If I could change, and keep the rain away
[html]

Jael, Shattered Coast.

The ground was sodden with rainwater, but the clouds had held their bounty at bay. The sky was shadowed with cloud cover, yet the glow of the sun illuminated the air and gave a small promise to the passing of the never-ending storm. The wolfess had faith in that promise, and adventured out into the mist and fog and headed eastward. The earth toned female almost always had a plan in mind, and this day was no different. At times they were vague, but she had set out with a certain purpose.

The artist painted with the three primaries, and her tube of cadmium yellow was low. Mati found it her most prized hue, for it was the only true color that captured the essence of the sun. The round orb had been missing from the sky during the pass gloom filled days, but never from her landscapes. She opted to leave Ambrose at home, the small pet happy to stay out of the chilly drizzle. He had never been to Halifax, but it would be a quick trip and she wouldn’t be able to show the hedgehog many sights. It was a trip that she didn’t even really want to male, but she couldn’t go without the paint and it was best to get the errand over with.

She padded along the semi visible trail, making sure to stay at a distance from the new clam territory that clung to the shore between Crimson Dreams and the city. Though her brother was a Knight there, she still didn’t want to rustle any feathers by trespassing. Four large paws carried her heavy framed body, making her progress quick and effortless with purple eyes scanning the thin forest around her. She hated how cautious she had become, having finally out growing the timid nature of her puphood just before gaining the scars the lined her forearms. He was dead, news from her mother’s very mouth still did not ease all of the fear she held.

[/html]
[html]
        Crouching within the darkness of a cave Jael watched the rain as it fell outside. Everything was so wet. When he was small he believed he remembered much more sunshine in his world, but he couldn't even be sure any longer. Rain was all he knew anymore, and it depressed the boy already haunted with dark thoughts. Finally, he rose, the rain having slowed to a faint mist. His pale coat was always drenched, hanging limp around his body and providing no warmth when the warm summer air was replaced with the cool chill of night from the cloudy days. The earth held no warmth despite the season, and the pale beast shivered faintly. Water finally stopped falling from the sky as he walked, steps squishing into the soft soil of the earth since turned to mud.
        His paws squelched through the muck, sticking between his toes and splattering his body with dark filth. But he was again used to it, despite despising it. A scent was alerted to his senses on the damp air before he spotted the strange she-wolf plodding along the beach. He paused where he was, watching her passage with only faintest interest, not being the type to approach every stranger with a smile and a handshake. Fiery eyes lingered on the girl, ensuring she meant no harm before he'd continue on his way.
[/html]
[html]

A wind passed through her coat, sending the rain sideways and into her face. she squinted against the assault, and stopped to shake her coat free of those rain drops. She felt the chill on her skin, but continued on in hopes of growing warm by her movement. It was only when the wind rose again that it brought the scent of another to her nose. The large wolfess paused, and violet eyes looked to find the one who owned the scent. She felt fear, but it was pushed down low in her gut. It smelt of Inferni, and brought her an uneasy feeling. The girl had never met one from the clan, other then the little albino yote, whom she liked. But the whispers spoke of them were what she thought of now. She refused to believe rumors, and turned to face the one that watched her.

They were made of fire. Eyes that moved as she did, her soft purple were no match for the inferno that held her gaze. They claimed all the warm colors, the red, yellow and their mix, orange. The earthen hued fey wondered what brought him here, maybe it was the same reason she was. Using the land as a pass through and nothing more. He made no attempt to approach, waiting till she passed perhaps. But Mati stood still, looking at the tones of his coat and the mud that tainted the purity of it. It was full of the same colors that his eyes possessed, the warmth, and the fire. It was just hard to see it, but Mati always looked for them.

She wasn’t one to let a stranger go without finding something more within them.
Hello. , fire eyes She wished to say, but such things were better unsaid. If he wanted nothing to do with her, he would walk away. how Mati would take the rejection was up in the air, unsure if she would demand his audience or accept his decision.

