Check My Brain
[html]

dated to tomorrow, please. here is the book she's reading. wc: 306

She had thought about going back to Dahlia for a while, but had changed her mind as soon as she had left the university library. The hybrid that she had met there had been very interesting indeed, showing her different books until they found the perfect one together. There had been two copies of it, thankfully. The hybrid, Marik, had told her that this book would really help her out, and she planned on reading it once she got back to her pack. The morning was a nice one, crisp but not so chilly outside that the animals weren't out. It was around 30 degrees Farenheit, warm enough for the snow to start melting later in the day as it warmed up more. The yearling chose to sit on the front step of one of the bars that she had located rather than make the trip home, flipping through the pages of her book. One blue and one gold eye looked up every so often, wary of the city and of those who chose to stay in it like she was.

The cover of the book read "Karamel Sultan", something that she didn't really understand, but the pictures explained it well enough. And there were some other recognizable words on the cover..."A new guide to the ancient arts of love". If she was going to get Hemming, she'd have to learn some of this stuff and learn it fast. Next time she would come prepared. Addi was just turning past the introduction to the book when she heard a sound. Her ears perked up and she stood quickly, taking small, quiet steps toward where she thought it had come from. There was a bag...she could see that. But who did it belong to? Not seeing anyone around she came slowly forward, reaching down toward it.

[/html]
[html]
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... Angelo.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">Word Count: 410

Haku Soul had offered him insight, and for this, the D’Angelo was grateful. It showed him the truth of the world he was now a part of—that Tak’s hold did indeed reach far, and that he was not alone in knowing the truth of such demons. Now, though, his purpose was two-fold. In order to find his family, and to do what in his heart he knew was right, he had to survive the winter. With the makeshift home he had constructed for Misery now his own, there was more preparation needed still. Blankets, fire-making supplies, weapons and further tools in order to ensure he made it to the spring. On top of that, he needed not only to provide for himself, but for the still unnamed horse that was now his only companion.
    The Belgian was tethered not far from his current position, waiting with a patience that all draft horses carried. Larkspur himself had an almost unnatural patience—it was the only thing that had enabled him to survive the four long years he had lived in the Khalif. It was a useful skill, and one he prided far more then knowledge of human artifacts. That was why, after two hours, he was in the same store still trying to figure out what exactly he needed. While obvious supplies, like blankets, were easy to find and indentify, medicine was something that he had never really considered. Misery had always been his healer, and before then, he had not considered first aid outside of licking his wounds. But both he and the horse would need help if they were to make it through safely, and he intended to make sure this happened.
    Finally, after studying and smelling over a dozen medicine-type artifacts, he settled on taking two bottles, and then began making his way out of the store. It was then, with a great surprise, that he saw a girl reaching towards his faded army-surplus bag. Startled, and now feeling a sensation he had never felt before—something that made his muscles tense and his heart flutter, suddenly terrified she might take HIS bag—he rushed forward and grabbed her by the wrist. “What’r y’doin?” He barked, black to blonde hair falling around his face, making him look perhaps twice as crazy as he otherwise did—all black and orange and with peculiar runes carved into his forearms, and a singular stone entity hanging from around his neck.

Table code and image © to Alaine

[/html]
[html]

wc: 318

She was a blank canvas as far as some things were concerned; she had been taught the basics of what was right and what was wrong, but as she had grown older the lines had blurred. She didn't care if stealing was wrong or anything as long as it made her happy to do it. If it made her happy, then it was a right and good thing. Her hand was almost on the bag by the time she heard the stranger's voice, and, startled, she attempted to withdraw it. Instead, she was tugged slightly forward, her wrist caught in the grips of the owner of that voice.

How was she to know that this bag belonged to anyone, anyway, even if she did care about ownership? They'd left it unprotected. If she had been given a few seconds more she might have had it...but now that she was nearer she could see that he had a horse, as well. He probably could have caught her. All of this information passed through her mind in the few moments that she froze, trapped momentarily. When the world rushed back to her she pulled her arm backwards hard, trying to break it from his grip. "Let go of me, you weirdo! I was just taking a look at this bag! It was just sittin' out here waiting for someone to come pick it up. This city's full of crap just waiting for someone like me to come across't it"

She stared up at him, blue and gold eyes fierce. She didn't have any weapons--oh, why hadn't she thought to bring any knives with her? If he wouldn't let her go, then she didn't know what she'd do. She wanted to try and deter violence as long as she could. "What, you sayin' you're the owner of this ugly old bag? What's it got in it that's so valuable, huh?"

