Baby Steps to Independance, A Pup's First Memory
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... ntable.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Hey all! I've been adopted into the pack by the virtue of Xeris and Pendzez.

The occasional ray of sunlight broke through the clouds. Somewhere in the trees a raven cried its bitter cry. Free of cares or worry, unconcerned with the realities of war, a young Luperci pup was tearing through the snow like a lightning bolt. His snow-white fur would have rendered him nearly invisible against the white powder on the ground if he were capable of staying still for more than two seconds. Delwyn Zazkex was a model of innocence and wonder. A nearby rustling perked his ears up with curiosity. Without a moment's hesitation he tore over to the source of the noise.

Luckily for the pup, it wasn't a hungry predator: in this case it was a scrawny hare. The long eared vermin froze with terror at the engergetic pup's rapid approach. "Hello there!" Delwyn yipped. The hare said nothing. "Why are your ears so big?" Asked the pup. Without waiting for a response (which is just as well, because there wasn't going to be one), the pup continued: "Do you know my mama? Is there any food back there? Do you live in a cabin too? What's your name?" The hare finally decided it wasn't in any danger, and scampered off. Delwyn cocked his head curiously for a moment, before losing interest and gnawing on a nearby stump.

The noon-day sun was muffled by the ever-present gray of winter, but the small glade Delwyn had found was naturally bright and inviting. The tiny luperci had wandered off further than he'd ever been from Xeris' cabin, which would surely worry his mother, but the hyperactive tyke hardly thought to consider that his actions would have consequences. In fact, it didn't even occur to him that all the noise he was making would surely nearby attract attention...

[/html]
[html]

ooc- =waves!= Big Grin
word count: 309

-------------------------------------------------------------

Cerridwyn strolled silently through the bare forest, no sure mission in mind. She was still exploring Phoenix Valley, figuring out the ins and outs of the territory she'd been so graciously welcomed in to. Her chocolate eyes wandered in their charcoal mask, soaking in the scenery. Much as she disliked winter, there was a certain beauty to the bare trees, the clean blanket of snow marred only by tracks here and there of small animals, deer, and, of course, wolves. It was a time of silence, darkness and death, but beneath this wintery chill lay a promise of new birth, of the blossoms and babies to come. The tri-color mix could feel the subdued vibrations waiting to be let out in the trees, in the seemingly-dead bushes, in the very soil beneath her paws.

She paused, leaning on her stang, her staff with a symmetrical split at the top, and breathed deeply of the crisp winter air. She closed her eyes and relished it. The wolf-hybrid was nearly in a meditative state when a young, eager voice jolted her out of her reverie. She smiled softly and turned, walking toward the source. The saddled female broke through the trees just as the pup was finishing his interrogation, and she saw a flash of white take off through the trees. She chuckled and approached the young one, who was nearly white as the snow itself, and who was also now busying himself trying, it appeared, to consume a stump. She chuckled. "Bre'er Hare wa' nae blessed by Danu as ye an' I were wi' speech, young un," she said, musical laughter underscoring her lilting words. "But iffen he were, he'd likly tell ye tha' 'is ears're big so's to 'ear danger better, an' that he dun live inna cabin, bu' a den, an' that he likely dun know yer mum."

table credit titmouse

[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... ntable.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

This one is going to be pretty short. Apologies!

Delwyn could barely contain his excitement when a new playmate approached him. He shot like a tiny rocket and pranced around and between her feet before spinning around towards her: "You talk funny!" he grinned. Tact was not a skill he had quite mastered yet.

Suddenly he sat, his head cocked to one side. "Or maybe I talk funny. Does everyone else talk like you? How did you learn to talk like that?" Delwyn sniffed at the air. "What do you want to play?!" he asked, incapable of waiting for a response. Then, busily, he set about trying to grab hold of Cerridwyn's tail with his tiny milk fangs, and tug at it.

[/html]
[html]

ooc- Lol, Delwyn is adorable XD.
word count: 335

-------------------------------------------------------------

Cerriwyn let out a peal of laughter at the pup's excited exclamations. "I s'pose I do talk a bit funny, aye, an' nay, not e'eryone talks like I do." She watched him prance around, still laughing. "I've allus talked as I do, li'l un, 's how e'eryone does, where I'm from." She doubted the pup really cared for an answer to his endless stream of questions, and that was fine. It was a trait that would not serve him well if he retained it, but there was plenty of time to grow out of such a thing. Let puppies be puppies, she figured; this one was so young that a bit of impatience was acceptable.

