A flight of fancy on a windswept field
[html]

style="background-image: url(http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa22 ... able-1.png); width: 500px; height: 412px; z-index: 1; line-height: 10px; border:1px #444a78 solid;">
style="padding: 0px; position: relative; right: 90px; top: 95px; width: 260px; height: 280px; z-index: 2; overflow: auto;">

Halifax Airport, which I'm assuming is just outside CDM's realm. If not... well, I'm wrong, lol =) The aircraft mentioned is a Cessna 172, just so you know.

Let me show you the wonders of life

The light was just beginning to recede from the day, the sun a large orange ball casting reds and yellows to the clouds nearest it and purples and rich navy blues to those above her head. Hanna was standing in the gap between two hangars at the airport, taking in the sunset sky. She'd been in Area 93, the airport back in the old lands, twice in the time she was there. Once she was working her way in with one Cross Valiant, and the other time she found herself escaping the rain with a huge striped cat. She'd not really studied any of the winged creatures that resided in the buildings of Area 93, so when she found Halifax Robert L. Stanford Airport(what a mouthful!), she made it her mission to check it out.

Hanna unwillingly turned from the sun's dying rays and glanced at the buildings across from her position. She chose one where the white paint on the door seemed stained orange with the intensity of the light and walked into the building. It was, of course, pitch inside, but she found that the switch, which was hooked to a solar panel on the roof, still raised the door. A bright white.. thing.. sat in front of her, a little taller than she stood. A large, two-bladed nose was attached to the body, and wings nearly three times as long as she was extended from the roof. She made her way around the side of the plane, and opened the door, studying the blue streaks down the side.

She stepped up and in and her jaw dropped. So many little windows and knobs and levers. Surely not all necessary to make this thing work, right? Too bad I don't understand this jargon, she mused, studying the labels around each piece of equipment. Perhaps she'd make a trip back to Dalhousie and pick up a book on airplanes.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... leboat.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

ooc -

sorry for the wait! D: Even with two PMs (one to each of my accounts), I still forgot. XD;

ic -

Vigilante had watched the female enter the building, although he couldn't see what she was doing inside, as his vantage point did not allow him such a view. He had never entered any strange buildings such as these, but he supposed it couldn't be a bad idea, as the female had entered one. . . Unless, of course, the strange building was her home, and then he would just be intruding. His curiousity did get the better of him, though, and he left his perch and entered the building slowly through the same door she had, quietly and just as stealthily and he was used to acting. Despite how long it had been since he had denounced his profession, he still had not learned to make noise when moving.

"What is that. . . thing?" he asked before he could stop himself, staring incredulously at the beastly thing that stood before them. He was a few steps behind the female, and as an after thought, he hoped he wouldn't startled her by speaking out of seemingly nowhere. The pack he had been born into had been very. . . Shall we say, rustic? They had not lived in the old human things, but rather, as the olden-day wolves and feral dogs had, according to many books on the subject. The strange human things were something he would, indeed, need to become used to. But what was thatg monster object gleaming in front of them? What did humans do with something as obtrusive and awkward as that?

[/html]
[html]

style="background-image: url(http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa22 ... able-1.png); width: 500px; height: 412px; z-index: 1; line-height: 10px; border:1px #444a78 solid;">
style="padding: 0px; position: relative; right: 90px; top: 95px; width: 260px; height: 280px; z-index: 2; overflow: auto;">

I need to start remembering to mention her attire. Hanna wears a leather belt with a hunting knife on each side, almost constantly. I just.. fail at mentioning that.

The male's voice did startle Hanna, so absorbed in the studying of the plane was she. Acting on impulse, she launched herself from the cockpit, one hand automatically dropping to her belt (which Katie should totally have mentioned in the first post that she wears constantly, with a knife on either side, but didn't) and the corresponding knife. The other hand was outstretched for balance. The woman crouched, the knife just easy in its sheath, her palm resting against the hilt. Her eyes swept over the other's form for the first time, almost reluctantly - she almost expected it to be Haku, though she didn't know why.

