From The Ground Up
[html]

[ Jac]

Leroy had been doing the normal pack duties: hunting, patrolling, an scent marking here and there. The husky has been slowly spending for time with Svara, and he will tell her all of her past memories that he is able; though before that he will complete yet another house, when he shows Svara their house he will tell her. She can pick the house with this new information if she still wished to be with him, and if not 'Firefly's' cabin well always be welcome to her.

Red eyes looked at the area he marked on the ground by digging in a trail, a large square it would appear but it is the first start. Walking along the marks again he made sure everything was even, it would not be strong or last as long if it wasn't. Happy with the lines Leroy counted up all the trees in the area, around, and too close to the soon to be built home. The trees he counted would be cut down and the wood will go into the home itself, more can be collected from the forest as the progress. Scratching behind his ear for a moment the male walked over to the tools, pulling aside a saw and axe it was time to get to work.

table by Syd

[/html]
[html]

OoC:...

Jacquez stood idly by one of the trees, watching with mild amusement in his dark eyes as his packmate toiled in silence. No one else had plunged headfirst into their work like Leroy had; hunting to feed the cabin residents, dragging those heavy kills all the way back, collecting tools, and now starting to build a house already. The scent-markers on their borders were barely dry, and already the husky had drawn up a foundation on which to construct his new dwelling. He was a good ally to have, that was clear; his fierce work ethic and sheer strength made him valuable indeed. Jac was still unclear as to the man's personality, though. Most of the dogs he had met were carefree like him, or at least more willing to laugh and play and talk to each other. He knew he liked to hear his own voice, and it was a habit Ruri had picked up as well, talking or singing to herself to fill the silence. And yet here was another canine cut from the same cloth, but his thoughts were dark, his mannerisms stiff, and his habits painfully noise-free. How curious. What sort of upbringing had produced such a wolf-like dog?

After a few more moments of spying, the unpredictable king strode forth into the clearing, his arm tucked in the small of his back. "Why is it, Marquis Leroy, that you devote yourself to such labor? Do you enjoy the feel of sweat on your nose, are you just a sled dog at heart? Is it a sense of loyalty that drives you to contribute to whatever family or pack you are a part of? Or do you aim to impress...?" He smiled his crooked smile, stepping around the square furrow that marked the size of the construction site. It had to be one of those reasons, didn't it? Jac always liked to know what made others act the way they did. Everyone had various motivations, but it was when he was given a riddle, a person whom he could not read, that he began to pay attention. He did not aim to make others uncomfortable by interrogating them, but sometimes he was more interested in what they were thinking than how they were feeling.

[/html]
[html]

[...]

A toothy smirk pulled on his lips as the husky lifted up the axe, it was much better then the home made and old ones he has used in the pasted. Its weight wasn't to much, actually it was this kind of labor that help strengthen and build up his form. Leroy was sure this would make the process go much smoother, but he will have to return to the city later, doors were not he best talent so he might as well steal a few. The patterned male tightened his grip before giving a good practice swing, on yes this was going to help things move much easier and with his hair shorter he could see much better.

Black ear flickered only the slightest as he relaxed the axe so the top pressed on the ground, turning his head the man's red eyes caught the sight of his leader. He heard him enter the area, but his scent was much more clearly now.Dropping the tool Leroy turned to his ally with a small smile and a raised brow,before speaking. "oddly enough building such things is very annoying, but I have things i must do." Pausing he tilted his head slightly before taking a step forward. "impress, hardly. I didn't do this much at Crimson Dreams, this place is more like home. Plus being distracted isn't always bad." The rose eyed man's voice didn't dip to sadness at the words, but grinned slightly before looking at the trees again.

table by Syd

[/html]
[html]

"Building is annoying?" he repeated, an incredulous grin spreading across his lean muzzle. The husky had volunteered for all of this work, and had no reason to enjoy it! How perplexing! "I believe there are a handful of old buildings closer to the grotto, if you'd rather fix one up. Might be faster." He hadn't seen them himself, but now that they had claimed the territory, it was safer for them to spread out, see what was theirs, find a more permanent dwelling. Jac liked the network of caves, really. His voice echoed when he spoke to himself. It was fun. Ruri might not want to like in a cold dank cave, but maybe if he brought in some furniture and spoils from looting the city, her mind would change...

Leroy's words were true enough. Distractions were nice. Jacquez found distractions all the time - things to draw him away from working, sparklies that caught his eye, pretty girls that turned his head. Really, he was hardly ever focused; he just let his short attention span wander wherever it wanted, looking for something that wouldn't bore him. "So you work to keep yourself busy... How quaint! Are you worried about your woman?" His train of thought took another abrupt turn, blunt observation right behind. He pondered for a moment - Crimson Dreams? Svara was from the flower pack. Had they met on the beach, or before, when they were in separate organizations? That might explain their fanatical devotion, if they had a secret romance...

