a silent goodbye
[html]

There had been few occasions to which Ryan had gone to the D'Neville Mansion. And now, it would most likely be the last. She climbed up the steps to the front door, holding a sheet of paper in one hand, and a small nail in the other. Though the task would have been easier with one of those human tools, Ryan was able to wedge the nail in the wood enough to secure the letter to the front door. She sighed, starring at the foreign symbols for a moment. She had meet a wolf not far from Inferni’s north-western borders and he had agreed to copy down what she told him. Ryan could only hope he had written them correctly and that someone in Inferni would be able to interpret. She traced the letters with one finger, finding the brimming tears in her eyes spilling over the edges.

To Inferni,

Ever since I arrived last year, Inferni has been the one place that has been home. Somehow it just felt right to be living here and I have cherished every moment within your borders. I’ve made great memories here, connected with the family I didn’t know existed, and met some wonderful people. But now there has come a time in my life that I feel it is right for me to leave.

Gabriel,
You have always been like an uncle to me and I have a lot of respect for you. For as long as I live I will never forget all the you have done for me – the opportunities, the advice, and the care. I’m sorry I couldn’t have served you better, but I know you will always keep Inferni safe.

Anselm,
I’m sorry to leave when you have only just got back. I really will miss you. Please look after Valkyrie, as she will now be without a mother and father. I hope you two will form a strong bond and keep our family spirit alive. I love you very much.

Valkyrie,
Each day you are becoming a beautiful, strong woman. I know you will be able to take care of yourself and will come to do wonderful things. Go after whatever your heart desires and remember that I love you with all my heart – never forget that.

I hope to be back again someday and join your ranks, if you’ll still have me. But right now, my heart is in another place and I must go search for it. Otherwise, I fear it might break beyond repair.

Please forgive me,
Ryan

And with nothing but her purple dress adorning her frame, Ryan turned to leave in Inferni’s borders indefinitely.

[/html]
[html]
I'm playing as though he found the note today (14 Sept), rather than when the thread was posted. Anselm rarely goes to the mansion. x_x Shouldn't make too much of a difference since I just wanted to reply once to this, any way. ):

@#$%&He hadn't been through here since the ordeal with Firefly had ended. The secret passageways and rooms that initially delighted him, each filled with ancient and bizarre treasures, could no longer rouse his interest. The place had always given him something of a weird vibe; perhaps some would chalk it up to the restless spirits of the deceased that may very well have haunted the gardens and chambers, but Anselm didn't believe in ghosts. To him, this was merely where they had kept held their hostage and that was bad enough. It was hard to say what caused him to gravitate here this day--he'd been trailing a hare, but when it turned and fled into the gardens he'd caught sight of the old storage shed that the girl had been imprisoned in.

@#$%&A breeze, strangely chilled and sharp for the otherwise warm and gentle weather, ruffled his fur and the paper attached to the door alike. His ears pressed forward at the scratchy sound--the only one to be heard, it seemed, for as usual the mansion was engulfed in some kind of unearthly silence. He padded carefully to the door, almost as if he expected someone or something to leap at him from behind the hedges and fences. Nothing did, however, and he squinted at the note above. Glancing behind his back momentarily, he smoothly began to shift to his optime form. Whence the transformation was completed, he studied the note carefully. It took him a good while to read it (he wasn't extremely efficient with these things, and it was unnatural for his eyes to focus on such fine detail for prolonged periods of time), but even before he got to the signature at the end he had a feeling who the author was.

@#$%&As he finished, he glanced around as if he might catch her on the way out, but he was already two days late. He was always late. In anger or despair, he lashed out and struck the door, which resulted in little more than throbbing knuckles and a dull, hollow thud. It was enough to push the door open, though, and he went in quickly, searching throughout the house as if he might find her there. Another's scent was prominent--one of the clan mates he hadn't met had taken up residence here, although she did not seem to be home. He erupted on a third floor balcony, squinting into the surrounding forest only briefly before a low, forlorn howl rose up in his chest. It was the call of a wolf, mostly, but it was also the call of loss. His ears pricked forward as the sound died down, swallowed up by the forest, and he eased himself down to the second floor balcony and then the ground below before taking off into the waning light of day.
[/html]