[/doHTMl]
[html]
        The woman paused as well, each watching each other to see what they would do next. Cautious, Jael chose to avoid confrontation whenever possible. Physically, he was still small and undeveloped, destined to lose more fights than win at this point in his life against a normal-sized creature. Curiosity overtook the girl and she spoke out—a simple greeting and nothing more. Strange that a wolf would greet him without aggression once they noticed the scent of Inferni on his coat, but perhaps stereotypes were wrong, limited to only a few particular individuals. "Hi," he replied, uncertainty rising.
        He was an adult now by many standards even if still young and manners allowed to puppies were no longer proper given his age. He wasn't quite sure he knew how to approach the situation, especially given his certainty that wolves would hate him the moment they realized where he was from if they knew of the coyote clan. "I hope I'm not bothering you," he said softly, averting his eyes. She'd stopped walking because she'd seen him. What about him had interested her so? She didn't seem fearful—merely intrigued in the way she'd taken in his mud-splattered apperance and he didn't understand why.
[/html]
[html]

While Mati found comfort in his bright pelt, there was something very different in his demeanor. Was he uneasy? The girl could not believe that she could intimidate a soul, even though she was aware of her size. She could shadow his small frame, but inside the bulk of her mother’s lineage there was nothing but a small scared little girl afraid of shadows. But he spoke, and Mati perked as the syllable floated to her ears. She stepped forward, a small smile catching hold of her lips. Hiding it, Mati tried to keep her face smooth and emotionless.

No, of course not. She replied in surprise. What would he be doing that would bother her? Was it not normal to stop and make the acquaintance of a stranger? Though changed by her attack, it was impossible to smother the warm personality she had been born with. And his eyes oddly reminded her of that warmth. I was just thinking about going to the city. the Church girl admitted, letting her smile show. From the look on his face she couldn’t tell if he wanted to talk to her at all. But she wasn’t one to give up easily, and gave her name in the hope of receiving his. I’m Mati, from Crimson Dreams.

[/doHTMl]
[html]
        "That's good," he replied, talking more than normal due to the she-wolf's outgoing personality and saying whatever random thing popped first into his head. "It's an interesting place," he continued, feeling more and more like a moron the more he continued to ramble. Jael was a reserved creature by nature, speaking only when he felt the need and saying only what had been carefully processed within his brain. Anything else felt foolish and unnecessary. "Jael, from Inferni," the youth responded with his own title, unashamed of his obviously bizarre seeming residence. Inferni was where for now his loyalty lie—with the coyotes whom had accepted him for his minimum heritage and disregarded the fact his father was a traitor to his own blood and clan. How many would overlook the deeds of his father to see what Jael himself had to present to the world? And how many would accept him for being a part of both worlds, one paw in each, yet never fully a part of either.
        He lived the divided life of a hybrid, yet it was practically by choice, for if he so choose he could abandon all else and join a wolf pack. He looked the part, and by blood he nearly was the part completely and utterly. But Inferni was the only blood he knew of and actually wanted to be a part of. He'd meet wolfen brethren already, but was hardly impressed by what he found—the arrogance and ignorance he'd rather not associate with. But by wearing the badge of Inferni it could only be expected, for as Gabriel had told him, his wolf blood and his coyote blood hated each other on a personal level, not just instinctual, thus only hatred could ensue.
[/html]
[html]

Nice to meet you Jael. Mati repeated his name, testing it on her tongue. She had already known he was of the yote pack, and she found that at the moment it didn’t bother her much. Of course she remembered Siobhan, and then the little coy named Zana. She didn’t appreciate the little one as much, having felt her hate for wolves far too apparent. Mati was a wolf, and if anyone hated her for that single reason she didn’t want anything to do them. The girl had decided on such a theory that day and stuck with it. But he didn’t seem to dislike her, though his words were slightly erratic, or at the least mildly uncontrolled. Still she smiled, not caring exactly how they conversed, just that they did.

She took another step forward, moving slowly and hoping to not pose a thread. The closer she got, the better she could see his eyes, and the colors that they held. Mati would keep that a secret, the interest she had in them. Its full of useful things, I get paint supplies there. She offered, wondering if he used any of the human left artifacts. You know Zana, and Siobhan…? she questioned, wondering if they were even still there. Of course he might not know them, but there was a chance.

