If I could change, and keep the rain away
[html]

Mati wasn’t one for telling all her little secrets. But she wasn’t so much afraid of letting someone in or that they would know her more then she might feel comfortable. She didn’t want to remember. She would rather forget those things that had happened, the things of the white collared male, the things he had tried to do to her and how she had just narrowly refused. She wanted to know him, as she wanted to know everyone. But only if that information was willing given. Knowing that another wanted to open up to her was just as valuable as the information given.

All the way up there? She smiled, closed mouth as she looked to the ground she walked on while she listened. He wanted to go to the lands of ice and snow, when worlds awaited him and his ship. Places that held cultures and creatures that were so unknown that they did everything backwards and walked on their hands (or she imagined). And he wanted to go north. She wasn’t critical, but found that he was letting her into who he was even if he didn’t want her to know. She wandered if he wished to be alone, and his response to her question made her think that he did indeed wish for some sort of solitude.

The lands of ice and snow, winter that never ended, was lonely. Dark for days, and with no trees for shelter and the ground too hard to borrow in. He was alone here, but surrounded by different creatures, up there he would be alone for real. “I feel like there are a few souls out there that would like a charter to the north.” If he had no friends, then he could always sell the seats on his vessel. The city neared, though all Mati truly noticed was the change from soft forest floor to broken concrete. She remained silent for a moment, eyes on the path. “We have snow here you know.” Her eyes returned to the fire that permanently raged inside his eyes. Burning orbs alone wouldn’t keep him warm in the nights of endless winter. She wondered if he knew that. A playful smirk came to her face as she finished speaking, the words were just incase he didn’t know. Though she was sure he did.

[/html]
[html]

Jael had never wished to be alone, but he’d grown accustomed to it. Why should his siblings wish to play with him when they hated him? He was a disgusting wolf and they didn’t wish to associate with him, let alone keep him company. They had always had each other, and he’d been the odd man out, left alone with only his solitude as a companion. He’d grown up that way, living in such a manner for so long he was unfamiliar with anything else. He’d sought Inferni as a means of having company in some form or another, and yet he distanced himself from the clan and inadvertently sought loneliness without even realizing it. It had been ingrained into his nature, not leaving room for much else. And he was comfortable being alone, knowing exactly who he was and not having to fear others creeping into his soul, finding out who he truly was. He didn’t even know why he was so scared of letting others in, and yet he refused to talk openly with this girl though he himself had chosen to walk alongside her.

“Yeah, but it’s only once a year here. I think I’d like snow all the time. And if I get tired of it, I can just leave and find someplace else to go,” he responded, adoring the idea of the world as his playground without any chains or bounds to hold him back save distance. He longed to be utterly free, traveling where he wished and observed all there was to see without a single real worry in the world, watching the sun rise from distant mountains and seeing the moon illuminate a thousand different skies. “Do you like snow?” he suddenly asked, fixating flaming eyes on the girl beside him.

[/html]
[html]

Mati was never alone, not when she wanted company. It was as if she could wish for it, and another was there for company and conversation. She missed no one but her brother Haven, his presence had been paramount in her early months, and now he was gone. She would never go accustomed to being without, and a long ride on a ship, all alone was not something she would ever do. Nothing could happen to her that would make the brown hued fey want solitude for so long. Instead of asking anymore, Mati had learned from that mistake and focus on only what he wanted to talk about.

She nodded, of course winter did only come once a year. Though she didn’t think that she could sacrifice the three other seasons for it. Winter was cold, unforgiving and hurtful. Winter killed wolves with more cruelty then any other season. Fall was far more peaceful.
“I do.” She spoke honestly. Snow was fun, and held the colors of crystal and trapped sunlight and well as the glow of the moon.
“But if it never melted, I think my toes would freeze off.” He voice held a light-hearted tone.
“ And you would blend in at least, I’d stick out like a sore thumb.” She smiled at him, thinking on her dirty coat compared to his. She was sure in less wet weather his pelt was just as pure as fresh snow.

[/html]
[html]

He snorted softly at her words, amused by her light-hearted tone. "Maybe," he replied, own voice growing with amusement. "But you could always get a pair of gloves." Jael was attempting to draw the conversation to a lighter air as well, aiming to forget the anger that had permeated his tone only moments before. Here maybe in the forests she blended in perfectly, as wolves were meant to do, but Jael was made for colder climates and snowier regions. His pale coat was perfect camouflage in the northland, but not here, save in the cooler, harsher months. “Here I always stick out like a sore thumb,” he answered quietly, silently referring to more than just his frigid appearance. He was a wolf in sheep’s clothing within Inferni, and never really belonged anywhere. Wolves even outcasted him because of his pack alliance, ostracizing him for nothing more than choosing to reside in the only place he actually knew he had family.