[/html]
[html]
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... Angelo.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">Word Count: 317

It didn’t matter that she had been stealing, for Larkspur was no more then a thief himself, but the fact it wasn’t someone else’s personal belongings but his own was wrong. He was not used to feeling possessive over any items, but now that he was alone there was nothing but the things he carried with him to keep him company. Even though he was used to isolation, he needed things to keep himself busy and to keep himself sane. That, of course, was relative. In the weeks since Misery had abandoned him, the voice of the can tah had slowly begun to grow louder. It was still barely above a whisper, but he could hear it more then he had that first day.
    That same voice whispered again, and his eyes turned inward, focusing on the sound above the high-pitched whine from the girl, now struggling in his grip. She was weak, as were all females, and she was young and inexperienced. If she twisted too hard, he would break her wrist. The can tah’s voice quieted and he slowly turned his focus back to the ginger girl, catching only the last outburst. As his eyes focused down on her, in a face scrunched with the ugly “I want” expression, a spoiled, pouting look he had seen in his cousins too many times before, he realized what the whisper had tried to tell him. Haku’s description of his…well, he wasn’t sure what she was to him, actually. Regardless, he knew who she was by the peculiar bicolor eyes and that streak of roan that set apart her otherwise dull, mousey fur. Mah effects,” he pronounced sharply, pulling her closer to him with one solid jerk. “Ain’t you a bit far from home, Addison?” His lips pulled back in an ivory, yellowing smile. It was horrifying, as if the madman found the power of her name humorous.

Table code and image © to Alaine

[/html]
[html]
short <33

She didn't enjoy being pulled around by her arm, especially, and gave a loud growl when she realized that he wasn't letting go. The wound on her shoulder had healed over, yes, but there was still a substantial amount of damage on the inside that was not one hundred percent fixed. She bared her teeth and let out a snarl when he yanked her forward, the pain in her arm almost crippling. "Fuck off, you don't own me, loner. My pack will tear you apart" she threatened.

How did he know her name? She narrowed her gaze even more, brows furrowing further. The thing about her pack had been a lie, of course. The only ones who would "tear him up" for messing with her were Jefferson and Geneva, most likely. Her adopted father had fought for her before. "What are you, some kind of stalker? And let go of my fucking arm, you're hurting me"

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 312

In Character

She was a ball of spitfire, but her strength was nowhere near his own. If he had wanted to, he could have snapped her wrist then and there. Larkspur had no intention of harming anyone, though, least of all the girl he had failed to find before. His orange eyes narrowed, sharpening as they studied her peculiar colors. They were unfamiliar to him—they did not belong to any of the D’Angelo lines he had ever seen. Still, he had no reason to doubt Haku Souls word, and he did not. This girl was his kin, by whatever means, and he intended to begin what he had been left here to do. The can tah whispered, and even though the girl was screaming about her pack, he could hear it. Still, the idea of Dahlia de Mai coming down on his head was a shallow threat. Her alpha had given him permission, and furthermore, make sure that Lark had understood that they were far from enemies when he left their land.

“Stop fighting me,” he commanded, forcing his face to remain still, forcing himself to appear as least threatening as possible. He could not afford to break the girl’s trust so easily. “Haku told me yer name,” he explained, and wondered, suddenly, why she didn’t recognize the symbols on his arms. They would have explained everything, had she been able to read it. The girl was not a D’Angelo as he knew them, and once more, that whispering voice rushed in and warned him as it had when he had spoken to Haku. Though they shared blood, he could not trust her yet with all he had to speak. “M’name is Larkspur D’Angelo, I ain’t here to hurt you. Now calm down,” he added, and finally released her am, hoping desperately she would not spook and run as he expected her to.

<style>
.larkspur-002 p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.larkspur-002 b {color:#DB9500;}
.larkspur-002-separator {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; margin:0px 0px 2px 0px; color:#FFFF13; padding-right:20px;}
.larkspur-002-ooc {font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.larkspur-002 {background-color:#000000; padding:207px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/larkspur.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family:'book antiqua', 'bookman old style', georgia, serif; font-size:13px; color:#333333; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
I love that table of yours :3

She didn't really care what he had to say, as long as this blinding pain would stop. She was riddled senseless by it. When she heard Haku's name she stopped pulling, though, and the pain ceased the tiniest of bits. "Haku, huh? You met Haku?" Or was he lying about it? The skeptical wolf's frown lifted slightly and she cleared her throat. "I never heard of no Larkspur. What kind of name is that? You one of that Naniko woman's kids?" She asked. She knew there was another D'Angelo...she lived in Phoenix Valley now.

When her arm was released she simply stood there rubbing it. After a minute she took a couple of steps back, far enough away from him that he would not be able to grab her again so easily. Addison was interested in knowing where he'd come from and how they were related, if nothing else. "You already know my name...did Haku tell you who my folks are too? My life story, perhaps?"