[/doHTMl]
[html]
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/ ... elhead.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

She moved forward slowly, closing the distance between them. Obviously the she-wolf was purposely aiming to show she posed no threat and was interested in nothing more than polite conversation. He'd assumed as much from the beginning of their interaction, but apparently his less than extroverted personality kept the girl wishing to prove her good intentions. Unknowingly her vision sought his eyes and the brilliant flames within them, but own gaze caught her violet eyes briefly and momentarily was intrigued—lost in the unusual, yet lovely shade of them. They were an opposition to his own, cool and mysterious while his were filled with pure ever-shifting hell-fire despite his otherwise non-aggressive personality.
        “You paint?” he asked curiously, himself intrigued by the craft, but he’d never been posed with opportunity to pursue such a thing. “I’ve never learned,” he trailed off, recalling the only talent he possessed was limited musical ability on the violin. But even that would take far more time and effort to perfect before he wished to allow anyone to know about it. It would be shameful, showing off with his head held high when he could only play a few notes—even if they were well practiced as they were. Jael had never been much of an egotistical creature, proud of his own abilities to the point of flaunting them. “Zana, kind of,” the youth responded quietly to the names the girl presented, knowing only one.
        Gabriel had informed him previously the girl was a cousin of sorts to him, but most of Inferni was related anyway so it made little difference. The other name he’d never yet encountered if they were even from the clan.

[/html]
[html]

A mist surrounded them, the rain so fine that its drops only created a thin sheen between them and the world. The male did not seem frightened, or uneasy as she moved forward, and his tone and postured seemed accepting. Her smile softened, listening, but did not fade completely. They looked at each other, eyes holding them still. Mati nodded and answered Yes. it was something that she enjoyed, and a few had even told her see was good at it. A wolf by the name of Honore taught me the basics. She had needed lessons, it was far from self taught.

He didn’t know much about Zana, but then neither did she. The little yote was confusing and even upsetting. But then, Mati had been much younger and recovering from being chased by a strange male. Maybe the little coyote wasn’t as bad as Mati remembered, her memories were laced with the pain and anger she had felt after been chased away. Do you like living there? I have never seen you territory… is it beautiful? She wished he would open up, though it she shouldn’t ask so much from a stranger.

[/doHTMl]
[html]

The old man had painted. Jael had observed him while he’d worked and the man had promised to teach him, but his demise had arrived before he’d been able to fulfill that promise. Still, the pale boy wished to learn. But how odd would it be to ask a stranger to show him how? He didn’t believe many luperci possessed the talent, himself finding it rare to come across a being that even knew what painting was—this girl was only the second he knew of who actually painted counting the old man.

“Maybe sometime you could show me?” he asked shyly, voice growing faint with uncertainty. “And I could give you something in return? I don’t know what.. but I could try. I don’t have many talents really..” Food was the only thing that came to mind that he could provide in return for anything. Having lived alone after the old man, after his siblings had abandon him, and before Inferni, he’d had been forced to pick up proper survival techniques or perish in the process. And despite his small size and undernourished appearance, Jael was a fairly adept hunter. “It’s alright there,” he responded to her questions about his home.

Beautiful was not a word he used often to describe anything, but Jael did find pleasure in the world around him, even if he didn’t voice it. “Mostly everyone’s family in some way. And you can see the ocean,” the youth continued, thinking on the sea. The ocean fascinated him, intrigued by tales of sailors and pirates who crossed the endless blue to distant lands unimaginable by those who’d never seen them.

[/html]
[html]

It was hard to think of something that Mati enjoyed more then creating something. Whether it was with paints, or a single charcoal pencil, Mati found that it gave a feeling of control and an outlet for emotions that she couldn’t find any other way to express. The older wolf had given her the basics, and for that she was very grateful. She felt that if she could make something that another could appreciate, beyond the sheer effort that had been placed into it she would have made something worth all the time and effort. Sure, I would like that. The girl smiled. He was opening up and Mati didn’t have many to share her artistic appreciation with so he was welcome to join her for a lesson. She shook her head slightly, Don’t worry about anything like that. It would be nice to have someone to paint with... Have another creative eye. She did not want anything in return, for she needed nothing. Her pack provided for her, and she would rather him just enjoy himself if he ever had the chance to visit her.

She wished to picture his homelands, but too many landscapes came to mind. Forest, deserts, and the ocean as Jael said. It must be nice, to have so much family around you, all your siblings. Mati thought of her brothers, her missing brothers. Haven especially filled her mind often. She wished he had returned home, but she was also happy for him. Really? I know of a few wolves that traveled over the ocean, I cant imagine such a journey. There were really beasts that board ships and traveled across such vast bodies of water. And she was only used to Rabbit Lake.

