Canine diseases
A dog's first vaccine is always against DHPP (short for Distemper, Hepatitis, Para Influenza and Parvovirus) Four major diseases that if left untreated, can be fatal to pretty much any canine.

After googling some information, I found out that all of the previously mentioned have been killing wolves too.

Canine Distemper is ultimately responsible for the low survival rates of wolf pups in Yellowstone. The overall gray wolf population declined in Yellowstone last year by 27%.

Canine distemper is usually transmitted through contact with respiratory secretions. But contact with fecal material and the urine of infected dogs or things they have contaminated can also cause infection.

Here are a list of the symptoms: http://www.dogsymptomscure.com/dog-distemper-symptoms.php

Infectious Canine Hepatitis is an acute liver infection in canines. It's viral and thus, highly contagious. The virus is spread in the feces, urine, blood, saliva, and nasal discharge of infected dogs. It is contracted through the mouth or nose, where it replicates in the tonsils. The virus then infects the liver and kidneys.

Wiki has a list of symptoms here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_canine_hepatitis

Canine Parainfluenza is a highly contagious respiratory disease that is frequently confused with kennel cough. It is airborne.

While the symptoms are very similar, canine parainfluenza is actually a major factor that can cause kennel cough, which is an acute inflammation of the upper airways. The disease can progress to pneumonia in puppies or chronic bronchitis in older dogs.

Link to the symptoms: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5254793_canine-p...a-symptoms.html

And last but not least, Parvovirus is fecal-oral, highly contagious and often FATAL. Parvo can be carried on the canine's hair and feet, as well as on contaminated crates, shoes, and other objects. For example, canine steps in fecal matter and then proceeds to lick its paws.

Additional info and symptoms here: http://aboutdogsandpets.com/canine-parvovirus

And that's only the four major illnesses. This doesn't count the parasites passed down from a mother's milk down to her pups 99.9999999% of the time. All puppies have parasites, benign for the most part. And then you have the wicked ones like coccidia, who weaken a puppy's immune system and leave the killing blow to parvovirus or distemper.

Wolves have on average 5 to 6 puppies per litter but they can go up to as many as 12 puppies, if not more. Realistically, these diseases would be fatal to a vast majority of the pups (as much as 50% or so).

Lyme disease is another one, not quite as deadly but an annoyance nonetheless. It's transmitted via ticks - it mostly affects the joints. Symptoms include: stiff walk and arched back, sensitivity to the touch, loss of appetite, difficulty breathing, etc.

I don't think I've ever seen anything RPed like this before. Just putting the idea out there. -shrug-

/endbabble.
Canine distemper made its way around a few years back and kind of caused Esper Hollow to fall apart, though no one died directly from it (as far as I remember, but I have a terrible memory). Laruku went blind as an after effect.

Other than that, I don't really recall many characters that have gotten sick from canine-specific diseases, though I think they make for fun plots. :>
This info is fun! Makes for variation if you want to kill your character off, or give it some suffering without going for the usual violence/accident/rape type plots Big Grin
:o I didn't know Esper Hollow had fallen victim to distemper, or that Laruku had gone blind after it. That's pretty awesome actually. I think I might go dig up some old threads later. :>

And yeah, I was kind of aiming to give people a few extra ideas. I've noticed many are having muse issues lately. It's a lengthy plot to get involved in and it does help avoid the typical violence players often turn to when wanting to add a little spice to their character's lives. Not that there's anything wrong with that. >_>

-nodnod-
This is really useful information. I might use it as a "way to go" if I don't want my character to have a violent death or die of old age. It would also be good for those who want their characters to have pups and grieve over lost pups without going the violent kidnapping or killed by a predator route, which often just isn't plausible when it's in pack grounds. There isn't much to do about sickness.

Also, sorry for the issues you're having with your pup. :c Thanks for providing this information for us, though.
Haha, Laruku was fun to write for as a rambling and hallucinating, sick man.

Now that I think about it, I don't know why more people don't play out illnesses. It is so great making characters suffer like that. 8D
QUOTE (Arkham Lykoi @ Feb 8 2012, 12:36 PM)
Haha, Laruku was fun to write for as a rambling and hallucinating, sick man.

Now that I think about it, I don't know why more people don't play out illnesses. It is so great making characters suffer like that. 8D [/quote]
It's harder to wax poetic about snot and vomit than scarlet oceans of blood and ropes of intestines? 8D

Methinks I need to stalk old threads more. Hallucinating sick characters are the best. <3
Gemma's pup died of sickness.

And I think Lilith is going to die that way, and I'm not sure if someone else will take the pups away from Amy and watch them sicken and die or if she'll succeed in killing them.
I'm actually killing Zera off through Tuberculosis. I thought it would be interesting for the Luperci virus to also cause Luperci's to be susceptible to human diseases as well.
Just tossing it out there that I approve of spreading this info Big Grin

Also, if anyone is interested in a plot like this and wants more information than presented here (even though it's got some awesome info!) - please feel free to shoot me a message, too! This is what I'm in school for, hehe.
QUOTE (Vesper @ Feb 8 2012, 12:56 PM)
Methinks I need to stalk old threads more. Hallucinating sick characters are the best. <3 [/quote]
For your reading pleasure:
I miss stalking Laruku x Ahren threads, those were awesome. I think Kiri should RP again too. :>

And Meghann, would you mind if I send a message your way on AIM? I have a few questions regarding sulfadimethoxine.

Btw, glad to see this thread could help some of you. <3
A message may work better, I'm not online all the time, but I'm pretty much always signed into AIM unless I haven't opened it since the last time my computer restarted, haha. But sure! I can try and help you with any questions you have. Smile