[/html]
[html]

[...]

Looking at Jac Leroy's small smile was there as the man talked about the homes, maybe it was easier that way but that is not what Leroy wanted. In a odd way even though the labor is annoying to do, he enjoys his own home and maybe since his last house as left behind he wanted to rebuild it. Jac's next words got a strange reaction as his eyes narrowed and his face hardened, he might be worried but he guilt made his angry. Staring at the hybrid Leroy didn't care if he was their new leader, he didn't want to talk about any of it. Brows loosened only the slightest as his tail sway with sudden annoyance about the topic, Leroy didn't care if he appeared disrespectful this man should know better then to say such things.

A loud snort emitted as he slowly lowered himself to a sit as he finally looked away as he gave a rough and blunt answer. "Of course.." Picking up a stick the husky crushed it in his hands before talking to the man, his fingers letting the wood fall to the ground as he wasn't sure why he was even tell him this. "I'm not a nice guy Jacquez, and that's something you have to understand" Glancing over his throat rattled with his voice as he told the man something. "I normally don't care about others needs, mean yes but it is true. I'm a selfish bastard at heart, but I have a guilt in me that threats to eat me alive where i stand." Leroy stopped as he looked back at the man in his company as he stood up. "Never mind it doesn't matter. "

table by Syd

[/html]
[html]

Leroy seemed to close up as the topic turned to Svara, his tail lashing like an angry cat's. Jacquez tilted his head, dark eyes studying raptly as the husky seemed to struggle with himself, finally deciding to speak rather than stew in silence. The collie-hybrid was intrigued by the dysfunctional dynamic between the two young lovers, unable to quite grasp why it worked. Perhaps that was because his own twisted mind did not know that sort of love, or perhaps it was just his own ego getting in the way of seeing things through another's eyes. Leroy's rough voice sounded over the crunching of the brittle twig between his large hands. Jac had not expected to hear of uncertainty... of guilt. Surely love overwrote such short-comings, did it not? If it made someone feel even less sure of themselves, what was the point in committing?

"Well, you happen to be speaking to the most selfish bastard around," the Frenchman drawled, a mischievous grin curling onto his lips. If Leroy was not a "nice guy", then Jac was a soulless villain by comparison. "It's not mean, it's natural. We are born alone, we die alone, and in between, we try to make ourselves happy. To put another's needs before your own... well, it certainly doesn't feel natural, does it?" He leaned his one arm against a tree's roughshod trunk, crossing his legs lazily. Ruri came to mind; their platonic relationship was one he cared about, but it was difficult to describe, exactly. She had gone out of her way to make his life easier, to help him better juggle his responsibilities, to not intrude on the things he cared about. If she had tried to really change his ways or "fix" him, he doubted that he would have permitted her constant companionship. "I have never toyed with the concept of monogamy. Does it normally bring about guilt? Mm, have you broken your vows, is that why...?" If he had any shame, he would probably try to mince his words so as not to hurt another's feelings... but that was another concept he was not terribly intimate with. Others tended to get used to his ways of speaking, after the first few snubbings.

[/html]
[html]

[...]

His red eyes watched Jac, sure the man was getting on his nerves by being so damn nosy, though this was a odd opening to vent the build of emotions.The male let the though boil as his listened to the man.lucky me.. If he was another selfish man the this was going to be a weird ass group of dogs,though he understood what Jac said Leroy merely listened wit his ears turning here and there."Just strange when you try really hard to put your efforts for others, no it is natural but strange for us. Wolves live in packs, it is natural. " Leroy was still annoyed by the underlined topic, he didn't want to speak but yet he does. Red eyes moved as the large husky man remain seated, looking at the tools that just seem to be another was. All the attempts at anything for her happiness was a waste, and in the end she showed him that she wanted Haku and him. No matter what she says Svara would always remain the first to walk away in his eyes. The thought made his hair rise on his neck before he spoke again.

"No, it does not bring it." Leroy remained silent when the spoke of vows, though in reality he wanted to shout that the man to mind his own. His deep was blunt and simple. [b]"Not on my own accord. I do not even recall the event but since Svara was so intense about it what else is there to say? I was drugged and she wouldn't care that I even attacked that woman, should have ripped her throat out." A growl emitted when he spoke of Sabeen, but he finished speaking. "I feel my guilt for the fact she went to him after because of that, she believed she loved him over me and my efforts to please her. I'm not sure if it hurts or if it's sleeping anger." Leroy stopped talking then as he rose to his feet and walked back to the axe, picking it up he has said as much as he will on that topic. Sizing up a tree it was time to get started.

table by Syd

[/html]
[html]

The husky man before him seemed gruff and upset, forcing himself to talk about the topics that still stung him. Jac did not once assume that Leroy was uncomfortable because of the questions he was asking -- it was just because he didn't like his answers, right? Wolves and dogs both lived in packs; perhaps it was natural, but packs were not always symbiotic. "Mon ami, I think the very nature of a pack is selfish. The strongest prey upon the weak; it is a hierarchy of parasites. That is why ours is different -- we make an effort to treat each other as equals, unnatural as it may feel." And sadly, he believed what he said. Everyone, when it all boiled down, would act in their own interest before they would help someone else. It was the simple truth.