[/doHTMl]
[html]
(300)

“Really?” he said, a small smile dusting lightly across his lips. Pale, brush tail waved a few times in return—the she-wolf willing to teach him and not even desiring anything in return other than having someone else to paint with. He lowered his rear to the ground, making himself comfortable for their conversation as they continued. “Sometimes,” the boy said honestly, thinking on his family. Some he did enjoy being around, like his grandmother, and others, such as his own siblings, he didn’t get along with at all. Any time he was around his brother, Enigma, only harsh words were passed with snarling and bristling the entire time. All because of their sire, who’d lied and attempted to fill them with such hatred, permanently placing a wall between the brothers.

“Me and my siblings don’t really get along,” he admitted, sugar-coating the relationship they honestly shared, all because he looked more like their mother, a wolf, than the rest of them. Even the half-brother through his mother that he’d met Jael would never honestly consider family, finding the man arrogant and unnecessary. “What about your family? They don’t live with you?” He knew not everyone had the chance to live with their own blood, and obviously he knew nothing of the girl’s circumstances. Maybe they’d all died when she was young, or had been separated from them a long time ago. “I’d like to travel the sea someday—see new places far away from here,” Jael continued, a faintly whimsical note entering his soft-spoken voice.

Travel reminded him of the entire reason for their encounter and instantly the boy was back on his feet, facing east. “You wanted to go to the city to find paint—I’ll go with you,” he offered, one paw half-way lifted as though to start walking.

[/html]
[html]

like the new avatar

Mati looked at the fire-eyed male, his pallid hue standing out against the grey of the day. She wondered if he saw colors as she did. Inspiration for every moment, even conversations and at times, every thought. To bad if he didn’t have the same picture before him as Mati did. Even her eyes could look grey and dull as her earth muddled coat. She nodded in silent, yes; the girl would like to have someone to talk about painting and colors.

Intent on listening, the girl rested against the ground as he did. He knew what it was like to not always get along with her siblings. Though Mati did not ever believe that she and her brother Haven didn’t get along, they had moments, but there were no other siblings closer. Oh, She hadn’t thought that she had given the impression that she did no live with kin. I live with my mothers, and sister. She corrected her mistake. My bothers have ventured off, though one just lives in Cour des Miracles. She smiled, though it still stung knowing her brother was not always by her side.

I don’t know. She spoke, weakness in her voice. The sea is intimidating. Have you see pictures of the things that live beneath the surface? Sharks? Mati was frightened of the razor toothed fish. But her voice was accompanied by a laughter, knowing that such a phobia was ridiculous. But thoughts were washed away when he spoke of the city. Her eyes grew bright, Okay. She said with a smile. Rising she turned towards the city. Inferni will not be looking for you? A grin, and she was off at a smooth trot. Into the mist and the haze, fire-eyes at her side.

[/doHTMl]
[html]
thanks. he's got a purtyyy, pink, manly-man table to match, too! :] (400)

Despite an appreciation for art, Jael had yet to truly adapt an artistic eye, seeing the world as one giant painting and drawing inspiration from the colors around him. One day he probably would, if he pursued painting and drawing and learned to observe everything around him as an artist, taking in everything and filing it away in his memory for later usage. But for now he saw everything as simply being—flat and dull as the rain continued to fall non-stop. Beauty he did observe in rare moments when truly awed by something the world presented to him, but he’d never use such a word to vocally describe it. Fiery eyes did take in the world, but not in depth or detail, for he’d yet to have any reason to. He was simply a dreamer and a thinker, wondering and pondering in his wasted time. Jael grinned slightly at the mention of sea-monsters. In history books older than he could even comprehend the monsters had been greater and scarier when fueled by pure imagination and ignorance. Giant dragons and demons that glided beneath the surface, coming to light only to steal whole ships away beneath the unforgiving waves. Fairy tales thought up by fear and dreams to frighten those who’d believe without truth.

“That’s what makes it more exciting,” he replied, a light tone entering his usually apathetic voice. Emotion was rare for the boy in any form, shining through only when truly inspired by something in the world. He’d learned to hide himself away for a long time now, keeping distant and apart from his siblings and their hatred of him. The pale wolf moved along at a steady, fluid pace beside the girl as they headed for the city. “It’s alright,” he said, “I’m allowed to go into the city if I want to.” His rank was that of a spy, and so a brief disappearance wouldn’t be noted if he was gaining information for the benefit of the clan. Obviously, taking a walk with this girl to gather art supplies couldn’t be considered “information gathering,” but neither would he tell her of his current position within Inferni. It wasn’t a proper thing to say during a first encounter, that he was a spy sent from Inferni to observe the surrounding territories because he looked so much like one of them, alleviating mistrust with his snowy coat.