She danced around nimbly as he tried grabbing her voluminous tail, keeping it out of his grasp. "Ah, ah, now!" she scolded gently. "'At sort o'thing 'urts, li'l un." The smile never left her face. It was so nice, she thought, for one's most important goal in life to be deciding on a game to play. There were many games she knew of that she had played when she was young, but she had been of a fairly calm temperament as a young one, and she doubted if many of the games she had played growing up could hold this one's attention for long. So she settled for one of the most basic games she knew, one that would be well suited for this one's energy level. "Le's play tag!" she exclaimed. She pointed her stang at the stump the little snowball had been chewing on a few minutes prior. "That'll be base," she said, before laying her stang in the snow. "Whoe'er's it tries t'tag whoe'er en't. Base is safe groun', ye cannae be tagged 'slong 's yer touchin' it." She paused for a moment before grinning, lunging forward and tapping the pup on the nose. "Yer it!" she called, before taking off at an easy lope, not too fast for the pup to keep up if he followed.

ooc- For the sake of not taking forever, I did go ahead and say Cerri tapped him on the nose. If that's not okay, let me know and I'll change it ^^.

table credit titmouse

[/html]
[html]

Derrrrppp I forgot about this post after I joined; I got so caught up in the other posts I'm involved in Sad Oh well! I'm updating it now, as I'd like to continue rping with you Cerridwyn

Delwyn was unsurprisingly very good at tag. His boundless energy allowed him to continue scampering about long after his siblings would have been worn out. Cerridwyn was merciful in her play, and would feign dismay after allowing the puppy to tag her, and would let the pup 'escape' from her now and again. After another hour or two passed, Delwyn finally tuckered himself out, and plopped down into a felty section of lichen.

The pup was ever an inquisitive lad, and suddenly began to wonder about something: "You're not from the Valley are you? he asked, "What's it like where you come from? And why did you leave?" Even as he asked, he rolled onto his back and stretched himself out in an almost comically exagerrated fashion. His tail was still thumping rhythmically back and forth from the fun he'd had from playing. "And who is Danu?"

[/html]
ooc: Yay! I was hoping you'd want to continue with this thread, I'm having fun with it Big Grin. I have a phobia of bugging people about threads, or I would've poked you to remind you of it Wink.

word count: 336

ic: The lean hybrid was far from out of shape; however, she was grateful when the pup finally wore himself out and plopped down on the ground. Two hours of tag was a little more than she'd bargained for, and she was willing to bet that given another hour or so of rest that the little one would be bounding around once more, so she was glad for the moment of respite.

She chuckled to herself as he began to ask questions. Apparently he'd been listening more than she'd thought; she revised her initial opinion of his impatience. She settled down on the ground next to him, picking up her stang and fondling it as she caught her breath from the afternoon's romp. "Nae, m'dear, frae the Valley I'm not." She paused, considering his question, and how to answer it. The story of her ousting from her tribe was not really one for young ears, and her smile faltered a little at the memories. "Where I'm from... there's much th' same, an' much diff'rent. It's an isle, a bit o' land wi' water on all sides. We 'ad none o' th' houses like ye've got 'ere, only dens. An' no one walked on two legs, 'cept me." She stopped there, before the pup got bored. "I left b'cause... well, my tribe an' I, we got into a sort o' disagreement. It's a long an' borin' story, really, that'd put ye t'sleep sure as shootin'. Mebbe I'll tell ye th' 'ole thing one day when it's time fer a nap."

She smiled down at the pup. "Danu... Danu is everythin'. An' everyone. All of us 'ave got a bit o' her in us, an' so do th' trees, an' the water an' th' sun. Even Bre'er Hare has got a bit o' Danu in 'im. She created us, an' watches o'er to make sure we behave like as we're s'posed to." She winked at him. "Speakin' o' behavin', does yer mum know yer out frolickin' wi' strange ladies?"
[html]

Delwyn listened intently to what Cerridwyn had to say: he always loved hearing the answers to his questions. "Aww I don't think you're strange Miss... Miss... " Delwyn suddenly gasped, "I don't know your name!" His tail dipped between his tiny legs with shame when he realized he'd failed to use any of the good manners he'd been painstakingly taught. He hadn't even introduced himself. "Umm... my name is Delwyn. My mama is Xeris and my papa is Pendzez" he said in a somewhat subdued voice. "It is a pleasure to meet you!" And then his tail started wagging again. "My mom might not know where I am, but I don't think she minds when I go out to play!

He was perhaps too young to understand the concept of divinity, so when Danu was explained to him, the meaning went over his head a bit. The idea of an omnipresent being was completely alien to a puppy, so it didn't make any sense to him yet. "But where does Danu live? Does she have a house?" The pup's orange eyes were fixed intently on Cerridwyn; his interest was peaked.

[/html]
ooc: Oops! Just got your PM XD. Yeah, I meant to have her tell him her name, I just forgot to put it in there lmao. Edited to include that now :-p.

Cerridwyn laughed gently as the pup protested her calling herself strange, and then realized that he hadn't introduced himself. She thought that this one's parents must have taught him well to recognize a possible breach in manner so young. "'S very nice t'meet ye, as well, young Delwyn -- m'name is Cerridwyn," she replied,an undercurrent of mirth in her voice.