To her chagrin, it was not. Instead, a fuzzy-looking stranger stood in the entrance to the hangar, one with mottled fur. Here brown, there almost black, his coloration was unlike any she'd seen to date, but he was a handsome wolf all the same. She stood slowly, then dropped her gaze to the floor to one side of his feet. Her fingers pushed the knife into its holder, then withdrew from its grip and moved aside. Without looking at him, Hanna spoke softly. "I apologize. I've never been here before and I'm a little... jumpy."

Slowly, she turned to the plane; one hand extended to brush the cool metal of the side. She recalled that he'd asked her something. Hanna's eyes turned back to her companion, though they didn't meet his face. "Honestly.. I don't know what it is. It's complicated, though. So many buttons and knobs in there." And she gestured to the cabin of the plane.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... leboat.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

ooc -

No worries. ^^ 376 words.

ic -

Vigilante grinned sheepishly at her response to his voice, not quite surprised by her drastic reaction. The doggish man had, after all, snuck up on her, and he supposed she had every right to try to defend herself against any potential dangers. Her eyes were striking in appearance, though surprising. They were different colors, and vastly different from the dark fur that rimmed them. As were most of the females he saw, she was very pretty, and he would remember her features later, but her eyes were likely the most spectacular thing about her. The malamute mutt knew he would remember those eyes anywhere. Was it a common thing for wolves to have two differently colored eyes, so bright and vibrant in contrast to the rest of them? His own eyes were a muddied green-brown, and his sister’s had been similar, but then, they were dog mixes, and not at all wolves. His nieces and nephew, being half wolf instead of all dog, all had brighter eyes. It must be a wolf trait, then, he decided with certainty. He had never seen a dog’s eyes so bright.

“I do apologize, Miss. I certainly should not have snuck up on you so, and you have every right to be. . . Jumpy.” His tone was formal, but friendly, and he said the last word slowly, as if he was testing the word out on his lips. He smiled, tongue lolling gently from the left side of his narrow muzzle, teeth glistening as he surveyed the strange metal beast once more. Buttons and knobs, indeed, it seemed. Humans were such strange creatures! What would they have done with this. . . Machine? Yes, he believed that to the proper term for what this was. A machine of sorts, used to do something that humans could not - or would not, maybe - do by themselves. Of the few things he knew of humans, he knew that they were very lazy, using things called machines to do what they wanted to do, instead of actually doing them. “Have you tried pressing or turning any of the buttons or knobs, perhaps?” Vigilante stepped closer, lifting a hand to touch the cool metal as his ebony companion had, smiling at her once more.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the wait. This is... fairly ramble-y, for all its shortness. And it's finished now. My apologies for not getting back to it sooner.

To her relief, he did not attack her. He instead smiled very charmingly and acutally apologized to her. She had expected he'd at least react, would get defensive, but he seemed to have expected her actions. It put her at ease, in a way, although she thought perhaps she should be concerned that he didn't move away or something.

He smiled again, lolling his tongue, and she couldn't keep from grinning back, studying him as he'd studied her. He was well-made, seemed strong, sure of himself, and she couldn't keep her eyes from trailing up from his feet to his face as she did. She looked steadily into his eyes, noting the green color. It was striking for all it was different from hers.

He asked if she'd tried pushing any of the buttons inside and Hanna shook her head as he stepped closer. She stepped a little closer still to him, leaning casually against the side of the plane. "No; I'd only just climbed up into the seats when you came in. Would you like to climb up with me this time? We can find out what the buttons do together."

There was a strange quality to Hanna's voice, a smoothness that she didn't normally find, though the woman didn't understand why. She worked to keep a thoughtful frown from creasing her brow, then hoisted herself upwards into the cockpit again, sliding over to the left-hand seat to give her companion room if he chose to come in. The space between the seats was almost non-existent, and this didn't perturb her at all.

Then she pinpointed the cause of her voice change. Was Hanna... flirting?