[/html]
[html]

ooh I like it!

It had taken her time, to develop the sight. But it was naturally ingrained in her, and rose from her depths with a slow ease. It was just one way to view the world, and it was peaceful one. She knew of those that saw only the dark, those that searched for it. Some hoped to extinguish such color, while others wished for its spread.

Mati could have laughed at his words, noticing the slight change in his voice. Such creatures were frightening, but maybe for some fear brought excitement. Ok, Mr. Daredevil… Her voice still help that bit of humor, and she looked at him with a teasing eye. Maybe that was what it really meant to be brave. To be fueled by fear and let it touch your soul in a different way. Mati had never really though such a thing possible, fear was just… fear. But she smiled; almost proud that she had brought something from the young male. Her step lightened for a moment.

She didn’t want to admit that she was glad he was joining her to other reasons, beyond the company. It was safer to go in pairs, and she liked that she would not be alone. She hadn’t been to the concrete jungle, not since visiting the university. But she didn’t want to admit it, that she was afraid. They continued, and Mati filled her mind was other thoughts, Why don’t you and your siblings get along? The question came before Mati had much time to think it through. But if he only needed to tell her just as much as he wanted, even if that meant nothing at all.

[/doHTMl]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/ ... 2fab4a.png) bottom right no-repeat #0D0D0B; color:#fff; border:4px solid black; filter:alpha(opacity=80); -moz-opacity:0.8; width:325px; padding:5px; padding-bottom: 15px; margin:-55px auto 0 auto;" align=justify>

Secretly, death did frighten the boy, awakening him in the night with dreams of terror and eternal darkness. He didn’t believe in life after death or a soul’s reincarnation, but forever silence as you slowly decayed back into the earth from whence all life came. This scared him, for he didn’t wish to sleep forever, seeing nothing, hearing nothing, and simply ceasing to exist as a blanket of blank, unending blackness pressed in on all sides. Jael liked to exist. He liked to breath and see and to be. But that wouldn’t hold him back from enjoying the life he had while he did live. He could easily avoid everything that held the potential to end his existence, carefully attempting to evade the inevitable, but then he’d have wasted his precious short time here and accomplished nothing with his life, experiencing and learning nothing. He wished to sail the ocean and scale mountaintops, seeing all there was to see and taking in everything possible from this world. Fear would only hold him back, and he couldn’t stand for that. “Hey, why fear?” he asked lightly, grinning shyly. “I’d rather die in the jaws of some monster in a land far away then hide in some hole cowering because I’m scared,” and he spoke only what was true to him.

“I look too much like someone,” the pale creature replied vaguely, responding to her inquiry about him and his siblings. He’d always resembled their mother far too much with his pale coat and wolfish build, and so they’d turned against him, allowing that to manifest itself into absolute hatred. At least, Enigma had. Halo had always been closer to her other brother, but he didn’t know whether or not she truly hated him as their sibling did, or simply followed him because he’d believed Vitium. His voice had fallen, tone fading from muted excitement to sharp indifference, as though he didn’t care, when it really pained him to be so outcasted by his own blood for something he had no control over.

[/html]
[html]

posting from work, forgive the grammer and poor quality that might be found :3

Was she too scared? The question it self was humorous. Of course she was too fearful, but then where had courage gotten her? The scars she wore were testament to that stupidity. Once strong enough to stay alone in the city at night, and then not heeding to her nervousness and fleeing the moment she began to feel the panic. Maybe sailing across the sea would be different, maybe wrestling a shark wasn’t like feeling the hands of the dark male holding her down? If she could control the fear, and control the things that brought it forth in her mind she might be able to master it at last. And then she would fear nothing.
“No one found happiness in some hole.” She smiled at him, a meek and closed moth grin.

She thought of her brother when he said those words. She had never loved him any less, though he looked so much like their father. Mati would never dream to hate him because of it, or to treat him any different. It almost angered her to think that they would treat Jael differently because of it.
“That’s foolish.” She retorted, a bit of bitterness on her tongue.
“For them to judge you like that”, if Mati had her own blood that she would never get anywhere near Haven. Mati would not judge him as they did, or believe that they might be right in their discrimination. What had that beast done to make them hate? It didn’t matter, it just wasn’t right.