She smiled as he asked where Danu lived. Perhaps it had been a mistake to try to explain theology to one so young, although she had tried to simplify it quite a bit. Still, she had started, and it wouldn't be fair to Delwyn to tell him she'd explain when he was older. That kind of thing was infuriating. "Danu... Danu en't like you or me," she said patiently. "She dun need an 'ouse t'live in. She lives everywhere." The hybrid paused, realizing that she was talking in very vague terms and probably not simplifying quite enough, but she wasn't sure how to put it. "Lemme try t'explain it this way," she said. "Danu is nae like any creature ye've e'er seen. Y'cannae see 'er, bu' y'can hear 'er talk t'ye sometimes. She's very powerful bu' very kind, and can see e'erythin' 'appenin' in th' world, all at once."

The pale youth's words about his mom concerned Cerridwyn a little. "I'm sure she dun mind when ye go out t'play," she explained. "But she's prob'ly worried 'bout ye, nae knowing where ye are. 'S a dangerous time t'be lost, li'l un."
[html]

Delwyn's grasp on theology was tenuous at best, but the lad was nothing if not bright, and he quickly caught on. In his mind, this Danu was the sky, the sun and the wind, all intangible but present. The thought of them watching him always was both comforting and disconcerting to say the least. If nothing else, Delwyn was tickled by the idea that the entire world could now be his friend. Carefully he let the subject drop.

The pup was becoming used to his elders being concerned by him wandering off alone: it was a bad habit he had been excersizing perhaps too frequently of late. Heading off the probable chiding or scolding by his parents if he was out alone for too long, he said: "I know! How about we go to my mama's cabin!" His tail began to wag and he started running about in tight circles. Already his rambuctious nature was bubbling forth again; apparently two hours of tag was only enough to tire the tyke out for a dozen minutes at best. "You can meet my brother, Carwyn, and my sister, Xion! Maybe you can meet my papa if he's there! I wonder if mama's home! She likes going fishing! Have you ever gone fishing? Come on! It's this way!" and with that, he went tearing off through the trees, back towards his home.

[/html]
ooc: Sorry about the wait! Daniel said he would join the thread so that Cerri can get Delwyn to Pendzez, because there's no way she'd leave the pup without one of his parents there XD. So I guess I'll get us to the cabin and then Daniel can join?

ic: Cerridwyn smiled as Delwyn proposed that they go to his mother's cabin. Well, that was easy. Thankfully she hadn't had to cajole the tyke into finding his parents. He began running about in circles, and she took a deep breath; undoubtedly there was a lot of exercise coming up in the near future as she had been right about the pup tiring out; it didn't take much for him to get all that energy back all over again.

The pup prattled on for a second longer and then was off, a little white streak into the underbrush. She quickly grabbed her stang and took off after him, keeping pace just behind the pup, who seemed to know exactly where he was going. It wasn't long before they came upon a cabin, one which she assumed was Delwyn's parents'. She paused at the edge of the area cleared for the domicile. She was almost used to seeing these buildings in the packlands now, but they still intimidated her just a little, being so unfamiliar. She was sure Delwyn would run shouting through the door any moment now, excitable little thing, but she let out a small howl to announce her friendly presence. She didn't know the wolves that lived here and, even though they were pack members, it was always polite to announce yourself.
OOC: SO sorry for the wait.

Things seemed quiet for the morning. There wasn't much stuff to be doing, despite the white wolf being the Nuncio of Phoenix Valley. All he did... for now, was pacing back and forth moving and arranging some things around so to look like there was more room. He left the chairs near the fire, so the family could gather around to keep warm. He put his masamune on a rack near the door that was on the wall. That way, the kids won't get to it and hurt themselves. His spear, Icicle Shard, had it's head covered and put into the corner with the bamboo spears. The bed stayed where it was. Better. Now there was more room, if more stuff was to come in.

A light howl was heard as Pendzez's ears perked up at the sound. A howl of peace it sounded like, but it wasn't an out-of-packer. Opening the door, Pendzez saw a female outside, along with Delwyn. Pendzez quickly knew what happened. "You called?" he said politely as his gaze went to the female from Delwyn.
ooc: Ahaha. This is pathetically short and none too good. My apologies for that and the long wait >.o

ic: The collie mix didn't have to wait long for her polite howl to produce results; only a few seconds later a head peeked through the door, followed by the body of a male, presumably Delwyn's father. "You called?" "Aye," she replied, smiling. "Found this li'l bugger nae too far frae 'ere. I think 'e b'longs t'ye?"

She approached the now-open door of the cabin, stopping at a personable but respectable distance from the male. "We ha'n't met, I dun b'lieve," she observed. "M'name's Cerridwyn."
Pendzez had a strange look on his face ashe heard the female spoke. She sounded funny, the way she spoke. However, the white male managed to understand what she was saying. "Yes, he is mine. I hope he wasn't causing any trouble." He gave a glance over to the standing next to the female. His red eyes traced to the body of the smaller wolf of any markings. None at all.

He returned his gaze to the female, who was of a different mixed than what the white male has seen before. Cerridwyn is what she said was her name. "Hello, Cerridwyn. I'm Pendzez." He walked out, closing the door behind him. He stopped on the top step on the porch of the cabin. "So, how long have you been here for?"