[/html]
[html]

ooc -

I got your pm, even though I barely log into that account (yay for Catacombs things? XD), and, yeah, if I get caught up, I can try and do some faster posting and stuff before I've gotta work. ^^

ic -

After the inital defensive stance, the dark female seemed to be pretty friendly, Vigilante came to realize as he studied her leaning form against the side of the strange human machine. She evidently kept herself in shape, and she was very easy on the eyes (but then, to someone so intent on finding someone to love him, weren't most females?). What was not sitting easily with him was that he did not yet know her name. He had gone long periods of time without knowing someone's name before (for example, the coyote that was also a vigilante, where he had forgotten to ask until just before he left him), but he did not like that to happen with pretty females, not a single bit.

No, he decided, still watching her intently as she spoke. Pretty females deserved to flaunt their names so that the world might know them personally. "I suppose I could do that," he said, stressing the words in an exagerated manner to show just how much of a terrible "inconvenience" this was, although the smile on his face betrayed the joking words. "On one condition. Would the lovely lady share her name with me?" There was much to be said for the eloquence of words, and it was so much easier to ask in a personalized manner, rather than asking everyone, "Who are you?" That was so much more. . . Intimidating, and less friendly.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry it took me this long to get this up; Dad's been hard on me about getting on Souls. And then I couldn't write anything productive when I was on here.
Word Count: 208. Worth 0 points.

Hanna's grin grew wider as he paid his compliment, and she lowered a hand to help him into the aircraft. As she did so she couldn't help but wonder if the man really thought her attractive or if he was just being polite. As her coat was a uniform black she'd never thought herself more than plain, though her sparkling eyes were more beautiful in her opinion than those of wolves who had a matched pair. Everyone's preferences differed, though, so maybe... Maybe he really did think her pretty.

Hanna. My name is Hanna. Would the handsome man be willing to tell me his name, as well? She was trying not to lay it on too thickly, but she wanted to know what he thought of her. However, the ebony femme was much too shy to come out and ask such a question of anybody, let alone a perfect stranger. She was nowhere near as poetic as he, but she was trying.

Doing her best to look from under her eyelashes, she found that he had a seemingly work-hardened body for all it was covered in fuzzy fur, and some strange part of her imagined that he would be quite lovely to hug. What was with her brain?

[/html]
[html]

ooc -

No worries. :3 324 words.

ic -

Taking her hand, Vigilante hoisted himself up into the strange mechanical thing, still slightly wary of what he was entering. There was no guarnatee that the human thing was actually safe, and though Hanna seemed to trust it enough, the mutt was not quite as positive. The inside of the machine was just as strange as the outside was, and that was not particularly reassuring. Regardless, he put on his normal, cool smile, not wanted to show her that he was the least bit worried about this thing they were standing in. Being certain that his worry would not be easily noted, Vigilante leaned against the inside of the machine, studying her once more. Her eyes were the most intriguing part of her, and though he was used to bi-colored eyes (he did, after all, come from a pack made up of mostly dogs, and bi-colored eyes were frequently found in mixed dogs), he had not seen them much in these parts. They were a welcome change from the normal golden wolf eyes, so very vibrant and bright.

Hanna. It was a much simpler name than some of the ones he had heard since coming here, but that was a good thing. Names did not always have to be complex to be considered good names. "Hanna," he repeated, rolling the name off his tongue. "It is a very lovely name, and so very fitting in its beauty." He knew that he was laying it on a little thickly, but there was nothing wrong with that, was there? He was a very flirtacious creature, but he did not find that be a bad quality to him. It was better than some things about him that he was not willing to share openly, anyway. "My name is Vigilante," he added, his tone very off-hand. He hoped she would not question the name at all; it tended to worry people when they realized what his name meant.

[/html]
[html]

So I have no clue where this came from. I just kinda.. started writing and couldn't stop.
Word Count: 369. Worth 2 points.

Hanna had braced herself on the first object her hand encountered as she helped pull Vigi into the plane. This object, though the woman didn't know it, was the control stick, used for turning the plane. Also unbeknownst to her, the outer part of the flaps on the wings of the machine would move as the stick did. While it hadn't so much as shifted a fraction of an inch as she yanked on it the first time, Hanna continued to fiddle with the bar as he layered on the compliments about her name.

So inexperienced was Hanna at receiving these flirtatious comments that she found herself blushing yet again, to the point where she thought she'd surely explode with pleasure and happiness. Indeed, if one had looked very closely, very carefully, they might well have seen her head expand just a little.