[/doHTMl]
[html]

Her bitterness at her own response caused his interest to spark, never believing he’d find another who felt the same way he did. His views of the world were distorted and biased by the hands of his own father, training his children to be naïve and ignorant through intentional, irrational reasoning. Jael had hated how he’d been ostracized from his brother and sister for no better reason than he looked the most like a wolf—but they were all nothing more than wolves, only pretending to be coyotes. Vitium was barely a coyote at all, his father a wolf and his mother a hybrid. This biggest irony must have been that Vitium had been banished from Inferni for saving a wolf, turning against his own supposedly so beloved family to defend the creature he stated he hated so much. They had all loved their mother once, but Vitium had stepped between them, stealing them away after hurting her and lying like the lowly coward he was. As far as they knew, they had no reason to hate their mother, and yet the others followed so blindly, listening to their sire like the ignorant children they were and believing whatever he said, no matter how ridiculous. “I always thought so,” he said softly, no longer cheerful or excited.

But no matter what these two believed, the others still hated and there was nothing they could do about it. Jael had tried—he’d attempted to make his siblings see reason, but they simply laughed, calling him the fool and assuring him he should have had his neck snapped at birth. Fangs clenched in anger, fiery eyes smoldering like hellish embers. “I don’t want to talk it anymore,” he stated simply, biting back his bitterness and resentment. He didn’t wish to be angry anymore—especially around someone he’d just met. His business was his business and he didn’t wish to share it with a stranger. He wouldn’t walk around with his heart on his sleeve, free for all to see and harm. He’d prefer to recede back into his safe haven, wearing a mask and only presenting what he wanted others to see. A smile crossed his lips, acting as though the fire that had just burned within him had never happened. “I’d rather talk about the ocean. Maybe one day I’ll build a ship and sail it,” he said, optimist injected into his tone, if only though sheer force of will.

[/html]
[html]

The failures, the wrongs of the parents always seemed to trickle down into the children. They could shadow their lives, and without great strength and help their could be a darkness cast over them for life. The girl could forget sometimes, the thing that her father had done. Days could pass and she wouldn’t think of it at all. But her brother would, in each reflection that he saw. It was worse for those that bore the resemblance, and as she did his siblings should know and understand that hurt. They should comfort him, not discriminate.

She looked at his face, and he looked whiter then before. Like the life that she found in his coat gone. All that was left were the crimson orbs, full of the blaze she had set forth inside of him. He spoke, and Mati took a breath and tried to smile. She managed to, and spoke. “Okay.” It was fine if he didn’t want to talk, though Mati was more then happy to listen. She understood, or could at least make a decent attempt. But when the change of emotion washed over him like a silk veil Mati knew very well to let it fall. Her smile grew, and the longer she held it the more real it felt. She wondered if he felt the same way with his façade.

“But where would you go?” and looked at him with a curious and more energetic look. “And who would you take with you? Company can be more important then the destination you know.” She smiled again, wanting to wash away the anger and wishing away the pain her question had brought him.

[/html]
[html]

She went along with his change of pace in the conversation, and for this he was grateful. There was no use spilling all his deepest secrets, showing everyone who he was like an open book. Secrets were meant to be pressed solely to one’s heart, only shared with the closest of companions. And though this she-wolf seemed nice enough, he couldn’t really say he knew her all that well yet. She continued, following his intentional reversal of discussion back to the sea—a far more delightful topic for conversation to the youth. “I dunno,” he replied, honestly not possessing an answer to her inquiry. Where he would go, he had no idea. It would have to be someplace nice, of course. Perhaps somewhere cool, as his arctic heritage cried out for, rather than hot, sunny, and dry. “North, probably. I like the snow,” he said, gaze cast downward on the ground before his paws as they walked. But fiery vision shifted, finally turning back to Mati, fully regarding her now, if still shyly.

“I dunno,” he repeated, knowing the answer before he even spoke. “I don’t really have any friends, so there’s no one I could take with me.” Family disregarded him and friends he’d never made—he honestly didn’t even think he knew how to make friends, as he’d never done it before. He was walking and talking with this girl, but he couldn’t consider her friend, and it would be too far out of place to ask her to sail the ocean with him on a first encounter, if she’d even want to be stuck indefinitely on a boat with him anyway. And he somehow doubted they’d ever meet again—he wasn’t interesting enough for that. He shrugged, vision again shifting uncomfortably to the path before him as Jael fell silent.

[/html]