Oh... so that lent a little insight. Leroy had been tricked into unfaithfulness, and then Svara had tried to turn it around by seeking out her old flame... Firefly's ex-mate? That was why the Dahlian leader had chosen to mark Svara with a choice adjective after ripping her to shreds. The man had a sense of humor. This family got more twisted the more he learned about them, but the self-proclaimed king did not turn away. If anything, the soap opera drama only made him more interested in being a part of it.
"Well, if it's any consolation, I don't think she'll love the blue-eyed prick after this. Some women don't know what they've got, until they try to lose it..." He shrugged a shoulder, re-crossing his footpaws. Leroy claimed that monogamy didn't bring about guilt, but it certainly sounded like it did. If they hadn't sworn themselves to each other, then it wouldn't have broken their hearts to have tried a little "strange" on the side... but then again, Jac had never been able to wrap his mind around mateship. He was not a family man, and that was the only possible reason a male would remain with the same female for life, wasn't it?
"And with the way she acts around you now, even without remembering names or relationships, she still clings to you like you're the only person she sees. I think her subconscious is more certain about you than she seems to realize." He raised a claw to idly pick at his teeth. It felt like there was some venison stuck between his fangs.

[/html]
[html]

[...]

For the first moment since they had started talking Leroy looked at Jac and no anger showed or any of the things that bother him, ears flickered at the mans words as he listened to the other speak. His claws clicked in the wooden handle of the axe as the husky let a deep breath from his chest, he refused to let this bother him anymore. I was a fault that he would take, though it is done with and now he can not let it impact what is to come. If anything that red woman has softened him so much and he knows she don't like, thinking Leroy will go with the change of the pack.

A small smile pulled on his lips a he moved his head from side to side before his body moved to Jac's side, dragging the axe along as he spoke with his deep voice sounded. "I bet she doesn't. This issue has only bothered me because it seems to recycle itself in my brain. What is done is done and there is nothing to do about it now." Haku will always be some one that if given the chance the hybrid would kill him. Tail swayed calmly behind his patterned body as his free hand patted Jacquez on his back, this is the first time Leroy has considered him an ally an on the road to a friend. "maybe so though woman can love you one day and hate you the next.." A small chuckle emitted back his sharp teeth as his patted Jac's again before stepping forward. "Come on I know your one armed ass can do some work."Pausing he raised a brow before looking back. "Or would you prefer to fish?

table by Syd

[/html]
[html]

The king raised an eyebrow, watching as the tension seemed to flow away from the husky-hybrid, the defensive posturing finally slumping in defeat. This topic must have been eating away at him for a long time, but with no one to discuss it with - he couldn't very well ask Firefly about his mate loving hers, could he? - it must have been bottled up for quite a while. Bottled up. If only he had thought to bring a bottle of rum with him, then they could sit around and drink all afternoon...

"A woman can love you one day and hate you the next."
Jacquez tilted back his head and roared a laugh, highly amused by the truth in the simple observation. "More like, 'a woman can love you one day, until she sobers up!'" He clapped Leroy on the back, returning the friendly male gesture and acknowledging the funniest thing he had heard that day. He doubted Firefly or Ruri would let him get away with that, without a punch to the arm at least, but - that was why a man needed the company of other men! "You are a good fellow, Marquis Leroy. I wouldn't worry about your rapscallion of a lover - she will keep returning to you, even if you try to get rid of her." His whiskery smile was supposed to be reassuring, but on his wicked face, it just appeared amused. It dropped quickly at Leroy's next words, however.

Jacquez stared sourly at the axe, his clever mind trying to come up with an excuse to avoid working. Sure, his muscular frame could easily wield the tool, or he could be put to work dragging stripped logs, but... without an audience, what was the point of such brutish labor? Then again, it sounded like Leroy had issued a challenge. Capricious fangs flashed in a grin, immediately on board with the prospect of a competition. "Screw your fish, we are building a house!" he crowed, flexing his claws as he stepped away from the tree. "Where do you want me?"

[/html]
[html]

[...]