As she'd requested, her newfound friend and (dare I say it?) crush, shared his name with her as she'd given him hers. She mulled it around in her head, studying him intently with contemplative eyes, her head turned partially away from him, her cheek the closest part to him. She turned her eyes more toward him.

Vigilante. One who hunts down and brings to justice those who do wrong. While the man's build certainly indicated he would be physically capable to carry out such a job, Hanna didn't think, from what she'd seen so far of him, that Vigi would be posessed of a heart as calculated as that profession called for. Not the golden-tongued, fluffy flirter she'd met. So she thought nothing of her next words and their potential face value.

"It's a strong name. Pleased to meet you, Vigilante." She winked then, poking her tongue out a moment. "Guess I better be on my best behavior, huh?"

A split-second after she finished the silky-voiced query, an eardrum-rending screech filled the hangar, bouncing off the walls and ceiling and causing Hanna to wince as it hit and reverberated in and from the aircraft. The control stick had moved, after all, and while the ailerons didn't have a huge arc of motion, the amount of time they'd been unused was enough to cause the noise. Heh...

[/html]
[html]

300+ words.

She had spoken only moments before the shrieking noise had happened. Though he was a little surprised at her boldness, he was not surprised that she might put the word to its actual meaning. Most, however, did not question the name in his presence, or vocally, if they did at all. Many just seemed to assume that it was a name, and not actually a description, as well. Shrugging, he poked with one clawed finger at a red button. "What's done is done," he said quietly, almost nervously. It was an admission of the past for him, though not something he said outright in response to her offhand joke. "Don't behave too much, though, because a little excitement is good for everyone," he added, louder this time in hopes of being heard over the noise, his tone matching hers in its joking manner. He was not actually so serious about much, and he did not want her behavior to change because of his descriptive name.

The screech did not last perpetually, but it was very annoying until the end of the wretched sound. Eyes wide with confusion and alarm, Vigilante stared at the buttons he had been pressing and the knob Hanna had been toying with. The noise had only added to his suspician when it came to the human machine, and he was feeling a little nervous about where he was sitting. "What was that noise," he growled incredulously, turning to look at the darker wolf beside him. Though she had told him that she did not know anything of the machine, either, he was still hoping she would have an answer for his question. The hand he had not been using the touch the various buttons, the one farthest from Hanna, was gripping his seat tightly, and he was very obviously worried about their fate if they stayed where they were. Because of his lack of knowledge of human things, he was generally wary and untrusting of human things.

[/html]
[html]

Okay, time for a quick reply. Then I'll be.. *gasp* caught up! Lol, they should totally decide to try to fix the plane up, after finding books in Halifax.
Word Count: 373. Worth 2 points.

Though Hanna knew the meaning behind the word that was Vigilante's name, she was unaware that he'd been named that because it was to be his profession. When she'd joked, it had been completely innocent, and her comment about his name being a strong one meant only that. She began to understand perhaps a glimmer of the truth when he replied, his tones hushed, but even then she chalked it up to some misunderstanding. Once the noise had stopped, Hanna looked over at the brown furred man.

"I never meant to imply.. I mean... You're right, of course, fun and excitement are good. I..." She trailed off, feeling she'd blundered somehow, but not sure just how she'd done so nor how to fix it. But his inquiry -- and the origin of the screech -- took priority now. She could see he was nervous; she was too, to a point. "I'm not sure exactly what it was. It came from somewhere outside the machine when I moved this bar. So it must be that this lever --" she moved it a little, eliciting slightly less sound, "-- controls something outside this area we're in."

She slid from the cockpit and began to look the plane over for anything different from when she'd entered. Sure enough, there was a flap somewhere between three and four feet in length that, instead of being flush with the rest of the left wing, was hinged from the rest and pointing downwards. At the same place on the opposite side, the flap was hinged and pointing upwards.