It was ridiculous, and yet maybe some souls were just destined to be alone right from the beginning, forever outside the reach of others. Perhaps it was some sort of penance for sins of a past life, coming back to haunt him now when he could remember nothing he’d done wrong to warrant such treatment. Either way, he was a loner, destined for solitude unless he found some strange creature who didn’t mind his company, and that he found himself comfortable around. Peering around the city, he slowed his pace slightly, inquiring lightly, “Do you even know where to find paint here?” The city was large and foreboding—Jael had no clue where to find paint supplies in this huge, relentless place and could only hope the girl knew better than he did.

[/html]
[html]

She laughed at his comment, “A wolf, in gloves.” The young woman reflected. A smiled on her maw, and looking down at the ground. She didn’t know what she would do if winter never ended. Adapt, change. Things were always changing as so was she. Why wouldn’t she be able to wear gloves… “And snow boots, maybe?” The picture of a large fey in boots brought another small laugh to her throat. She looked at him as he spoke again, looking at the mud that filtered through the pure strands of fur.

“You only need to play in a puddle.” She motioned to his legs, the dirties part of him. “And you’d blend right in.” She was only teasing him, though as she said the words she feared that once again she went over the line. Soon he would stalk off and regret ever meeting her. She looked up, seeing that city did surround them. Mati stopped, looking around and finding that she didn’t truly recognize this part of the city. She hesitated. but looked back at the male, “I usually enter the city another way…” She admitted feeling embarrassed.

“I guess it was a waste of a long walk.” She felt bad, not knowing where she was or where the art store she frequented lay among all the other buildings.

[/html]
[html]

“Of course,” he agreed with a small smile, vaguely envisioning a wolf in gloves and snow boots and finding it a distinctly bizarre image. She motioned to his legs, speaking, and for a moment Jael didn’t know exactly what to say in response. She was joking, obviously, but his reply severely depended on whether or not he could make fun of himself for the sake of amusement. He chose to allow the joke, smirking faintly in an awkward manner. “Yeah, smear mud on me and I’ll be just like everyone else,” he responded—and to confirm this he leapt ahead, intentionally pouncing on a patch of damp, muddy earth in the road. Claws grazed the concrete as he turned back, peering around the city that surrounded them.

“Oh,” he voiced, again unsure how to react. “Not really,” he said softly, again offering a half forced smile for friendliness’ sake. “I like to walk around sometimes—good exercise.” He was partially lying, but no sense in the girl feeling bad about him accompanying her all this way for nothing. He hadn’t minded the walk at all, intending to wander around today in the first place, so nothing was lost on his part. “Maybe we should look around anyway.. just incase there’s another art store around here?” he suggested, glancing into the shadows of a gutted building and wondering what exactly an art store might look like.

[/html]
[html]

300+

She was nervous about his response, and yet she could not help but be amused by his resistance to just relax and smile. Perhaps it was just that she found it easy to talk to others, and be open to those that she felt comfortable with, and those were not rare moments. Past experiences had taught her to be weary, and to know and see the darkness in those that held it. But when it was absent, Mati wanted to experience the goodness that was found within them.

He took her words as the joke she meant them to be, and she laughed softly as he accented the humor with a jump into a puddle of dirty rain water. It splashed around his paws and legs, and the lower half of him did seem to look like a regular timber wolf. Even so, Mati found nothing wrong with the sight of him, he was a vivid and colorful as the rest. It was just hard to see it.

“I guess we should,” She spoke, her words filled with an enthusiasm that she took from his suggestion. For a moment she wanted to thank him for not believing that it was a waste, she enjoyed his company. And he didn’t mind her presence it seemed, though conversation didn’t exactly come easy to him. “there is always something to look at around here.” She concluded, violet eyes looked at the pale face and the fire gaze he held. Perhaps there was something other then art supplies that they could find, though Mati still needed certain colors of paint.

Large round paws walked slowly over the rain-moistened pavement. She ignored the cracks and uneven ground, sticking close to the white and mud tones male. As interesting as the city could be Mati knew of its treachery.

[/html]