Jac's face made a big laugh come from him, it was so long since Leroy had laughed that he couldn't help it. His leaders face begged for an escape from the that Leroy had spoke of, though the change in his mind made the husky shack his head before lifting the axe to his shoulder and looking at the work to be done. Thinking Leroy wasn't sure what he wanted to do that day, but first thing that did needed to be done was the wood that would be required to build it. So it was set, cut down a good number of trees then start on the floors and walls.

"well I have only one axe so maybe stacking the wood, don't worry it does have to be neat, we are just getting it down then the work for today is over." Leroy slowly rolled his eyes at Jac's behavior to avoid work,it kinda reminded him of a child in a way but Leroy turned to the tree. Pulling the axe back the first swing brought a loud crack from the wood, swinging again the crack emitted again.

table by Syd

[/html]
[html]

"Oui - stacking it is!" Jac confirmed with a bob of his head, fringed ears falling forward. He sauntered backwards several paces, watching Leroy immediately take to work. The axe flashed as it soared above the husky's broad shoulders, thudding noisily as it bit into the tree's trunk. The king tilted his head as he watched intently, having never seen someone use this sort of tool before. Leroy's muscles knotted as he wrenched it free, whirling it forward to crack into the wood again. It seemed a very repetitive job. No wonder the Mason was not fond of building things, despite his knowledge of such tasks.

Jacquez let his mind wander as he stood in the clearing, toes wiggling into the dirt as he fidgeted. He could never stay still for long. Was Ruri with Firefly now, at the cabin? Where had Haven been wandering off to lately? Had any loners sought acceptance yet? Once he finished exploring his shiny new kingdom, he should probably trek around the other unclaimed territories, to see if there were other strays looking for a home. Wolves wandered in all the time, didn't they? Attracted by the large crowds here, seeking solace where they would not find it. There were other hybrids, to be sure - lonely dogs away from their own kind, those with coyote and wolf blood that did not fit in anywhere. It should be easy. But he was impatient; it was taking too long. "Just this one, and the work will be over? How long will that take?" he called over the pounding of the axe, hoping for an answer of "any minute now" or "I'm just finishing up!".

[/html]
[html]

[hmm what should they do now?]

His arms and back flexed with each hit of the sharp axe as it cut into the tree, it's bark and outer layers giving way to the power and force of the axe. It was like a prey and predator, the tree crying under it's attack to be used for its food. Though in this cause it wasn't food, it was wood and that would was going to be a house,a floor, a wall, and a bed. The handle was held tight in his clawed grip as his arms swiftly moved agian letting the axe's blade cut into the tree, the hard thud broke away as his arms as shoulders pulled the tool back out once again. Showing the lighter center that was hidden under the dark bark.

Jac's voice made his ears flicker, a small grin appearing on his maw though he didn't answer. That man was very impatient or work was like a virus in his eyes. Hybrid's chest rattled with a chuckle as it quickly finished up the tree, his strength an the new tool has speed up the process much more then it would have normally taken. A snarl like grin came on his maw as the husky looked at the cut before parting his legs for a better swing, arms pulled back like two coils before quickly releasing themselves. The axe brought a loud cracking sound as it went further into the wood then before. Leroy pulled the axe free before tossing it aside, no wasting a second the husky slammed his shoulder into the tree as he pushed forward with a snarl. This was always easier in his eyes when it came down to the end of it. A loud snap emitted as the tree fell in the direction of his push as it hit the ground with a thud, standing still Leroy looked over as Jac with a smile as his curly tail swayed behind him. "You know your habit to avoid work is going to become very infectious."

table by Syd

[/html]
[html]

OoC: We could wrap it up, if you like, or they could get some work done on the house together...

Leroy seemed to grow stronger with every strike, the excitement coiling in his muscles as he showered the ground with wood chips. It was interesting from a spectator's point of view, although the repetitive thumping noises boomed throughout the trees, making his fringed ears fall backwards warily. It was a loud, messy job. His wandering attention snapped back to the spectacle before him as a loud popping noise signaled the tree's death cry, creaking and keening as it teetered on its last legs. Just like the mercy blow to a wounded prey animal, the husky mustered his strength for a mighty blow, slamming his large body against the pale wound he had gouged into the trunk. With one low groan, the timber crashed from its roots to slam against the ground, leaves fluttering like confetti to litter the topsoil.

There was a moment of silence broken only by the calls of birds fleeing their homes, taking flight unanimously from the scene of the crime. Jac bent over to grasp the slick axe handle in his paw, tugging it free from the dirt it had landed in. As the husky-hybrid wagged his tail and stared proudly at the work he had completed, the collie brought the tool back to him, matching his smile. "I hope it is not too infectious, monsieur, for you have much to do. Now you chop it up and make it a house, yes? How long will this take?" He offered him the axe hilt, grinning impishly. So long as someone else did the hard work, it was a good day.

[/html]