While Hanna was a little nervous at first about the sound, her anxiety was replaced fairly rapidly by curiosity. She had a healthy amount of respect for the odd things the humans hand left behind, but she also wanted to know how the things worked, so that perhaps they would serve her, as they'd served the humans so many years ago. "I think I found what made the sound, Vigilante. Could you move that stick again, pull it towards you?" If the same thing happened, at least to some degree, they would know that the control stick had moved the ailerons, whether they knew the names of the components or not.

[/html]
[html]

Maybe we can have a later thread sometime and they can try that? =3 300+ words.

####His words had been heard, he knew now, though she had not seemed to pick up on his joking tone with the second part of what he had said. Of course, Vigilante was not good at things like that, and he could understand why she might not realize that he had been attempting to lighten the mood after the minor discussion on the subject of his overly-descriptive name. For a moment, the dog hybrid wondered whether he should try and explain further, or if he should leave the situation as it had become. Unfortunately, he was a socially awkward creature, and he was a fairly flirtacious being at the same time. Though he had begun by flirting with her, he had now made her uncomfortable, and for that, he was very sorry. If there was something he could say to mend the awkwardness that had fallen between them, then he would have said it quickly.

####He was saved by her exploration of the outside of the machine, and he could feel his own relief flooding his tired face. The stick she had been touching before moving fell under his gaze and he waited in silence until she spoke again, this time from outside the strange machine. Hanna's instructions were understood, though he was still fairly nervous about the situation. "Tell me when to stop moving it, if something happens, and do be careful down there," he added, wrapping his hand around the foreign stick. As per the woman's instructions, he pulled it towards him, hesitantly at first until he was certain the machine would not fall out from underneath him. If all went well, nothing bad would happen, and they would both survive the potential problems that could come from toying with the knobs and buttons in the pit. Hanna was obviously more inquisitive than he was, but it was not something he could help. Human things were just so. . . Bizarre!

[/html]
[html]

OOC STUFF
Word Count: 223. Worth 0 points.

As the stick was moved, Hanna was a little amazed to see the flaps trade places. Now the one that was pointing generally upwards pointed downwards, and vice versa. The noise happened again, though to a far lesser extent, and she figured that might have some cause from the disuse of the machine. Things made of metal, she'd found, tended to make odd noises till they were used several times, like door hinges.

Smiling widely, Hanna moved back to the fore of the airplane and hoisted herself in. "I'm not sure what they do, exactly, but the arm things have little.. flaps.. that go up and down when the stick is moved side to side." She began to have an idea, one that might work or might not. What if they - that is, Vigi and Hanna - began cleaning the monster beast-machine, and fixing it up?

Unperturbed by the previous awkwardness (forget about it and try again, in other words), Hanna fairly bounced in the seat turning to face him. "Vigi, what if we fixed this thing? Got it to do what it's supposed to? I bet there are books in the city that could help us out." She tried to make it seem like a good idea, not a potentially dangerous one. She didn't want him to back out, after all.

[/html]
[html]

Over and out! 300+ words.

####Her description did not give him much information, but he supposed that was because he had not been able to stand and watch the flaps himself. To do that might have given him a better understanding of the workings of this strange machine, and he likely would have felt more comfortable being near it if he could find a way to understand it. As it was, time had passed enough that he felt it would be an acceptable time to take his leave, rather than occupy her time more than he had already. Surely she could find something more interesting to do than sit and talk with him, and he doubted she would miss his presence too terribly. Hanna was, however, someone he would not mind spending a bit more time with, so the afternoon had been productive, as well. Some time soon, he would seek her out again, surely.

####"I do not read," he offered her, considering her suggestion with a thoughtful expression. It didn't seem like a bad idea, really, though his lack of ability could hinder the situation quite a bit. "However, if you are able to read and can find these. . . Books, then I think it might be a marvelous idea. I'm a member of a near-by pack, Cour des Miracles, so whenever you wish to do this, then you may certainly find me there." That seemed to be a good exitting line, so he stood, smiling at her warmly, despite the moment that had passed between them earlier about his name. "I hope to hear from you, Hanna. It's been a pleasure." With a small, nonchalant wave, Vigilante lowered himself out of the pit of the plane, heading in the direction of his pack and current home. It had been nice to get out, but he supposed he should be trying to make connections within his own pack and his pack mates.

[/html]