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 420. Sie made it.

In Character

My, she was mouthy. He frowned, listening to her, and kept his Jack o’ Lantern eyes focused on her face. She was young and uneducated, and she responded only to things that kept her interest. It was like talking to a squirrel, the way she kept jabbering on. Flicking one ear as if the noise irritated him, the D’Angelo male cocked his head doggishly and stared at her face with the same sort of curiosity that one might have in regards to an unfamiliar and unwelcomed pest. Lifting one scarred, relic ridden arm to scratch at his neck, Larkspur spoke flatly. “Haku and I’r acquainted. I met him a few days ago,” he explained, though the concept of time was falling through his hands the more he found himself unable to sleep. It came and went, these peculiar instances, and he found them less daunting when the world so dark and the ini silent. The can tah would whisper, and it soothed him into a dream state where everything was calm, and safe. The dream catcher made sure of that.

“He ain’t told me nothin’ except yer name. You weren’t around when we went lookin’ for ya, but here ya are so I guess that’s just how it goes.” He grinned then, an off white smile that looked remarkably peculiar because it was not friendly. It was the grin of a dead man, of a pumpkin’s cut up face, of a Cheshire cat and an unfriendly and wicked beast. Except he was not half so terrible as he looked, with his Halloween coat and his glyph ridden arms. He was a monster by his coat and by his breed, but it as his duty to maintain a sense of normalcy around those who would find him peculiar. The Khalif had not considered him anything less then evil, and Misery had gone to lengths to try and change him. She had made his arms the way they were, and she had bleached out the sections of his fur that were starting to grow out.

Addison, he realized, had given him more then he needed. “Naniko? Who is she?” Though he was obviously interested, his voice remained level, hiding the excitement that perhaps she would be able to point him towards the next target of his education. There had to be more then one here, given that Misery had spoken so much on the matter. If he could find the rest of them soon, this would become very easy, and very quick.

<style>
.larkspur-002-separator {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; margin:0px 0px 2px 0px; color:#FFFF13; padding-right:20px;}
.larkspur-002-ooc {font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.larkspur-002 {background-color:#000000; padding:207px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/larkspur.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family:'book antiqua', 'bookman old style', georgia, serif; font-size:13px; color:#333333; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

She wasn't sure how interested she was in knowing this part of the family. The dude was really starting to freak her out with the way he kept smiling at her. She wanted to know what he was thinking, but didn't want to ask. What could provoke that odd type of expression? Maybe he was more interested in hearing about her then she was about him. He looked older than her... so perhaps he wasn't one of Naniko's kids.

"Ok" She said simply when he mentioned that they had looked for her inside the packlands. Addison was in Dahlia about as much as she was outside of it, so she wasn't surprised that they hadn't found her. Rank didn't mean much to her, nor did pack duty. She liked to have power, yes, but only when it benefited her. She liked her freedom just as much.

"You're not from 'round here, are you? Everyone knows who Naniko is--she was the only D'Angelo around here for a good long time. Her and her litters. She's got a crap ton of kids, I guess. I don't know much about her besides her name and her kids' names and where she lives. Sometimes she sends me letters." Addison looked at him evenly. What use was this information to him? "Why do you want to know?"

[/html]
[html]

In Character

This girl, she did not consider herself bound to Dahlia. Such information only served to further his ambition—those without strong bonds to a singular place were weak. Truth be told, much of this could be said for Larkspur. He, however, had a separated and much more potent duty to uphold. No one, not even Dahlia de Mai’s leader, could sway him from that. Misery might have left him to his own devices, but Larkspur would follow what path he needed to in order to complete the task at hand.

His young companion was not only free in spirit, but with her mouth as well. She began to talk, and boy did she talk. Naniko was the only D’Angelo around, and had children, and could write. The excitement was still hiding under the mask of placidity, but his eyes were burning as if a fire had been lit behind them. “I’m looking for my family,” he explained, but did not go further from this point. “Do you know where I can find her?”

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

As long as he was willing to let her go in peace and (preferably) never talk to her again, then she'd tell him whatever he wanted to know. She wanted to forget that she had gotten caught during her thieving or that this conversation had even happened at all. The girl tried to keep as many good memories close to her as she could and tried to let the bad ones go. It was the only way that she'd managed to get through the things that she had been through so far in her life.

"I guess that's as good a reason as any. I ain't got any reason to keep this to myself, not like it really affects me anyway. Ever since she got off the drugs she's been hanging around Phoenix Valley. But that's really all I know. I'd show ya the letters if I had them with me..but I don't carry 'em around. She got kicked out of her last pack...the stupid wolf. As far as I know she ain't got kicked outta this one yet." She said. "And if that's all ya want, then I think I'll be gettin' along."

[/html]