracks or with my face DX). A glass plate broke in the sink, thanks to my bird's scream, I was got in short and, startled, the plate slipped from my soappy hands and broke, and a crack fell in my leg. Thanks God, it was only one piece and not that big, and gravity hadn't got time to make the crack hit to hard in my leg. It just made a cut.
I only thought: he was lyed in the ground, after hitting the balconer. The bottles break in the balconer (the plate in the sink) and the cracks fell in his face. Well, the face's skin is probably as thin as the leg's. Gravity do her stuff and made the cracks goes faster and harder in his face, making more than just a cut.

Anout the gun: I searched (finally I've got time!) and I found this:
"Usually exploding guns is a result of some idiot intentionally overcharging a home-made round for the hell of it.. Though some guns can just explode from using poor metals which have/develop cracks... They tend to get pulled out of production fast.
Converting a semi-auto into a fully-auto alone should not make a gun explode if done properly.. But since it's firing more rounds, it's needless to say that it will break down faster, and THAT could theoretically aid in an already crappy gun exploding.."
"You "hear a lot about" it because it's unusual, therefor it's news. ("300 million guns didn't blow up today" isn't news. It happens every day.)
I've spent a lot of time at shooting ranges over the last 20 years and I've never seen a gun blow up. I have seen blown up guns."
"a gun that is in very poor condition would explode, probably with a barrel obstruction after shooting a squib load
case has too much gap in chamber resulting in the case breaking or exploding
cartridge case is too thin or weak/inferior for the caliber, they could explode or rupture. "

Well, it seems that the possibilities of a gun exploding is minimum, and most probable if it's a converted gun -which is not the case, he's only changing pieces for equal ones- or if the gun is made with poor metals -which I think wouldn't be the case, again-.
I think that the gun he'd find is one with a few rusty pieces that need to be exchanged. He looks after pieces that looks the closest with the rusty ones. No biggy(I guess).

EDIT: I searched a bit more and -how knew?- I've found this:
"The Glock 17 is probably the most tested and "beaten on" pistol out there. It has legendary stamina under the most adverse conditions and with the worst ammunition. Police forces around the world have adopted it. It remains the gold standard for polymer framed pistols around the world."
So, it's even less probable for it to fail that badly, to the point of it killing him.